[Q] Dead GPS

Search This thread

adsbar

Jul 27, 2006
Hoping for some help with my GPS issues.

I have a 32G Nexus 7 2012 Wifi.
GPS has worked on it in the past - I was using Copilot.
Haven't used the feature in a while.
Currently on the most recent official PA ROM.
Tried to use Copilot, got no satellites. Downloaded every GPS app (free) I could find, approx 5 of them. I have reset the GPS several times, and downloaded AGPS data. The apps show that the GPS is turned on (it says GPS off when off). At each trial, I stand outside under open sky for 3-10 min.
Just for fun, tried Franco kernel, no change.
I have checked location settings, and tried both with all location services as well as GPS only.
Multiple reboots attempted.
Popped off the back, looked at GPS contacts - they are intact. I bent them carefully up a little, no dice. I believe they probably hit the contacts on the back cover antenna, but of course I can't be sure.

My next attempt will be to put a little bead of solder on the contacts on both the spring contacts and the flat contacts on the back cover. If that doesn't do it, I'm out of ideas. I can do a full wipe, but I'd like to exhaust all other options first. The last time I had GPS working was before Kitkat. However, search does not show anything helpful with my issue.

adsbar

Jul 27, 2006
Still dead

Building up the contacts with solder did nothing.

Finally bit the bullet and reflashed to latest CM11 nightly (5/20/14). Still dead.

This seems to point to a hardware problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I was hoping to use my N7 as my GPS when I move from Wisconsin to Texas next month.

exglynco

Nov 19, 2012
Bay Area
Sandwich little bits of aluminum foil between the contacts and the gps antenna. Sorry for the outdated suggestion. Have you checked these considerations?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wolroc

Feb 8, 2009
I had the same problem with many different Roms on my N7. Finally I have found a solution in the web:
1) Generate the directory /data/gps
2) Change the directory access rights to 775, i.e. RWX RWX R-X

Already then everything should work fine, otherwise perform a reboot.
You will see in the new directory a file named "gps.interface.pipe.to_gpsd" plus some others.

Currently this solution is working fine for me with a cm11 nightly 23.5.2014 (also before with the milestone version).