Speaker volume is very low in Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

Search This thread

X Fleshcoated

Jun 29, 2012
I have the same problem with a nexus galaxy with jellybean 4.1.1
I found a soluction in web that talk of change a string in system\build.prop
"ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=" and change its value to 10.
But my problem is that in my build.prop the string there isn't.
How i can solve the low volume on my nexus?
Volume+ (volume boost) don't work, it crash at start :(

Last edited:
Reactions: rorreo

cangri87

Dec 4, 2007
The OC - Saint City
Bump!
If any of you guys have time, please Star that topic.
I know it can easily be fixed via rooting the device or what not.
But i'm kind of over the whole rooting scene in a way and just want to stay stock.
but it bugs me that if my nexus is in my pocket or if im not in a quiet room i can barely hear anything.

i also emailed the google play support team, hopefully they will reply.

i've owned way too many google devices for them to just ignore us like that.

best believe if this issue is not resolved via software update, sad to say but i will be switching over to ios.

cangri87

Dec 4, 2007
The OC - Saint City
reply back from Google Play.
I guess they cant do anything about it.. This sucks. :(

Hi JC,

Thanks for your response back. I can understand how annoying it can be to
experience low volume on your phone device and having to wait for the
development team to come out with an OTA to fix the issue. Unfortunately,
this information isn't available to us since it's being handled by the
Android development team. I recommend you report the issue directly to the
development team. Here's how you can report platform bugs:

http://developer.android.com/support.html

There is also a chance that the issue might be something Samsung might be
able to either repair or perform a replacement for; depending on how long
you've had your device. If you'd like, you're welcome to give us a call
and we can see if this will help. I'm providing a link to our click to
call below:

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=hardware

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply back to this
email and I'll be happy to help further.

Regards,

Jay
The Google Play Team

pdxtechdoctor

Aug 3, 2011
Bump!
If any of you guys have time, please Star that topic.
I know it can easily be fixed via rooting the device or what not.
But i'm kind of over the whole rooting scene in a way and just want to stay stock.
but it bugs me that if my nexus is in my pocket or if im not in a quiet room i can barely hear anything.

i also emailed the google play support team, hopefully they will reply.

i've owned way too many google devices for them to just ignore us like that.

best believe if this issue is not resolved via software update, sad to say but i will be switching over to ios.
If you are just referring to Music / Video audio volume you might want to check out this app.. I haven't tried it.. I'm running CM10 which sounds great...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.omegacentauri.SpeakerBoost&hl=en

I can understand the stock mentality but with a couple adjustments you will get a better than stock - stock experience...

Personally If I wanted to stock-ish, I would flash the stock rom, root, install trinitystable35 kernel, install trickster mod, adjust headphone volume only and then set superuser to deny any root attempt by default without a prompt...

strumcat

Mar 29, 2012
If you wanted to add that to your build.prop, you could download Build Prop Editor from the Playstore, create a key named ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps, and give it the value 10. At your own risk, of course.

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Do they even test this stuff? It's beyond unacceptable to have a speaker this inaudible. Makes me want to throw my phone every time I try to watch a video.

I added my two cents to the link.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

ALUCARDDEV

Sep 23, 2012
Dallas
Weird. I have better than average volume on everything and haven't modified anything other than putting CM10. Might it be a specific version?

Sent from SCH-I535 (CM10 0920) via XDA Premium

saadoberh

Mar 14, 2011
i have updatet to 4.1.2, still the same Problem, shame on google, that's a basic functionality !!! i have tried everything ... it's on ebay now :mad:

Joplisan

Jul 11, 2012
A simple app from a Play Store does wonders, if you don't want to unlock your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

VinceCZ

Mar 11, 2011
Prague
I also has got version 4.2.1 and I stock ROM is just fine for me, I never liked CM, but I have got root. A have got problem with volume too, do not hear SMS in my pocket at all.
I did not find the solution, Volume+ boost app still do not work with JB (hopefully will work soon) and Speaker Boost still "stop working", even the old versions.
So, do you know any other solution?

htc_fuzer

Nov 24, 2008
JB 4.1.1 Low volume issue resolved - at lease for me

i had the same issue when i upgraded my stock S3 to 4.1 -- the speaker volume was very low in Nav and music players.

Increasing the "Media" volume fixed it for me.

click on the volume button (up or down) and then click on the settings icon at the end of the slider. Now slide the "Media" volume to the highest.

Everything is back to normal -- in nav audio and speaker phone etc.

If you have not already tried this, you can give it a try ... it might fix it!

VinceCZ

Mar 11, 2011
Prague
i had the same issue when i upgraded my stock S3 to 4.1 -- the speaker volume was very low in Nav and music players.

Increasing the "Media" volume fixed it for me.

click on the volume button (up or down) and then click on the settings icon at the end of the slider. Now slide the "Media" volume to the highest.

Everything is back to normal -- in nav audio and speaker phone etc.

If you have not already tried this, you can give it a try ... it might fix it!

I had got problems with ringing and notifications, so this is not solution for me, BUT found another one, Ringtone Maker.

carinlynchin

Jan 23, 2012
I have upgraded to cm10.1 with jb 4.1.2.....I did the nightly builds for 01-02-2013...
the volume is horrendous.... even worse than stock. I don'tknow what else to try. hopefully it will be fixed in the next night builds......full speakerphone volume soundslikeit's coming from the headsetat full volume.... and the headset volume at full is barely audible even in s quiet room. I turned on the boost in strings but it did nothing. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

also....just curious.... is it normal fir cm10 to take up about 6gb of internal memory? I tried clearing everything out buteven after a clean install that is what it takes up.

nickcct

Jan 3, 2013
I have upgraded to cm10.1 with jb 4.1.2.....I did the nightly builds for 01-02-2013...
the volume is horrendous.... even worse than stock. I don'tknow what else to try. hopefully it will be fixed in the next night builds......full speakerphone volume soundslikeit's coming from the headsetat full volume.... and the headset volume at full is barely audible even in s quiet room. I turned on the boost in strings but it did nothing. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

also....just curious.... is it normal fir cm10 to take up about 6gb of internal memory? I tried clearing everything out buteven after a clean install that is what it takes up.

Try AOKP. It give me loudest sound output. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Guys,

Can you guys please go to the following link and star that problem, to see if Google can do something about correcting this issue.
    this low volume is the biggest complaint about staying stock.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35084