Samsung Focus On Straight Talk w/ Working MMS

Search This thread
Sep 11, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check out your guide for tethering, that is one of the features I was going to miss the most moving from Android.

DaveHavok

Feb 25, 2011
Success on HTC Titan 2?

Will this method work on phones other than Samsung?

I've got a new HTC Titan 2 on Net10 and was curious if this method would work for my phone or is it scripted to be specific to Samsung only?

Thank You

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Will this method work on phones other than Samsung?

I've got a new HTC Titan 2 on Net10 and was curious if this method would work for my phone or is it scripted to be specific to Samsung only?

Thank You
The windowbreak procedure is Samsung-specific. You're going to have to check the HTC forums to see if there's any guides for your model. Long story short, you may need to dev unlock before you can do anything else if your model doesn't have any built-in provisioning capabilities.

Sep 11, 2010
Michigan
IIRC, HTC has an App for setting your MMS settings, so you probably don't need to go through all this rigamaroll - at least thats what I remember from digging around forums trying to figure out my LG.

DaveHavok

Feb 25, 2011
IIRC, HTC has an App for setting your MMS settings, so you probably don't need to go through all this rigamaroll - at least thats what I remember from digging around forums trying to figure out my LG.

Unfortunately, the HTC Connection Setup App has not been updated for their newer HTC phones like the Titan 2. Pretty awesome of them huh :)

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Does it need to be? It should work on the Gen2 HTC phones just like on the Gen1 phones. Only Samsung thought it would be a good idea to change the OEM drivers between generations; I have seen no indication that HTC did so. I haven't checked on a Titan 2 though, yet.

turbulent28

Mar 2, 2010
4g Speeds?

Ive managed to get my samsung focus S with working MMS on ST. Ive notice my phone says 4g At the top. Is this possible? I read somewhere 3g is the highest speed ST offers.

I ask because Ive noticed i only get 2 bars (signal) at home...even though coverage map is lit up in lime green

turbulent28

Mar 2, 2010
Straight Talk is up to H+ (faux G)

Hi,

Yes, Straight Talk supports 3G speed. We have not set any limit to data access. As long as you will follow the rules stated under the Terms and Condtions, the data service will not be disconnected.

Thank you!

Stephanie_ST

Okay this is a response from a rep on the straight talk forum (re: 3g/4g and data caps)

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
Hey guys, thanks for all the positive replies. I've let go of my Focus and Omnia7 for a Quantum (can't deal with the virtual keyboard) so I'm not going to be able to really answer any new questions. Gonna try getting MMS and Internet Sharing on that device as well (I'm pig-headed that way) with Straight Talk. Be watching the Quantum boards within the next week or so to see if I succeed or rue the day I let go of the Focus. Peace, love and soul.

jojo12411

May 26, 2012
Sweet heck yea thanks a bunch for in instructions for the focus. :D I know im a noob but after reading and fallowing along with the instructions i got my LG Quantum to work on ST without a hitch. Only hard part was finding were the .XML files were located lol.
To do it on the quantum its all the same except for part 2 and part 9.
In part 2 you dont have to go to the site on your phone since you can developer unlock it and keep it from re-locking just by using the MFG menu. Theres step-by-step instructions for doing so. steps 3-8 and step 1 are the same.
In step 9 you still go to the same Email Attachments folder to get to the xml to cut and move. BUT you dont move it to a provxml folder and you dont need to create one at all. You cut the .xml and then go to Explorer/Windows. It will take a min to load and then when you scrol down you will see all the xml files that the phone has. Thats were you paste the xml you cut from the attachents folder. Then back out compleatly go to the MFG menu/engineer menu/other settings/set network profile. In the MCC put 310 and if everthing is all good you should see the xml file you pasted recently for ST. I did it to mine and my friends phone and both times it worked flawlessly.
Sorry if anything seams our of place or not to descriptive.
THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERTHING IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!!:D

AlgorithmX

Sep 4, 2010
BFE
Net 10

Thanks for the info Fatclue!

I was able to add one more step and get MMS working using a Net10 sim.
Follow all steps from the OP substituting the Straight Talk XML with the Net10 XML attached below, but stop after #9. Before doing #10 follow all of the steps here to enable "Auto Configure Sim Setting" then finish with step #10 from the OP

My Focus is now perfect at half the price. :D

Mega Props to Fatclue, sandrobber and BigWaveMx

You guys rock!

Attachments

• Net10.zip
    684 bytes · Views: 115

riverzedge

Jun 13, 2012
airfire mobile

I've tried to change the net10 xml to work with airfire mobile but can't get it to work. Has anyone made a file that would work with my samsung focus on airfire mobile? It's located in Wisconsin.

I am now able to receive mms messages but still am unable to send them. If you want to look at the file and see what I may have done wrong.

This is the info I got from airfire:
Name: AirFire, APN: internet.air.net, MMSC: mms.airfiremobile.com/+1(your 10 digit number), MCC: 310, MNC: 640 and the rest is blank.

*It doesn't work at all if I put my phone number like it says above.

Last edited:

ziffler

Aug 4, 2011
ok need some help no mms

ok did the straight talk unlock have all the files ran it, however ive noticed now wait let me back up i have a samsung focus 1.3 on it not sure if its a S ok sorry, have data plan unlimited text ect. however ive noticed lately i can not recieve pictures from anyone it says click mdeia content i do nothing happens so help greatly appreciated.

turbulent28

Mar 2, 2010
ok did the straight talk unlock have all the files ran it, however ive noticed now wait let me back up i have a samsung focus 1.3 on it not sure if its a S ok sorry, have data plan unlimited text ect. however ive noticed lately i can not recieve pictures from anyone it says click mdeia content i do nothing happens so help greatly appreciated.

do you have the wireless managger app?

IF not, get it and check you APN settings. When you load/run the straight talk xml file thats linked in the first post, all the setting should automatically change for you.

Maybe you need to run it again.

Also,

Make sure you have signal stregnth

rorrr

Jul 28, 2010
big thanks

Just to be clear, for those who don't use MMS, fatclue's instructions will also enable the use of Bing's built-in services--Search, Maps, Local Scout etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a reprint of a working solution I posted on WPCentral.com

Okay, I'm going to try to list the steps to get internet sharing and MMS working with Straight Talk, Please bear with me since I've only been playing with WP7 for a couple of weeks, I'm a webOS refugee and I seek asylum within the Windows world. A couple of props need to be handed out first. To Heathcliff74 at XDA for the terrific WP7 Root Tool and to the wonderful folks at the Windowbreak project for the interop unlock that allows us to do these fine things in Mango. Please note that the WindowBreak only works on Samsung devices. If you have an LG Quantum you can unlock by reg edit without having to do any additional downloads, hacking, etc. Last, but not least, the folks at MS for their Windows Phone SDK 7.1 which allows us to side-load XAP's.

1. Get the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 if you don't already have it. It's a large DL so be patient. The prog you will need to run from here is the "Application Deployment" to side-load the XAP's you will be using.
    2. Go to WindowBreak by WindowsPhoneHacker.com ON YOUR DEVICE!! Click on the "windowbreak me" link and follow the instructions. Trust me, it's quick and works perfectly.
    3. By now you should have an unlocked device and internet sharing available to you. If MMS is not a big deal to you, quit now and forever hold your peace. If you need it, continue with the sideshow.
    4. Fire up Zune and make sure you sync.
    5. Now the fun begins, go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool from Heathcliff74 from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...4&d=1325517854
    6. If you get an error message that your device is pin-locked, go to your phone's app list and hit "interop unlock" because Zune will re-lock your phone at every sync.
    7. Now that you have WP7 Root Tools installed, you will notice that you have a file explorer tab. This will become your best friend.
    8. Extract the Straight Talk XML from the zip file below and email it to your phone. Tap on the download and save.
    9. In the file explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root directory. If the folder is not there, click on the "+" icon at the bottom and create a provxml folder. There should be some XML's already in there that you would have seen when you were doing the windowbreak earlier. Another user told me that he didn't have the provxml folder so I instructed him to find the folders which have these existing XML's. They have names like "Gumi Test Bed, Suwon 2G Test Bed" and so forth.
    10. Now go to diagnostic (##634#) and enter *#9908# to get to the GPRS settings. This is the same step you had to do during the windowbreak part of this program except now you will select the "StraightTalk" XML you put in at step 9. Save, reboot and Voila! You should have working data and MMS. Send a test message to another phone and reply with another MMS to make sure you're receiving.

Please note that I've recited these steps from my diminished memory of close to 50 years old and I may have forgotten a step. The most important things to consider are that you have to unlock with windowbreak and you have to get that Straight Talk XML in the proper folder. Once you can get step 10 out of the way you're golden. I won't ask for PayPal donations because others have done the leg work, all I've done is consolidate some files and info and put them together. For that, a simple "Thank You" is all I need. God bless you and God bless our troops overseas. :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just wanted to revise by saying that this same procedure has netted me the same results with a Euro-version Omnia 7. Of note to those who have this wonderful piece of hardware, there are some extra settings that need to be played with for the optimal experience. The Omnia 7 is a tri-band phone for its 3G data. I was pissed beyond belief when I first got the phone and noticed a T-Mobile splash screen and only EDGE speeds. Luckily, there is a key in engineering mode that enables "all WCDMA" and Bam!! I have a beautiful 3G+ icon sitting on my header bar.

After you're in the diagnosis app (##634#) punch in *#2263# to get you to "Test Mode" for band preference. Select option "2" and on the next screen select option "6" for "WCDMA ALL" and exit. That's it! I wish it were more complicated than that.
    Just Tryin' To Help

Simple. There is a mountain of posts from people who hadn't figured out how to get MMS and/or internet sharing on their Focus phones. I stumbled upon a solution and decided to share it with all who could use it. I don't personally know anybody who would use this nor am I in it for the money or the glory. It's the least I could do since Heathcliff74 and others are the ones who have made the tools to accomplish this. Some of us don't bother to stream video or music, but I'm sure there are far more of us who send pictures to their friends and family or need to send/receive data on their tablets when away from a hotspot. In the end I did it out of a sense of community, and that's what XDA is, a community. Peace, love and soul.
    The xml should be in Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments as an xml file. From there you cut & paste to the provxml folder in root. Read step 9 carefully and start all over again if you have to. Get up, walk away and have a cup of coffee if you have to. As I mentioned, I'm a noob to this OS as well so don't feel bad. I nearly gave myself kidney stones and lung cancer from all the times I had to walk away for coffee and a smoke. Hang in there, a few more technically savvy people than myself have had difficulty but made it work.
    Thanks for this tutorial. But I'm having some problems with downloading the attachment. I'm on clean rom(mango 1.3) when pressing the .xlm file (attachment) it says downloading but it opens the file on the browser and when i go to the root tool i see the email attachment file but it's empty. Please can somebody help.
    You're supposed to let it download and open on the browser. Once it has completely loaded on the browser you can find it in the email attachments folder in volatile. Patience is king when messing with these things.
    I don't think it was the underscore (though that might be part of it, who knows...) - I originally just renamed your Focus PROV file to match the format of the others on my Quantum (including an underscore) and as-is it didn't work for the Quantum - I had to pull the 310_410_ATT_ENG xml off the device, and copy your values into it when appropriate. There were some differences in flags set that were probably device-specific. There also seems to be some redundant code in the Quantum prov that must be necessary.

I just bought a Dell Venue Pro for myself - when I switch from Sprint to Straight Talk in a few weeks I get to start this whole process over again! From what I read there's a Dell App that will let me set the MMS settings though. Much easier switch than the Samsung and LG devices.

Now that you can just buy Straight Talk SIM's off the website, I can't believe more people don't make this switch. Especially AT&T customers - they already have a working phone, and Straight Talk will give them unlimited 3G for less half the contract price with no caps or throttling. No 4G I guess, but that has never been available on any carrier in my area so I don't mind. Over the course of 1 year I am going to save $500, and that includes the price of buying a new phone and paying an ETF.
    I have a DVP now as well. Getting MMS is such a breeze. Get the EM (##634#) and open the bottom option (MMS Settings). From there you'll just enter the appropriate settings (apn - att.mvno, Name - Straight Talk MMS, apn - att.mvno, MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com, MMS proxy - 66.209.11.33, port - 80). Keep "PAP" checked for both sets of settings and hit "apply". You're done! Don't forget to enter the correct apn in settings>cellular>add apn first and reboot. If you need a guide for USB tethering, I have one in the Dell Venue Pro section here. Good luck!