[ROM] ROM for recovery G2X under the NVFLASH

Search This thread

phburks

Nov 11, 2010
Orlando, FL
THANK YOU THANK YOU

followed instructions restored completley to stock just like how i got phone out of box 2 weeks ago.

I was running eaglesblood v8 and had altered the vold.fstab file to switch mounts
from sdcard to internal and after that point i rebooted and media scanner said damaged sd card well i figured it just to be like an extension of a permission of sorts. and thought if formated it would the paths would switch no problem.
im actually kind of having a hard time rembering exactly what steps i did take to **** it up royally. but went into clockwork 5 to flash another rom from internal storage or same i cant rember now and did factory reset then all hell broke loose .
couldnt mount nothing except for system i tried formating sd card even though i dont have one probally ended up formating internal lol. formated system,
re flashed all recoverie versions including stock. i was getting so mad i called google HA by the way they got some pretty good music when u have to hold.
only thing i didnt try was to load up a rom on sd card and mount that but i really doubt it would have worked and plus i couldnt even use phone to do it lol
i need to go buy drive saved me some serious cash I would say this should be enough confirmation!!

Great to hear more confirmation stories!

Btw, how the heck did you call Google? What number? I've tried to find a number to call before and can't lol.

fajarep

Jan 16, 2010
Jakarta
wow, this is cool... nvflash and kdz for g2x... just thinking, is now possible to switch ROM between G2x and O2x...

jbdaka6445

Aug 29, 2011
new discovery

Last night after flashing ota update I noticed that in the dialer if u press the #
Key first before any other it will bring up a test menu for the device hardware.
I am wondering if this is how ota is because I got my g2x before preloade with 2.3.3 any ideas

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
Last night after flashing ota update I noticed that in the dialer if u press the #
Key first before any other it will bring up a test menu for the device hardware.
I am wondering if this is how ota is because I got my g2x before preloade with 2.3.3 any ideas

Did you flash the "OTA" update with this NVflasher? If not, you should delete this post and re-post in Q & A.

If you used this tool, then please verify how it worked.

As for the # key - had not noticed that.

Prod1702

May 31, 2007
its work great. I work for T-Mobile as a RSA and the LG updater soft-bricked a phone on me today. I used this method to unbrick the phone and it worked great. Thanks a lot OP. Only thing that blows is i had to hold down the vol+/- for ever. My hand started to hurt. Other wise this is great. Should be stickyed.

edit. Ok one thing i have found is that it does not update the baseband. The baseband does stay on the old one. Not sure if this was said on a earlier post or not.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
its work great. I work for T-Mobile as a RSA and the LG updater soft-bricked a phone on me today. I used this method to unbrick the phone and it worked great. Thanks a lot OP. Only thing that blows is i had to hold down the vol+/- for ever. My hand started to hurt. Other wise this is great. Should be stickyed.

edit. Ok one thing i have found is that it does not update the baseband. The baseband does stay on the old one. Not sure if this was said on a earlier post or not.

It had been stated - odd, as it is supposed to have been derived from the update. Wondering if it would work with corrupted baseband.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

slycog

Apr 28, 2011
The base band cannot be updated using nvflash, the DLL that was referenced earlier enables the LG updater to issue device specific update commands for the file system as well as the base band.

The tool used by Paul to flash o2x base bands is actually a modified test app that is used internally by the LG engineering team, this in addition to the actual LG updater utilize the DLL from the decrypted kdz.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
The base band cannot be updated using nvflash, the DLL that was referenced earlier enables the LG updater to issue device specific update commands for the file system as well as the base band.

The tool used by Paul to flash o2x base bands is actually a modified test app that is used internally by the LG engineering team, this in addition to the actual LG updater utilize the DLL from the decrypted kdz.

I thought the kdz DLL contained the new baseband? And I also thought that the partitioning script would wipe everything on the deice including the original baseband.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
If you look at the files used for this the baseband is there. The file is called "P999_MDM.bin". I am really surprised this process is not flashing the baseband. A few people have claimed it fixed their phones flashed withe the P990 baseband, so it seems that YMMV. I have uploaded the baseband file to MediaFire. Maybe someone (hey Paul) can modify the tool they use for the P990 and make us a P999 version with this baseband file?

http://www.mediafire.com/?87a15wzu58v9o41

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
If you look at the files used for this the baseband is there. The file is called "P999_MDM.bin". I am really surprised this process is not flashing the baseband. A few people have claimed it fixed their phones flashed withe the P990 baseband, so it seems that YMMV. I have uploaded the baseband file to MediaFire. Maybe someone (hey Paul) can modify the tool they use for the P990 and make us a P999 version with this baseband file?

http://www.mediafire.com/?87a15wzu58v9o41

Good idea - but I begged him to do that right after the LG updater tool bricks started happening (mine I believe was the first).

I spent a week trying to recover it, then exchanged it (with stock ROM but unknown baseband on it and did NOT tell TMo how it got there - just said LG broke it, which was true).

I thought the "fixed' phones still had the march 999 baseband on them - or they would not have been "fixed".

In any case, it looks like the setup does not apply the P999_MDM.bin file is that is the July baseband edition for the 999. Since the flash.bat tool completely re-partitions the device, I also would have thought it would wipe out the baseband and if it did not flash one the device would have none.

UPDATE:

I have been looking at the files in both Paul's Nvflash tool and the one referenced here.

Paul;s does not have a file like P999-MDM.bin in it, so if you are correct that that file contains the baseband - then Paul's P990 tool does not include the baseband. But that makes sense with respect to the P990, as there are different basebands all over the place on modeco.com flashable with Smartflash, so baseband is not included in his tool. You restore your P990 and then separately pick out and flash the baseband you want/need.

I think the problem is that the flash.bat files in both nvflash setups look almost identical and both instruct the bootloader to process the fastboot.bin file (--bl fastboot.bin --go) but not the P999_MDM.bin file - which would be needed here.

Maybe all that is needed is that "--bl P999_MDM.bin" be added before the "--go"(which resumes normal operation of the bootloader at the very end) flash.bat file.

If I still had my bricked G2X, I would give it a go with the modified flash.bat file.

Hey ILUHA_89 - what do think - should the flash.bat file be modified to do this?

Last edited:
Reactions: d12unk13astard

slycog

Apr 28, 2011
I thought the kdz DLL contained the new baseband? And I also thought that the partitioning script would wipe everything on the deice including the original baseband.

I guess you misunderstood my post, to clarify... yes the baseband is present in the kdz encrypted archive... and yes so is the rom.

nvflash allows you to write to the nand (the file system).

The dll is what enables the LG Updater/engineering tools to issue updates to the baseband, this process is different than writing to the nand.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I guess you misunderstood my post, to clarify... yes the baseband is present in the kdz encrypted archive... and yes so is the rom.

nvflash allows you to write to the nand (the file system).

The dll is what enables the LG Updater/engineering tools to issue updates to the baseband, this process is different than writing to the nand.

So why can't the LG Engineering tools out there be modified so that the baseband update command can be issued? If it can be one on the P990, one would think it would be possible on the P999; but they do have different baseband chips so maybe that is the issue? But people are using the P990 tool to write the wrong baseband to the P999, so one should be able to do the process with the correct baseband file and reflash it?

slycog

Apr 28, 2011
So why can't the LG Engineering tools out there be modified so that the baseband update command can be issued? If it can be one on the P990, one would think it would be possible on the P999; but they do have different baseband chips so maybe that is the issue? But people are using the P990 tool to write the wrong baseband to the P999, so one should be able to do the process with the correct baseband file and reflash it?

It can be, given a compelling reason I'm sure you'd see it working.

Currently there are multiple options for people to fix/upgrade/downgrade the baseband, so it really comes down to the convenience factor, which in my opinion doesn't really justify spending the time to get the engineering tool to work.

The kdz tool used here is actually another engineering tool, it uses the LG Updater Dlls in the same way that the official customer facing app uses them.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180331

With this tool you can easily push either of the kdz files that are available on LG's server (10F/21E), for example pushing 10F to a phone that had already updated to 21E would revert to the baseband that shipped with 10F.

kdz updates will also correct file system partition table issues that cropped up when people mistakenly flashed o2x wares.

phburks

Nov 11, 2010
Orlando, FL
Currently there are multiple options for people to fix/upgrade/downgrade the baseband, so it really comes down to the convenience factor, which in my opinion doesn't really justify spending the time to get the engineering tool to work.

There is currently no convenient option that anyone has posted here for those G2X owners who want to upgrade/downgrade only their baseband while leaving their current setup intact. Granted you could use the kdz tool to flash an update with your desired baseband and then restore a nandroid of your personal setup, but it would be so much more convenient if we could flash only the desired baseband. Necessary? I guess not. But if it CAN be done and would be more convenient then why not?

I would happily take the time to put this together if I understood enough of what needs to be done. It would be a great tool to have.

tahahawa

Oct 14, 2010
Wind g2x users might be reluctant to use the kdz method because it changes the wind splash screen that we can't change back because we don't have the stock rom in kdz format.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
It can be, given a compelling reason I'm sure you'd see it working.

The kdz tool used here is actually another engineering tool, it uses the LG Updater Dlls in the same way that the official customer facing app uses them.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180331

With this tool you can easily push either of the kdz files that are available on LG's server (10F/21E), for example pushing 10F to a phone that had already updated to 21E would revert to the baseband that shipped with 10F.

kdz updates will also correct file system partition table issues that cropped up when people mistakenly flashed o2x wares.

The problem with my original G2X and MANY others was that the KDZ toll would quit before completing, so it was useless in these cases. Paul's tool ran OK to completion, and at that time, it was the only thing that got me off the S/W updater screen.

It of course partitioned it like the 990, and it booted up looking like the 990 - but there was NO baseband in it.

People flash basebands on the 990 with the Smartflash tool. If we had a 999 baseband, i would assume we could do that also.

And I would still like to see if a modified flash.bat in the OP here would flash the P999_MDM.bin file if that contains the baseband as jboxer stated.

If it does not work - what is the big thing about getting a Smartflashable G2X baseband set up like the one for the 990? I tried the stock firmware (AP.bin and CP.bin) and restore the stock ROM with the AP.bin file 9before i returned the device), but the CP.bin file only generated an (cannot see the magic number " error - and NO ONE would comment on just what the hell that indicated.

I believe the CP.bin file had the baseband but could never get it to run. Since I was apparently not able to get the partitions corrected - was wondering if that was the problem. If that was the case, then we might have a final fix already in hand.

Just a reminder - what we are trying to do here is to develop and verify a fix for this device - not simply engage in dissertations of how things work.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
The problem with my original G2X and MANY others was that the KDZ toll would quit before completing, so it was useless in these cases. Paul's tool ran OK to completion, and at that time, it was the only thing that got me off the S/W updater screen.

It of course partitioned it like the 990, and it booted up looking like the 990 - but there was NO baseband in it.

People flash basebands on the 990 with the Smartflash tool. If we had a 999 baseband, i would assume we could do that also.

And I would still like to see if a modified flash.bat in the OP here would flash the P999_MDM.bin file if that contains the baseband as jboxer stated.

If it does not work - what is the big thing about getting a Smartflashable G2X baseband set up like the one for the 990? I tried the stock firmware (AP.bin and CP.bin) and restore the stock ROM with the AP.bin file 9before i returned the device), but the CP.bin file only generated an (cannot see the magic number " error - and NO ONE would comment on just what the hell that indicated.

I believe the CP.bin file had the baseband but could never get it to run. Since I was apparently not able to get the partitions corrected - was wondering if that was the problem. If that was the case, then we might have a final fix already in hand.

Just a reminder - what we are trying to do here is to develop and verify a fix for this device - not simply engage in dissertations of how things work.

How are the P990 people able to get the basebands in the flashable '.fls' format and how did they get the model.dll to make the SmartFlash tool work? What we need is the baseband in the .fls format and a model.dll for the P999. Then we could use the SmartFlash tool to flash the baseband. It would be nice if those guys would help us but they have remained mute on the P999 and show no interest in helping us over here. At MoDaCo they don't even have a G2X forum. They have the ability to possibly help but let people over twist in the Wind, even though it was the misuse of their tool (without warning people not to do it back then) that created a lot of this mess in the first place.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
How are the P990 people able to get the basebands in the flashable '.fls' format and how did they get the model.dll to make the SmartFlash tool work? What we need is the baseband in the .fls format and a model.dll for the P999. Then we could use the SmartFlash tool to flash the baseband. It would be nice if those guys would help us but they have remained mute on the P999 and show no interest in helping us over here. At MoDaCo they don't even have a G2X forum. They have the ability to possibly help but let people over twist in the Wind, even though it was the misuse of their tool (without warning people not to do it back then) that created a lot of this mess in the first place.

Agree with your later observations. As I said previously, I begged for help from them and also Paul specifically - 0 response to anything.

I would have thought the Smartflash tool would have flashed the CP.bin file form the stock 999 software posted over here - but it would not. It was done with similar software there, so could never figure out the difference. My wild guess now is it may because the partitions were mess up, and it would not write the CP.bin file to invalid partition(s).

This tool seems to restore the correct 999 partitions, and would like to do one of either:

A. get my hands on one or more bricked 999's to try a fix things (unlikely and I am not going to mess with mine right now).

B. Link up with someone here that has bricked his device and needs help.

I would try the modified flash.bat file first, and if that still did not flash the baseband, try the Smartflash tool I used to flash the stock ROM with and than see if, with the partitions being correct, it would then run the CP.bin file without the error message that I and all others with 999's encounter every time.

I am thinking I/we might want to open a new thread (probably in General Section) asking for anyone who is stuck to respond, and then be a guinea pig IF they have already tried and failed with the KDZ tool (nothing to loose).

Worse case, they will have a device to exchange with Stock ROM and Recovery on and messed up (or no) baseband like I did.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I was reading through the threads on MoDaCo and one guy claimed to have gotten the CP.bin to flash on the P999 using Smartflash without the error message about the missing magic number. He could not remember what he did different and was never able to give people any info to replicate his success.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM for recovery G2X under the NVFLASH

This method necessary!
    If the device is not loaded and not firmware in other ways! (If you downloaded the wrong firmware in the device)

I took the unpacked program files KDZ and added to them NVFlash and created BAT file!

Download ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?wfokxjxi7rfoaey
    Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C5LBU3DS
    Download APX driver: http://www.mediafire.com/?k559zgjlqkd5ted

Installation Instructions:

1. Download both files
    2. Unpack it to the C drive to their respective folder
    3. Remove the battery
    4. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    5. Insert the USB cable
    6. Install APX driver from the your APX folder

For windows 7(and vista? please confirm):
      • Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
      • Right click on the APX device
      • Select 'Update driver software'
      • Select 'Let me pick...'
      • Select 'Have disk'
      • Browse to directory you extracted the APX Driver
      • Select the *entire* 'APX Driver' folder
      • Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
      • Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
      • If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat
      • Unplug everything
    7. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    8. Insert USB cable
    9. open your ROM folder:
    10. Run Flash.bat file and wait for the process
    11. After the logo appears on the LG phone
    12. Unplug USB cable
    13. Insert the battery
    14. enjoy!

After that, I recommend to firmware device with help programms KDZ or LG Mobile Update
    cannot install apx drivers for the life of me. Windows 8 fails due to The third party INF does not contain a digital signature

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

windows 8 will not let me install apx driers due to no digital signature ... any way to fix this?

There is a way you can reboot windows 8 in advanced menu where you can disable signature check for a one time boot (google it). Do that and install the drivers. It will work. I have done it on mine. Using 8.1 now

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
    I took the unpacked program files KDZ and added to them NVFlash and created BAT file!

Can you post the DLL for the G2X so we can use the LG Utilities to unpack KDZ files for this device please. So far we have been unable to get the proper DLL that enables us to unpack these files. If you unpacked the KDZ you must have the DLL unless you used another method to extract the files from the KDZ. Please elaborate on how you accomplished this. Both phburks and I have been working on this and so far we have had no success.

I'm confused as to what this is? I'm guessing stock rom flash through nv flash? Kind of like odin for samsung phones?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

It is for people that have mucked up their phones to the point where LG Updater and KDZ Flash are not possible. This can be caused by many issues including, but not limited to, people flashing the O2X baseband to a G2X device. This method is purported to flash the entire Gingerbread ROM at the lowest possible hardware level. Hopefully this method is legit, but nobody has confirmed they have done it yet with the exception of the OP. Yes it is similar to ODIN for the Samsung but operating at an even lower level. With the NVFlash capability Tegra2 devices are virtually unbrickable.
    I don't have experience with tegra 2... I can't get the computer to recognize the phone needs apx drivers. I have downloaded and extracted the zip. I remove battery and hold volume buttons, but nothing happens. Phone Is on 2.3.4. I keep coming back to the fact I need to manually install apx drivers... But isn't that what I do when I extract the zip from op?? Confused.... This tegra 2 is a whole new beast. Is there anyone who can help??

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

the device having a tegra 2 has nothing to do with installing the drivers for the phone.

first you need to go to lg.com and download the drivers from there
    http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGP999

once that is installed, right click on My Computer and click Manage, then click Device Manager, then open the USB section

then once you have unzipped the NVFlash folder (no that does not install the driver) take the battery out and hold the two volume buttons down and plug your usb cable in. watch Device Manager to see if it detects your phone. it should, and if it prompts you for a driver, navigate to the APX folder where you unzipped the NVFlash folder and let it find the driver there.

once it is done you wont see anything on your phone until you start the flash process. also once your pc sees your phone you dont have to hold the volume buttons in anymore but leave it plugged in to usb (obviously)

go into the nvflash folder and run the oneclickrecoveryflasher.exe file. choose which recovery you want to flash and then you will see s/w update on your phone. when the flash is done (look at the cmd window on your PC) you can unplug your phone and put the battery back in and reboot it. hold the volume down button while you hold the power button until you see the second LG logo with the purple background and let go of both buttons. your phone should boot into CWM Recovery
    I'm confused as to what this is? I'm guessing stock rom flash through nv flash? Kind of like odin for samsung phones?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App