Eugene OR TeamWhiskey 2.2

Search This thread

lralexl

Sep 22, 2010
My two cents. I have a lot of respect for both groups. I am currently running TW version but will be flashing a eugene kernel over it once things settle some.

Why did I pick the TW you may ask. For me it is simple. TW is a base of just samsung files for the vibrant. Flawed or not they are all kinda matched. Both roms are WIP and will be for some time but as more devs pick up on the roms they will likely use the vibrant base. That said Eugene has a HUGE HUGE advantage in the kernel department as he has been working with them for months.

So for me the TW base and work with eugenes custom roms till someone else starts modding kernels for 2.2

TW = Team Whiskey... not Touch-Wiz

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 6
TW = Team Whiskey... not Touch-Wiz

LOL well in this case the Team Whiskey rom is mostly unmodded touch-wiz thus the reason it makes a good base. All the key base files are all from one vibrant build. Yes they had modded and tweaked but it is essentially all one touch-wiz source..

Eugene was forced to take a different approach as he did not have a unified source to work from until today. His is a mix of AT&T and I9000 files with some vibrant mixed in I believe.

It is amazing what Eugene was able to accomplish. I am keeping a VERY close eye on both dev's and expect to see master jump in soon as well.

aczarney

Sep 7, 2010
Team Whiskey Roms are great. That being said, I'd stick with Bionix Final or Bionix Fusion until an official 2.2 comes out for the Vibrant. There are lots of little things (like random force closes in various apps, for example) which more than likely aren't related to the roms at all that make the novelties of JIT and flash less worth it.

D

Deleted member 2653512

Eugene and TW are BOTH great. like everything else in the world this is relative. relative to personal preference. i think the poster that made the point of Eugene having more experience with the 2.2 version might have a valid argument. but, on the other hand, TW is the poop when it comes to perfecting software. so.... maybe Eugene and TW can get on the same team. Eugene can swap the knowledge he's gained with TW and they can all get caught up for faster progress. after all... open source IS the name of the game. right boys?

FreydNot

Jun 21, 2010
Seattle
For me it comes down to Wifi calling in R9 vs the use of the full T-mobile leak in Obsidian V1. I'm going to start with R9 and if I can't handle it as my DD, then I try out Obsidian V1.

Edit: I just noticed R10 is out. It looks like more general bug fixed. I imagine with the full leaked release in Eugenes hands to work from, it can only get better as more updates come out.

Edit: I see that Wifi calling is also listed for Obsidian V1. Not sure how I missed that. Eugene says R11 is right around the corner, so maybe I'll try our Obsidian V1 first and then R11 when it drops.

Last edited:

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
My take

I've used both TW and Eugene roms. Both have good points and ppl are loyal to one or the other depending on their needs and understanding of the rom. Where I think TW does a better job is; on the play by play explanations for install and do a better marketing writeup (more enticing descriptions). Beyond that, it is a personal preference. I personally like Eugene's roms better, no real science behind the statement but I have never had a hang or anything not work. But that is just me.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I ran both roms eugene put out and tw's 2.2 for a few hours each today. i personally like the look of eugenes roms better, but tw's obsidian is more complete...less issues with obsidian. I f your familiar with the "2.2 race", you also know there was some sketchy-ness going on. Give eugene a few days and his rom will be the better one, imo.

...I seem to still be having data issues with both roms :( Not as good reception and losing data for almost a minute when switching from 3g to edge and back...I have always had a very solid 3g signal at home and ive been using edge half the day...

Last edited:

sparkyj62

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago
Team whiskey roms are far too buggy to rely on

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Ive been running bionix fusion 1.2 so far havent experienced any issues so far. 1.1 had a couple small issues for me but overall was pretty good. As someone else has said no two vibrants are a like. So far i have only used Team Whiskey roms, but have no real loyalty for either. Props go out to both for doing what they do best, and giving us a bunch of options to chose from.

Last edited:

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
I wouldn't know. They both have a huge following though. What I have noticed is that each one has very loyal followers. It almost seems as if its "either one or the other". But since it is now 2.2, it is a completely different ball game.

Well I try everything, so I'm trying Macnut R10 and Bionix Obsidian. And I'll settle on whichever one works overall best to my needs. This stuff is so easy to personally evaluate that you really don't need to do anything but simply go see for yourself.

My two cents... YMMV. :)

jmerchant

Aug 24, 2010
Well as my sig stats, I'm into Bionix - Team Whiskey releases, really other than a problem with exchange calendar synching this has been pretty stable.

All the previous Bionix releases we're way stable for me never having a single issues with any of them.

But we'll see how things shake out over the next few days...

gl3nng

Oct 7, 2010
MD
Try both roms and play with it. Then you'll know which rom makes you comfortable with.

I love bionix and eugene. They made my vibrant very happy

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Prodrive789

Oct 26, 2010
Kent,Wa
Both camps are very talented and put out great stuff. I'm going hold off on either 2.2 setup for a bit, I'm running Bionix Fusion and I'm quite happy!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

nearblack

Aug 18, 2010
I say give them both a try.

And these ROMs are really getting a bad rep - they aren't as buggy as it has been portrayed.

95% of the people with bugs will post on those threads.

95% of the people who have the ROM running great won't post.

Just facts of how forums work.

Honestly, there are people who are reporting issues that make it clear that they shouldn't be flashing ROMs at all. If you don't know a ROM has the possibility to wipe, and you didn't back up, stay on stock and wait patiently for the OTAs. If you don't go through the steps of rebooting, reflashing, and ODINing to stock and then reflashing, before posting any bugs, then again, stay on stock and wait patiently for the OTAs.

These Froyo ROMs have been as buggy as any other Eclair ROM for the most part. These past couple of days have just been insane :eek:

Nov 7, 2010
Team whiskey roms are far too buggy to rely on

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

All these MODs are flaky, tw, eugene, master et al. Have tried them all and multiple versions. Just goes to show how bad Samsung effed up this phone that the modded ROMs are still a better experience than stock.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to the XDA homepage, the Macnut thread is more popular today than the Obsidian thread.