Apple Charger

Search This thread

mears

Jan 10, 2012
Anyone attempt to use an iPad charger with the Tab S? I always travel with it and just pack a micro USB cable since it has high output. Just attempted to plug in my 10.5 to it and nothing. Luckily I was able to track down a different charger, and it worked fine with the same cable. This is the first device I've had that refused to charge using my iPad charger. What gives?

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I think the Tab S is very picky, with some other chargers, i get the lightning indicator in the battery with a red cross on top, is this the same with you.

litesout

Jan 17, 2011
Orlando FL
Yeah, mine's a little picky too. It won't charge off the Motorola micro usb chargers we have all over the place at work, but it will charge off just about any USB plug and cable I throw at it. Also charges off the USB ports in the plug strip in the living room.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, mine's a little picky too. It won't charge off the Motorola micro usb chargers we have all over the place at work, but it will charge off just about any USB plug and cable I throw at it. Also charges off the USB ports in the plug strip in the living room.

Do you get the red cross on top of that battery indicator.

Armpowered

Jul 26, 2012
There is a standard for high current usb chargers (rather than pc usb ports) that is indicated by having the data lines shorted together, as far as I understand it the iPad charger uses a different system to indicate high charge ability. (I'm assuming) the Samsung charger has these pins shorted internally and uses a plain cable (which can also be used for pc data connection).

You can get the high charge rate from a standard charger by using a cable with the data lines sorted, either make your own or buy a ready made one (e.g. Portapow or their plug-in inline adapter). I'd guess that the same cable would also get full charge via the iPad charger, these cables though cannot be used to connect to pc for data.

cheetokhan

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung dedicated chargers

Apple and Samsung both use their own unique standards for USB charging so their devices know when they are connected to a charger capable of supplying the higher current they prefer. They do this by using a resistor voltage devider inside the charger to apply a very specific voltage to the data leads of the USB cable.
A little Googling will find examples and descriptions of the Samsung design.
There is a little plug-in, intelligent, USB adapter available that will interface Apple and Samsung devices to any charger. It senses what device you have and supplies the correct voltages on the data leads so your device thinks it's plugged into its official cherger. I think I saw it on ebay.

Edit- here is the adapter to allow using any charger with Samsung or Apple devices.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charging-Port-Controller-Fast-charging-adapter-identificatio-For-Phone-PAD-/141342316282?pt=US_Other_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item20e8a896fa

Just keep in mind that this adapter will make your tablet believe it's connected to a charger that can supply high current. If the charger cannot supply high current, it will be overloaded and it's output voltage will sag.
I don't think this will damage the Samsung tablet, but it will slow down charging and may overheat the charger.

Last edited:

mears

Jan 10, 2012
Apple and Samsung both use their own unique standards for USB charging so their devices know when they are connected to a charger capable of supplying the higher current they prefer. They do this by using a resistor voltage devider inside the charger to apply a very specific voltage to the data leads of the USB cable.
A little Googling will find examples and descriptions of the Samsung design.
There is a little plug-in, intelligent, USB adapter available that will interface Apple and Samsung devices to any charger. It senses what device you have and supplies the correct voltages on the data leads so your device thinks it's plugged into its official cherger. I think I saw it on ebay.

Edit- here is the adapter to allow using any charger with Samsung or Apple devices.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charging-Port-Controller-Fast-charging-adapter-identificatio-For-Phone-PAD-/141342316282?pt=US_Other_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item20e8a896fa

Just keep in mind that this adapter will make your tablet believe it's connected to a charger that can supply high current. If the charger cannot supply high current, it will be overloaded and it's output voltage will sag.
I don't think this will damage the Samsung tablet, but it will slow down charging and may overheat the charger.

Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I was also unable to charge the tablet with my wife's macbook using the same cable that works fine with other wall chargers. I am pretty sure it worked fine when it was booted into bootcamp as well...

She's in Europe for a few months so I won't be able to confirm for a while.

cheetokhan

Jan 31, 2011
Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I was also unable to charge the tablet with my wife's macbook using the same cable that works fine with other wall chargers. I am pretty sure it worked fine when it was booted into bootcamp as well...

She's in Europe for a few months so I won't be able to confirm for a while.

The only charger I've used with my Tab S 10.5 is this one- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVH62J2/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I haven't even tried the factory charger yet. I'll have to test it and see if the Tab S uses the same voltage sensing on the data leads as the previous Samsung tablets.

ManDcgaw

Sep 1, 2015
I've been using an Ipad 10w charger,fat,square,.twice the weight of the OEM Samsung charger ,removable prongs.
It WORKS WELL. Where my Samsung OEM charger has trouble charging
when the tablet is in use, the fat Apple charger kept charging at a good speed.
A bit warm as compared to OEM Samsung charger but not "Hot".
Probably 20% + faster charging as its very noticeable (except 99 to 100 % takes a while, charging rate software?)

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm using an original Apple charger at work to charge my 8.4. I don't know if the charger is for an iPhone or iPad. Someone left it at work. I gave away the lightning cable that came with it since I don't own an Apple product. The cable I'm using is part of an LG qi charger (doesn't come with a wall adapter/charger).

Attachments

• 20150904_094604.jpg
    20150904_094604.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited: