[Project Cheesecake] Need YOUR help!

Search This thread

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Background:
Yes it's true, Motorola has every OTA, every non-accepted OTA, and every non-release OTA and sbf sitting on a sever. Special Motorola employees get access to these, even on their phones through the access of the blur cloud. There are 19 servers.

The Goal:
Project Cheesecake was a success on finding a few dev builds for the Defy, Atrix, and Photon which lead to an unlocked bootloader on these devices. There is bound to be something on ONE of these servers, and eventually we'll strike gold and find an unlock. Just takes checking everyday.

How you can help:
Check the servers every change you get! Every phone is a little different, plus keep in mind these are ftp servers, so you might get lucky when you do your scan and you might catch something someone else didn't see before; or you might find something that was uploaded, and then later deleted. Wifi is recommended (but not required) when scanning the servers.

Prerequisites:
You need to use Root Explorer or another file manager with root permissions, because when you find an update, it's going to put it in /cache and you need to copy it from there to the sd card.

Please be on stock 2.3.5 (1.3.412) or 2.3.4 OTA. If you have deleted stuff or are running a custom rom or something, you will need to sbf for this to work.

Getting Started:
1)You need to be on stock latest OTA!!
2) WIPE DATA AND CACHE!!!!

Now an app does it all for you. Imagine that.

1. Okay, so, download THIS APP RIGHT HERE. Edit: Updated link ~ 0vermind

2. Install the app on your phone.

3. Open the app. Click the first button.

4. Reboot.

5. Open app, click second button. Select a server. QA And Staging servers seem most common for updates, but we need to check them all. The default is in Production -> master-blur.whatever.com if you need to get back to it.

6. now click third button in app to check for update. click setup (the moto account thing is bs). Now if it gives you a wifi error, that means the server is down that you chose. If the server is up it will check for an update.

7. If that didn't work, select a new server with button 2, and then check again with button 3.

8. Any comments in this post about the ghettoness or difficulty of scrolling in my app will result in replies including but not limited to A) Slander, B) flaming, and C) death. Try to keep the thread pretty on topic to cheesecake method and other info. I know my app can be refined, jcase has been giving me some tips on streamlining my programming and su permission reduction, but it does good stuff, don't worry. It even remounts system as RO when it uses it.

The app does Scroll! It's just a bit tricky! -- I have found that if I longpress an item while scrolling up, it works better.

Thanks for participating! :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2011
New Jersey
Update Found

Heyo,

I found one update using Froyo in server 'master-qa3.blurdev.com'. The update seems to be weird. The update on the screen was reported to be '1.3.231.en.us' but the update zip was labeled '1.2.148.en.us' which is the same name as the leaked GB OTA update zip. Nonetheless, this is an interesting development.

Please PM me for the file. I don't want people who don't know what they are doing to abuse it.

I'll continue searching through the server list for any others.

- mostKnownUnknown

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
Heyo,

I found one update using Froyo in server 'master-qa3.blurdev.com'. The update seems to be weird. The update on the screen was reported to be '1.3.231.en.us' but the update zip was labeled '1.2.148.en.us' which is the same name as the leaked GB OTA update zip. Nonetheless, this is an interesting development.

Please PM me for the file. I don't want people who don't know what they are doing to abuse it.

- mostKnownUnknown

You should also send it to The2DCour

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Heyo,

Ahhhh quality assurance is always pretty fruitful ;) Sent ya a pm. Thanks!!

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
0vermind,
You find anything useful? You and The2Dcour should combine forces. Someone found something for him yesterday.

the2dcour

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
Just saw this post and decided to pop in. Great job starting a Cheesecake for your phone =) Hopefully yes, people will be sending me more files to check. I have made a list of files that I've already checked for Bootloader unlock over at the Pudding thread (shameless plug).

Jul 13, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe next time...

Yeah. I found two and I gave both of those to the2dcour. There doesn't seem to be a bootloader unlock in both files.

The two I found is when you are in Froyo and in these servers:
master-qa3.blurdev.com - 1.3.231.en.us
master-sdc1.svcmot.com - 1.3.232.en.us
master-blur.svcmot.com - 1.3.232.en.us

After taking a nap and returning the my phone back to normal, it seems like 1.3.232.en.us is the same as the last OTA version/the version that P3droid rooted. It doesn't seem to be a special "Dev" version with that special pudding.

Yeah the simpsons servers and both bqa ones didn't allow you to register.

If anyone still wants to take a look, let me know. You can get the mediafire links from me if you PM me.

My thought so far is that when the Atrix leak was found, Moto was at least thinking about unlocking the bootloader for the Atrix and might have been experimenting with the bootloader when the leak was made. I dunno if we are going to catch a bootloader unlock for the DX2 until Moto makes a serious consideration for unlocking the DX2 with their devs.

With that said, I think this was very successful from an execution standpoint and we need to keep up with regularly checking the servers for update files. I say we should pick random times in checking (not just on a Sat. Morning) and vary it up between location (east coast v. west coast) and Froyo/GB base update.

My only thing is that it took me nearly 5 hours to search through all of the servers after all of the wiping cache and going through Froyo's slow factory reset screens so I hope we can really get a few people dedicated for one or two hours and divide it up.

- mostKnownUnknown

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah. I found two and I gave both of those to the2dcour. There doesn't seem to be a bootloader unlock in both files.

After taking a nap and returning the my phone back to normal, it seems like 1.3.232.en.us is the same as the last OTA version/the version that P3droid rooted. It doesn't seem to be a special "Dev" version with that special pudding.

If anyone still wants to take a look, let me know. You can get the mediafire links from me if you PM me.

My thought so far is that when the Atrix leak was found, Moto was at least thinking about unlocking the bootloader for the Atrix and might have been experimenting with the bootloader when the leak was made. I dunno if we are going to catch a bootloader unlock for the DX2 until Moto makes a serious consideration for unlocking the DX2 with their devs.

With that said, I think this was very successful from an execution standpoint and we need to keep up with regularly checking the servers for update files. I say we should pick random times in checking (not just on a Sat. Morning) and vary it up between location (east coast v. west coast) and Froyo/GB base update.

My only thing is that it took me nearly 5 hours to search through all of the servers after all of the wiping cache and going through Froyo's slow factory reset screens so I hope we can really get a few people dedicated for one or two hours and divide it up.

- mostKnownUnknown

I wonder what the difference is between 231 and 232. And yeah definitely, as far as I know Moto did promise they would be unlocking all their phones, or at least the ones that came out this year..

- mostKnownUnknown

Mannnn... I wish I knew how to do this or what to look for cuz I would be one of the helpers here. I have so much time to sit around and most of it is spent on here ir droidforums.net soooo.... ;(

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Mannnn... I wish I knew how to do this or what to look for cuz I would be one of the helpers here. I have so much time to sit around and most of it is spent on here ir droidforums.net soooo.... ;(

It's really not that hard. Just follow the instructions in the OP. We would love your help! This project isn't just a one time thing, it's a thing that requires multiple scans every no or then.

The servers that will provide the most luck are the QAs, master-blur, the test server, and the first one.

religi0n

Jun 6, 2011
You have to be on pre rooted gb. When I get home I will package a test build to flash from anything to the required build will everything included. For the sake of progress!

hapyman

Jul 7, 2011
Nice work getting stuff like this organized guys. Im hoping it will be only a matter of time now that google has taken over Motorola. I would think they would want to unleash the moto hardware but the agreements with vzw might be in the way. Hopefully they will "allow" the unlock to slip through the cracks if that's the case.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

balltongue

Aug 6, 2010
Here is some cool info I found. When you are connected to one of the dev clouds:

Dial *#*#4636#*#*
Go To Motorola Services

It will list out a bunch of info regarding the server. Like build date, Blur Version, Server Version, Master Cloud. ect...

ilovesoad

May 22, 2011
Plano, TX
Nice work getting stuff like this organized guys. Im hoping it will be only a matter of time now that google has taken over Motorola. I would think they would want to unleash the moto hardware but the agreements with vzw might be in the way. Hopefully they will "allow" the unlock to slip through the cracks if that's the case.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Company takeovers aren't an instant thing. Even if Google buying up motorola gets bloaders unlocked, we will most likely be too late to the party because once this all goes down, we will be old news.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

nitwit

Feb 17, 2007
Thinking of trying this out between iterations of Eclipse. Gotta get back to stock GB

balltongue

Aug 6, 2010
The sbf is older than the stock froyo build. I thought i was able to unlock the bootloader with this build but its not even in the sbf file.

Anyway its another way for us to get more test builds now that we have 3 sbf's to choose from.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background:
    Yes it's true, Motorola has every OTA, every non-accepted OTA, and every non-release OTA and sbf sitting on a sever. Special Motorola employees get access to these, even on their phones through the access of the blur cloud. There are 19 servers.

The Goal:
    Project Cheesecake was a success on finding a few dev builds for the Defy, Atrix, and Photon which lead to an unlocked bootloader on these devices. There is bound to be something on ONE of these servers, and eventually we'll strike gold and find an unlock. Just takes checking everyday.

How you can help:
    Check the servers every change you get! Every phone is a little different, plus keep in mind these are ftp servers, so you might get lucky when you do your scan and you might catch something someone else didn't see before; or you might find something that was uploaded, and then later deleted. Wifi is recommended (but not required) when scanning the servers.

Prerequisites:
    You need to use Root Explorer or another file manager with root permissions, because when you find an update, it's going to put it in /cache and you need to copy it from there to the sd card.

Please be on stock 2.3.5 (1.3.412) or 2.3.4 OTA. If you have deleted stuff or are running a custom rom or something, you will need to sbf for this to work.

Getting Started:
    1)You need to be on stock latest OTA!!
    2) WIPE DATA AND CACHE!!!!

Now an app does it all for you. Imagine that.

1. Okay, so, download THIS APP RIGHT HERE. Edit: Updated link ~ 0vermind

2. Install the app on your phone.

3. Open the app. Click the first button.

4. Reboot.

5. Open app, click second button. Select a server. QA And Staging servers seem most common for updates, but we need to check them all. The default is in Production -> master-blur.whatever.com if you need to get back to it.

6. now click third button in app to check for update. click setup (the moto account thing is bs). Now if it gives you a wifi error, that means the server is down that you chose. If the server is up it will check for an update.

7. If that didn't work, select a new server with button 2, and then check again with button 3.

8. Any comments in this post about the ghettoness or difficulty of scrolling in my app will result in replies including but not limited to A) Slander, B) flaming, and C) death. Try to keep the thread pretty on topic to cheesecake method and other info. I know my app can be refined, jcase has been giving me some tips on streamlining my programming and su permission reduction, but it does good stuff, don't worry. It even remounts system as RO when it uses it.

The app does Scroll! It's just a bit tricky! -- I have found that if I longpress an item while scrolling up, it works better.

Thanks for participating! :)
    Update Found

Heyo,

- mostKnownUnknown
    Here............
    Key to using: once you get the server field to move/scroll ( not an easy task in itself ) the input for scrolling extends to almost the whole screen so you may keep scrolling by "swipe walking" the screen.
    hey guys once i figure out how to pull this update off my phone I found an update on one of the servers; it updated my DX2 to 2.3.5

whom do i give this update too?
    A few dozen cores? Now my interest is really peaked, what kind of system(s) do you have to play with?

I've got access to a 15 node cluster that's pretty good at these kinds of things. Unfortunately, it's a bit older (retired) and isn't getting through the iterations as fast as I'd hoped. I can say for sure that the key store password is not 1, 2, 3 or 4 characters and 5 is looking unlikely.

Given that that p12 file is the same across all the versions of the source they posted on sourceforge, I really think there's a chance it's got a valid signing key inside. Without some luck, I'm just not smart enough to find my way into it in a reasonable amount of time. After 5 characters, it's going to start to take a LOT of time to get through all the possbile combos.

If anyone's got a suggestion for decrypting a password protected OpenSSL PKCS#12 file, we may actually have something worth looking at.