I am reaching out for help. ODIN not flashing, and bricked.

Search This thread

jeffysonp

Jul 15, 2014
Hello fellow members.

I have an S4 SCH-I545

I feel as if I'm out of options, I have read many forums for the past 3 days and cannot find a method that works. I am currently soft bricked and cannot get ODIN to successfully flash anything. When I pull the battery and try to boot it immediately takes me to ODIN Mode, and I can't seem to get into anything but that. Just recently it has given me a new image that says, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." I don't exactly know what it is referring to but I have Kies and there is only an emergency recover area and that does nothing.

Am I out of options? Any help is extremely appreciated.

If I left anything out let me know.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Hello fellow members.

I have an S4 SCH-I545

I feel as if I'm out of options, I have read many forums for the past 3 days and cannot find a method that works. I am currently soft bricked and cannot get ODIN to successfully flash anything. When I pull the battery and try to boot it immediately takes me to ODIN Mode, and I can't seem to get into anything but that. Just recently it has given me a new image that says, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." I don't exactly know what it is referring to but I have Kies and there is only an emergency recover area and that does nothing.

Am I out of options? Any help is extremely appreciated.

If I left anything out let me know.

What build were you on prior to this?? Jellybean...Kit Kat ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
What build were you on prior to this?? Jellybean...Kit Kat ?

Alright, I know this is not the help/question/noob thread, but I'm I'm a pickle. Redirect me if you must. Verizon s4 that was on nc5 baseband-i don't know the bootloader, but it was 4.4.2 if that helps. Rooted with towel root and twrp through too manager. Yeah, I know that's where the problem came from. So now the phone is (hopefully) in a soft brick state stuck in down load or Odin mode. Odin recognizes the phone. I don't care to keep DAT or retain root, I just was it to function. Is the nc5 full wipe with the pit my correct next step? Thank you in advance, razz me if you must, I deserve it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Looks like me and snoopy are in the same boat, or at least our phone is in the same soft brick state. Is there any hope?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Looks like me and snoopy are in the same boat, or at least our phone is in the same soft brick state. Is there any hope?

Absolutely there is hope. We just need to know what exact build your phones were on prior to this soft brick. Then we'd know what Odin files to give you.

Then if there were still errors you could post them here for more help.

What were you guys doing exactly that brought you to this point?

Reactions: aircooledbusses

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
Absolutely there is hope. We just need to know what exact build your phones were on prior to this soft brick. Then we'd know what Odin files to give you.

I had baseband nc5. It was android version 4.4.2. Phone worked and I rooted it with towel root, the phone was rebooted and checked root with rootchecker. Then I flashed twrp 2.7.1 for jfltevzw with gooo manager and after that my problems began. Phone would not come out of Odin mode. I did try to Odin the nc5 emergency no wipe and it failed changing the Odin screen to the one that snoopy described.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I had baseband nc5. It was android version 4.4.2. Phone worked and I rooted it with towel root, the phone was rebooted and checked root with rootchecker. Then I flashed twrp 2.7.1 for jfltevzw with gooo manager and after that my problems began. Phone would not come out of Odin mode. I did try to Odin the nc5 emergency no wipe and it failed changing the Odin screen to the one that snoopy described.

Alright sorry to make you write that again.. I just now saw you included your quote from an earlier post.

Are you able to hop onto your PC and copy and paste what the Odin error is into this thread?

Trying to flash a custom recovery on anything other than MDK will certainly lead to a soft brick most of the time. However you should be able to recover your phone back.

Using the full wipe NC5 Odin file should do it.. However if that's not working for you only those errors being posted here will allow the right people to help you along.

May seem silly but have you tried simply trying another USB cable? I've seen people on here have Odin flashes fail just due to the cable.

Grab the Odin errors though if you can

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
Alright sorry to make you write that again.. I just now saw you included your quote from an earlier post.

Are you able to hop onto your PC and copy and paste what the Odin error is into this thread?

Trying to flash a custom recovery on anything other than MDK will certainly lead to a soft brick most of the time. However you should be able to recover your phone back.

Using the full wipe NC5 Odin file should do it.. However if that's not working for you only those errors being posted here will allow the right people to help you along.

May seem silly but have you tried simply trying another USB cable? I've seen people on here have Odin flashes fail just due to the cable.

Thank you, I'm traveling for the next few days, but will get set up with a different Samsung stock cable at my PC and report back. Knowing there is hope is a relief.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Thank you, I'm traveling for the next few days, but will get set up with a different Samsung stock cable at my PC and report back. Knowing there is hope is a relief.

There's definitely hope. If Odin can't bring you back I bet Heimdall could. It's a little more involved but obviously worth it.

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
Awesome! I've never used hemidal yet, but have recently been doing much better with adb commands, so I'm totally willing to learn. I'll post back here in a few days

jeffysonp

Jul 15, 2014
I was trying to flash Hyperdrive and ended up having to update to NC5, I can't remember what my phone was out of the box, I will be able to tell you in a few hours when I get my box. I just got the phone last week, so probably 4.3.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

Your firmware is mdk?....because if you not mdk you CANT use goo manger or twrp or cwm. ...you can only use safestrap....If you were mdk...and you went to nc5 you can never go back.

sent by safestrap powered echo v26

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
Your firmware is mdk?....because if you not mdk you CANT use goo manger or twrp or cwm. ...you can only use safestrap....If you were mdk...and you went to nc5 you can never go back.

Uh yeah I think that was my mistake. The attempt to flash twrp while on nc5 borked the phone.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

Slowbalt

Oct 29, 2010
Chicago
Looks like you are trying to Odin to an image that was lower firmware than what your phone was on. You might want to try flashing the full wipe nc5 image that has been posted. I can't link to it now as I'm on my phone but if you Google Odin full wipe Verizon nc5 it should bring you to the proper xda thread to get the file.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

aircooledbusses

Aug 2, 2012
yep..definitely the mistake

this thread and links would have helped you before you jumped off the cliff
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Yep, from the thread you suggest.......... "The number one reason people brick their Verizon Galaxy S4 phones is due to attempts to flash recovery using Goo Manager, dd, and other tools without understanding when those will or won't work. The Verizon S4 is very locked down, and will reject such attempts in most cases."

Sent from my GT-I9070 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jeffysonp

Jul 15, 2014
Looks like you are trying to Odin to an image that was lower firmware than what your phone was on. You might want to try flashing the full wipe nc5 image that has been posted. I can't link to it now as I'm on my phone but if you Google Odin full wipe Verizon nc5 it should bring you to the proper xda thread to get the file.

So I followed what you said and ended up using this guide. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

I did the full wipe version, and it was successful, however I still cannot boot. It will give me the samsung icon with the unlocked padlock, and then just go black, I still can boot into ODIN mode but not into recovery. Any idea what's going on?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
So I followed what you said and ended up using this guide. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

I did the full wipe version, and it was successful, however I still cannot boot. It will give me the samsung icon with the unlocked padlock, and then just go black, I still can boot into ODIN mode but not into recovery. Any idea what's going on?

Try booting into stock recovery and do a Factory Data Reset and wipe cache then reboot.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Also once you're back to stock run Tri Angle Away to get rid of that annoying CUSTOM screen at boot lol can't stand that thing and on my phone it can make getting into CWM a pain as well.

jeffysonp

Jul 15, 2014
Try booting into stock recovery and do a Factory Data Reset and wipe cache then reboot.

I can't seem to get into stock recovery either. I tried re-flashing and I still get the same results, when I try to boot into recovery I get the Samsung logo with the unlocked padlock, and then it just shuts down. :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There's definitely hope. If Odin can't bring you back I bet Heimdall could. It's a little more involved but obviously worth it.