[Q] former Samsung/Motorola flash addict seeking assistance with HTC!!

Search This thread

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
So...I first started rooting and custom rom'ing back in the Samsung Fascinate days, flash forward...I sold my s3 because I was in love with what I heard about the HTC One!! Found one on Craigslist in great condition. Dude I had bought it from said it had been rooted and I thought GREAT, saves me the trouble!! Well, I'm confused. I am running a modified 4.3, locked with s-on, and rooted. I am able to boot into TWRP. I cannot figure out the tech of the HTC One and need to know 2 things...1. How is this phone rooted with locked bootloader/s-on? 2. Where can I go from here... Can I flash other rom's through TWRP even though bootloader is locked and s-on? I have read everything I can on xda and still can't make sense of this...

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
Hey thanks! I was sort of guessing that is what happened...but couldn't really find a reason to do that? Is it difficult to hard brick an HTC? I was never concerned with the Samsung or Motorola, I could always get my way back from any issue. So, use firewater to unlock/s-off and then I can return to full stock or whatever?

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
So...I first started rooting and custom rom'ing back in the Samsung Fascinate days, flash forward...I sold my s3 because I was in love with what I heard about the HTC One!! Found one on Craigslist in great condition. Dude I had bought it from said it had been rooted and I thought GREAT, saves me the trouble!! Well, I'm confused. I am running a modified 4.3, locked with s-on, and rooted. I am able to boot into TWRP. I cannot figure out the tech of the HTC One and need to know 2 things...1. How is this phone rooted with locked bootloader/s-on? 2. Where can I go from here... Can I flash other rom's through TWRP even though bootloader is locked and s-on? I have read everything I can on xda and still can't make sense of this...

Hey I remember you from the Fascinate forums from a while ago... nice to see a familiar face! I had the S4 for a while but just switched to the HTC One. This phone is a beast. I was lucky enough to get mine on 4.2.2 so I just used rumrunner... you got lucky because up until a few days ago 4.3 was locked down. From what I understand so far, once you get S-Off you're pretty safe on flashing anything just like the Fascinate. The danger is in actually getting S-Off but firewater seems to be a fairly safe and easy method. Happy flashing and let me know if you have any questions, although I'm still learning the HTC ropes but I'll do my best

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
It is not likley to hard brick it, but it does happen. Mostly to people who dont pay attention and dont follow instructions well. Just make sure what ever your flashing, is for your phone. There are several varations of the one, and flashing the wrong firmware is just asking for an expensive brick. As long as you can get into the bootloader, there is usually always a fix.

Yeah use firewater and then flash a rom of your choosing. If you just want to be complete stock, you can flash an ruu, and then use firewater to unlock and get s-off if so desired.

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
Hey I remember you from the Fascinate forums from a while ago... nice to see a familiar face! I had the S4 for a while but just switched to the HTC One. This phone is a beast. I was lucky enough to get mine on 4.2.2 so I just used rumrunner... you got lucky because up until a few days ago 4.3 was locked down. From what I understand so far, once you get S-Off you're pretty safe on flashing anything just like the Fascinate. The danger is in actually getting S-Off but firewater seems to be a fairly safe and easy method. Happy flashing and let me know if you have any questions, although I'm still learning the HTC ropes but I'll do my best

Hey...HELLO!! I will be sure to ask, thanks!

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
It is not likley to hard brick it, but it does happen. Mostly to people who dont pay attention and dont follow instructions well. Just make sure what ever your flashing, is for your phone. There are several varations of the one, and flashing the wrong firmware is just asking for an expensive brick. As long as you can get into the bootloader, there is usually always a fix.

Yeah use firewater and then flash a rom of your choosing. If you just want to be complete stock, you can flash an ruu, and then use firewater to unlock and get s-off if so desired.

Thank you for your reply...I feel a bit more confident. I follow directions well, so as long as I find a great tutorial I don't see any issues.

so as my phone stands right now, I can just flash a RUU (I think I know what that is, is it hard to find correct one?) and be stock, unrooted? And then I can take the upcoming OTA?

Thanks to you both...I just don't quite get the HTC lingo yet, but I'm a fast learner!!

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Well it depends what version your on. If your on if your on 4.2 yes you can, if your on 4.3 not at the moment, unless you can find a 2.10.605.1 ruu somewhere. I would use firewater to get s-off then you can flash an older ruu and take the otas. If you take the kk ota before you get s-off, you risk the chance of firewater not working, and then your stuck without root untill a new exploit is found.

Reactions: mmuzzy and schilly

mmuzzy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2010
Henniker
Thank you for your reply...I feel a bit more confident. I follow directions well, so as long as I find a great tutorial I don't see any issues.

so as my phone stands right now, I can just flash a RUU (I think I know what that is, is it hard to find correct one?) and be stock, unrooted? And then I can take the upcoming OTA?

Thanks to you both...I just don't quite get the HTC lingo yet, but I'm a fast learner!!

As cmlusco said, I'd probably recommend getting s-off with firewater before an OTA. When 4.3 came out it prevented the existing bootloader unlock tool from working. It was a few weeks before firewater came out and while it works with 4.3 there's no guarantee that it will work with 4.4. Also, you can be S-OFF and take OTAs but flashing a ROM is the safer way to go as far as keeping the ability to run custom recoveries, etc.

EDIT: I didn't realize how much I repeated what cmlusco said. I'll go fade back into the woodwork now. Carry on, nothing to see here. :p

Last edited:

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012

Don't even bother waiting for the OTA... I'm on NuSense 4.4.2 and it's awesome. I'm sure it'll be updated when the OTA hits too, but if you want KitKat early just jump right in, the water is fine.

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
EDIT: I didn't realize how much I repeated what cmlusco said. I'll go fade back into the woodwork now. Carry on, nothing to see here. :p[/QUOTE]

Ha! I didn't see nuthin lol...moving on!

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
I cannot get adb to work on my new laptop running windows 8...ugh! So frustrated.

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
A modified hboot with the indicators of s-off and unlocked changed to look like locked and s-on might have been flashed also. I would boot into fastboot and see if you can fast boot flash a different recovery before going through the hastle of using the firewater soff exploit

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
I would boot into fastboot and see if you can fast boot flash a different recovery before going through the hastle of using the firewater soff exploit

Never did that before...will see what I can find on Google! Need to figure this out, making me mad.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
I would boot into fastboot and see if you can fast boot flash a different recovery before going through the hastle of using the firewater soff exploit

Never did that before...will see what I can find on Google! Need to figure this out, making me mad.

[/QUOTE]

Its pretty easy. first obviously make sure you have debugging enabled then Install this package http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
Then download a recovery IMG from the original dev section and put it in the same folder as where the minimal adb and fastboot package extracted too. Run the batch for minimal that opens a command prompt to that directory.
Type: adb devices(to make sure it sees your phone)
Next: adb reboot bootloader
Next: you will see bootloader options type: fastboot oem rebootRUU (it is case sensitive)
Next: wait for HTC logo on black background to show up and then type: fastboot flash recovery (IMG filename with extension. IE: twrp.IMG)
Example: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Next: fastboot reboot
After it boots up reboot into recovery and see if it changed recoveries although you should know when you fastboot flash if it went. It should tell you successful or fail.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Reactions: schilly

schilly

Jun 27, 2012

Its pretty easy. first obviously make sure you have debugging enabled then Install this package http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
Then download a recovery IMG from the original dev section and put it in the same folder as where the minimal adb and fastboot package extracted too. Run the batch for minimal that opens a command prompt to that directory.
Next: you will see bootloader options type: fastboot oem rebootRUU (it is case sensitive)
Next: wait for HTC logo on black background to show up and then type: fastboot flash recovery (IMG filename with extension. IE: twrp.IMG)
After it boots up reboot into recovery and see if it changed recoveries although you should know when you fastboot flash if it went. It should tell you successful or fail.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you! You rock! Will report back...just annoyed at this point because I can't flash anything, but I can't take update. Sort of stuck. Thank you for the short how to!

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
Hmmm...was just thinking, why am I flashing a recovery img? It's already running twrp. Am I just seeing if I can flash anything, at this point?

schilly

Jun 27, 2012
2014020895120909.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-08-12-05-57.jpg

Here is where I am right now...anyone care to decipher lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well it depends what version your on. If your on if your on 4.2 yes you can, if your on 4.3 not at the moment, unless you can find a 2.10.605.1 ruu somewhere. I would use firewater to get s-off then you can flash an older ruu and take the otas. If you take the kk ota before you get s-off, you risk the chance of firewater not working, and then your stuck without root untill a new exploit is found.
    Sounds like they unlocked it, flashed a custom rom, and then relocked it. I would use firewatter to get unlocked again and s-off. http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/. Not sure if you could flash in that state or not, but im guessing no.

[/QUOTE]

Sent from my One using Tapatalk