[SOLVED] Undo Changes in ServiceMode?

Search This thread

colton22

Jan 19, 2009
Hello again, I really think I messed up this time as I was trying to unlock my phone (alt carriers). I followed directions off a vague website and didn't realize it wasn't for my specific device. Any who, this is what I did.

Hidden menus were already enabled..
Dialer "*#0011#"
Menu > Back
Menu > Key Input "1"
Debug Screen > Phone Control > Network Lock
Selected PERSO SHA256 OFF

Went back to the main menu
Common > NV Rebuild > Restore Backup

Ever since doing this regardless if I revert and turn SHA back on I have data, I can text but cannot place a phone call and I get bumped off network once and a while. Any idea how I can revert these changes?
I have already factory reset / reinstalled the Rom from scratch. No change and my next step would be odin but I was hoping to avoid having to go through all that.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance,

Colton 22

Last edited:

colton22

Jan 19, 2009
more info

I have also confirmed that doing an Odin I still have the same issue. .. Should I contact vzw and say my headphone jack is bad? Downloading Stock ot a update now which I dont want to do... Lock the phone down ...

colton22

Jan 19, 2009
[SOLVED] I have been able to revert changes to ServiceMode

I had to Odin back to stock (before root).. I used the No-wipe method offered from my phone.

secondly I actually updated stock OTA software (process failed so it didnt work ^_^ )
- (dont think this step is needed however i did it and it didnt change me to any new version. Still on MDK thankfully)

Factory reset from within system settings and allow it to delete all local sdcard data doing so,

Problem solved. Just working on getting back to my full custom status now !

ALSO FOR INFORMATION

After calling Verizon and asking if they could walk me through the process of unlocking my phone's sim card for othercarriers i was informed that the Verizion GS4 is already unlocked and shouldnt need any alt methods to do it. Just change Mobile Networks to GSM and shut down. Insert new SIM and power on.

Colton22

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I had to Odin back to stock (before root).. I used the No-wipe method offered from my phone.

secondly I actually updated stock OTA software (process failed so it didnt work ^_^ )
- (dont think this step is needed however i did it and it didnt change me to any new version. Still on MDK thankfully)

Factory reset from within system settings and allow it to delete all local sdcard data doing so,

ALSO FOR INFORMATION

After calling Verizon and asking if they could walk me through the process of unlocking my phone's sim card for othercarriers i was informed that the Verizion GS4 is already unlocked and shouldnt need any alt methods to do it. Just change Mobile Networks to GSM and shut down. Insert new SIM and power on.

Colton22

Yup. It's not locked from the factory since they can't. I don't know what you did to your phone with the config rebuild from some random backup, but it's apparently not good. And all this to unlock something that wasn't locked in the first place. Sad.

Reactions: colton22

colton22

Jan 19, 2009
The backup wasn't a random one, it's generated while in service mode called the 'golden backup'. There is speculation it was meant to be the script to unlock the phone but this proves that wrong. All seems well so far but I have read of others with this same issue after following the first result on Google about unlocking the GS4 (not vzw specific).

I don't understand how this could be classified as sad though. Sad would involve ignorance, not acts from being naive.

Best regards,

Colton22

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
The backup wasn't a random one, it's generated while in service mode called the 'golden backup'. There is speculation it was meant to be the script to unlock the phone but this proves that wrong. All seems well so far but I have read of others with this same issue after following the first result on Google about unlocking the GS4 (not vzw specific).

I don't understand how this could be classified as sad though. Sad would involve ignorance, not acts from being naive.

Best regards,

Colton22

"Sad" as in getting and acting on bad advice. It's sad that there's so much info out there that doesn't tell people when it applies and when it doesn't, leading folks down the wrong path. YouTube is full of that kind of noise.

Reactions: colton22

colton22

Jan 19, 2009
Indeed it is and the more popular the phone is, the more half truths are available. I do hope this post helps others who had the same issue.

When I started this I was with
Hyperdrive RLS13 OCd UVd Xposed on KToons Kernel.

Take care all and know your sources ha! Lesson learned.

Colton22

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ALSO FOR INFORMATION

Colton22

Yup. It's not locked from the factory since they can't. I don't know what you did to your phone with the config rebuild from some random backup, but it's apparently not good. And all this to unlock something that wasn't locked in the first place. Sad.

Best regards,

Colton22

"Sad" as in getting and acting on bad advice. It's sad that there's so much info out there that doesn't tell people when it applies and when it doesn't, leading folks down the wrong path. YouTube is full of that kind of noise.