[GUIDE][All-In-One][Step-By-Step]Root, Recoveries, ROMs, Kernels, Kexec and Dual Boot

Search This thread

mad96

Dec 5, 2010
I'm having trouble with the root image file I downloaded, open says extract tar file but after i have the file it doesn't let me do anything. Is it just as simple as changing the extension or how is it done? Thanks

M.yA.nD.droidS3

Cvballa3g0

Jul 20, 2011
Lakeland
I'm having trouble with the root image file I downloaded, open says extract tar file but after i have the file it doesn't let me do anything. Is it just as simple as changing the extension or how is it done? Thanks

M.yA.nD.droidS3

No, you have to extract it. Into a 1.5gb zip

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

flamus

Mar 3, 2008
I tried that and it says it can't do that to a .torrent file idk, it's a little frustrating lol

M.yA.nD.droidS3

That is the file to download the ROM. You need a torrent client such as uTorrent. Open the .torrent file with the client and wait for the 1.5gig ROM. :)

Reactions: mad96

ercDROID

May 20, 2011
Couldnt get the custom kernel and recovery to stick. I used ez recovery app to flash cwm touch. Put zip file and kernel on root of external sd card. Changed name of kernel to boot.img using root explorer.....also tried just changing it to boot. Booted into recovery. Flashed the zip. Didnt Work. Any help would be appreciated.

Cvballa3g0

Jul 20, 2011
Lakeland
Couldnt get the custom kernel and recovery to stick. I used ez recovery app to flash cwm touch. Put zip file and kernel on root of external sd card. Changed name of kernel to boot.img using root explorer.....also tried just changing it to boot. Booted into recovery. Flashed the zip. Didnt Work. Any help would be appreciated.

Try manually pushing it.
Dowmload and install terminal
Type these in. Be sure to change the name to boot.img. to get imto the kernel, you have to rebooting using the recovery method.

su

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 bs=256k

reboot recovery

ercDROID

May 20, 2011
Try manually pushing it.
Dowmload and install terminal
Type these in. Be sure to change the name to boot.img. to get imto the kernel, you have to rebooting using the recovery method.

su

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 bs=256k

reboot recovery

It was my stupidity. I was using the internal sd zip. All Good now.

Malaclypse5

Jan 24, 2009
Can't Access External SD in CWM Recovery

I feel a bit foolish here, assume I am missing the obvious. Coming from an E4GT. I have the latest CWM (tried both standard and touch, touch currently flashed) but cannot install a zip file from my external SD card - I can only browse the folders on the device storage. I've tried mounting ext_sdcard, which appears to complete successfully, but no joy when looking to flash a zip from sdcard. Also looks like my backups in CWM are going to local storage, which isn't preferable. Many thanks if anyone can set me straight here!

UPDATE: Resolved: If you have this problem you probably flashed recovery from ROM Manager (my first time to do this). Use the EZ Flash instead - CWM through ROM Manager may not see external SD card files (you may still need them to be root if you have problems).

Last edited:

wonderrx

Apr 12, 2011
Wanted to check in and see if this thread could come back to life discussing dual boot.

Before flashing a new custom touchwiz 4.1 I tried running the new nightly's for CM10.1. I liked it but wasn't ready to live in it full time.

Then I remembered seeing the dual booting stuff discussed back in the Summer.

Anyone updated this stuff to work with current recoveries and kernals? I'd love to try the dual booting stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts