[Kernel] UPDATE: Jan 23 HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #9 La Villa Strangiato

Search This thread

HeyItsLou

Jun 17, 2010
Everything is very smooth. Like you said it would be. No need to overclock.

Quadrant scores are lower than usual. Usually means it will have exellent battery life. Dont base a kernel on quadrant scores. If you want better battery life then you want your scores to be lower. I'm sure that overclocking will get you better scores but will decrease battery life. So if everything is running smooth for you, then dont overclock just to get better scores.

Couldn't have said it better myself bro!

spence341

Aug 16, 2010
Milford
1st kernal flash I have done... will see how it performs the next couple of days. I must say that anything I have tried from Lou has been a home run and am excited about this... You da man Lou! thanks for all you do.

jkhonea

Jun 7, 2007
Just flashed onto mine as well. Redemptive Revolution. Going to give it a run out the gate with no SetCPU and see how it flies. With your hand at it, I'm sure it'll be outstanding.

Docarut

Nov 13, 2010
First Kernel Flash For Me Also

Lou,

Loving your ROMs and I am sure your kernel will not disapoint. I will be running this with your Senseless ROM.

Thanks for your nice efforts!

Doc

Lou-just ran Quadrant got 1131. Think that is slightly less than with stock kernel but not by much. If the battery life is improved well worth it.
Ran test again and registered 1260 and ranked in 3rd. Think you have a winner!

Last edited:

Grizzly420

May 31, 2010
OnePlus 6T
Lou,

Loving your ROMs and I am sure your kernel will not disapoint. I will be running this with your Senseless ROM.

Thanks for your nice efforts!

Doc

Lou-just ran Quadrant got 1131. Think that is slightly less than with stock kernel but not by much. If the battery life is improved well worth it.
Ran test again and registered 1260 and ranked in 3rd. Think you have a winner!

Yea second quadrant test is always higher. Running very smooth. Reboots are very quick. Even the first one after loading was considerabley quicker than most kernels I have used. Great job

_CriMson

Jun 14, 2010
awesome kernel so far man, everything is blazing fast, especially GPS. I had a different kernel on here before and noticed my GPS tracking was horrible. It was way off and didn't update itself.

Upon flashing this kernel, with wifi and GPS, it locked my location exactly where i was pretty much as soon as the app loaded. It took a good 5 seconds for the map to display under my location lol.

Nice job man, this looks like a winning combination.

Forgot to mention, the main reason this caught my attention was the wireless N support. Has anyone played with this to see what kind of speeds you get on it? I'm at work and we only have wireless G here, but I'm going to try out the N when I get home.

Last edited:

scottylove

Sep 26, 2010
Birmingham
Any chance of seeing GPU+ or sd card fix on this kernel?

Gaming is like on a totally different device with GPU+, but also I know nothing about how kernels work etc. Good work Lou!

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
No battery use at all showing which was weird but good, or so I thought. Then the phone rang and I couldn't answer it, the phone went to the HTC screen and was frozen solid. Battery pull and reflashed stock. Sorry, can't have that happen on a business phone. Running RR Senseless no mods. Did I screw up and is it not meant for this Rom?

ShadowMN

May 6, 2008
No battery use at all showing which was weird but good, or so I thought. Then the phone rang and I couldn't answer it, the phone went to the HTC screen and was frozen solid. Battery pull and reflashed stock. Sorry, can't have that happen on a business phone. Running RR Senseless no mods. Did I screw up and is it not meant for this Rom?

I am running Senseless with Lou's kernel and everything is working perfectly. So far so good... Thanks Lou

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I am running Senseless with Lou's kernel and everything is working perfectly. So far so good... Thanks Lou

Rats! So what the heck happened? I'm going to flash this in recovery again and wipe some caches even though Lou said unnecessary. I'll report back with an edit of my post later. This is the first time this ever happened. :mad: I'll even re-download the kernel again.

Redownload, wipe, reinstall... seems to be working fine now. Whew.... I was half expecting a PM from Lou telling me "no more kernel for you!"

Last edited:

grifforama

Dec 9, 2009
Lou, thank you so much for your hard work with the ROM's and now the kernel.
I have Senseless and your new kernel, and the phone is just gorgeous. Silky smooth..

Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Summary:

Well I went ahead and jumped into the Kernel world. This Android stuff is like crack lol While there are other great options as far as Sense kernels go such as Chad's I wanted to make one that I can call my own something that will be stable on all devices and is optimized for speed and stability while also providing good battery life. Going forward I will be using my own kernels with all 3 of my Rom projects.​

Features Include:

• Compiled from latest Htc Source Code: 2.6.32.17
    • BFQ I/O Scheduler NEW in #7
    • BFS Scheduler Only in #5 and #9
    • SD Card Speed Fix Patch NEW in #9
    • 3-10 Multi-Touch Support - Included in #6 & #7
    • Disabled Kernel Debugging for increased performance NEW
      in #7
    • Disabled Kernel File System Debugging for increased performance NEW in #8
    • Advanced Power Management Enabled
    • NEW Htc Boot Performance Enabled
    • NEW Htc Performance Profiles Enabled:
    • Screen "OFF" Speeds set Automatically: Minimum 245000 Maximum 245000
    • Stock Speeds
    • Default Governor Profile "On Demand"
    • All Governor Profiles Enabled
    • CIFS Support (Modular)
    • TUN Support (Modular)
    • Ext4 Support (Modular)
    • Wireless N Support (Modular)

READ ME:

I Recommend NOT using SetCPU with any of my kernels let the CPU governor do it's thing. All of what makes my kernels special is equipped out of the box and does not need assistance from SetCPU​

Credits:

Koush: For his Any Kernel Updater
    chad0989: Guidance
    tchebb: 3-10 Multi-Touch Patch
    All of You: For all of the faithful HeyItsLou users for your support, encouragement and great ideas!​

Disclaimer:

I don't have one use at your own risk​

Installation

• Flash in recovery just as you would a Rom
    • For anyone having issues or as a "just in case" wipe Dalvik Cache in recovery before flashing the kernel

Downloads:

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #4 Code Name "Heart of the Sunrise"- http://www.multiupload.com/XRESJKQUSD

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #5 Code Name "Mood for a Day"- http://www.multiupload.com/CB2F3C3NOK
    BFS CPU Scheduler

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #6 Code Name "Siberian Khatru"- http://www.multiupload.com/KGHFH0DWN8
    3-10 Multi-Touch Support

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #7 Code Name "Yours Is No Disgrace"- http://www.multiupload.com/GOIOA3BPXE
    BFQ I/O Scheduler & 3-10 Multi-Touch Support

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #8 Code Name "The Gates of Delirium"- http://www.multiupload.com/RICRJWTWTB
    BFQ I/O Scheduler No Multi-Touch Support

HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #9 Code Name "La Villa Strangiato"- http://www.multiupload.com/1O4IHLPK1V
    *NEW* BFQ I/O Scheduler, BFS CPU Scheduler, SD Card Speed Fix No Multi-Touch Support

FYI:

Kernel #8 is based on #4 *NEW* in #8 is the BFQ I/O scheduler Multi Touch Support has been left out for those having trouble booting kernels with Multi-Touch support.

Kernel #9 is based on #4 *NEW* in #9 is the SD Card Speed Fix Patch as well as the BFS CPU Scheduler and BFQ I/O Scheduler Multi Touch Support has been left out for those having trouble booting kernels with Multi-Touch support.

Info:

Latest Kernel Sources Jan 23, 2011:

Sorry if i missed this earlier, but has there been any mention of possible improvement on the USB transfer rates for these kernels? #4 gives me the best battery life and #6 helps immensely with emulators, but my transfer rates are typically <1mb/s.

I've noticed when I have Chad's installed, my transfer rate is in the neighborhood of 10-11mb/s; however the battery life is considerably less than Lou's.

Not trying to knock on either here, both Chad and Lou do great work, and I'm not smart enough to build a kernel myself, but what is causing such a dramatic difference in the transfer rates? I don't need it daily, but if I'm having to transfer several gb of data via USB (no access to SD card reader), its faster to flash Chad's, transfer the data, and reflash #6.

</rant>

BTW keep up the good work, Lou!

The difference is due to an SD card r/w speed hack. Basically what it does is increase the size of the cached data to be written to the SD in the phone's RAM, and thus maximizing r/w throughput.

That's confusing, so here's an analogy.

I am very very thirsty, and I want water! I can drink about 1 cup / minute (Analogous to r/w speed). Now, I have a container (analogous to size of cached data). If my container holds 0.1 cups, I'm gonna be refilling it, and drinking and refilling it and drinking, and I lose a lot of time like that. But let's say that my container is now 10 cups! I can fill it up, drink at my maximum rate, and then fill it up, and drink at my maximum rate and so on.

Hope that helps!

So in short, the patch exists, Lou just hasn't gotten to / doesn't want it.
    So I've researching kernel options for my wife's DInc and I keep seeing Lou's kernels getting mentioned (especially lately) but can someone clarify for me (in layman's terms) what the following features for this kernel mean:

• BFS Scheduler
    • HTC Boot Performance Enabled
    • HTC Performance Profiles Enabled
    • CIFS Support (Modular)
    • TUN Support (Modular)
    • Ext4 Support (Modular)

I know from my novice Ubuntu experience that Ext4 is a format option for internal/external storage but is this a benefit to Android? or with this ROM?

Right now the DInc is running Virtuous 3.1 w/ Virtuous custom kernel v3 & SetCPU installed.

Really simply, as I'm pressed for time:
    BFS is a different CPU scheduler than CFS. A CPU scheduler is analogous to... a kind of prioritizing algorithm. Pretend you're me. Tomorrow I have school and I'm gonna get loads of homework. Now, what order I choose to do that homework in is my prioritizing algorithm.
    Going back to the CPU, the CPU also has tasks. You tap on the screen, an app needs to process something. How it decides what to do when is the scheduler.
    Mmk, so BFS is basically this: All resources to one thing at a time.
    CFS: Completely Fair Scheduler, so everything gets it's share.
    BFS is great for single-tasking, as you might expect. However, whenever something else goes on, like syncing, or installing apps, there is generally gonna be lag.
    CFS is great for multi-tasking, again, as you might expect.
    For me personally, CFS makes more sense, because if you're generally only ever running one app at a time, and CFS will give it the majority of the resources anyway. And so when syncing or installing comes a long, you run into no problems.

Boot Performance and Performance Profiles are just regulations on clockspeed, so you don't need to create profiles in SetCPU.

CIFS is another kind of scheduler, but for I/O.
    TUN is for VPN.
    Ext4 is a type of filesystem.
    does anyone have a mirror for this kernel?
    HeyItsLou Custom Sense Kernel #7

many thanks, Brian

multiupload being taken down really screwed things up.

However, to save you the effort, if you're trying to flash this on the ROM in your sig it won't work. It will boot but soft keys won't work. This kernel only works on froyo.