TI OMAP Drivers (now with 4470)

Search This thread

Woonder.ua

Jun 25, 2009
I modified a little bit omap_winusb.inf file for existing TI OMAP Drivers and now it supports OMAP4470 CPU too.

I just added only some lines for OMAP4470 device ID like:
Code:
%USB_OMAP4470% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_0451&Pid_d012

This driver can be installed on Windows x86 and x64 as well. I hope it will help somebody to make an unbricker for my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (now it can be detected only like an OMAP4470 device).

Drivers attached to this post.

Attachments

• omap_winusb.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 10,556
Last edited:

padest.com

Sep 12, 2012
I modified a little bit omap_winusb.inf file for existing TI OMAP Drivers and now it supports OMAP4470 CPU too.

Code:

This driver can be installed on Windows x86 and x64 as well. I hope it will help somebody to make an unbricker for my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (now it can be detected only like an OMAP4470 device).

Do you know how to use this driver mode?
adb code ? or fastboot code?

Woonder.ua

Jun 25, 2009
I know that this driver can be used in download mode (for example, to load external boot via USB cable and fix internal one). However I don't know how to use it programmatically.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Just a guess it`s for usb boot just like in the usage for firekit for the first gen kindle.

Woonder.ua

Jun 25, 2009
Exactly. However, I know no one tool, which can be applicable to flash OMAP4470 device in Windows. May be OMAPflash tool can do this, but I don't know how.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I wonder if there a chance of a windows based firekit for second gen devices. Although sadly windows is very crappy with these sort of applications, drivers and such.

Woonder.ua

Jun 25, 2009
I don't think so, because I know a lot of android devices on another processors, which supports flashing through download mode in Windows, even Samsung Galaxy Nexus (edition with OMAP processor). For example, my primary smartphone is JIAYU G2 based on MTK6577, and it can be flashed through download mode with battery removed - MediaTek distributes firmware tool for vendors only, but it was spread to destination users extremely fast because vendors don't want to make their own flash tools for fastboot/adb mode. So, I think it is possible indeed, but we need a right tool for flashing. And I know that Texas Instruments has such tool, but it is distributed only for device manufacturer.

Reactions: Thepooch
Dec 27, 2010
I was goijg through firekit and found that there is binary named usbboot
Since I have no experience with original kindle I little bit skeptical about this binary
Is it provided by amazon/ti
Or is it built by pokey
In any ways is there same binary or method to boot KHFD 8.9

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Since I have no experience with original kindle I little bit skeptical about this binary
Or is it built by pokey

usbboot website

Quoted from a PM...
Pokey9000 said:
When the OMAP USB boots, it first waits a bit to handshake with a host. If the handshake is successful, the host sends a small loader to the OMAP that then does some hardware init and handshakes again with the host to get a payload to shove into RAM. This loader is similar to x-loader in that it has to be small enough to fit in the SRAM of the OMAP, and does low level initialization like mux, clock, and memory setup. However it differs in that it replaces the MMC and FAT handling in x-loader with USB loading as there's not enough room for a generic x-loader that does MMC and USB.

On HS OMAPs, this initial USB loader payload must be signed just like x-loader has to be for eMMC boot. If the payload doesn't have a signature that checks out, the OMAP halts until it's reset. This is enforced by hardware, so short of finding a sploit in the OMAP ROM code or a copy of Amazon's USB boot tools used in factory it's not going to work.
In short...no.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
In theory: Need a compatible usbboot/aboot which can bring up some kind of bootloader to enable fastboot for reflash all original partitions.

The reality: I'm not sure at what point the signature checks would be enforced. If usbboot needs to be signed to even load.. then it's dead.

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
In theory: Need a compatible usbboot/aboot which can bring up some kind of bootloader to enable fastboot for reflash all original partitions.

The reality: I'm not sure at what point the signature checks would be enforced. If usbboot needs to be signed to even load.. then it's dead.

Much appreciated Hash. I guess he is better off ditching it on eBay for parts or praying Amazon will replace it for him.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Or is it built by pokey

usbboot website

Quoted from a PM...
    Pokey9000 said:
    When the OMAP USB boots, it first waits a bit to handshake with a host. If the handshake is successful, the host sends a small loader to the OMAP that then does some hardware init and handshakes again with the host to get a payload to shove into RAM. This loader is similar to x-loader in that it has to be small enough to fit in the SRAM of the OMAP, and does low level initialization like mux, clock, and memory setup. However it differs in that it replaces the MMC and FAT handling in x-loader with USB loading as there's not enough room for a generic x-loader that does MMC and USB.

On HS OMAPs, this initial USB loader payload must be signed just like x-loader has to be for eMMC boot. If the payload doesn't have a signature that checks out, the OMAP halts until it's reset. This is enforced by hardware, so short of finding a sploit in the OMAP ROM code or a copy of Amazon's USB boot tools used in factory it's not going to work.
    In short...no.
    I don't think so, because I know a lot of android devices on another processors, which supports flashing through download mode in Windows, even Samsung Galaxy Nexus (edition with OMAP processor). For example, my primary smartphone is JIAYU G2 based on MTK6577, and it can be flashed through download mode with battery removed - MediaTek distributes firmware tool for vendors only, but it was spread to destination users extremely fast because vendors don't want to make their own flash tools for fastboot/adb mode. So, I think it is possible indeed, but we need a right tool for flashing. And I know that Texas Instruments has such tool, but it is distributed only for device manufacturer.