[Q] General questions regarding the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 model

Search This thread

abdielol

Oct 12, 2010
Puerto Rico
I'd guess the Nexus would be smoother after a reset. The pinch zooming of home screens on the N10.1-14 isn't any faster whether it's factory fresh or with a ton of widgets (in my experience). I don't think the N10.1-14 is performing to the full capabilities of its h/w and think interim updates that would have helped were stopped to focus on the upcoming 4.4/M-UX update. But having said that there's a big difference between that and inferring it's a laggy mess as a couple of people here have tried to do. So you're saying that based on your experience you're hugely disappointed with the lag you're experiencing. I'm saying that 95% of the time with the exception being some transition lag (especially when a lot of background processes are going on) my N10.1-14 doesn't lag. Since neither of us can see what the other's talking about you can lose the righteous indignation because me and a couple of people here are posting experiences that may be different than yours.

I'm not saying anything at all about the people expressing different experiences. If you notice my posts, I've only replied to the people that have quoted me or asked further questions about my case with the lag. I haven't said (or even inferred) anything at all about the people who have snappy experiences with the tablet. On the countrary, I'm happy that your device was not like mine. I don't get where do you even see me being "angry" or indignant because people are posting different experiences than mine, mainly because I haven't said anything at all about anyone's experience with the tablet, I've only talked about MY experience.

This isn't about you. People should buy what makes them happy and if you're not happy by all means return your N10.1-14 and get something that does make you happy. But you, one person sharing one experience, can lead to this...

You're entitled to your opinion but if the people that disagree with you are "fanboys" does that make you and others with a different opinion "haters?" I don't personally think so and think that the (constructive) sharing of differing opinions and experiences are healthy. Everyone here's a big boy or girl and don't need you or me to tell them how to draw conclusions and weed through posts. I post counterpoint to comments like yours sometimes to give people perspective; and whenever possible pics or videos to back up what I'm sharing. I could personally care less what people here do individually (after all, there's over 4M) and whether or not they buy a product I own or are pleased with my comments. But I've been thanked a lot so I must be doing something to help people.

Maybe he said that because many other people have complained about the lag? Do you need me to link one of the many other threads complaining about it? I doubt that it was only because of me, one person, sharing my honest experience with the tablet.

I am not calling people who disagree with me fanboy, at ALL. How are you even getting at that? My post only said that my device felt slow and then I only responded to people who responded to me with more information. Look back on my posts and notice that I am not disagreeing with anyone posting nice experiences or anything like that, and honestly, there's nothing to disagree with my original post, since it was my personal experience with the tablet. I even said in many of my posts that I thought I had a defective unit and that I would report back if the issues were fixed. I don't get where you're getting at, mainly because I am not really "arguing" or with anyone here. If you felt offended by my fanboyism comment somehow, it is really not my problem. I am not going to bother to keep this pointless argument with you going, so feel free to say whatever makes you happy.

In any case: I've returned my tablet and I can tell that it feels MUCH better than the other I had, which crashed withing my first hour of use. I can still notice random stutters in the transitions, but it's not constant and it's really nothing like the other one. I've also only had it for 2 hours so, I can't say much. I am also completely stock with all the bloat too, so once I install CleanROM I'm sure it will be a lot better.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'm not sure how I got involved in the middle of this.

LOL, it was the way I constructed the post you're responding to. I was just giving your response to @abdielol as an example of how a few comments become lore. Even in this thread there are more people responding that the lag is occasional and livable than people saying otherwise. The questions in your OP were good and valid. As are the opinions in response; even those I don't agree with.

In any case. I've returned my tablet and I can tell that it feels MUCH better than the other I had, which crashed withing my first hour of use. I can still notice random stutters in the transitions, but it's not constant and it's really nothing like the other one.

Imagine that. While it sucks that you had to through two to get one that performs normally it kind of validates that those of us saying that the lag and stuttering were occasional aren't crazy. Believe me, with what I paid for my 3G version if it performed like your first one I'd be right there with you in the return line.

There are quite a few things I'd like to see done differently on the N10.1-14 and have said so in threads discussing them. I was one of the first here to get a N10.1-14 and one of the first things I said was "it didn't feel finished." Especially compared to the N3 I'd gotten recently. I believe a lot of the performance (EG: lag) issues aren't due to "bloat" but to non-optimized s/w. If you look at the videos from the Pro/Note's at CES their UI performance is significantly better than ours. So I truly think/hope conversations like this will be short lived.

No hard feelings. :)

Feb 6, 2014
LOL, it was the way I constructed the post you're responding to. I was just giving your response to @abdielol as an example of how a few comments become lore. Even in this thread there are more people responding that the lag is occasional and livable than people saying otherwise. The questions in your OP were good and valid. As are the opinions in response; even those I don't agree with.

Imagine that. While it sucks that you had to through two to get one that performs normally it kind of validates that those of us saying that the lag and stuttering were occasional aren't crazy. Believe me, with what I paid for my 3G version if it performed like your first one I'd be right there with you in the return line.

There are quite a few things I'd like to see done differently on the N10.1-14 and have said so in threads discussing them. I was one of the first here to get a N10.1-14 and one of the first things I said was "it didn't feel finished." Especially compared to the N3 I'd gotten recently. I believe a lot of the performance (EG: lag) issues aren't due to "bloat" but to non-optimized s/w. If you look at the videos from the Pro/Note's at CES their UI performance is significantly better than ours. So I truly think/hope conversations like this will be short lived.

No hard feelings. :)

Oh ok! I just wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertently offend anyone.

I would agree with you there - even my S4 had a biit of transitional lag before i got rid of touchwiz - I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the majority of the transition lag people complain about is due to the touchwiz software being less than desirable. I know myself though that I am a gamer and I will want to play the graphically intense games on my tablet which is why I am looking at a pretty pricey one. Have you played games on the N10.1-14 yet? I haven't seen any videos of a graphically intense game yet and was wondering if anyone could post something like that (if you did, I apologize very much - I missed it :() because a little bit of transition lag doesn't mean much to me - I will get Nova Launcher and that will be gone just like it was on my S4, but if games also aren't going to run well, then that's where I will have a problem.

I really don't want to end up buying an iPad LOL - I would much rather stay with Android.

Feb 6, 2014
Oh ok! I just wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertently offend anyone.

I would agree with you there - even my S4 had a biit of transitional lag before i got rid of touchwiz - I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the majority of the transition lag people complain about is due to the touchwiz software being less than desirable. I know myself though that I am a gamer and I will want to play the graphically intense games on my tablet which is why I am looking at a pretty pricey one. Have you played games on the N10.1-14 yet? I haven't seen any videos of a graphically intense game yet and was wondering if anyone could post something like that (if you did, I apologize very much - I missed it :() because a little bit of transition lag doesn't mean much to me - I will get Nova Launcher and that will be gone just like it was on my S4, but if games also aren't going to run well, then that's where I will have a problem.

I really don't want to end up buying an iPad LOL - I would much rather stay with Android.

Would anyone recommend waiting for the TabPro? seems it has a new user interface other than touchwiz which may solve most of the problems with the lag and performance?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Would anyone recommend waiting for the TabPro? seems it has a new user interface other than touchwiz which may solve most of the problems with the lag and performance?

If you're talking about the Tab|Pro 10.1 it only has 2GB of RAM so there's less going on than with the N10.1-14 but less to power it all also. If you read this thread leaks of 4.4/M-UX are starting to show up for the N10.1-14. No one knows yet whether we'll get everything the Tab/Note Pro's are getting but we're getting some of it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639713

Feb 6, 2014
If you're talking about the Tab|Pro 10.1 it only has 2GB of RAM so there's less going on than with the N10.1-14 but less to power it all also. If you read this thread leaks of 4.4/M-UX are starting to show up for the N10.1-14. No one knows yet whether we'll get everything the Tab/Note Pro's are getting but we're getting some of it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639713

Ahhh gotcha - good to know. Man - this is a tough decision...