[APP][2.3+] ReOn Extra Time with SmarterStay

Search This thread

vgergo

From the developer of Touchless Notifications and S for Switch Voice:

available FREE in the Google Play Store: ReOn Extra Time with SmarterStay

play-store-icon3.pngView attachment 2804113View attachment 2804112

The screen stays on when you need it. Finally you can read in peace! Works with all brands of phones and tablets. Note: S for Switch Voice Pro includes this functionality built in.

Let me explain:

Have you ever been annoyed by the display constantly turning off on you while you were trying to read or watch something?
It turns off → you turn it on right away → it turns off again → you keep turning it back on... GRRRR!
  • Of course you could set the display timeout higher...
    ...but then the battery will drain quicker
  • Samsung owners, you can enable SmartStay which will watch your eyes...
    ...but only if it's bright enough for it to actually see you

Extra Time solves these in a brilliantly simple way: you can set the display timeout to a low enough value, and Extra Time will temporarily extend it when necessary:
RE-ON: when you turn on the screen within 3 seconds after it got turned off, Extra Time will extend the screen timeout, so you can keep reading without worrying about it turning off again (ReOn as in "ON again", get it?)
SMARTER-STAY: it measures the ambient light level, and increases the display timeout if it detects there isn't enough light for SmartStay to work reliably.
►Your original timeout will be restored the next time the screen turns off.

Save battery power by having the default display timeout set to the minimum 15 or 30 seconds, and still have the screen on long enough when you need it.

USAGE

Very simple to use. Just install the app, start it, and forget about it.
Note: Turn off SmarterStay if you don't want the screen timeout to increase when the phone is used in the dark.

PERMANENT NOTIFICATION

Since Android version 4.0, memory resident apps need to inform users (you!) that they reside in memory. Extra Time creates a permanent notification, but no icon is shown unless you pull the notification shade down. It is also possible to hide the notification all together by long pressing on it, selecting "App info" and un-checking the "show notifications" option.
If you decide to keep the notification,
►you will have an easy way to access settings
►the optional toast notification will not appear regardless of the setting

PREMIUM UPGRADE

The current version of Extra Time will work forever without limitations, but it will remind you of its presence once or twice a week. Support my work with a buck (one time in app purchase), and you can really forget about it, except you keep enjoying the benefits! Buy once, use on all your current and future devices!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.viczian.extratime.free

Last edited:

vgergo

Version history

*Small adjustments

*Small adjustments

+SmarterStay Light level settings with active light meter

~Rewrote app using standard Android developer tools (Android Studio)

Initial idea using Tasker

Permissions:
BOOT_COMPLETED start on reboot
WRITE_SETTINGS change display timeout

vgergo

In app billing

This small (but growing) tool is my first attempt at utilizing Google's in-app-billing. I made the app to be available for free, and didn't implement any way to stop it's functionality even after an extensive test period. But I have included a friendly reminder of how many times it actually helped and an easy way to chime into the development of this and similar utilities.

The only incentive is that the reminder will appear every few days, when the screen is turned on. We will see how many people appreciate the service of this little convenience tool to participate. In this sense it's an experiment.

trial.JPGiap.JPG

In app billing

There are different schools on in app billing. I decided to go in the "user respecting" direction. I don't like apps which walk out on you when you need them the most, because they couldn't check your license. I implemented the license checking, so that the premium status is only revoked if my app can successfully talk to the Google servers and confirm that the in app product have been refunded. Even then, the app will not revert to the "trial" version, only the next time it is started.

I set the price to the lowest value in each country, but of course the app has only one specific purpose, even if it aims to implement it at the highest quality.

Last edited: