[GUIDE] A detailed step-by-step "Dummies Guide" to installing CM7 on your ATRIX MB860

Search This thread

The.Opethian

Nov 9, 2008
London
www.opethian.com
[GUIDE] A detailed step-by-step "Dummies Guide" to installing CM7 on your ATRIX MB860

After reading several threads of where to go and how to do it, and being able to successfully install CM7 after going through all those threads, I took it upon myself that if I was ever successful in getting it on my device (Motorola Atrix MB860, locked to T-Mobile UK), I'd share my experience and hopefully create a how-to in the process. I am hoping this guide will be useful to many others.

Please be advised that this is the completed version of this simple guide, the actual process involved me having to back track and read several threads, then re-read some more other threads just to make sure I did the proper thing.

A big thank you to all those who took the time to make the guides I based this "all in one" guide for T-Mobile Atrix users. Some of them had an instruction or two missing (like when do you plug in the phone to the computer?) that would have been obvious to many but to some would have had trouble figuring out.

The phone in question: Motorola Atrix MB860. My phone was running Android 2.2.2. I updated the phone using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.

Since I got it as a free phone on a new contract, I'd like to assume that the phone itself was network locked. I haven't tried any other SIM with it so far. Please be advised, YOU DO NOT NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE TO GET CM7. Unlocking the BOOTLOADER, is not the same as unlocking the phone. This maybe obvious to some people, but again, not to everyone (saw a guy respond in one forum who had to pay to get his phone network-unlocked, in hoping that would make it easier to install CM7 for him).

Also, this guide is not meant to be the official way of loading it up, I just hope that it makes it easier for someone else to load up the excellent CM7 on to a Motorola Atrix. Add it to the list of many threads you'll need to read! But I hope this thread is all you need to read.

So here goes, the step by step guide (I took) in getting the latest CM7 on it. Before I start, a few necessary words:

WARNING #1 - Ensure that whenever you plugin your phone, or install something, or run a command, please let the event finish before going on to the next step. In my experience, there were several times that I had to plug in the phone, and wait for the driver installation to continue, and on one instance I got a bit impatient unplugged the phone before realizing that it was still installing. It set me back another 10 minutes just because of that.

WARNING #2 - Please make sure that you back up any data that you have just to be sure. After the end of the entire process, your phone will be back to factory settings and you will need to re-setup any customisations, and put back any media files you use, AND install any apps you use.

WARNING #3 - Just to be safe, and to make sure that your battery stats isn't messed up, make sure that you fully charge your phone first before continuing with this guide.

DISCLAIMER - As with anything regarding XDA and tinkering with your phone, you may void your warranty doing this. I cannot be 100% sure that your phone will not be bricked by this (I've been using the guides by XDA'ers over the years and have yet to brick a phone. Well I did brick my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 once, but I was able to recover it!). Proceed at your own discretion.

THE GUIDE

1. Download all the necessary files. I have taken the liberty of gathering all the files you will need in one archive. Click on any of the following download links to grab it.

2. UnRAR the archive to "C:". A warning may show up based on your security settings, just say "Yes" to this.

3. Install the necessary drivers and programs. Start with "MotorolaEndUserDrivers_5.1.0x64.msi". Then install "RSDLite5.3.1.msi".

4. Unlocking the Bootloader.

a. Turn off your phone.

b. Remove your SIM, and MicroSD card if you have one.

c. Put the battery back in, then press and hold "Power Button + Volume Up" until it acknowledges RSD.

d. The phone will say “Starting RSD protocol support”.

e. On your computer, open "RSD Lite".

f. Press the “...” button.

g. Locate the "intl-fix-try1.sbf" file. This should be located in "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Select that. For USA AT&T users please refer to this link to download the correct SBF file.

h. Connect your phone to the computer. Ensure that all the drivers are installed before proceeding.

i. RSD Lite should recognize your phone and say something similar to “Model: SE Flash Olympus” and the status should read as “Connected…

j. Press the “Start” button. This may take a few moments. My phone rebooted and completed starting up before the timer in RSD Lite reached 100%! But I did not disconnect the phone just to be sure.

k. Press "Windows Key + R". Type "cmd" then press "Enter".

l. In the command prompt window, enter in "C:" first to make sure you're in the right drive, then execute "cd C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\fastboot\" to go to the right folder. This will change your working folder to that of where the files are (well, a subfolder of the main folder, you should be at the fastboot working folder, I won't say folder again... D'OH!).

m. Turn off your phone. After making sure it's turned off, press "Power Button + Volume Down" until you see "Fastboot" on the phone's screen.

n. Press "Volume Up" and you should see “Starting Fastboot protocol support”.

o. Connect your phone back to the computer via USB. Again, ensure that any driver installation prompts are finished before proceeding.

p. Back at the command prompt, type "fastboot oem unlock".

q. A warning will appear, along with a "Unique Device ID".

r. Type "fastboot oem unlock *****". Where ***** will be your "Unique Device ID".

s. Type "fastboot reboot".

t. Your phone will now reboot. Now, your phone has an unlocked bootloader!​

5. Flashing CWM Recovery using FASTBOOT.

a. Turn off your phone. Then boot into "fastboot". This is done by pressing "Power Button + Volume Down" when turning on your phone.

b. When you see "Fastboot" on the phone's screen, press "Volume Up" to select it.

c. Connect your phone to your computer. Again ensure any prompts are finished before proceeding.

d. Your command prompt should still be open, and your working directory should still be "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\fastboot\". Now type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img".

e. After the process, type in "fastboot reboot".

f. Your phone will now reboot, and you have successfully installed CWM Recovery.​

6. Installing Cyanogen Mod 7!

a. Turn the phone off then put back your SIM, and your MicroSD card.

b. Turn on your phone, and after the phone completely boots up, connect it to your computer. You should use Mass Storage as the connection option in the phone.

c. Copy the files "Ba2tF.zip" and "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip" into the phone's internal memory.

d. Disconnect the phone properly from the computer, then turn off the phone.

e. On the phone, press "Power Button + Volume Down" until you see "Fastboot".

f. Press "Volume Down" several times until you see "Android Recovery". Then press "Volume Up". Your phone should say "Entering Android Recovery Mode".

g. Using the volume keys for movement (Up & Down) and the power button for selection, choose "install zip from sdcard".

h. Then select "choose zip from internal sdcard".

i. You might see a lot of folders and files here. You will need to select "Ba2tF.zip".

j. After which, it will ask you to confirm. Select "Yes - Install Ba2tF.zip".

k. After it completes the installation, you will need to run the "wipe data/factory reset" command in CWM Recovery. Follow the prompts to complete this.

l. After that, you will need to run the "wipe cache partition" command in CWM Recovery. Again, follow the prompts to complete this.

m. When it completes, choose "reboot system now".

n. Be enchanted by the excellent Cyanogen Mod 7 loading screen!

7. Due to an arrangement (more like a request) from Google, the Cyanogen Mod 7 release does not contain any Google Apps. To install the necessary Google Apps:

a. Turn off the phone.

b. On the phone, press "Power Button + Volume Down" until you see "Fastboot".

c. Press "Volume Down" several times until you see "Android Recovery". Then press "Volume Up". Your phone should say "Entering Android Recovery Mode".

d. Using the volume keys for movement (Up & Down) and the power button for selection, choose "install zip from sdcard".

e. Then select "choose zip from internal sdcard".

f. You might see a lot of folders and files here. You will need to select "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip".

g. After which, it will ask you to confirm. Select "Yes - Install gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip".

h. When it completes, choose "reboot system now".​

8. That is it! That's the whole process I believe. Can easily be done in 30 minutes, but I would recommend alotting an hour to this project just to be safe.

I have found that once going on to Cyanogen Mod 7, it would be very hard, nay, would be insane for me to go back to the Stock ROM (or any other ROM for that matter!). I personally think that all this hard work is worth it. Bottom line, I appreciate what my phone is and has to offer thanks to the Cyanogen Mod team (specifically the Atrix-Dev-Team!).

Most importantly, donations to the Atrix-Dev-Team (http://code.google.com/p/atrix-dev-team/) will be most appreciated (I'm not a part of them but I support what they do, hey). They do a fantastic job and giving them some beer money is the least we can do to show our appreciation.

Last and not the least, this guide is a combination of all the other guides that I have had to read and peruse in order for me to get my phone on to CM7. All I did was get the necessary important information that was useful to me, but the credit of the actual content and the guides go to the following:

* In case you were wondering what "preinstall.img" is, well according to this thread, it should help with ROOTing your phone. I haven't done so, haven't used it, but I've attached it for your convenience should you feel extra adventurous.

I wish you success in the installation of CM7 on to your Motorola Atrix!

Last edited:

xploited

Feb 8, 2009
Good job figuring it out and writing an in detail guide, I am sure many people will find it useful ....
BUT
.... the procedures of installing CM7 on network locked and network unlocked phones are exactly the same.

So, existing guides would do the job just fine, disregarding if the phone is sim locked or not.

Reactions: The.Opethian

yey365

Jun 4, 2008
NOTE: This guide can also work on unlocked phones.

After reading several threads of where to go and how to do it, and being able to successfully install CM7 after going through all those threads, I took it upon myself that if I was ever successful in getting it on my device (Motorola Atrix MB860, locked to T-Mobile UK), I'd share my experience and hopefully create a how-to in the process that I am hoping will be useful to others.

Please be advised that this is the completed version of this simple guide, my actual process involved me having to back track and read several threads, then re-read some more other threads just to make sure I did the proper thing.

A big thank you to all those who took the time to make the guides I based this "all in one" guide for T-Mobile Atrix users. Some of them had an instruction or two missing (like when do you plug in the phone to the computer?) that would have been obvious to many but to some would have had trouble figuring out.

The phone in question: Motorola Atrix MB860. My phone was running Android 2.2.2. I updated the phone using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.

Since I got it as a free phone on a new contract, I'd like to assume that the phone itself was network locked. I haven't tried any other SIM with it so far. Please be advised, YOU DO NOT NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE TO GET CM7. Unlocking the BOOTLOADER, is not the same as unlocking the phone. This maybe obvious to some people, but again, not to everyone (saw a guy respond in one forum who had to pay to get his phone network-unlocked, in hoping that would make it easier to install CM7 for him).

Also, this guide is not meant to be the official way of loading it up, I just hope that it makes it easier for someone else to load up the excellent CM7 on to a Motorola Atrix. Add it to the list of many threads you'll need to read! But I hope this thread is all you need to read.

So here goes, the step by step guide (I took) in getting the latest CM7 on it. Before I start, a few necessary words:

WARNING #1 - Ensure that whenever you plugin your phone, or install something, or run a command, please let the event finish before going on to the next step. In my experience, there were several times that I had to plug in the phone, and wait for the driver installation to continue, and on one instance I got a bit impatient unplugged the phone before realizing that it was still installing. It set me back another 10 minutes just because of that.

WARNING #2 - Please make sure that you back up any data that you have just to be sure. After the end of the entire process, your phone will be back to factory settings and you will need to re-setup any customisations, and put back any media files you use, AND install any apps you use.

WARNING #3 - Just to be safe, and to make sure that your battery stats isn't messed up, make sure that you fully charge your phone first before continuing with this guide.

DISCLAIMER - As with anything regarding XDA and tinkering with your phone, you may void your warranty doing this. I cannot be 100% sure that your phone will not be bricked by this (I've been using the guides by XDA'ers over the years and have yet to brick a phone. Well I did brick my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 once, but I was able to recover it!). Proceed at your own discretion.

THE GUIDE

1. Download all the necessary files. I have taken the liberty of gathering all the files you will need in one archive. Click on any of the following download links to grab it.

2. UnRAR the archive to "C:". A warning may show up based on your security settings, just say "Yes" to this.

3. Install the necessary drivers and programs. Start with "MotorolaEndUserDrivers_5.1.0x64.msi". Then install "RSDLite5.3.1.msi".

a. Turn off your phone.

c. Put the battery back in, then press and hold "Power Button + Volume Up" until it acknowledges RSD.

g. Locate the "intl-fix-try1.sbf" file. This should be located in "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Select that.

h. Connect your phone to the computer. Ensure that all the drivers are installed before proceeding.

i. RSD Lite should recognize your phone and say something similar to “Model: SE Flash Olympus” and the status should read as “Connected…

j. Press the “Start” button. This may take a few moments. My phone rebooted and completed starting up before the timer in RSD Lite reached 100%! But I did not disconnect the phone just to be sure.

l. In the command prompt window, type in "cd\MotorolaMB860toCM7". This will change your working folder to that of where the files are.

m. Turn off your phone. After making sure it's turned off, press "Power Button + Volume Down" until you see "Fastboot" on the phone's screen.

o. Connect your phone back to the computer via USB. Again, ensure that any driver installation prompts are finished before proceeding.

r. Type "fastboot oem unlock *****". Where ***** will be your "Unique Device ID".

a. Turn off your phone. Then boot into "fastboot". This is done by pressing "Power Button + Volume Down" when turning on your phone.

b. When you see "Fastboot" on the phone's screen, press "Volume Up" to select it.

c. Connect your phone to your computer. Again ensure any prompts are finished before proceeding.

d. Your command prompt should still be open, and your working directory should still be "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Now type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img".

f. Your phone will now reboot, and you have successfully installed CWM Recovery.​

b. Turn on your phone, and after the phone completely boots up, connect it to your computer. You should use Mass Storage as the connection option in the phone.

c. Copy the files "Ba2tF.zip" and "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip" into the phone's internal memory.

f. Press "Volume Down" several times until you see "Android Recovery". Then press "Volume Up". Your phone should say "Entering Android Recovery Mode".

g. Using the volume keys for movement (Up & Down) and the power button for selection, choose "install zip from sdcard".

i. You might see a lot of folders and files here. You will need to select "Ba2tF.zip".

k. After it completes the installation, you will need to run the "wipe data/factory reset" command in CWM Recovery. Follow the prompts to complete this.

l. After that, you will need to run the "wipe cache partition" command in CWM Recovery. Again, follow the prompts to complete this.

7. Due to an arrangement (more like a request) from Google, the Cyanogen Mod 7 release does not contain any Google Apps. To install the necessary Google Apps:

a. Turn off the phone.

c. Press "Volume Down" several times until you see "Android Recovery". Then press "Volume Up". Your phone should say "Entering Android Recovery Mode".

d. Using the volume keys for movement (Up & Down) and the power button for selection, choose "install zip from sdcard".

f. You might see a lot of folders and files here. You will need to select "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip".

g. After which, it will ask you to confirm. Select "Yes - Install gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip".

8. That is it! That's the whole process I believe. Can easily be done in 30 minutes, but I would recommend alotting an hour to this project just to be safe.

I have found that once going on to Cyanogen Mod 7, it would be very hard, nay, would be insane for me to go back to the Stock ROM (or any other ROM for that matter!). I personally think that all this hard work is worth it. Bottom line, I appreciate what my phone is and has to offer thanks to the Cyanogen Mod team (specifically the Atrix-Dev-Team!).

Most importantly, donations to the Atrix-Dev-Team (http://code.google.com/p/atrix-dev-team/) will be most appreciated (I'm not a part of them but I support what they do, hey). They do a fantastic job and giving them some beer money is the least we can do to show our appreciation.

Last and not the least, this guide is a combination of all the other guides that I have had to read and peruse in order for me to get my phone on to CM7. All I did was get the necessary important information that was useful to me, but the credit of the actual content and the guides go to the following:

* In case you were wondering what "preinstall.img" is, well according to this thread, it should help with ROOTing your phone. I haven't done so, haven't used it, but I've attached it for your convenience should you feel extra adventurous.

I needed to be in the fastboot directory to execute the fastboot commands using moto-fastboot [command].

Also needed to copy the recovery image to the fastboot directory.

Otherwise, easy to complete in around 30 minutes as you say.

Thanks very much,

Jim

lovfors

Oct 7, 2010
Awesome guide!
But one question, "cd\MotorolaMB860toCM7" would that work? Wouldn't you need to wright "cd C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7" (assuming everything is extracted to C:)

turl1

May 2, 2011
Just a quick note so nobody bricks by mistake, remember to use the correct pudding for your kind of phone (international or AT&T)!

gunbolt

Jul 12, 2011
Campinas
What Doesn’t Work:
•Fingerprint sensor - Work in progress (not native to CM)
•Webtop - Work in progress (not native to CM)

OK I see now.

Thks

The.Opethian

Nov 9, 2008
London
www.opethian.com
If its any consolation, the lockscreens for CM7 are more than capable. Having big fingers, the fingerprint scanner only worked 60% of the time for me. Still, here's to hoping it gets fully implemented.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

LivingChampion

Jul 1, 2011
The fingerprint scanner isn't about finger size, it's more about positioning and timing. I went from unlocking at a 70% rate to a 100% by just knowing how to position my fingers and sliding slowly, but not too slow. Unlocking in 1-1.5 second(s) sure beats typing the pin or having a unsecured phone.

I flashed to a GB ROM until CM7 gets it. CM7 has some sensitivity problems for me (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1331631) and it also cannot play HD flash yet. Don't get me wrong, I love what the devs are doing for CM7 and I support them all the way, but I just can't find myself to use it as my daily ROM until the small things (big for me) are patched out. Other than the problems mentioned, it is the best, it gives AMAZING battery life. About double what the GB ROMs give us, which is great. But I am willing to sacrifice charging every 1.5 days instead of 3 for Fingerprint and HD Flash.

iammodo

Mar 12, 2008
hell
Thanks for this guide, Will make my wife very happy.

She got the Atrix from t-mobile uk yesterday and hated it.
Her galaxy s cm7 was faster and my defy cm7 kept with up with it.

lets hope cm7 does it normal job and matches amazing hardware with amazing software.

zx6rexx

Nov 11, 2011
Hey I need some help! I rooted my phone, unlocked bootloader and installed CWM as per in instructions in the noobs guide sticky and now have been trying to install CM7.
When it goes into the recovery screen I tried to install the cm7 zip file from the internal storage and it keeps giving me a installation aborted error:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Does anyone know how to get around this or what I am doing wrong??
I know you guys hate noobs and everything but this is starting to piss me off and I could use some help

ajnakata

Nov 10, 2011
i cant get to this step:

my computer cannot detect my atrix having storage space.

so the only way i can install the cm7 rom is to "install from external sd card"

although it was successful, i got the error message during the installation, "error mounting /emmc"

i dont know if this error related to the following issue. i can only detect 1.97gb internal storage in the setting and the rest of the storage is missing!!

someone got the same problem and figured out the solution?

poopler123

Apr 17, 2011
CMD problem D:

d. Your command prompt should still be open, and your working directory should still be "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\fastboot\". Now type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img".

f. Your phone will now reboot, and you have successfully installed CWM Recovery.

For part d i got into C:\motorolamb860\fastboot but when i try to enter fastboot flash recovery recovery.img it says "Fastboot" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Im pretty sure i followed the instructions dead on >.> i don't know why i cant flash recovery ~_~ help please

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After reading several threads of where to go and how to do it, and being able to successfully install CM7 after going through all those threads, I took it upon myself that if I was ever successful in getting it on my device (Motorola Atrix MB860, locked to T-Mobile UK), I'd share my experience and hopefully create a how-to in the process. I am hoping this guide will be useful to many others.

Please be advised that this is the completed version of this simple guide, the actual process involved me having to back track and read several threads, then re-read some more other threads just to make sure I did the proper thing.

THE GUIDE

a. Turn off your phone.

g. Locate the "intl-fix-try1.sbf" file. This should be located in "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Select that. For USA AT&T users please refer to this link to download the correct SBF file.

l. In the command prompt window, enter in "C:" first to make sure you're in the right drive, then execute "cd C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\fastboot\" to go to the right folder. This will change your working folder to that of where the files are (well, a subfolder of the main folder, you should be at the fastboot working folder, I won't say folder again... D'OH!).

a. Turn off the phone.

Gonna throw this guide in the General section. It's not development, so it doesn't belong here.
    NOTE: This guide can also work on unlocked phones.

After reading several threads of where to go and how to do it, and being able to successfully install CM7 after going through all those threads, I took it upon myself that if I was ever successful in getting it on my device (Motorola Atrix MB860, locked to T-Mobile UK), I'd share my experience and hopefully create a how-to in the process that I am hoping will be useful to others.

Please be advised that this is the completed version of this simple guide, my actual process involved me having to back track and read several threads, then re-read some more other threads just to make sure I did the proper thing.

THE GUIDE

a. Turn off your phone.

g. Locate the "intl-fix-try1.sbf" file. This should be located in "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Select that.

l. In the command prompt window, type in "cd\MotorolaMB860toCM7". This will change your working folder to that of where the files are.

d. Your command prompt should still be open, and your working directory should still be "C:\MotorolaMB860toCM7\". Now type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img".

a. Turn off the phone.

I needed to be in the fastboot directory to execute the fastboot commands using moto-fastboot [command].

Also needed to copy the recovery image to the fastboot directory.

Otherwise, easy to complete in around 30 minutes as you say.

Thanks very much,

Jim
    Good job figuring it out and writing an in detail guide, I am sure many people will find it useful ....
    BUT
    .... the procedures of installing CM7 on network locked and network unlocked phones are exactly the same.

So, existing guides would do the job just fine, disregarding if the phone is sim locked or not.
    I am unfamiliar with that bootloader. I recommend looking through the other forums to check on how to switch to CWM Recovery. We don't want to mess up your phone now!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix MB860 using Tapatalk.