[Help] S4 Screen Flickers When the Phone is cold?

Search This thread

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
Hey friendly members of XDA,

My phone started to flicker recently and I could not figure out why it does this...
http://youtu.be/uhSOd6tlVgw

I did not have any water damage or physical damage to my phone but it started doing this randomly. When my phone gets colder, the screen starts to flicker, then half of the screen flickers with a yellow hue, then after a while the screen will be yellow. Also, while the phone is cold, the screen will not turn on. (I failed to show this in the video). Is there something I can do to fix this?

When I warm my phone up with my hands, the flickering goes away and everything goes back to normal.

Thank you,
Jerry

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
Please help. This has been an ongoing issue.

More info...rooted? Using ROM w/mdk boot loader?using ROM w/safestrap?if stock which firmware are you using?all these things will give people more info to help you with the problem...and all these variables can all have their own quirks and problems...give a little more info and I'm sure someone here will be able to help

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Sounds like a graphical blobs problem but I don't how internal temperature could affect that.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
It's up to you but I probably would. If something physical is affecting your phone then there's some type of hardware issue with your phone. Unfortunately xda can only help with software.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If I plan to ship it back, I have to revert it back to stock right? Or is there another procedure?

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
You can use one of the Odin files for your phone, there on here . If you're sending it in just grab the mj7 or mk2 one and your good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but could you point me to the direction in which I could do so?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
I changed ROMs, and problem still occurs. Anyone else have this issue? Is this a hardware issue? Is it the digitizer?

Thanks,

Jerry

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I changed ROMs, and problem still occurs. Anyone else have this issue? Is this a hardware issue? Is it the digitizer?

Thanks,

Jerry

Well you could try flashing the latest Adreno drivers for our phone in recovery, if you still have SafeStrap that is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygyqpqmz6m30yuj/UPDATE-adreno-drivers-jflte9505.zip

Filename says i9505 but it's good for our Verizon S4s too.

Probably is a hardware issue if you've already tried Odin and different ROMs but hey worth a try if your going to send it back anyways.

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
Well you could try flashing the latest Adreno drivers for our phone in recovery, if you still have SafeStrap that is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygyqpqmz6m30yuj/UPDATE-adreno-drivers-jflte9505.zip
I believe that I am LOKIed and not safe strapped.

Filename says i9505 but it's good for our Verizon S4s too.

Probably is a hardware issue if you've already tried Odin and different ROMs but hey worth a try if your going to send it back anyways.

I'm not safe strapped. I'm LOKIed.

mariopapas

Feb 7, 2014
Montreal
similar screen flickering problem in cold ish environment, diagnosis.

I have a similar flickering problem. Is related to "cold temper.". There is a translucent rectangle that pops-up and overlays 80% of the screen (lower side) - it flickers. The rectangle is light grey and the screen icons etc are underneath it. However, the grey gets more and more dense and eventually, the rectangle becomes solid grey with less flicker, then, you can no longer see the screen contents beneath it. Also, the overlaid rectangle grows to about 95% of the screen. Only part of the notification line on top is visible. Amazingly, the screen and touching the various icons and buttons still works 100% perfectly ... only problem is you cannot see what you are touching ; . . . so you have to guess where the various icons and buttons are, . . . and touch them accordingly (blindly so to speak). I suspect there is a background "phantom" task that is running, pertinent to various sensors ( ex. proximity) that is misbehaving. This phantom task likely is launched after a wake-up or re-boot event. Eventually, the phantom task slows-down its strange work, the flickering and the greyness of the translucent rectangle is reduced, and after few seconds it goes away and the phone works fine again. So my diagnosis is: some kind of fault between a background running task and the GPU O/S driver. The problem is critical in that if you are out in a snow-storm scenario and want to use your phone, simply, you won't be able to, the flickering obstruction can last 5-10 minutes.
Has anybody solved the problem with 100% satisfactory result ?

mukeshbaidwan

Mar 27, 2015
Chandigarh
Hey friendly members of XDA,

My phone started to flicker recently and I could not figure out why it does this...
http://youtu.be/uhSOd6tlVgw

I did not have any water damage or physical damage to my phone but it started doing this randomly. When my phone gets colder, the screen starts to flicker, then half of the screen flickers with a yellow hue, then after a while the screen will be yellow. Also, while the phone is cold, the screen will not turn on. (I failed to show this in the video). Is there something I can do to fix this?

When I warm my phone up with my hands, the flickering goes away and everything goes back to normal.

Thank you,
Jerry

Hi mate,
I am facing the same issue so how exactly did you fix it? Was it a hardware problem?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts