Make external storage the internal storage

Search This thread

GONZALEZJ7

Aug 30, 2011
yea i'm in System/etc scroll down don't see Vold file

Me either, did you figure it out

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

For anybody who wants alot of internal space by switching your external sd to internal storage do the following: First find the vold.fstab file in system/etc. Once you find it you will need to edit it with an app like root explorer. Scroll down the file until you see the internal sd card line change the 0 to 1. Then in the line that says external sd change the 1 to 0. That's it very simple. Now your external sd will be your internal space. Make sure the vold.fstab file has r-w-.r-r or 644 permissions and owner is root. Now reboot and your done. You should now have switched your external space for internal space successfully!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I cannot find the vold.fstab file in system/etc, any ideas?

GONZALEZJ7

Aug 30, 2011
For anybody who wants alot of internal space by switching your external sd to internal storage do the following: First find the vold.fstab file in system/etc. Once you find it you will need to edit it with an app like root explorer. Scroll down the file until you see the internal sd card line change the 0 to 1. Then in the line that says external sd change the 1 to 0. That's it very simple. Now your external sd will be your internal space. Make sure the vold.fstab file has r-w-.r-r or 644 permissions and owner is root. Now reboot and your done. You should now have switched your external space for internal space successfully!!!

Where can I find the vold.fstab file

GONZALEZJ7

Aug 30, 2011

Hello, any chance you can walk me through this, I cannot find vold.fstab file in system/etc

castedoblivion

Jan 26, 2016
Really excited to test this out but

Are there any known problems? How will this affect my recovery when flashing ROMS etc..? Is everything working fine?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CM9 actually have the option to do it. It was cool i actually swapped and work great. Anyway I am on P.A.C RoM 4.2.2 is it possible to do it with this rom? :confused::confused:

Use this zip just unzip and take the file out and place it in system/etc. With 644 or r-w-r-r permissions and owner as root. Then reboot
    I was wondering if this was possible on the galaxy reverb. Here is the vold.fstab.

Code:
    # Copyright (c) 2011, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.
    #
    # Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
    # modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
    # met:
    #     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    #       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    #     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
    #       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
    #       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
    #       with the distribution.
    #     * Neither the name of Code Aurora Forum, Inc. nor the names of its
    #       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
    #       from this software without specific prior written permission.
    #
    # THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
    # WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
    # MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
    # ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
    # BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
    # CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
    # SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
    # BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
    # WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
    # OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
    # IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
    ## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
    ##

#######################
    ## Regular device mount
    ##
    ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
    ## label        - Label for the volume
    ## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
    ## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
    ## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
    ######################
    #storage_struct = series, "/mnt/sdcard"
    #storage_struct = parallel
    {
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extSdCard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host 

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sda /mnt/UsbDriveA auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sdb /mnt/UsbDriveB auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sdc /mnt/UsbDriveC auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sdd /mnt/UsbDriveD auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sde /mnt/UsbDriveE auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb

#usb host device 
    {
    media_type = usb
    supported_exfat = yes
    }
    dev_mount sdf /mnt/UsbDriveF auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host/usb
    #EOF

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

Not familiar with the phone but it looks like all you have to do for this is switch the dev mount sd card with ex sdcard just switch the order so it reads the mount differently. The s2 uses 0 and 1 but basically it should be the same except it uses the words sd and ex instead.

Just a file located in your system/etc that I modified to make your phone mount external sd as internal sd to give you way more space for apps and data files for games or music etc.

What happens to the current data? Is it transferred to the external SD? Or just for new data that is written to the "internal memory"?
    Not trying to hijack the thread but, for those of you on a TW based ROM, if you wanna swap the internal and external storage, look for the following lines in the vold.fstab file:

internal sdcard
    {
    ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun/file
    secure_format = enable
    discard = enable
    }
    dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

# external sdcard
    {
    ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun_ex/file
    supported_exfat = yes
    android_secure_containers = enable
    }
    dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2

Where is says dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 under internal and dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard under external, just swap sdcard0 and extSdCard, save and reboot and the storage will be swapped. Tried it myself and tried swapping back successfully with no need for wiping the cache/dalvik nor with any bootloops. The instructions in the op will work but only for cm, aosp etc. Word of advice though, once you swap the storage, you will no longer have the ability to unmount the microsd card in order to hot swap it. You will have to shut down the phone before removing the microsd card unless you swap back. Also, any apps that have data stored on the internal storage will need to be ran in order for the extra data to be redownloaded to the "new" internal storage.