Evo Shift Root Exploit and Development Thread

Search This thread

zeropants

Jan 16, 2007
Bloomington, IL
I'm coming from the Hero as well. I don't care if the root ends up being 1-click or if I have to do everything through adb and transferring files again.

S

sirmx

I'm coming from the Hero as well. I don't care if the root ends up being 1-click or if I have to do everything through adb and transferring files again.

I hope at first it's really involved. More fun that way. :cool:

Also probably a soon-to-be shift user (from HeroC), if things play out right.

fifedogg

Apr 12, 2010
Is there actual confirmation that somebody is actually trying to perm root this thing. Has the unrevoked team said anything?

ajs2677

Apr 3, 2010
Collinsville, OK
It certainly pushed me to learn a lot more about Android by not having a one-click root method for the HeroC. I think that can only be a good thing. :p

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I don't think entering a bunch of code or doing a bunch of steps is difficult or any better or worse thana 1 click method. The reason I don't want to do something like the temp rooting is because there are some people who say it isn't working and others who say it is even when doing the exact same steps. I don't like reports like that. Having a perm root be involved is fine by me as long as it is a 100% success rate if done correctly. I don't want to hope it works even when done correctly so i will gladly wait.

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
Is there actual confirmation that somebody is actually trying to perm root this thing. Has the unrevoked team said anything?

unrevoked did mention it (check out their twitter from last week or so) and apparently g2root has said they are working on it as well (don't know where to find proof of that tho) and a few of the devs on here have stated they are working on it.

x99percent

Dec 18, 2007
Detroit
I don't think entering a bunch of code or doing a bunch of steps is difficult or any better or worse thana 1 click method. The reason I don't want to do something like the temp rooting is because there are some people who say it isn't working and others who say it is even when doing the exact same steps. I don't like reports like that. Having a perm root be involved is fine by me as long as it is a 100% success rate if done correctly. I don't want to hope it works even when done correctly so i will gladly wait.

The ONLY reason (that I'm aware of) that people are saying it doesn't work is because the temp root process isn't 100% successful... and when it fails, people chicken out and don't try again because they are scared of damaging something. Why? I don't know... we have the official RUU folks!

After a reboot, if I try to attempt to apply temp root again and the shell seems to restart (shows the "4G" logo), I know that the process failed. I can yank the battery or "adb reboot" and try again. For me, if temp rooting fails the first time, it has ALWAYS worked the second time.

cloverdale

Feb 9, 2009
Eugene, OR
www.jbthemes.com
The ONLY reason (that I'm aware of) that people are saying it doesn't work is because the temp root process isn't 100% successful... and when it fails, people chicken out and don't try again because they are scared of damaging something. Why? I don't know... we have the official RUU folks!

After a reboot, if I try to attempt to apply temp root again and the shell seems to restart (shows the "4G" logo), I know that the process failed. I can yank the battery or "adb reboot" and try again. For me, if temp rooting fails the first time, it has ALWAYS worked the second time.

Same for me, it has NEVER failed twice in a row.

I should send the 2 of you my phone. I've tried it dozens of times.

I've got a sinking suspicion that one of my daily apps isn't liking what the temp root is trying to do.

If 6+ times in a row with both visionary and then with z4 aren't enough, then I don't know what is. Not like this is my first android phone or attempt at rooting.

Both programs, click it, phone nearly instant reboots. Click, boom, reset. Let it boot, slow and crappy. Reboot again, try again, same thing. Battery pull, try again, boom, instant reboot.

I've tried every single suggestion everyone has given me WITH the exception of hard reset. I don't WANT to hard reset because other than root, my phone is exactly the way I want with my daily apps.

If anyone is near Tampa, Florida, I'm more than willing let anyone else try the exact same steps and report back that what I'm saying (and several others have been saying) is that something IS different.

falz

Aug 6, 2007
Have you tried using a task killer to close all running apps first? Also uninstall the superuser app first if you haven't already.

akmzero

Aug 11, 2010
Buffalo
I had problems getting it to temp root until I checked the option "run vision.sh after root"

After that no issues.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Falz, tried that.

Akmzero, that was one of the first suggestions that I tried.

With z4, I made sure superuser was installed.

With visionary I made sure it was NOT installed.

There's quite a few other folks here and on Androidcentral's Shift forum reporting exactly the same behavior as I am. I'm content to wait for a perm root solution and working recovery. I have no doubt if I factory reset my phone and did this first thing it'd work and as I installed apps one by one, I'd probably find what app is messing with it. But, I have it right where I'm happy and productive with work and the hassle of going through all that now just isn't work a temp root solution.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the shift compared to the evo. I'm accomplishing way more with it and the keyboard than I ever could with the on-screen only keyboard.

RyteSyde

Aug 23, 2010
Root etc

I had roghly 50 apps installed before i tried the temp root. First I installed z4 and Titanium backup. Ran z4 and it didn't do squat but reboot the phone. I never got any messages about it being rooted and I had to do a battery pull a couple of times. I tried another version and it did the same thing. uninstalled superuser, tried the latest version and same thing. Then I tried visionary and that worked after the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Once visionary said it was rooted, ran Titanium and it complained. So in Titanium I clicked the problems option which downloads box. Then I went into options and set chuck norris mode on. Then options >> refresh apps and voila, all the apps. Removed one of the sprint apps first by holding it down and force remove (last option) as others have mentioned. It reboots right away, gives you the HDD image with a red ? above it, reboots again and once it loads, the app is history. I've removed nfl, nascar, flickr, google chat, footprints (and widget), sprint central, amazon mp3, stocks (& widget) and some others I don't recall. It's a pain one by one but just did it while watching some tv.

Some notes: I ended up turning off auto-root for visionary. I found it better to wait for the phone to completely boot, then run it myself and ask for temp root. Was more stable that way for me. On one occasion the visionary icon didn't come back and was nowhere to be found. Had to remove the com...apk then re-install to get it back, but no problems otherwise. Also for Titanium, a couple of times after rooting I'd have to re-click the problems? option and re-download box for it to work, again, no biggie.

The only other issue I had with removing everything was after removing stocks widget, when it rebooted I had sense crash and act flaky right after. I just chalked it up to having removed the widget but not the core app yet. I pressed on and removed the core app and it's been fine since. The only minute other issue is after removing amazon mp3, the icon still shows up in all programs list as the correct icon (not broken) but you can't run it because it doesn't exist. I dunno how to remove that icon but it's no big deal, at least it's not there.

I was waiting to see if permaroot would come out instead of messing with the temp stuff but after all's said and done, glad I temp'd. It's nice to see that bloatware long gone. So for me, z4 was junk and visionary worked like a champ. If you don't want to wait for perm but are nervous about temping, don't be. Unless you pick the wrong app to remove in titanium, you've nothing to worry about.

The task list has now changed and instead of all of that junk being pre-loaded, it's now filled with apps I use. Granted, just because it's in the list doesn't mean they are actually running, they're mostly just pre-loaded in case you do use that app but regardless, I'd rather have it pre-loaded with what I use rather than stocks etc.

This phone is the bomb

kevyli85

Sep 11, 2007
Atlanta
Compusmurf try putting it in airplane mode before you temp root. That's the only way z4 works for me

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

cosine83

Apr 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
www.grathwohl.me
One thing I've noticed about z4 is that if I use a task killer before using, I always get a reboot. If I don't then odds are high I get temp root. Visionary would always work but I would get a random reboot about thirty minutes after temp rooting.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

herbthehammer

May 16, 2010
The problem with that is, if you just click delete it comes back after a restart, where if you do the long click method it's removed completely.

Be very careful on what you delete. I have had to ruu twice now because I deleted something that seemed unnecessary. Social network was one thing and one of the footprints ones started me down the path of a borked phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please place all of your discussions about obtaining root on the Evo Shift here.

Temp root:
    Temporary root can be acheived a number of ways on the shift the easiest being either z4root app or the visionary plus root app.

Z4root:
    download here and install as you would any other apk
    open the app and hit temporary root
    let it run till you are notified of its success
    you now have temporary root!!
    *Note you have to reapply z4 each time you reboot your phone

Visionary:
    full instructions and the link to visionary can be found here.
    http://android.modaco.com/content/h...m/320722/19-nov-r14-visionary-one-click-root/

IMPORTANT NOTE!
    PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OTA UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they patched the root exploit on the desire z when they updated you can most definitely expect them to do the same for the shift so please for that sake of everybody being able to get proper root do not accept any updates unless further notified!!!

unless you just dont care about root that is.....
    I'll just put this right here. Patience, folks.

http://i.imgur.com/mn5iW.jpg

And this for clarity:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5365/picture3h.jpg (this is my personal phone)

I don't take credit for ANY of this. My phone is just being used to test **** on by devs. Thank them profusely with donations when they post a perma-root method. It's only "soft" s-off, btw. A new hboot would set s-on again. Radio s-off would be perma-off.
    Also in a previous thread bubby323 requested a dump of /system and dnalevelc obliged:

* http://www.digglesworth.net/evoshift/system.7z

In another forum (androidcentral) someone noted that an app called VISIONary works to auto temp-root the Shift upon boot.

* http://android.modaco.com/content/h...m/320722/19-nov-r14-visionary-one-click-root/

Edit: Also there's code to temp root the G2 using a different exploit below. I haven't attempted to run it on my Shift. Possibly not relevant since it has a newer version but could be if an update is pushed to the Shift:

* https://github.com/tmzt/g2root-kmod/tree/scotty2/scotty2/psneuter
    I receive the following message after allowing Superuser and receiving confirmation of root (#)

# cannot create kmsg_shift.log: read-only file system

I'm on my way to get a root canal, so I will try later and check to see if anything has changed on here.

Thanks for checking this out for us.

Update: tried hitting enter on the HW keyboard instead of the soft and was able to generate the log. E-mail sent.

Err, sorry - I wrote the command wrong in my list.

It should be cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/kmsg_shift.log &

Either way though, I got enough logs from everyone, and it gave me what I needed to know :).

Thanks everyone!! (GREAT news for you Shift users once aosp comes out for it, FYI)
    If u do cat /proc/emmc you can see the actual partition layout

$ cat /proc/emmc
    dev: size erasesize name

mmcblk0p17: 00040000 00000200 "misc"

mmcblk0p21: 0087f400 00000200 "recovery"

mmcblk0p22: 00400000 00000200 "boot"

mmcblk0p26: 1f7bf600 00000200 "system"

mmcblk0p29: 00140200 00000200 "local"

mmcblk0p28: 09a7fa00 00000200 "cache"

mmcblk0p27: 1bbffe00 00000200 "userdata"

mmcblk0p31: 01400200 00000200 "devlog"

mmcblk0p32: 00040000 00000200 "pdata"