keep G2 or upgrade to S5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
And the camera and battery life are worse on the S5 then the G2. You'd have to be seriously committed to wanting a MicroSD slot, waterproofing and a few extra MHz to switch...

Still, I suppose screens have reached such ridiculous DPI levels that the PenTile AMOLEDs no longer look like a sack of s**t. Unless you prefer natural colours, that is. Plus, I'd wait 6 months after any new Samsung device has been released before buying one in case they've forgotten how to make eMMC controllers again :p

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Anything that the S5 offered that the G2 lack? And off those features, do you really need them?

crzykiller

Sep 20, 2012
And the camera and battery life are worse on the S5 then the G2. You'd have to be seriously committed to wanting a MicroSD slot, waterproofing and a few extra MHz to switch...

Still, I suppose screens have reached such ridiculous DPI levels that the PenTile AMOLEDs no longer look like a sack of s**t. Unless you prefer natural colours, that is. Plus, I'd wait 6 months after any new Samsung device has been released before buying one in case they've forgotten how to make eMMC controllers again :p

Actually the battery life has been proven to be better and the Screen is also the best screen out on the market right now accuracy wise, yes the screen is almost perfectly calibrated and the colors are very good. The GPU is also more potent (578mhz over 450mhz). BUT its made by Samsung so it still a piece of s***

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010

You do know that your posts is full of innacuracies and regurgitated fan ? crap? You're wrong pretty much on all points.
I for one am sticking to g2 for a time being and cost versus benefits ratio is definitely in g2 favor.

On grey market in Canada for brand new in the box, it is $400 cash for g2 vs $800 with taxes from provider for sgs5.

Sent from my LG-D803

Last edited:

joeynox

Sep 21, 2013
the camera on the g2 is a hit and miss piece of dung. It is by far the most inconsistent camera ive ever used on a smart phone. In a low light shoot out my lumia 920/iphone5s/then g2. and in decent light it is still a fuzzy grainy noisy phone but when the light is optimal its wonderful. the gs5 is similar in terms of camera performence except the shutter is almost instant like on the iphone 5s. the g2 takes way too long to focus and shoot.plus the s5 is water resistant . personally id wait another month and see what the G3 is all about. thats what im doing.

liteon163

Apr 1, 2011
Wait and see. I'd call the S5 and the G2 too close to call, as they each have their own strengths.

The G3 sounds like it'll be better than the S5, thus the wait and see approach...

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
You do know that your posts is full of innacuracies and regurgitated fan �� crap? You're wrong pretty much on all points.
I for one am sticking to g2 for a time being and cost versus benefits ratio is definitely in g2 favor.

On grey market in Canada for brand new in the box, it is $400 cash for g2 vs $800 with taxes from provider for sgs5.

Sent from my LG-D803

Really? So I'm imagining my friends' (often repeatedly) bricked S3s and Note 2s? I'm imagining that all the comparison shots I've seen (especially low light) make the G2 camera with its OIS look better than the S5? I'm imagining that even though Samsung released kernel patches for the broken ERASE/DISCARD on S2/S3/Note/Note2 eMMC (not to mention other manufacturer's devices that also used f**ed Sammy eMMC), the performance of those devices now sucks in comparison to other Android hardware running TRIM enabled Android? I'm imagining that the S5 has a smaller capacity battery and I get 7-8 hours SOT out of the G2 running PA4 beta4? Oh, and AMOLEDs - even if you can't see the subpixels, they've finally decided to stop calibrating them to a cartoon colour space, and you can read them outdoors: I've seen myself that even the panel on the S5 suffers from wild differences in colour temperature at different brightness levels and I see no evidence that it won't be subject to the rapid decay that is AFAIK inherent to their manufacture at the moment, the display on my S2 looks crap now. Its gone purple. And the device has hardly been used.

And finally, I'm imagining the fact that my girlfriends old S2, which we replaced with a Nexus 4 after 6 months because it was so crap is the most unstable POS with the worst battery life of any Android device I've ever had the misfortune to own, regardless of what it was running?

GPL compliance? Bootloader security? Any other reasons to hate Samsung required? They're a blight on the face of the Android ecosystem.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
the camera on the g2 is a hit and miss piece of dung. It is by far the most inconsistent camera ive ever used on a smart phone. In a low light shoot out my lumia 920/iphone5s/then g2. and in decent light it is still a fuzzy grainy noisy phone but when the light is optimal its wonderful. the gs5 is similar in terms of camera performence except the shutter is almost instant like on the iphone 5s. the g2 takes way too long to focus and shoot.plus the s5 is water resistant . personally id wait another month and see what the G3 is all about. thats what im doing.

Stock camera? Xdabbabs camera is a work at art. Just saying... I can't take a bad photo now.

Sent from my VS980 4G

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Really? So I'm imagining my friends' (often repeatedly) bricked S3s and Note 2s? I'm imagining that all the comparison shots I've seen (especially low light) make the G2 camera with its OIS look better than the S5? I'm imagining that even though Samsung released kernel patches for the broken ERASE/DISCARD on S2/S3/Note/Note2 eMMC (not to mention other manufacturer's devices that also used f**ed Sammy eMMC), the performance of those devices now sucks in comparison to other Android hardware running TRIM enabled Android? I'm imagining that the S5 has a smaller capacity battery and I get 7-8 hours SOT out of the G2 running PA4 beta4? Oh, and AMOLEDs - even if you can't see the subpixels, they've finally decided to stop calibrating them to a cartoon colour space, and you can read them outdoors: I've seen myself that even the panel on the S5 suffers from wild differences in colour temperature at different brightness levels and I see no evidence that it won't be subject to the rapid decay that is AFAIK inherent to their manufacture at the moment, the display on my S2 looks crap now. Its gone purple. And the device has hardly been used.

And finally, I'm imagining the fact that my girlfriends old S2, which we replaced with a Nexus 4 after 6 months because it was so crap is the most unstable POS with the worst battery life of any Android device I've ever had the misfortune to own, regardless of what it was running?

GPL compliance? Bootloader security? Any other reasons to hate Samsung required? They're a blight on the face of the Android ecosystem.

I see that indeed you have strong feelings on the subject, and I can go with you, toe to toe, on all points, but I won't. You're just too much all over the place with your arguments, and sufficiently off topic, to make it really not worthwhile discussing this further. Salutations! ?

I stand by my original post.

Sent from my LG-D803

schnip

Dec 6, 2010
changing from G2 to galaxy s5 is not an upgrade. some things like battery and screen are outright downgrade. some other things like fingerprint scanner/heartrate monitor are an upgrade.

The key thing is: you have to decide what factors you personally prioritise. If fingerprint scanner is more important for you than good battery life, go for the S5. Otherwise dont "upgrade".

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
I see that indeed you have strong feelings on the subject, and I can go with you, toe to toe, on all points, but I won't. You're just too much all over the place with your arguments, and sufficiently off topic, to make it really not worthwhile discussing this further. Salutations! ��

I stand by my original post.

Sent from my LG-D803

So we can summarise this interaction with the following:

'You are wrong'

'Am I? Because my experience and evidence, while largely anecdotal, suggests very much the opposite.'

'I have no counterargument, you are wrong because I say you are and I know best'

Well, that was a waste of time.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely day too! :highfive:

Edit: But to clarify, you're disputing that there was a widespread issue with bricked S2s, S3s, Notes and Note 2s due to faulty eMMC? You're disputing that the brightness of subpixels in AMOLED displays decay quite noticeably and at a different rate by colour (which is why they're PenTile in the first place) within the typical usage span of a mobile device equipped with one (say 2 years?) You're disputing that the CM device maintainers for Exynos devices threatened to quit/did quit over Samsung's delayed and dysfunctional kernel source dumps? Because I assure you, all of those are FACTS. Not all totally relevant to the S5, but factual. They've proven they have reckless disregard for their customers and go out of their way to make things difficult for the kind of people who hang out here on XDA.

Last edited:

schnip

Dec 6, 2010
So we can summarise this interaction with the following:

'You are wrong'

'Am I? Because my experience and evidence, while largely anecdotal, suggests very much the opposite.'

'I have no counterargument, you are wrong because I say you are and I know best'

Well, that was a waste of time.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely day too! :highfive:

Edit: But to clarify, you're disputing that there was a widespread issue with bricked S2s, S3s, Notes and Note 2s due to faulty eMMC? You're disputing that the brightness of subpixels in AMOLED displays decay quite noticeably and at a different rate by colour (which is why they're PenTile in the first place) within the typical usage span of a mobile device equipped with one (say 2 years?) You're disputing that the CM device maintainers for Exynos devices threatened to quit/did quit over Samsung's delayed and dysfunctional kernel source dumps? Because I assure you, all of those are FACTS. Not all totally relevant to the S5, but factual. They've proven they have reckless disregard for their customers and go out of their way to make things difficult for the kind of people who hang out here on XDA.

And youre digressing thus not helping the OP

Gesendet von meinem LG-D802 mit Tapatalk

anl2304

Feb 20, 2012
I do not own the S5, but tinkered with one a bit on the day of release. I am sure in some respects the S5 is an upgrade to the G2. I hear the camera is better than the stock G2 camera. Battery life is also improved. The thing is, the battery life on my G2 is soo good ( and so much better than the S4 that I had previously) that I cannot imagine the S5 offering me a noticeable improvement. As for the camera, since I started using modded cameras (Jinsu or Xdabbeb) I have not had any issues. The stock camera had some issues (like the long delay before shooting and i think low-light performance). I think the two phones are so close, that you may be better off waiting a few weeks to see what the G3 has to offer.

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
I returned my s5 after 7 hours. the camera is garbage. the phone got as hot as the s4 did. the screen while nice, did not match the accuracy and whites of the g2. it had crappy build quality bc it has the body shifting issue my s3 had, where the battery didn't fit right in the cavity and would move inside that cavity and made the phone twist and crack everytime you picked it up.

I stuck to my g2 and I'll wait for the g3.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2

joeynox

Sep 21, 2013
I tried an s5 at an att store yesterday and I like the feel of the device better than the g2 and the camera was great. It was super fast and took insanely sharp images. Low light wasn't good. The screen is gorgeous the weight is good. Its not a great leap over the g2 but it is a nice device. The g3 is rumored to have a very high resolution screen which is useless . hopefully they fix the bad camera. All LG has to do is water proof , fix the camera low light and noise issues and possible up the battery to 3400. That would be golden

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would advise people on G2 to sit out this year's upgrade cycle. The Snapdragon 800/801 are almost same. 801 is actually a stop gap to the real deal which is Snapdragon 810 which would be 64 bit capable and would have Adreno 430.

Buy the next phone which has Snapdragon 808/810 CPU and Adreno 418/430 GPU respectively. Now that's what I would call a real upgrade.

here's a camera sample if you don't believe me:

GS5:
    http://i.imgur.com/eXnTecL.jpg

G2:
    http://i.imgur.com/dYYSG4U.jpg

both in bright daylight, around 1pm.

here's an album for you as well:
    http://imgur.com/a/tSJBt
    You do know that your posts is full of innacuracies and regurgitated fan �� crap? You're wrong pretty much on all points.

Sent from my LG-D803

For me no upgrade until 64-bit processors are included into the high end phones.
    Any investment until a major technological advances is pointless taking in account the huge performance LG G2 already have.