[ROM][KK][4.4.4][KTU84P] SlimKat 6 UNOFFICIAL-20140707

Search This thread

jfbs

May 24, 2012
SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Downloads
Install at your own risk
  • Latest md5sum: e874e09762c0484b16a4e36ea7002ec8
  • Slim Gapps - mini works well
Known Issues
Do not enable KSM
If lacking root, enter superuser settings, then tap superuser access and select apps and adb.
Try Performance Control for performance settings.
With 5.8 camcorder, switch audio to amr-nb - aac works with 6

Install instructions

Changelog

Kernel Source
Project Source

Credits
arco
jocala
krislibaeer

Last edited:

ScoobSTi

Nov 23, 2012
NYC
Works beautifully, and it seems much faster than CM11.

I may have done something wrong though; I seem to have lost root access somehow.

Edit: Never mind, somehow a reboot fixed that.

Last edited:

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
Running great so far. Still searching how to disable the volume key flip on rotate though. Haven't found any bugs yet!

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
Had it running. Root was all messed up and it kept erroring when I went to Superuser menu to fix it like OP. Now when I reinstall the ROM from my SD card I get Status 7 failure. Some symlinks failed.

*disregard* gotta wipe data/factory reset to make it work. Not just manually format sys data cache. Oh well... Maybe root will work this time....

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jorge_007

Apr 2, 2013
Riverside, CA
To get root access working you must go to developer options and under "Root access" select "Apps and ADB" That will make superuser functional.

Bug/Issue: 1. Settings crashes when going into Superuser and selecting settings. 2. GPS does not work. I couldn't get mapmyrun to get a gps signal.

EDIT* 3. Stock browser does not work well. When browsing a site such as google search there are black squares covering the screen. It happens as well with the google search app from playstore.

Overall, it works well

Last edited:

dwolfman

Apr 11, 2012
Moto G5 Plus
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
Looks like I jacked up superuser and GPS merging performance settings. I'll try fixing them next time.

I was about to confirm, but saw this so will look forward to the next version.

One thing I noticed when I tried enabling the swap file with Ram Manager Free (I found that giving this phone 256MB of swap file on kernels that support it makes it work MUCH better with heavy multitasking). It seemed to enable in the app, but when I checked the memory it showed only 64MB instead of 256MB. I checked and ZRAM was not enabled. Any idea where that 64MB came from?

I'm going to like this ROM once these few issues get fixed. It's a lot like the AOIP ROM I have been using for a while.

Which reminds me, one thing that is missing that I really liked was the ability to adjust the hard buttons back light. I like to have it set so it is on whenever the screen is on. Really disliked the auto turn-off after a few seconds even while the screen is still on. Would it be possible to add the settings options like AOIP and CM ROMs have?

danny8

I too am thrilled to note the appearance of yet another choice in the Exhibit ROM stable.

Very reassuring to me that this ROM presents no issues FC-ing out-of-the-box. Factory reset works, too. First time in quite a while that installation on my phone needed no extra steps.

I am trying the 4.6 version to see if that helps with GPS and the other issue.

Sent from Samsung Exhibit II using XDA Premium app. Peace!

Reactions: jfbs

jfbs

May 24, 2012
I too am thrilled to note the appearance of yet another choice in the Exhibit ROM stable.

Very reassuring to me that this ROM presents no issues FC-ing out-of-the-box. Factory reset works, too. First time in quite a while that installation on my phone needed no extra steps.

I am trying the 4.6 version to see if that helps with GPS and the other issue.

Will you let me know if gps works for you with 4.6? I've fixed superuser fc, but uncertain if performance settings caused gps conflict.

Reactions: Neoxal and det0xx

danny8

Yes, I'll let you know ASAP.

Someone else may beat me to the punch, though; I won't get back to my wifi until Tuesday.

Currently back on Dark CM. I did however make a Nandroid of Slim.
I was so impatient to fully test Slim, I manually installed most of my apps from the Play store.

You can't restore Ti backups without having root access. I thought maybe you could restore even if you couldn't create backups, but nope.

Weird as it might sound I was interested in using my non-rooted phone for a while. It's been so long since I used a non-rooted device, I wanted to see the limitations imposed.

jajb

Mar 13, 2014
Will you let me know if gps works for you with 4.6? I've fixed superuser fc, but uncertain if performance settings caused gps conflict.

Tested GPS on GMaps and Map Quest and I can confirm that GPS is working in 4.6.

EDIT: My mistake, @danny8 is correct. GPS is not working in 4.6. nor is it working in 4.9. When I switched to "device only", GPS did not work at all.

One bug I did want to mention is that I am receiving fc's when trying to access SlimCenter.

EDIT* 3. Stock browser does not work well. When browsing a site such as google search there are black squares covering the screen. It happens as well with the google search app from playstore.

I am also receiving these big black squares when using stock browser or Google Search in 4.6.

Last edited:

danny8

Well, I installed 4.6 test bed by dirty flashing on top of my setup of the original SlimKat release.

I cannot confirm GPS is working for me. (Deleted.) Update: Rebooted restored my voice service. Still messing with GPS which is not working

I confirm SU is working. Ti Backup allows me to restore apps.

I may play with this some more. Will update here if anything noteworthy pops. Otherwise rolling back to DarkCM.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Downloads
    Install at your own risk
    • Latest md5sum: e874e09762c0484b16a4e36ea7002ec8
    • Slim Gapps - mini works well
    Known Issues
    Do not enable KSM
    If lacking root, enter superuser settings, then tap superuser access and select apps and adb.
    Try Performance Control for performance settings.
    With 5.8 camcorder, switch audio to amr-nb - aac works with 6

Install instructions

Changelog

Kernel Source
    Project Source

Credits
    arco
    jocala
    krislibaeer
    Good thing I still had this source to test some stuff. Latest is a monster. Too nice not to share.

edit: might be a good idea to use performance control for adjusting voltages. Otherwise, some things may not work correctly.
    Need a tester for gps here. Last slim build for a while. Enjoy.