wifi vs LTE versions (battery consumption, speed)

Search This thread

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Hello, I am a bit confused. When the wifi version came out, users in this forum mentioned that there was no lag and the device was fast even running multiple apps. Now, I have read some postings saying that lag still exists. Could anybody please clarify? Is the LTE version faster and have longer battery usage?

loQ on

Mar 2, 2014
Atlantic City
Hello, I am a bit confused. When the wifi version came out, users in this forum mentioned that there was no lag and the device was fast even running multiple apps. Now, I have read some postings saying that lag still exists. Could anybody please clarify? Is the LTE version faster and have longer battery usage?

I've read that the speed is negligible. Also I've read that the LTE version has a quick charge option & that it plays 4k video whereas the Wi Fi version doesn't & can't. I have the WI Fi version & I plan on keeping it mainly for update reasons (I don't like waiting for carrier approval). But I'm not certain about all this & would also like some clarity from those who may know a bit more about these differences.

Russbad

Nov 16, 2010
I've read that the speed is negligible. Also I've read that the LTE version has a quick charge option & that it plays 4k video whereas the Wi Fi version doesn't & can't. I have the WI Fi version & I plan on keeping it mainly for update reasons (I don't like waiting for carrier approval). But I'm not certain about all this & would also like some clarity from those who may know a bit more about these differences.

I think you're right about updates. The LTE version from Verizon will never be updated unless Verizon pushes an update and you won't be able to flash newer ROMs because they lock their bootloaders. With wi-fi version at least you know it's hackable and you can flash updated ROMs all you want.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
And charging speed isn't a big deal if you charge it overnight. Plus 4k is really rare anyways so no big deal there.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

woowdy

Jul 28, 2012
Springfield Mo
I have the wifi version and it is running smoothly. However, I was actually concern about the speed performance compare to the LTE version before I got the wifi. To be honest with you, I have no issue or complaints about the device. Everything running as it support to be. If you don't need the LTE like me, I tether it through my phone. Go with the wifi because as far as I have read it is only about charging speed and small differences. This is just my opinion and you will save money.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think you're right about updates. The LTE version from Verizon will never be updated unless Verizon pushes an update and you won't be able to flash newer ROMs because they lock their bootloaders. With wi-fi version at least you know it's hackable and you can flash updated ROMs all you want.

As the owner of a Verizon galaxy tab 10.1 who had to suffer through a 2 year contract I can attest to this. After purchasing it with honeycomb Verizon/samsung updated the tablet twice in the past 2.5 years. The ice cream sandwich update came about 5 months after ICS was out and at least a couple months after it was out on the wifi variant of the 10.1.

I just cancelled my service on that tablet in favor of tethering the wifi note pro as I am not going to pay this kind of money for a device with limited support. My 10.1 sits in a dock now at work in front of my keyboard serving as a glorified mp3 player and a testament to why I abhor carrier based devices.

Had it not been for the efforts of pershoot on the original galaxy tab 10.1 series it would have been even harder. Other than his incorporation of the Verizon variant into CM10 there were no custom ROMs for my tablet (there was probably one clean ROM but no ASAP type ROMs). I happily endured beta testing his builds for him and spent countless nights flashing his test builds.

I truly hope that some good developers pick up the LTE versions and build for them. Perhaps with the different cpu package they will, there was no such incentive on the original galaxy tab 10.1 series.

Oh and as for the question about battery life goes, I'm confident that the LTE variant will have less battery life all things being equal. It's just par for the course with LTE over wifi, as evidenced by any smartphone that enters a bad signal area compared to it being on wifi. Don't get me wrong, I loved the always on Internet access but this time around I just couldn't pull the trigger...

aburns7487

Mar 14, 2011
muzzy, I can see your disdain for verizon. I opted for LTE because of the snapdragon 800 chipset (has quick charge 2.0 just like the Note 3), this wasnt present on other lte tablets. Wifi, I usually like as well but the recharge time on my previous tablets had me looking for a newer solution.

Galaxy tab 2 10.1 wifi
Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 wifi

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
If I am buying, I will buy from a vendor rather than from a phone company. What are the advantageous and disadvantages of the LTE version over the wifi version?

stondec100

Jul 17, 2013
If I am buying, I will buy from a vendor rather than from a phone company. What are the advantageous and disadvantages of the LTE version over the wifi version?

I used the WiFi version for about 13 days, then returned it and plan on getting the LTE version.
I found the WiFi version to be mostly smooth (certainly smoother than the Note 10.1 2014 edition, that uses the same processor), however it does indeed have minor lag.

Here are the reasons why I want the LTE version ( because it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) over the WiFi
1. LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
2. There's a wider range of compatible apps for the Snapdragon (some apps I use don't work that well with Exynos chipsets)
3. LTE version changes faster

Of course the LTE version is more expensive and may not get updates as quickly as the WiFi version.

I'm not planning on getting the Verizon version but rather the international unlocked version.

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Verizon's track record on updates is simply brutal. Be prepared that you may see one update in a year and then they will most likely stop updating all together. Picked up a 7.7 last year. Got one update and that was it. Still stuck on ICS. All the custom rom's won't let the radio work even though they say they are for the i815 (Verizon model). I got 2. One for me and one for my wife and they are basically paperweights at this point. Never again. I'll tether my Wifi versions and not be tied to a contract for a device that rarely gets an update.

As for performance, My understanding was there is no significant performance difference between the Wifi and LTE. I know the Snapdragon will charge faster but since I let mine charge overnight, this is not a big deal for me.

Also kep in mind, you can root the WiFi version. My guess is the Verizon version may not be as simple to root and there probably won't be a ton of custom roms for it either though that is just a guess based on my previous expereince with Verizon tablets.

Android.Ninja

Jan 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I used the WiFi version for about 13 days, then returned it and plan on getting the LTE version.
I found the WiFi version to be mostly smooth (certainly smoother than the Note 10.1 2014 edition, that uses the same processor), however it does indeed have minor lag.

Here are the reasons why I want the LTE version ( because it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor) over the WiFi
1. LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
2. There's a wider range of compatible apps for the Snapdragon (some apps I use don't work that well with Exynos chipsets)

Of course the LTE version is more expensive and may not get updates as quickly as the WiFi version.

I'm not planning on getting the Verizon version but rather the international unlocked version.

Verizon's track record on updates is simply brutal. Be prepared that you may see one update in a year and then they will most likely stop updating all together. Picked up a 7.7 last year. Got one update and that was it. Still stuck on ICS. All the custom rom's won't let the radio work even though they say they are for the i815 (Verizon model). I got 2. One for me and one for my wife and they are basically paperweights at this point. Never again. I'll tether my Wifi versions and not be tied to a contract for a device that rarely gets an update.

As for performance, My understanding was there is no significant performance difference between the Wifi and LTE. I know the Snapdragon will charge faster but since I let mine charge overnight, this is not a big deal for me.

Also kep in mind, you can root the WiFi version. My guess is the Verizon version may not be as simple to root and there probably won't be a ton of custom roms for it either though that is just a guess based on my previous expereince with Verizon tablets.

Hi,
I saw your post and thought I'd chime in here with a little info. I'm surprised that you returned the wifi model. The LTE version will definitely not get as many updates as the wifi model will. This is a most assuredly fact. especially if you are going to get the Verizon model. Verizon's track record is unbelievably terrible when it comes to releasing updates for their tablets. Just doing a general search on Verizon & tablets will fill your whole screen with pages and pages of complaints about this issue.

As far as the unlocked version that you mentioned I cannot really say. It will depend on the carrier that you choose to get coverage with. Just keep in mind that it is an LTE version that you are getting and there are only so many carriers. Among those carriers they themselves will have to test and approve updates as they are released by Samsung before they are rolled out to the devices themselves. So basically, when Samsung releases an update, non LTE models will get the update first. The LTE models will be limited to the software being tested an approved by the LTE provider, along with many features being locked out or removed from the software itself.

As for your post #1 that states:
LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
This is most definitely untrue. It has been logistically proven without objection that the Exynos Octacore processor has more brutal knockdown power under a constant minimal and or maximal load than the Snapdragon processor. You might want to look further into your research on this because their is pages of data available on the Web that show this tested data readily available for your consideration.

You mentioned the LTE version does charge faster. I can say that is definitely a fact and you are correct. However the reason they intend for the faster charging is because of the cellular intended purpose. That being said, keep in mind the faster the charge is applied, the faster the battery consumption will be also. Not to mention that with the 9500maH battery the lifespan will inevitably be shorter as well. Over time you will notice that the charges will get faster and faster then will stabilize at a certain point. However the Non LTE versions will charge more slowly, giving the battery life a more in depth charge and a longer life span.

If the only reason your are wanting the LTE version is because of the "Lag", then I just want to let you know that you should definitely test the LTE version before making your purchase. If you place them side by side and test them under a minimal and maximal load, you'll see the Exynos will have less lag than the LTE version.

Please don't take offense to my opinion. :) Im only basing my opinion on what is factual from certified research information and my experience as a developer and consumer of both products. ;)

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012

Thanks for the info. I am also planning to get an international version. I don't live in the US. I am not affected by those carriers. I haven't heard of "There's a wider range of compatible apps for the Snapdragon". I thought except the phone app, whatever works under the wifi version should work under the LTE version. What apps are compatible only with the Snapdragon? Any examples?

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

The Exynos vs. S-800 debate is no different here than it is in the N3 and N10.1-14 forums. The N12 isn't new (it's a jumbo N10.1-14 which is already five months old) and there's nothing about it h/w wise that would make it behave any differently than the devices that came before it. Exynos and S-800 are so close in performance as to be undetectable. Certain games may perform better on Adreno than Mali but it's not so biased that people are complaining. Most of the lag being reported is in transitions and apps opening/closing. Those function never move off the A7 core in Exynos and probably use two of the four S-800 cores. Throwing more powerful h/w at the issue isn't going to change anything. The lag is caused by s/w and the s/w is materially the same on Exynos and Octa versions. I have a 3G Exynos N10.1-14 and have played with European LTE S-800 versions. I couldn't detect a performance difference and neither could my friends who own the S-800 version. And any performance difference you detect between the N10.1-14 and N12 is purely related to one being on 4.3 and the other on 4.4 with modifications to Samsung's UI and most likely drivers.

Link? Outside of a handful of games there's been nothing I've seen to support your statement. The bigger issues is apps that aren't optimized for the 2560x1600 display which affects both SoC's equally.

This is definitely true. Charging the Exynos devices is painfully long.

ericbergan

Sep 22, 2007
LTE version is faster and smoother without lag (unlike the WiFi version - every Exynos device I've used has had lag )
This is most definitely untrue. It has been logistically proven without objection that the Exynos Octacore processor has more brutal knockdown power under a constant minimal and or maximal load than the Snapdragon processor. You might want to look further into your research on this because their is pages of data available on the Web that show this tested data readily available for your consideration.

You might want to take a look at the Verizon Note Pro thread. On game based benchmarks, the LTE version came up14% faster on Epic Citadel, and 50 to 200% faster in Anomaly 2 than the wifi version. Snapdragon seems to be more efficient at handling the graphics load, which might also effect perception of lag.

Reactions: Android.Ninja

stondec100

Jul 17, 2013
I appreciate the replies to my post.
1) My opinion that they Snapdragon is always smoother than the Exynos and doesn't suffer lag like the Exynos is based on experience.
I've had several Exynos devices, all with lag, especially with the Keyboard and when scrolling on chrome browser and then intermittently in various parts of the UI ( Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy note 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition). The Qualcomm devices I own do not exhibit the same annoying lag (galaxy S III, Galaxy Note 3, Tmobile version)

2. As far as compatible apps, I've had developers tell me that the reason why their app wasn't functioning well on my Note 2 was because Samsung doesn't release certain codes\drivers for their Exynos processor and that those apps would function better on Qualcomm processors. An example that comes readily to mind is call recorder by Skvalex. Also PDF max, when using the ink tool is very laggy on Exynos devices, but not on my Note 3

3) As far as comparing both the wifi and LTE versions, I actually have had hands on with both of them and in my experience the LTE version is smoother.

I really do not plan on buying the Verizon LTE because of their shenanigans as far as locked bootloader and abominable update stance. I'm still looking to get the international unlocked version, and not really for the LTE, but more for the superior Qualcomm processor.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I've had several Exynos devices, all with lag.

The only Exynos devices pertinent to this discussion are the N3 and N10.1-14. The SGS4 used Exynos 5410 which, sadly for its owners, was pretty much an Octa beta test. I have a S-800 N3 and Exynos N10.1-14. I've played with Exynos N3's and S-800 N10.1-14's. In terms of everyday use (app opening closings, transitions, in-app performance) I haven't been able to detect a difference. Neither have friends who've played with both versions also. The are people in the N10.1-14 forum who went from Wi-Fi versions to LTE versions and reported they performed the same.

Perhaps in certain games or high-demand apps Adreno may outperform Mali but in all but rare occasions not enough for it to matter. Adreno 330, Mali T628, and PowerVR G6430 are the three most powerful GPU's on the market right now. They are probably in about 10% of deployed devices. Are people implying that a +/- 10% difference between the above GPU's is so important that the 90% of GPU's in use (which are a minimum of 25% behind the above mentioned) are suddenly useless and games and high-demand apps will perform poorly? It's actually the reverse. Developers know that the majority of device GPU's don't perform as well as newer releases and design for the middle.

It's also useless comparing Exynos and S-800 on all but the same device. My N3 is significantly more fluid than my N10.1-14 but it has nothing to do with Exynos and everything to do with the huge disparity in display area (amount of overall pixels being pushed).

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of what's being pointed out isn't supported by commentary on XDA. If the difference between Exynos and S-800 were as pronounced as being claimed the N3 and N10.1-14 forums would be lit up like Christmas trees discussing it. There are some "my SoC can beat up your SoC" discussion with folks claiming superiority for both Exynos and S-800 but for the most part the consensus it they are pretty similar performance wise.

Reactions: francesco totti

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
One should also note that almost any lag can be eliminated if you tune your kernel governor to your specific usage pattern. You need root of course, which is an issue until there is a root exploit that won't trip Knox. There's no way I would root such an expensive device unless I can preserve the warranty.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mitch181

Jul 31, 2014
welcomed to live in malaysia
fast charge or extra 32gb?

i am choosing between 2 models: p905 with fast charge option and p900 with 32gb more than previous one. i would like to hear the opinion of experienced users cuz never had any tablet before hence don't know what option is more significant in routine usage. in addition, i am definitely sure that never gonna use LTE function therefore in is not an advantage for me.

thus, the question is what to prefer: fast charge (is it really much faster?) or extra 32gb of memory (does it really matter for tablet?)

also the rumors tell that probably p905 with 64gb is coming soon (although, how soon and whether it will come at all...)

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
I have the p905 since it came out. Running smoothly. The only lag I experienced is when I played Sonic Dash. Don't know if it is a software issue with this app. Other games I tried (not that many yet) have no lag.

*Omnipresent*

Apr 23, 2008
Beyond human comprehension
I bought the unlocked international 905 mainly for the faster charging and the ability to switch gsm carriers at will. 4K video, snapdragon 800 + adreno 330, no carrier bloatware, are icing on the cake imo. As far performance, this article claims a significant difference speed wise, in favor of the snap 800 adreno 330 combo. I haven't compared the two side by side. Of course ymmv.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review...ote-Pro-12-2-LTE-SM-P905-Tablet.113712.0.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,
    I saw your post and thought I'd chime in here with a little info. I'm surprised that you returned the wifi model. The LTE version will definitely not get as many updates as the wifi model will. This is a most assuredly fact. especially if you are going to get the Verizon model. Verizon's track record is unbelievably terrible when it comes to releasing updates for their tablets. Just doing a general search on Verizon & tablets will fill your whole screen with pages and pages of complaints about this issue.

As far as the unlocked version that you mentioned I cannot really say. It will depend on the carrier that you choose to get coverage with. Just keep in mind that it is an LTE version that you are getting and there are only so many carriers. Among those carriers they themselves will have to test and approve updates as they are released by Samsung before they are rolled out to the devices themselves. So basically, when Samsung releases an update, non LTE models will get the update first. The LTE models will be limited to the software being tested an approved by the LTE provider, along with many features being locked out or removed from the software itself.

You mentioned the LTE version does charge faster. I can say that is definitely a fact and you are correct. However the reason they intend for the faster charging is because of the cellular intended purpose. That being said, keep in mind the faster the charge is applied, the faster the battery consumption will be also. Not to mention that with the 9500maH battery the lifespan will inevitably be shorter as well. Over time you will notice that the charges will get faster and faster then will stabilize at a certain point. However the Non LTE versions will charge more slowly, giving the battery life a more in depth charge and a longer life span.

If the only reason your are wanting the LTE version is because of the "Lag", then I just want to let you know that you should definitely test the LTE version before making your purchase. If you place them side by side and test them under a minimal and maximal load, you'll see the Exynos will have less lag than the LTE version.

Please don't take offense to my opinion. :) Im only basing my opinion on what is factual from certified research information and my experience as a developer and consumer of both products. ;)

The Exynos vs. S-800 debate is no different here than it is in the N3 and N10.1-14 forums. The N12 isn't new (it's a jumbo N10.1-14 which is already five months old) and there's nothing about it h/w wise that would make it behave any differently than the devices that came before it. Exynos and S-800 are so close in performance as to be undetectable. Certain games may perform better on Adreno than Mali but it's not so biased that people are complaining. Most of the lag being reported is in transitions and apps opening/closing. Those function never move off the A7 core in Exynos and probably use two of the four S-800 cores. Throwing more powerful h/w at the issue isn't going to change anything. The lag is caused by s/w and the s/w is materially the same on Exynos and Octa versions. I have a 3G Exynos N10.1-14 and have played with European LTE S-800 versions. I couldn't detect a performance difference and neither could my friends who own the S-800 version. And any performance difference you detect between the N10.1-14 and N12 is purely related to one being on 4.3 and the other on 4.4 with modifications to Samsung's UI and most likely drivers.

Link? Outside of a handful of games there's been nothing I've seen to support your statement. The bigger issues is apps that aren't optimized for the 2560x1600 display which affects both SoC's equally.

This is definitely true. Charging the Exynos devices is painfully long.

You might want to take a look at the Verizon Note Pro thread. On game based benchmarks, the LTE version came up14% faster on Epic Citadel, and 50 to 200% faster in Anomaly 2 than the wifi version. Snapdragon seems to be more efficient at handling the graphics load, which might also effect perception of lag.
    I've had several Exynos devices, all with lag.

The only Exynos devices pertinent to this discussion are the N3 and N10.1-14. The SGS4 used Exynos 5410 which, sadly for its owners, was pretty much an Octa beta test. I have a S-800 N3 and Exynos N10.1-14. I've played with Exynos N3's and S-800 N10.1-14's. In terms of everyday use (app opening closings, transitions, in-app performance) I haven't been able to detect a difference. Neither have friends who've played with both versions also. The are people in the N10.1-14 forum who went from Wi-Fi versions to LTE versions and reported they performed the same.

Perhaps in certain games or high-demand apps Adreno may outperform Mali but in all but rare occasions not enough for it to matter. Adreno 330, Mali T628, and PowerVR G6430 are the three most powerful GPU's on the market right now. They are probably in about 10% of deployed devices. Are people implying that a +/- 10% difference between the above GPU's is so important that the 90% of GPU's in use (which are a minimum of 25% behind the above mentioned) are suddenly useless and games and high-demand apps will perform poorly? It's actually the reverse. Developers know that the majority of device GPU's don't perform as well as newer releases and design for the middle.

It's also useless comparing Exynos and S-800 on all but the same device. My N3 is significantly more fluid than my N10.1-14 but it has nothing to do with Exynos and everything to do with the huge disparity in display area (amount of overall pixels being pushed).

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of what's being pointed out isn't supported by commentary on XDA. If the difference between Exynos and S-800 were as pronounced as being claimed the N3 and N10.1-14 forums would be lit up like Christmas trees discussing it. There are some "my SoC can beat up your SoC" discussion with folks claiming superiority for both Exynos and S-800 but for the most part the consensus it they are pretty similar performance wise.