Android A8 (Smarty/Android/Yepo/Posideon/Plum Velocity)

Search This thread

prasad12ka4

Dear All,

As the Name suggests it is regarding the China Android Qwerty Mobile A8.
It has various names of which are in the subject.

GSMAreana : Plum Velocity

plum-velocity.jpg

Unofficial forum :

Official Site:

Manual:

Here is my quick review of this peice.

The apps which were NOT supported by this cell were:
-> MoboPlayer
-> Poweramp
-> many video players & audio players were not supported.

The apps which worked:
-> handcent sms
-> launcher pro (any launcher thrown at it worked including metro UI)
-> Games (angry birds rio,librith, aliens invasion, etc)
-> Extended Controls
-> Updates from Market

Speed wise the fone is OKish as it has 200 MB of RAM out of which you get 100 MB free. By the time you keep using it 70 MB is all you have.
Froyo 2.2.1 works flawless in it.
Touch sceen is a bit bad as u need hard touch.
QWERTY works great but one big flaw...no "," in it.
Volume keys on the keypad itself.
2 music players inbut -- Music & 3D music player.
Dual cams work well
Fring gets installed but din try as no WIFI.
1200 Mah battery works gr8 for one or more days (Nokia BL-5K)
Dual sim support works gr8 aswell.
Very Light in weight but same time it is fragile.
Tones loud enough.

Still in testing phase will keep updated as I get more hands on experiance on it.
Btw it has 2 charging points 1 USB and 2nd Nokia point :D
it takes 3 hours to charge but holds good enough for long time

Need more info on this cell friends Kindly help me :eek:

Recommended Apps for this Mobile:
1. Launcher --> ADW Launcher EX
2. Message --> Go SMS Pro (supports Dual Sim)
3. App 2 SD --> Must have app to move apps to SD card
4. Droid Shift up --> (Optional) Kills unwanted Apps
5. IO Notepad --> Notepad App
6. Opera Mini 6 --> Works flawless and is a must have app for this Handset
7. Photoshop Express --> Good photoeditor
9. PlayerPro --> Loud enough music player for this mobile (3D player & inbuilt music players are there but this is a step up)
10. Almost all inbuilt apps : Whatsapp, Yahoo messenger, youtube, etc can be updated.

Others which i tried for customisation
1. Minimalist Text
2. Widget locker pro

Both work great
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Development
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Beyond this point do at your own risk

Development / Issues / Solutions:

Reboot Issue

Tutorial on remapping hardware keyboard (credit: schloss)

Chinese utility MobileUncle Tools (credit: schloss)

IMEI Issue / Drivers / Flash Tool / System Folder Backup (credit: gabib77)

Awful end call beep (credit: schloss)

GPS

Credits to the original contributors given. If missed any kindly PM

Thread Rules:
1. No Argument
2. No hate speech
3. No Abuse
4. Respect other members
5. New members to be helped and guided
6. Search before posting
7. Test before posting any ROM,Tweak,Patch,MOD,etc
8. For the rest of rules click HERE

Last edited:

prasad12ka4

Reboot Issue *RESOLVED*

Most of us might have experianced a reboot issue in this mobile.
I am a heavy user of this handset and was quite annoyed with the reboot issue.
It rebooted after some 5 - 6 hours ..the duration varied.

Solution:

What I did was:
In Settings --> Display --> Screen Time out ---> Set it to 30 minutes & mostly lock the screen on your own by pressing the center key or use an alternate screen lock widget on the homescreen.

The reboot is gone now :)

*NOTE: Never ever use Extended controls in this mobile: AS it slows the boot process and takes longer time to load the widgets on the screen.

adamscott

Jan 25, 2012
The Android A8 is an unlocked Android cell phone. It gives you access to email, contacts, and calendar that synchronise with your web accounts and Personal Computer. The Android A8 lets you have your world, your way. The Android A8 smartphone is a perfect balance of form, function and affordability. It contains great quality of features.

schloss

Feb 3, 2012
How to solve problem with awful end call beep

ATTENTION!!!

It seems that one A8 may be not identical to another A8! Backup your phone before any system changes! It is your responsibility!

So, if you are brave enough:

Get modified Phone.apk (see attachment)

Copy original Phone.apk from /system/app/ to SD

Replace (do not delete or rename!) original Phone.apk in /system/app/ with modified Phone.apk (you need root privileges)

Reboot (you have no choice - A8 would be unusable at this point)

Return to /system/app and change permissions of new Phone.apk to rw-r--r--

Reboot again

Enjoy the silence! after call of course

Attachments

• Phone_A8_noBeep.rar
    1.6 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: prasad12ka4

prasad12ka4

ATTENTION!!!

It seems that one A8 may be not identical to another A8! Backup your phone before any system changes! It is your responsibility!

Replace (do not delete or rename!) original Phone.apk in /system/app/ with modified Phone.apk (you need root privileges)

Reboot again

makes the phone ustable.

Can you provide us with your firmware details

schloss

Feb 3, 2012
makes the phone ustable.

Can you provide us with your firmware details

Brand : yusu
Device : e1005_yp1
Display : ALPS.10Y.W10.48.MP.V2.03.P9
Fingerprint :
yusu/e1005_yp1/e1005_yp1/unknown:2.2.1/MASTER/eng.root.20110902.164729:user/test-keys
Android version : 2.2.1

As far as I know all A8 variations are equal in system part. So phone.apk behavior should be the same on all phones.

prasad12ka4

Brand : yusu
Device : e1005_yp1
Display : ALPS.10Y.W10.48.MP.V2.03.P9
Fingerprint :
yusu/e1005_yp1/e1005_yp1/unknown:2.2.1/MASTER/eng.root.20110902.164729:user/test-keys
Android version : 2.2.1

As far as I know all A8 variations are equal in system part. So phone.apk behavior should be the same on all phones.

Thank you for the details,

So is this the same A8 with QWERTY hardware keypad??? :confused:

gabib77

Aug 9, 2008
Bucharest
@schloss - Thank you for the link... the only forum I found something abou Star A8 was the russian one and I had to translate with Google Translator to find what is here :D

Now is too late, I replaced "phone.apk" in system\app\ using Root Explorer and all is OK for now...

I also have a backup for original "phone.apk" just in case

LE: for noobs like me in the Android system - use RootExplorer Full Version to copy phone.apk and change permissions of new Phone.apk to rw-r--r--

What other questions do I have:

1. Is there any way to turn on the LED from camera when I use a flashlight application... I tried all the applications from the market, but no one can turn ON the camera led :(

2. One more thing: I use English language at menu and when I type a numer it appears a line "-" between every 3 digits like that "072-239-2803". I want to appear simple "0722392803". When I switched the phone in Italian language, everything is perfect. I think that is because is English US, not English UK

Can you help me with that too? Thanks again, in advance :D

LE2: Thanks again @schloss for you answer on the other forum:
Mount / system in r / w mode
backup
/ System / lib / libcameracustom.so
and
/ System / lib / libmcamera.so
then replace it with files from this archive:
http://depositfiles.com/files/prxkj78ux
set permissions on this files to rw-r - r -
reboot
use flashlight :)

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

@schloss - after replacing the files in system/lib, I restarted the phone and it is stucked on "Loading" :( - didn't start anymore :(

Last edited:

gabib77

Aug 9, 2008
Bucharest
Does anybody have a video ringtone app that works using this phone... I tried all from the market and were very slow or not working :(

gabib77

Aug 9, 2008
Bucharest
I know that... that is why I asked if anybody found a videoringtone application which works fluent on this phone ;)

Someone said that neither a permanent call recorder application won't work,too... Try "Auto Call Recorder Pro" (attached here) and works fluent and without any beep during the call ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: prasad12ka4

caesare

Feb 28, 2012
ROM or Firmware

I have this phone, but they do not read the SIM chips, or has no line, i get on the screen to insert SIM. I have read in many forums and they all tell me that is the firmware or ROM, someone on here has it?
I have read a little about how to install, but if you like you know how to do so will give you all my thanks.
In fact I downloaded a file tell me is the firmware but when I try to put with the SP Flash Tool exe_v1.1052.03, tells me that INCORRECT SCATTER FILE FORMAT
The File size it's 80 Mb i cant attach here. and the link it's to long.
Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your phone doesn't have it's own thread, then I doubt that you will find much information here and I suspect not many A8 owners will be here either.
    How to solve problem with awful end call beep

ATTENTION!!!

Reboot again

I know that... that is why I asked if anybody found a videoringtone application which works fluent on this phone ;)

Someone said that neither a permanent call recorder application won't work,too... Try "Auto Call Recorder Pro" (attached here) and works fluent and without any beep during the call ;)
    anybody has succeeded installing android other that Froyo 2.2.1 on this device?

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

I have this phone, but they do not read the SIM chips, or has no line, i get on the screen to insert SIM. I have read in many forums and they all tell me that is the firmware or ROM, someone on here has it?
    I have read a little about how to install, but if you like you know how to do so will give you all my thanks.
    In fact I downloaded a file tell me is the firmware but when I try to put with the SP Flash Tool exe_v1.1052.03, tells me that INCORRECT SCATTER FILE FORMAT
    The File size it's 80 Mb i cant attach here. and the link it's to long.
    Thanks in advance.

Read this: I think you lost your IMEI's ;) - http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Chinese_Clones_MTK6516

How to restore the firmware:

That's what you need:

1. Driver for USB modem (shows in Device Management as mt65xx):
    http://w102376.open.ge.tt/1/files/4N72xXE/0/blob?download

It does not working in any x64 Windows. I had to use XP for restore. During driver installation you have to point to .inf file manually. Not to folder containing it, but to file itself.

2. Flash Tool for MT6516 chipset:
    http://w102376.open.ge.tt/1/files/4N72xXE/1/blob?download

3. Backed up /system folder:
    http://w102376.open.ge.tt/1/files/4N72xXE/2/blob?download

So, first of all you have to install USB modem driver. USB modem appears in devices just for a few seconds after plugging A8 in. Do not turn your A8 on - you don't need it completely during the all mentioned procedures.

Unplug your A8, plug in again. Look at Ports section of Device Management. There will be a new COM port. It is also appearing just for a few seconds after plugging in. Remember the number of this COM port.

Here is another tricky part. Open the Flash Tool. Plug in your device again, go to Options -> COM port and check this elusive COM port. It has to be done really quickly! But it has to be done only once.

Push Scatter-loading button, point to the MT6516_Android_scatter_2.2.1.txt from the unpacked backup. All other files from backup should be at the same folder, otherwise Flash Tool wouldn't know where to pick them.

Restore only system.img (ANDROID checkmark) - it will preserve your userdata, most of your apps etc. Uncheck all except ANDROID.

Unplug and plug you device again. Press F9 while you are in Flash Tool. If nothing happens, unplug, plug, press F9 again. You'll see yellow bar and a percentage showing restore completion.

Turn your device on!
    can you suggest how to go into the factory mode of this mobile?
    There is some key combination, but I don't remember it. I'm personally prefer chinese utility MobileUncle Tools for this task.