Google Now Not Listening: US

Search This thread

danlo

Feb 22, 2006
New York, NY
Hello,

Anybody see this issue? My Google Now is not listening to the hot word anymore. See the listening icon is paused. A reboot or cache clear of Google Search app resolves it but it is really annoying. Trying to figure out what's causing the pause.

Here is the screenshot of my home screen. Notice the listening icon looks different.

Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384025338103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384025338103.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,567

rokius

Jul 30, 2009
Hello,

Anybody see this issue? My Google Now is not listening to the hot word anymore. See the listening icon is paused. A reboot or cache clear of Google Search app resolves it but it is really annoying. Trying to figure out what's causing the pause.

Here is the screenshot of my home screen. Notice the listening icon looks different.

Thanks.

Were you using headphones that day? I've seen this issue, and I think it's an audio issue (software). When I had this issue, the speakers didn't work either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TJCacher

Jul 11, 2006
Springfield, MO
Workaround I mentioned in another thread this morning:

With any music or sound playing apps paused, tap the Google logo (not the mic icon) in the Google search tool. Once in the search screen, just swipe back out to the home screen. The mic icon should now be "filled in" instead of hollow, and should respond to "Ok Google".

Reactions: danlo

danlo

Feb 22, 2006
New York, NY

With any music or sound playing apps paused, tap the Google logo (not the mic icon) in the Google search tool. Once in the search screen, just swipe back out to the home screen. The mic icon should now be "filled in" instead of hollow, and should respond to "Ok Google".

Thanks for the tip!

bengrulz

Jun 14, 2008
man sadly nothing in this thread is working for me :(
I toggled the hotword option, toggled it with reboots in between, cleared Google Search data and cache, removed device administrators, toggled english styles, toggled wifi... I've done everything I can think of, and it's still not working.
I've scoured the web and nothing. It was working when I first got the phone, but today I noticed it had stopped. Ugh.

shaklee3

Oct 16, 2011
I toggled the hotword option, toggled it with reboots in between, cleared Google Search data and cache, removed device administrators, toggled english styles, toggled wifi... I've done everything I can think of, and it's still not working.
I've scoured the web and nothing. It was working when I first got the phone, but today I noticed it had stopped. Ugh.

Same with me. I'm not sure why nobody else is having this issue. I've tried everything to get it back to always listening, and it doesn't work. I have to hit the microphone. The only "workaround" I've found is to swipe up from the center bottom of the lock screen, which takes me to the google now page and it's listening for "ok google". I can't get the widget on the left pane back though.

Reactions: Phateless

TJCacher

Jul 11, 2006
Springfield, MO

Ok, I've done a lot more testing with this issue, and have come up with the following working theory. If any of you notice behavior inconsistent with this theory, post it up here. Maybe we can pin the exact cause down enough to let Google know the exact parameters of this glitch.

Here's my theory:

I'm going to call the situation where the Google search mic icon is hollow and the search won't respond to "Ok Google" the HM (hollow mic) mode, and the normal, full mic icon, indicating the search will properly respond to "Ok Google" the FM (full mic) mode. (HM=hollow mic is not listening, FM=full mic is listening)

The problem seems to be that the control is designed to enter HM mode whenever the system is aware that the device is playing sound and to return to FM mode when the system detects that sound has been paused or stopped, but that sometimes the system gets "stuck" in HM mode and remains there even when sound has been paused or stopped. Furthermore, in some cases HM mode is not activated when sound is started,

My theory is that the HM/FM switching only occurs correctly when the sound app itself is used to *directly* start and stop sound. If you use an alternate method to start and/or stop sound (like a linked set of media controls in the notification shade, or a set of media controls in a linked home-screen widget), then there is a near certainty that either HM mode will not be activated when sound starts and/or FM mode will not be reset when sound stops.

When the system becomes "stuck" in HM mode, even when no sound is playing, I have found two ways to reliably get it to reset to FM mode:

Method 1:
1) Stop any sound being played by the device via any means (directly from a sound app, or indirectly from a set of media controls in the notification shade or a home-screen widget)
2) Tap the word "Google" in the Google search bar at the top of any home screen
3) Once inside the search screen, cancel it by swiping right-to-left once or twice to return to the home screen.

Method 2
1) Go into the sound app which either is or was being used to play sound
2) Start the app playing sound from directly in the app itself
3) Stop or pause the sound from directly in the app itself

On my device, using Google Play as the sound app, I have had 100% success, with both of these methods, at getting HM mode "unstuck" and getting the device back into FM mode.
I can also reliably produce the "stuck" HM mode by starting music from within a music app, but stopping or pausing it from outside the app by using a widget.
On my device, if starting from FM mode, starting music playing from a widget instead of from within a music app will result in the device never entering HM mode in the first place.

If others can verify this, I think we may be able to say with some confidence that the problem is that the method being used to detect when sound starts and stops is not properly looking for sound to be started or stopped using an externally-linked set of media controls (as from a notification shade or widget), and that it only reliably works when sound is started or stopped *directly from inside the app itself, using app's built-in media controls*.

Thanks for any additional data anyone is willing to provide to prove or disprove this theory.

Reactions: lolzas

anis2913

Jul 1, 2009
Atlanta
I've had the same issue, but I can add that this is happening with games as well. Specifically, asphalt 8 causes this problem. Obviously, when I'm switching between apps, I wouldn't want to kill an ongoing game or song just to make the hotword work. The HC issue is annoying and I hope there's a fix to always keep it live no matter which apps are in the background...

Last edited:

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
Same with me. I'm not sure why nobody else is having this issue. I've tried everything to get it back to always listening, and it doesn't work. I have to hit the microphone. The only "workaround" I've found is to swipe up from the center bottom of the lock screen, which takes me to the google now page and it's listening for "ok google". I can't get the widget on the left pane back though.

My hotword detection also suddenly doesn't work. I've toggled the option in google now settings, rebooted, cleared cache, turned off google music... nothing turns it back on.

Ok, I've done a lot more testing with this issue, and have come up with the following working theory. If any of you notice behavior inconsistent with this theory, post it up here. Maybe we can pin the exact cause down enough to let Google know the exact parameters of this glitch.

Here's my theory:

I'm going to call the situation where the Google search mic icon is hollow and the search won't respond to "Ok Google" the HM (hollow mic) mode, and the normal, full mic icon, indicating the search will properly respond to "Ok Google" the FM (full mic) mode. (HM=hollow mic is not listening, FM=full mic is listening)

The problem seems to be that the control is designed to enter HM mode whenever the system is aware that the device is playing sound and to return to FM mode when the system detects that sound has been paused or stopped, but that sometimes the system gets "stuck" in HM mode and remains there even when sound has been paused or stopped. Furthermore, in some cases HM mode is not activated when sound is started,

My theory is that the HM/FM switching only occurs correctly when the sound app itself is used to *directly* start and stop sound. If you use an alternate method to start and/or stop sound (like a linked set of media controls in the notification shade, or a set of media controls in a linked home-screen widget), then there is a near certainty that either HM mode will not be activated when sound starts and/or FM mode will not be reset when sound stops.

When the system becomes "stuck" in HM mode, even when no sound is playing, I have found two ways to reliably get it to reset to FM mode:

Method 1:
1) Stop any sound being played by the device via any means (directly from a sound app, or indirectly from a set of media controls in the notification shade or a home-screen widget)
3) Once inside the search screen, cancel it by swiping right-to-left once or twice to return to the home screen.

Method 2

On my device, using Google Play as the sound app, I have had 100% success, with both of these methods, at getting HM mode "unstuck" and getting the device back into FM mode.
I can also reliably produce the "stuck" HM mode by starting music from within a music app, but stopping or pausing it from outside the app by using a widget.
On my device, if starting from FM mode, starting music playing from a widget instead of from within a music app will result in the device never entering HM mode in the first place.

If others can verify this, I think we may be able to say with some confidence that the problem is that the method being used to detect when sound starts and stops is not properly looking for sound to be started or stopped using an externally-linked set of media controls (as from a notification shade or widget), and that it only reliably works when sound is started or stopped *directly from inside the app itself, using app's built-in media controls*.

Thanks for any additional data anyone is willing to provide to prove or disprove this theory.

didn't help me. can't figure out what is going on. so frustrating.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

For me, turning off Push Bullet Notification Listener in Accessibility in Settings made Google Now hot word work again.

Reactions: TJCacher

TJCacher

Jul 11, 2006
Springfield, MO
For me, turning off Push Bullet Notification Listener in Accessibility in Settings made Google Now hot word work again.

I'm replying to clarify this info for others who, like me, may not have been aware that Push Bullet is a third-party app that is installed from the Google Play store.

After reading through the app's description and reviews on the Play Store site, it sounds like a very useful app which has recently added a new feature which mirrors your notifications to a PC via a PC-side browser add-on.

According to a number of the user reviews on the Play Store, which have been confirmed by the app's author, this feature is causing problems with the "always listening" feature of OK Google.

Sounds like they're actively working on a solution for the conflict.

Thanks for posting this - it may very well be the reason some others have had no luck getting the listening feature to work.

gaetawoo

Jul 27, 2010
I'm replying to clarify this info for others who, like me, may not have been aware that Push Bullet is a third-party app that is installed from the Google Play store.

After reading through the app's description and reviews on the Play Store site, it sounds like a very useful app which has recently added a new feature which mirrors your notifications to a PC via a PC-side browser add-on.

According to a number of the user reviews on the Play Store, which have been confirmed by the app's author, this feature is causing problems with the "always listening" feature of OK Google.

Sounds like they're actively working on a solution for the conflict.

Thanks for posting this - it may very well be the reason some others have had no luck getting the listening feature to work.

Yes I've talked to them, they know about it and are working on it, but that say it could be an OS issue.. that are trying to figure it out.

donald.dk

Nov 13, 2013
This happens to me at least couple times a day. Either Wi-Fi disconnect or a OK Google three I n a row consecutive search. Solution: kill the g search app it will automatically restart and you'll be gtg

Reactions: technomom

shagmeimbj

Dec 3, 2013
Pebble whatsapp notifier causes this same problem. Unchecked it in accessibility and viola! Always listening again..

Last edited:

xdapro

Jul 13, 2007
Easiest solution I found on the internet was to go into settings and install the US English language pack. Even though it says it is installed, reinstall it and set it as the default. After a reboot, it worked perfectly.

phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how-to-install-google-experience-launcher-with-ok-google-command/

Once in Google Now, scroll all the way to the bottom and press the 3 dot menu to select Settings. From there, select “voice” > “offline speech recognition” (manage downloaded languages). Now, we’re going to work our way from the right tab, all the way to the left.

Select the Auto-Update tab from the top and choose one of the auto-update options (we recommend leaving it on “over WiFi-only”). After that, scoot over to the All tab and find English (US). You’ll notice it already says “pre-installed”. Don’t listen to it. Select English (US) anyway. From there, jump to the Installed tab and press “English (US)” where you’ll be asked to download the latest version (version 28 at the time of writing). Hit “Download” and the updated version will be downloaded and installed.

Reactions: acuda27

iLuijoMarrero

Sep 1, 2012
Sto Dgo

Here's my theory:

Method 1:

Method 2

I have the same issue and none of that work for me, it gets stuck with real racing, i force the stop once and it started to work again but minutes later it was hallow again, please help

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com

Are you on stock? I thought this was a result of the new launcher in today's version of cm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

acuda27

Jun 4, 2010
Easiest solution I found on the internet was to go into settings and install the US English language pack. Even though it says it is installed, reinstall it and set it as the default. After a reboot, it worked perfectly.

phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how-to-install-google-experience-launcher-with-ok-google-command/

Once in Google Now, scroll all the way to the bottom and press the 3 dot menu to select Settings. From there, select “voice” > “offline speech recognition” (manage downloaded languages). Now, we’re going to work our way from the right tab, all the way to the left.

Select the Auto-Update tab from the top and choose one of the auto-update options (we recommend leaving it on “over WiFi-only”). After that, scoot over to the All tab and find English (US). You’ll notice it already says “pre-installed”. Don’t listen to it. Select English (US) anyway. From there, jump to the Installed tab and press “English (US)” where you’ll be asked to download the latest version (version 28 at the time of writing). Hit “Download” and the updated version will be downloaded and installed.

I love you dude or dudette ;) I was going balled trying to figure this out, thanks a lot!

dahool

Aug 2, 2007
Nothing Phone 1
I found out that the hot word detection only works on the default launcher. If I add the google search widget on apex launcher, I get the search bar with a hollow mic, and hot word detection does not work.

If I use default launcher I got the full mic and hot word detection works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: PhilipTD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's my theory:

Method 1:

Method 2

My hotword detection also suddenly doesn't work. I've toggled the option in google now settings, rebooted, cleared cache, turned off google music... nothing turns it back on.

Here's my theory:

Method 1:

Method 2

didn't help me. can't figure out what is going on. so frustrating.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

This happens to me at least couple times a day. Either Wi-Fi disconnect or a OK Google three I n a row consecutive search. Solution: kill the g search app it will automatically restart and you'll be gtg