[Q] Should I buy the Skyrocket?

Search This thread

Chubby_Skunk

Apr 18, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have a Motorola Atrix right now and was looking to buy the Skyrocket. I had the Samsung Captivate and really loved Samsung's Android devices.

Some questions I have about the phone:
-The Galaxy Nexus has a 720p screen, since the Skyrocket only has a WVGA screen, does that mean less icons on the screen?

-We don't have LTE in Seattle yet, but how is the battery life while on HSPA? And how is it on LTE?

-Since the processor that is in the Galaxy S II isn't compatible with LTE, is Qualcomm's dual-core as fast and smooth?

-Is the camera take good pictures, and is the video quality good?

Thanks for those who help! :)

GalaxySkyrocket500

Nov 16, 2011
Houston Tx
I have a Motorola Atrix right now and was looking to buy the Skyrocket. I had the Samsung Captivate and really loved Samsung's Android devices.

-The Galaxy Nexus has a 720p screen, since the Skyrocket only has a WVGA screen, does that mean less icons on the screen?

-We don't have LTE in Seattle yet, but how is the battery life while on HSPA? And how is it on LTE?

-Since the processor that is in the Galaxy S II isn't compatible with LTE, is Qualcomm's dual-core as fast and smooth?

Okay... Nexus is junk...next
I get 24-28+ hours on my LTE..
Snapdragon is more than capable for anybody's needs.. if all you want to do is do benchmarks, quadrants and play games all day.. Exynos is better. But we are in the real world so....
Camera is awesome.. this phone is awesome.. buy the phone and have fun.

Chubby_Skunk

Apr 18, 2011
Seattle, WA
Snapdragon is more than capable for anybody's needs.. if all you want to do is do benchmarks, quadrants and play games all day.. Exynos is better. But we are in the real world so....

Perfect, the short but to the point answers.

Thanks so much! :D

Reactions: GalaxySkyrocket500

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
Umm this phone kicks ass, but the camera sucks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Chubby_Skunk, I remember you from the Atrix forums :). LTE is the way to go, impressive when you're under coverage. The battery life is great even on the Vivid. I went for the Vivid, the screen is the same qHD as the Atrix.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Chubby_Skunk

Apr 18, 2011
Seattle, WA
Chubby_Skunk, I remember you from the Atrix forums :). LTE is the way to go, impressive when you're under coverage. The battery life is great even on the Vivid. I went for the Vivid, the screen is the same qHD as the Atrix.

I remember you too! haha

I was going to go for the Vivid until I read reviews about it.... :(

So I wanted the Galaxy S II and the Skyrocket seems like i'd be to big with the 4.5" screen and the AT&T GSII seems nice with the 4.3" screen.

Is there much of a noticeable difference between the 4.3" and 4.5"? it's only.2" bigger.

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Is not that big of a difference (size wize), but I would go for the Skyrocket, is newer and have LTE. Make sure you read first what users are saying about the screen though, I've heard there are some pretty bad batches out there.

iSeeNubs

Dec 4, 2011
I was skeptical about switching from iPhone 4 to the Skyrocket due to its enormous size difference. After using for a day or two, I got used to it and the 4.5 inch screen really made a difference for me. However if you're switching from an OGS2, then it won't be that big of a difference but still good.

ampm325

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas
Girlfriend has the 4s, and she doesnt need to ask siri which is a better phone. i have had both att gs2's. The skyrocket is faster but the other is more refined. i like them both, but like skyrock speed

ckck543

Dec 22, 2011
London
hey, my dad actually has the iphone 4 and he says all the time "hey whats that on your phone" because this phone is just so capable. I came a Sony arc and the speed alone should be enough to get this phone :)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using xda premium

ckfmunoz

Nov 3, 2011

24-28 hours on LTE?
I'm impressed.

May I ask what ROM you are using that achieves this battery life?

chappatti

Sep 3, 2007
I have the Skyrocket and overall I think I made a mistake getting it.

** The skyrocket is a hastily put together phone. The plain SGS II is actually a better built phone. Even the Captivate was a much better built phone.

**The only reason for the Skyrocket hardware is to enable LTE for AT&T. The plain SGS II gives you 4G which should be more than enough, since LTE IS NOT AVAILABLE at most areas.

** The plain SGS II has far superior screen resolution.

** The exynos processor in plain SGS II even at 1.2 GHz is so much better.

** Unless you ABSOLUTELY want LTE, Skyrocket has not shattering advantage.

** The Skyrocket HD of course is a different question altogether.

** AND the HTC One X has the same specs as Skyrocket, with a HD screen and may be something to consider. Check this phone out too. http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/1769/20120420/htc-one-x-release-date-att-may.htm#

Good luck !

Last edited:

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010

** The skyrocket is a hastily put together phone. The plain SGS II is actually a better built phone. Even the Captivate was a much better built phone.

**The only reason for the Skyrocket hardware is to enable LTE for AT&T. The plain SGS II gives you 4G which should be more than enough, since LTE IS NOT AVAILABLE at most areas.

** AND the HTC One X has the same specs as Skyrocket, with a HD screen and may be something to consider. Check this phone out too. http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/1769/20120420/htc-one-x-release-date-att-may.htm#

Good luck !

Sorry, I think all ur main points are wrong frankly.

1) Build quality and quality control of the skyrocket has been excellent so far

2) I have access to 4g and LTE everywhere I go in all of Ontario, and let me tell u for what I use my phone for, late makes a WORLd or difference, 4g isnt even in the same league. This us basically just ur opinion

3) better screen resolution? where'd u find this info? link please?

4) find benchmarks showing me that exynos slaps the S3 1.5, please. Cuz I guarantee u won't. Sure if all u do is run benchmarks all day, yeah ifs faster. but in real world use u won't even be able to notice the difference. I'll take a pentaband radio that I can use on any carrier over 5% not even noticeable performance increase.

5) again ur opinion, see second point

6) skyrocket HD is same phone, better screen... so I don't understand this one

7). HTC One X has no SD card slot for expandable storage and lacks a removable battery, HUGE turnoffs for me ans several other users here, plus its HTC, and it may or may not come with a locked boot loader. Our dev took off out of the box, becuz we had no obstacles. Sammy's are definately the best for custom stuff.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck !

Sorry, I think all ur main points are wrong frankly.

1) Build quality and quality control of the skyrocket has been excellent so far

2) I have access to 4g and LTE everywhere I go in all of Ontario, and let me tell u for what I use my phone for, late makes a WORLd or difference, 4g isnt even in the same league. This us basically just ur opinion

3) better screen resolution? where'd u find this info? link please?

4) find benchmarks showing me that exynos slaps the S3 1.5, please. Cuz I guarantee u won't. Sure if all u do is run benchmarks all day, yeah ifs faster. but in real world use u won't even be able to notice the difference. I'll take a pentaband radio that I can use on any carrier over 5% not even noticeable performance increase.

5) again ur opinion, see second point

6) skyrocket HD is same phone, better screen... so I don't understand this one

7). HTC One X has no SD card slot for expandable storage and lacks a removable battery, HUGE turnoffs for me ans several other users here, plus its HTC, and it may or may not come with a locked boot loader. Our dev took off out of the box, becuz we had no obstacles. Sammy's are definately the best for custom stuff.

Perfect, the short but to the point answers.

Thanks so much! :D
    Hell yes you should buy it chubby skunk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
    Oops sorry how do I delete that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App