Again with bootloop problems, this time with CWM

Search This thread

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Well, my problems with recoveries are sorta of a jokle by now, but I still feel compeled to share my experiences so maybe anyone can tell me what the hell is happening on my phone....

So as I said some time ago, I experienced problems with the PhilZ recovery, which I solved swapping to CWM version 6.0.3.2. The problem was the infinite bootloop of the Samsung Galaxy GT-I9300 logo, the black screen, which did not allow me to access to the recovery. But inmediatly after flashing to the old CWM the problem was gone away. Also, in a case of a possible kernel panic due to doing some stuff with Xposed modules CWM was the only recovery I could get access into.

Now, the problem is the following. Yesterday I installed the CWM Touch version 6.0.4.7, which I got from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052091. After installing it everything was normal. However, after one hour or so the phone screen wouldnt turn off when I pressed the Power Button. In fact the Power Menu appeared, but the screen, as I said, dindt get to sleep mode. To top that, after freezing for a second the phone suddenly turned off, and then get to the infamous black screen with the model logo looping and looping.

Fortunately, after pressing Volume Up+Menu+Power I could get to the Recovery, but not after quite some seconds pressing these three buttons. And in some times it would not get me to the recovery, but instead completely rebooting the phone and working again. Just to, in half an hour, freezing and looping again and again and again.

This problem happened to me with virtually every ROM I installed, being Neat ROM, Archi, and even CM11 from Temasek. Nothing would solve that problem. The only remedy I had was a temporary one, which consisted on uninstalling and reinstalling again the kernel (I used boeffla) and the problem would not disappear that way. Also, when wiping data, for some weird reason it gave an error message while wiping the /preload partition, in the Mounts and Storage menu.

Until I got home today, and then flashed through Odin the old CWM Touch version 6.0.3.2, that finally stopped the problems. I tested it by pressing the Power buton again and again and it hadnt redirected me to the black bootloop screen. Seriously, I am wakelocking my phone on an intensive basis and nothing has happened for now, and I think it probably wont happen again. Maybe it takes three seconds, maybe the Power Menu displays again, but no bootloop again.

So I ask to you, what is happening on my phone that it wont run recoveries younger than my old 6.0.3.2

IMPORTANT EDIT: THE PROBLEMS ARE NOT SOLVED YET

Some hours ago, I was chatting using Whatsapp while charging the phone on an USB charger, when it suddenly suffered the black screen bootloop again. This time was unexpected, since I was using the CWM Touch 6.0.3.2, the one supposed to work fine. So for now I feel completely finished. My phone is officialy into a unsolvable problem.

But, thinking about it, there were some things that might help you:

-This time I did not uninstall and reflash the kernel: When I got to the recovery menu, I just selected "reboot", as such, without flashing anything else, and the phone then worked as fine, booting into the ROM bootanimation screen (this time the Neat ROM bootanimation). So basically a manual reboot through Recovery got me out of this. Also, I kept using the phone until now and there werent more problems, at least for now.

-As far as I can recall, these problems started some weeks ago, when I accidentally formated the internal SDcard. I was using PhilZ Touch Recovery and flashing a ROM as usual, when I selected without knowledge the option "Format /data and /data/media (sdcard)" in the Mounts and Storage menu. I did this after doing the usual Full Wipe before flashing an new ROM, and after that I had to turn off the phone in order to insert a ROM in the external SD card to flash it through the recovery to make the phone working again. But when I wanted to get back to the recovery, I couldnt. I had to flash CWM 6.0.3.2 because it was the only recovery that let me access to the recovery menu-the already installed PhilZ wont allow me to access to the recovery menu. So in CWM I got to the External SD card and flashed a Neat ROM, and got the phone working again. And after that I reflashed PhilZ. But since then the phone started to experiment these freezes, reboots and bootloops. One happened to me when in College, and couldnt get out of it because PhilZ wont respond to the Manual Recovery command. I had to wait to get home, to reflash the CWM 6.0.3.2 recovery through Odin because that Recovery was the only responding. And in that moment it did well, and didnt have more reboot problems. Until I flashed 6.0.4.7, which is why I am here.

-Lastly, about the reason I trust in CWM 6.0.3.2: Some time ago, when flashing Blackbox ROM 2.0.2, I downloaded the Gravity Box module from Xposed, and installed it alongside with other modules, which, supposedly, caused a kernel panic problem that sent my phone into the dreaded black bootloop again. I was using PhilZ recovery, and as you may expect now, I couldnt get access to it, so I flashed the CWM 6.0.3.2 recovery, which let me access to a recovery. I too flashed TWRP, but it accessed for one second to the recovery menu, and then faded away, returning to the bootloop logo screen. So basically PhilZ and TWRP failed me during that kernel panic problem, while CWM stood the problem. And thats why I turn to this recovery when everything else fails.

And thats why I am troubled now, because this recovery is showing signs of failure :(

Last edited:

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Try cwm 6.0.4.4 as I've used this for all sorts of Roms and have no problems

I used 6.0.4.7 and I had the problems previously described....I mean, I used a more updated version than the one you propose. Do you believe its gonna work better?

And thats why I will stick to 6.0.3.2 until someone tells me whats happening. If an updated version of 6.0.4.4 gives me problems...well, go imagine.

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
I can confirm that 6.0.4.4 works. I Also tested it for nandroid bk up and restore and it works. I have flashed the latest tw 4.3 and the old 4.1.2 and aokp/cm/aosp 4.4.2 and all flashes with no errors. I have 6.0.4.7 but not tested it this is why I said to you to use 6.0.4.4
Only thing I haven't tested is adb.

Reactions: r1k1v1

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
I can confirm that 6.0.4.4 works. I Also tested it for nandroid bk up and restore and it works. I have flashed the latest tw 4.3 and the old 4.1.2 and aokp/cm/aosp 4.4.2 and all flashes with no errors. I have 6.0.4.7 but not tested it this is why I said to you to use 6.0.4.4

Interesting. And where do I get the 6.0.4.4? I dont see it neither in the new CWM thread nor in the old one.

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
here. zip so just flash in recovery

I apreciate your help, but now some new problems have emerged, and I need more help, because maybe I might have a corrupted partition or such, who knows.

With this quote, I too try to bump the thread, in order to gain more attention to my new problems :(

If anyone is interested, please look the OP, as it has been edited to describe the new problems.

Last edited:

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
Best thing to do now is go bk to stock firmware with Odin and see if any problems persist. Totally stock for a few days.

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Best thing to do now is go bk to stock firmware with Odin and see if any problems persist. Totally stock for a few days.

I will try that in a few weeks, I am a bit busy by now to test anything...

Fortunately, the CWM 6.0.3.2, while not infallible, works better than the other recoveries...today I only had one bootloop problem, solved by simply rebooting from the recovery....I can keep it for one week or two, it doesnt worry me for now.

Also, there is a guide to reflash stock? Sometimes I reflashed stock, but it kept bootlooping on the Samsung animation...probably because I didnt know how to wipe data while reflashing stock. Thats a little problem I have with reflashing stock, any help is appreciated.

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Well, I have to bump this post again because I am having the same problems again.

I am using CWM 6.0.3.2 as my current recovery. Today, I was browsing the Facebook app when I pressed the Power Button. Then, a lag of 2 seconds happened, the Power Menu displayed on screen, and the phone got into the black boot screen again. But this time I could not get to the recovery. Whenever I pressed Volume up+Power+Menu there appeared a black screen featuring the CWM logo and then it returned again to the black boot screen again. So what I did was to remove the battery, then eject the Exterior SD Card (A Lexar, 32 gb) and put again the battery in its place. The phone started all normal again, and when I put again the SD Card it continued to work normally.

So, what do you think its happening? Not even my old recovery, the one which works better for me, is reliable anymore. Could this be a component of my phone failing? Particulary the emmc chip? Or its not a hardware problem? Should I sent the phone to reparation?

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
How much data do you have on ext sd? Maybe phone is scanning ext sd and if alot of data is there that maybe the cause of the reboots. Try a different sd for a few days or none at all. See if you have the problem.

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
How much data do you have on ext sd? Maybe phone is scanning ext sd and if alot of data is there that maybe the cause of the reboots. Try a different sd for a few days or none at all. See if you have the problem.

I have almost 29 gb on the sd, but I had that data since the very first day I bought the card....thats more than one year ago. And I started having the problems since february of this year....

The problem has not reappeared. But what I still have is an insane battery consumption. See, I use apps like Facebook and Twitter, but I too use Greenify to hibernate them. It even drains too much battery by using the web browser. And I repeat, those problems trace back to February...which is the month when I accidentaly formatted the internal SD Card...

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
One year old + battery using Facebook and twitter and all the rest of them very power hungry apps are no good for battery life. Greenify uses battery, people forget that too. Remove all the apps above and test. Also if anything formatting int SD will speed up the phone not slow it down. It get rid if all the bit left over from ROMs/Recovery's/kernel's. Formatting int sd is good for the phone once in a while. Just remember to back up data first

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
One year old + battery using Facebook and twitter and all the rest of them very power hungry apps are no good for battery life. Greenify uses battery, people forget that too. Remove all the apps above and test. Also if anything formatting int SD will speed up the phone not slow it down. It get rid if all the bit left over from ROMs/Recovery's/kernel's. Formatting int sd is good for the phone once in a while. Just remember to back up data first

Thanks! Whenever I can, I will try those tips for battery saving.

But what still puzzles me is the "Sudden reboot problem". It vaguely happens, but when it does I am basically screwed, and each time the reboots seems to get worse from recovering....Also, the reboot problems started after formatting the int sd card for first time. And, after that, I remember that, when I wiped data for installing a new ROM, it gave me "(E: unknown volume for path [/sd-ext])" or, something similar. Does this help you for identifying my problem?

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
OK, now I am royally screwed

I have suffered another sudden bootloop problem, and this time, even by removing the ext SD Card, phone doesnt restarts. Also, I cant access to the Recovery Menu. It does appear for a while and then fades away. But the worst part is that I cannot get into the Download Menu. When I get to the select screen, when I cant choose between Continue and Cancel, the Volume buttons doesnt work. I can not get into Continue button. And then it restarts.

So this time I can not even access to the Download Menu.

I am using the same ROM as before: Neat ROM 6.7 with CWM Touch 6.0.3.2 and Boeffla Kernel

I dont know if I can even send the phone to repair, as seen that I may have the Binary Counter...and I cant even access to Download.

Please, really, help me to get out of this, so I can factory reset this.

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
Take the battery out then hold buttons for download mode and while holding these buttons put the battery back in and pray mate. Not being able to get into download/recovery mode as you know is really not good. Maybe a jig to force it to download mode.

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Take the battery out then hold buttons for download mode and while holding these buttons put the battery back in and pray mate. Not being able to get into download/recovery mode as you know is really not good. Maybe a jig to force it to download mode.

I did that, and I got into the Download Menu. But the menu was frozen as usual. I could not access to the Odin Menu. It didnt matter which option I chosed, since both of them didnt work and the menu would still be frozen, and then restarting the phone a few seconds later. I mean, I got to the screen where you can choose to get to Download Mode or to restart the phone, and it still was a stuck screen, no matter what I chose, the options did not work, and then the phone restarted again.

And I have no jig next to me. So, I am screwed. For real.

Im going to take it to the store where I bought it, which is near where I live...To see if they can do something. Otherwise...I think I will throw away this phone. Its been almost 2 years, and recently it started to fail, probably because of a crappy emmc chip...that store sells the Moto G, which is great, since I dont plan to waste a lot of money on a new phone, watching how this has ended.

And it sucks that I can not recover the data in the Internal SD :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here. zip so just flash in recovery