X2 beware it CORRUPUTS memory card content!

Search This thread

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
People beware!!!
This failure X2 corrupts memory cards!
Completely corrputs the content!

Sooner or later you’ll also encounter this –
confirmed by many other users!

So if you still decide to use this unreliable piece of failure,
be sure to make backups!!!!

coloboxp

Feb 10, 2009
People beware!!!
This failure X2 corrupts memory cards!
Completely corrputs the content!

Sooner or later you’ll also encounter this –
confirmed by many other users!

So if you still decide to use this unreliable piece of failure,
be sure to make backups!!!!

Indeed,

I lost 7Gb aprox of very valuable stuff, like source code, documentation, photos, charts, music, software, video, backups, and so on.. :mad:

I think i may found the pattern (kind of) because after the first corrupted memory it happend to me seeeeeveral times...

Its like if i start an app (lets say a game) that uses a lot of resources, the game is laggy and somehow it closes OR you use another app on the same time that is installed on the SD, like they crash by sharing some kind of resource... im not quite sure but at least two times after "playing" (i quote it because its mega laggy) i saw my Program Files folder EMPTY...

At least this time it doesnt f*** the whole card..

indycar

Apr 10, 2010
Bohinjska Bela
i wonder why OP hasnt posted a single good thing bout x2

i owe it and im quite satisfied with it it hass some things that need to be fixed but otherwise i like it

the only problem i have with it is that loses the sd card sometimes but as i read its the card problem (default one that came with it) its class2 (cheap $#"$#!%%&Z&#&"%%""% provider)

alesmatusek

Jan 27, 2009
indycar: You are terrible wrong! The card problem issue is the X2 problem NOT card! I try a lot of cards (differents manufacturer, size, class). The point is, that X2 automatically turn off card when you stand by device and it turn on when you wake up X2 again. I´m thinking, that this should be a "feature" to increase power managing capabilities...

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
i wonder why OP hasnt posted a single good thing bout x2

i owe it and im quite satisfied with it it hass some things that need to be fixed but otherwise i like it

the only problem i have with it is that loses the sd card sometimes but as i read its the card problem (default one that came with it) its class2 (cheap $#"$#!%%&Z&#&"%%""% provider)

Well I wrote many good things about it before.
With a decent firmware it'a decent device and the best choice!!!!!!
But current firmware is a massacre confirmed by all users so no reason for good words....

The memory card problem is completely independent from the card, happened to me with both cards!!!

chuinkee

Oct 6, 2007
Another victim of memory card corruption. the whole content of the memory card just dissappear like*poof*. and the symtoms looks the same. system became incredably laggy all of the sudden. reboot the device and "watch your past disappear" (adapted from STFirst Contact when Borg Queen says "Watch your future ends")...

Ben

rsx19

Mar 12, 2010
the weird thing about my card is that only SOME things disappeared, i had several folders on my card little by little they disappeared but the files that werent in folders stayed and never got deleted, thought the card itself did not gain/lose any memory.

ring-bearer

Feb 1, 2009
You corrupted people should try some file recovery software to recover your card content. There are plenty of free recovery programs on the internet. You'd have to stick your card into your computer and run the software on the disk. Report back if you get it to work because if could help others.

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
You corrupted people should try some file recovery software to recover your card content. There are plenty of free recovery programs on the internet. You'd have to stick your card into your computer and run the software on the disk. Report back if you get it to work because if could help others.

Most of my content was backed up so I will not hassle with this.
However I would love to know how to eventually format the card to
to not to slow it down...

Avarell_Dalton

Apr 28, 2009
My card is also from today one of those who messes up. My files does not get deleted but when browsing the card from the phone it sometimes contains perhaps two out of the folders, sometimes the files is there (i guess) but folder and file names seams renamed. A look at the card on my computer shows every file/folder/file name intact.

Avarell_Dalton

Apr 28, 2009
Guys,

You who had the SD-card corrupted, did you install any applications on it that you use frequently?

As you might have read, my card only looked corrupted in the phone file explorer but yes, I installed every application on the card. Most used is S2P and Pocket player and of course all my music used by the apps mentioned.

If running S2P listening to music,the app suddenly halts. I then shuts S2P down and starts file explorer to see what happened the card looks partially deleted or all folder and file names corrupted (mounting the card on PC shows no errors at all).

In the beginning I had Outlook save incoming mail on card but as the card disconnects outlook creates a folder, Storage Card in root of phone. That creates a problem when the phone mounts the card again since it gets named Storage Card2 instead. That messes up all short cuts created by me or phone to the applications installed at the card.

I use card pre packed with phone and I see no reason to try another since others here reports no difference when replacing card.

bedlam_au

Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
TLDR: Don't install programs or attachments on your storage card.

I am now 100% certain that power management is behind the disappearing storage card issue, and is a culprit in a number of other bugs. It looks like when you put the device into standby, it switches off power to a number of components.

It's easy to see what happens with the storage card if you use SPB Mobile Shell. There's a handy shortcut under Tools - Browse Files - Storage Card. If you put that shortcut on your home screen and come out of standby, you'll usually see the icon return to the default unassigned shortcut. After anywhere between a fraction of and many seconds, the SD card icon will reappear.

Seems like some genius engineer at Foxconn, not knowing much about WinMo or stuff in general thought he was being very clever by saving what, 10mA? in shutting it off. Think of all those extra minutes of standby time saved.

I too suffered from a corrupted FAT, but thankfully all I really lost was MP3s I already had elsewhere. Since I figured out what's going on, I've had no trouble whatsoever. It does of course mean that I've had to make yet more compromises in the functionality of the device. The key is to make sure not to install programs on the storage card, or if you must, make sure the phone doesn't go into standby while running them. Also, don't choose to store email and MMS attachments on the card, or you'll get the Storage Card2 problem.

Stupid power management also explains these other things that have been bothering me, and many of you:
  • Notification sounds and lights not working properly.
  • Sporadic checking of email.
  • Custom ringtones disappearing (Hint: put them on main memory).
  • The phone randomly freezing when trying to work with Bluetooth car kits.

Presumably Sony engineers are aware of this, because if they aren't, God help us. I'm guessing that power management is such a low level issue that it's very difficult to fix with firmware if at all. That being the case, I'm not confident this phone will ever work properly and has most likely sounded the death knell for me for both Sony Ericsson and WinMo.

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
have you tried it?
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Suspend]
"shc1:"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Resuming]
"shc1:"=dword:00000000
We have been testing it with my friend for a while (since 24th of april) and he hasn't got any storage card problems after applying this *.reg. He had them every time before that.

bedlam_au

Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
@ultrashot: I think you've done it! Changed those keys and didn't even need to soft reset. I've been checking all day and haven't seen the storage card disappear once. Presumably it's going to stay that way.

Does someone feel like making up a cab for this? It'd make many people's day.

Top Liked Posts