Phone keeps turning off! Never while using it & sometimes when phone is not moving.

Search This thread

UnknownCloakedMan

Apr 25, 2013
Albuquerque
Phone keeps turning off! Never while using it & sometimes when phone is not moving.

I have an LG-D801 running 4.4.2 kernal 3.4.0 and software D80120a. I also have and use TWRP for recovery. Ever since I rooted my phone and installed this rom, everything has been perfect! That was about 4 months ago. I have and use lots of apps, most of which I have been using for years without any issues. Lately I have been finding my phone off in my pocket for some reason. It now is happening maybe 6-10 times a day which is really getting annoying.

The LG G2 battery doesn't come out so not like it got loose. I have tested it by sitting on the desk lightly and checking it later to STILL find it turned off. So I know I'm not bumping it. I have tried an app killer to kill apps before turning off the screen but it still seems to happen. The phone is still relatively new so I doubt it's hardware, I baby my phones.

Any ideas for ways to make it STAY on without flashing a new rom? Or maybe ideas for how to diagnose what is shutting it down?

(I am looking for ideas and useable feedback, please don't respond that my phone has hardware issues and needs to be replaced!)

wolfclan68

Aug 5, 2010
Chula Vista, Ca
I have an LG-D801 running 4.4.2 kernal 3.4.0 and software D80120a. I also have and use TWRP for recovery. Ever since I rooted my phone and installed this rom, everything has been perfect! That was about 4 months ago. I have and use lots of apps, most of which I have been using for years without any issues. Lately I have been finding my phone off in my pocket for some reason. It now is happening maybe 6-10 times a day which is really getting annoying.

The LG G2 battery doesn't come out so not like it got loose. I have tested it by sitting on the desk lightly and checking it later to STILL find it turned off. So I know I'm not bumping it. I have tried an app killer to kill apps before turning off the screen but it still seems to happen. The phone is still relatively new so I doubt it's hardware, I baby my phones.

Any ideas for ways to make it STAY on without flashing a new rom? Or maybe ideas for how to diagnose what is shutting it down?

(I am looking for ideas and useable feedback, please don't respond that my phone has hardware issues and needs to be replaced!)

Are you sure it's actually off and not just asleep and not waking up. I've never seen a generally working phone turn itself off. On another device we called it the SOD (Sleep of Death) and required a long press on the power to reboot. It's most likely a rooted app like something Xposed related perhaps.

UnknownCloakedMan

Apr 25, 2013
Albuquerque
Are you sure it's actually off and not just asleep and not waking up. I've never seen a generally working phone turn itself off. On another device we called it the SOD (Sleep of Death) and required a long press on the power to reboot. It's most likely a rooted app like something Xposed related perhaps.

How can I tell the difference? Basically I press the power button once quickly to turn the screen on and it doesn't come on. I hold it for maybe 3 seconds and get the booting up stuff. I am guessing if it was sleeping I'd have to hold it much longer?

UnknownCloakedMan

Apr 25, 2013
Albuquerque
Yeah bud, that's a new one on me. Do you have any root apps that could be the cause? Like Xposed.

Thanks for the help. After reading your previous post, I decided to remove GravityBox KK and Xposed. I was using it because I find it annoying that when I plug in my phone at night, it turns on my screen. Not a big deal...

I also use SuperSU and LuckyPatcher which both use root. The only other thing I can think of is that I semi-recently upgraded my Play Store (v4.8.19 using Lucky Patcher) which I had some troubles with. It kept saying my /system was out of space and for some reason, even with root, it tells me acces denied when changing stuff inside the /system such as boot animation.

UnknownCloakedMan

Apr 25, 2013
Albuquerque
so... just an update. It's still doing it even after I uninstalled all the apps that need root. I really wish there was a log or something (like Windows) to tell me why it keeps turning off!

I have noticed it seems to happen much more often if I am texting somebody even though I'm using the default app for messages. It literally was turning off after every message I sent early before the other person was able to reply for about 5 messages in a row.