Sprint to activate LTE on 800mhz band... in 2014

Search This thread

killakarl

Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/13/sprint-lte-800mhz/

Anyone else a little disappointed in this?

I know that this complete network overhaul is going to be one of the fastest ever but being as far behind as they are [and will be] it seems like this should be done with the Network Vision roll out, not after.

They still have about 6 million people on the frequency and they are cutting 33% of the towers. They also have to get approval from the FCC go use that spectrum for lte. It all can't be an instantaneous process.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

dmchssc

Nov 6, 2011
Boston, MA
The problem is that they won't have had time to completely clear the spectrum of Nextel users until late 2013 at the earliest. They've already started the refarming process in some areas so they can start launching 1x-Advanced carriers for improved voice coverage. Voice is still a priority for Sprint, and they can only clear enough spectrum for one or two 1.25 mhz CDMA carriers (vs a 3 or 5 mhz LTE carrier that doesn't do voice) for the time being.

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
I respect and fully understand the problem but this is a pretty serious situation.
Sprint is already far behind the big two...and actually they're behind T-Mobile and Metropcs too.

How much longer can they afford to delay?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rob4828

Nov 13, 2011
I guess i can wait. My upgrade isnt until 2014 anyways

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

killakarl

Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
They are still putting out lte on there 1900 band so everywhere their 3g is will be covered with lte. You should head over to s4gru.com or something like that. I've read some articles that put some of my questions at ease.

tenaciousj

Jan 1, 2011
Michigan
Yeah was a bit mad when I saw this. If data speeds don't pick up for me by the time my contract comes up for renewal I'm going to Verizon. 2014 is too far away to deal with dial up speeds and closest Wimax tower about 50 miles away.

Reactions: ffolkes

punwik

Jan 9, 2011
Dallas
They better pull a rabbit out before sept. Or im jumping ship.

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
They are still putting out lte on there 1900 band so everywhere their 3g is will be covered with lte. You should head over to s4gru.com or something like that. I've read some articles that put some of my questions at ease.

The 1900 band is better than the 2.5 GHZ band, but it will still have building penetration issues.

I've read that site and I don't think this is a "do or die" situation, but I think getting ALL of this done ASAP is a priority.
Because, no matter what, they are behind.

odub303

Nov 30, 2007
I think people have misunderstood this piece of news. Sprint is still rolling out LTE this year. This is additional LTE to what they are rolling out this year. The addition of 800 mhz LTE is part of network vision, its one if the last pieces.

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
I think people have misunderstood this piece of news. Sprint is still rolling out LTE this year. This is additional LTE to what they are rolling out this year. The addition of 800 mhz LTE is part of network vision, its one if the last pieces.

Correct, but the 800mhz band is what's really going to make the difference and really going to allow better competition with Verizon's 700mhz band.

Honestly, I wouldn't fret about it. Things are changing so frequently that there's no telling what the next announcement will bring. Sprint knows it's in trouble, I listen to our corporate managers walk around all day making fun of how slow Sprint is. I've been hearing some information churning around about HTC and Samsung both stepping in to lend a hand in the roll-out. Last week was the first time I saw our Motorola rep in a long time as well, and I had an hour long conversation with him about LTE. There are a good number of new phones from Motorola alone coming this year and early next year with full LTE and HD Voice support, along with a software update for the Photon that may activate its dormant LTE radio. (He hinted about this being the plan for them to have the FIRST LTE device on Sprint's market and catch the other manufacturers off guard.)

Sounds good but I doubt many people are gonna run out and waste a upgrade on a Photon with the Galaxy Nexus, EVO 4G LTE and hopefully GS III due out around the same time but whatever happens I hope it happens fast because these data speeds are killing me.

tech7

Dec 20, 2006
So let me get this right so sprint will not turn on lte untol 2014?

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: tech7

kc_exactly

Oct 21, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I too am disappointed. Let me find an article that will explain how stupid Sprint is for wasting money and time. 800 is so much better for signal!!!!

Sent from Team KC's founding member HTC Evo 4G LTE.

tech7

Dec 20, 2006
No idea what frequency, probably 1900mhz, but he seemed to be rather positive it will work with Network Vision.

It'll make the people who already have a Photon extreeeeemely happy with Motorola earning their repeat busines, unlike HTC and their new phone every 5 months for a couple minor changes.

No, Network Vision will continue as planned supplying LTE at the 1900mhz frequency. In the future, they will begin adding a second channel (800mhz) to offload traffic and provide better inbuilding penetration.

Oh i was about to get all mad about this thanks for clearing that up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint employee here...can I clarify please?

Sprint is running LTE on 1900mhz g-block, a 10mhz chunk totally clear of traffic today, with a nationwide license. This means that the LTE coverage will mirror 3G coverage eventually.

On top of that, Sprint has roughly 14-18mhz of ESMR (800mhz) spectrum allocated for iDEN users. As that network gets sunsetted, the spectrum will be repurposed for 1xAdvanced, which will allow 4x the capacity for voice calls and 1x data.

Each one of the Network Vision sites will be upgraded with significantly enhanced backhaul, which will provide great 3G and LTE speeds. Granted, Sprint will deploy LTE on a 5x5 configuration, v.s. Verizon which is doing 10x10, or AT&T, who is trying to do 10x10 wherever possible. Difference being, with Network Vision, Sprint is upgrading each cell site, requiring a single truck roll, not an "overlay" like Verizon.

If you look at Verizon's LTE deployment, they are basically adding LTE radios and equipment to their existing sites. Sprint is upgrading their existing site and installing equipment which can run on any frequency, with any spectrum, with any technology. In theory, you'll get LTE coverage exactly the same as 3G coverage, so it will be consistent across the board.

Along with that, there is also LTE rev10 or LTE Advanced, which does spectrum bonding, which will allow a device to use both the 5x5 1900mhz and 5x5 800mhz, for LTE. Much faster speeds with existing equipment.

If you think about it, a device term/contract is 2 years, so you won't be upgrading your phone for at least 20 months, which means any device you purchase today will take full advantage of Network Vision, including LTE. Hell, even our Epic Touchs will get a faster data speed and increased coverage.
    Yeah was a bit mad when I saw this. If data speeds don't pick up for me by the time my contract comes up for renewal I'm going to Verizon. 2014 is too far away to deal with dial up speeds and closest Wimax tower about 50 miles away.
    So let me get this right so sprint will not turn on lte untol 2014?

No no no.
    LTE will be on as soon as this year in many places.
    They will NOT activate the 800mhz band until 2014.

(The 800mhz band is the real game changer for Sprint)

And THAT is why I think this needs to be as rushed as possible.
    With all due respect, unless you're downloading large files, you're not going to see a difference between 3mbps and "4g" speeds.

There's absolutely nothing you cannot do with your phone at 3mbps.

That includes HD movie streaming and video conferencing etc etc

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I think HD might need a lil more than 3mbps. I was just watching a HD vid on youtube and it kept buffering like crazy. Did a speedtest and for some reason my speeds are low in the 2-3mbs range right now. Plus dont other hd services like vudu require a connection of about 10mbps for HD? At least i recall it that way. Not saying ur wrong I'm just saying :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA