[Test][Kernel] -fox 2.6.27 kernel for RHOD Only!

Search This thread

Starfox

Jun 1, 2007
I pulled the latest kernel tarball, fixed and tweaked a few things, then compiled it on my Rhodium. Although it works well on my Rhodium, I cannot guarantee that it will work on yours. In addition, it is guaranteed NOT to work on any other since I disabled support for it in .config.

You can install this kernel just like the one you would off the autobuild. The kernel is named -fox-YYDDMM where the date is when I pulled the tarball. While suggestions and feature request are welcome, it takes me ~2.5hr to go through one compile, so don't expect a new build very often.

You need the patched haret.exe as well as an additional line in startup.txt to boot this kernel. Instructions for that can be found at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14519408&postcount=1.

Latest (8/20) at http://db.tt/OeRyLYu

Changelog:

8/20 http://db.tt/OeRyLYu
microp: Upstream version of LED patch from Detule. Please note the requirement of updated lights.msm7k.so still applies.

8/16 http://db.tt/3UWBs3y
microp: Updated microp LED patch from Detule, now with more blinkenlights goodness (and yes, it even blinks). In order to use this, however, you need an updated liblights from http://db.tt/ZUjymT9. The file should be bind-mounted on startup in your froyo.user.conf, ie: mount --bind /sdcard/lights.msm7k.so /system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so

8/15
microp: Proposed LED patch from Detule, mailing list has instruction on how to play with the blinkenlights.
.config:
Enabled IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT as a module because it's needed for certain app.
Started from clean source to get rid of any residuals.

8/11
Compcache: Included 0.5.4, patched kernel to support the swap notify
clock-wince: Added a debug output that shows freq requested, closest set, and the calc, without needing clock_wince.debug_mask=15.
.config notes:
LZOCOMPRESS/DECOMPRESS is built-in to the kernel. Therefore if you want compcache, you just need to insmod xvmalloc.ko and ramzswap.ko.

8/9
Upstream: htc_headset_microp fix
acpuclock: Changed turbo mode+20mhz only when acpuclock.force_turbo=2 is set. Also, overclock by 20mhz for any bus speed >100MHz.
modules: Use strip --strip-unneeded.

8/6
acpuclock: Change turbo mode t->axiclk_khz from 160000 to 180000. AXI clock control the bus freq, and upping it should make overall performance better.
clock-wince: Add supposed support for 48Mhz SD clock from .35. HOWEVER the kernel claims calc_freq is 61.44Mhz according to clock_wince.debug_mask=15. You also need to add msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 in order to use this clock anyway.
proc_comm_wince: Fix long-standing issue with msm_proc_comm_wince_pending_ints & DEX_INT_VBUS check which clobbered pending_int. You should no longer have a SoD during transition changes to/from suspending while inserting/removing the USB cable.
microp-k*: Got rid of the printk spam of backlight/keyled status changes.
.config changes:
1) Change default I/O scheduler to deadline. Our kernel does not do well with noop.
2) Change default AMSS firmware interface to 6125 which is what I have on my RHOD400. You can check yours (which is in the modem) by running dmesg | grep AMSS.
3) Change kernel default sleep_mode from CONFIG_MSM7X00A_SLEEP_MODE_POWER_COLLAPSE_SUSPEND to POWER_COLLAPSE. This is usually overridden but makes pm.sleep_mode=1 unnecessary.
4) Change CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_ONDEMAND_MIN from 128MHz to 112Mhz. This meant that the kernel never used the 112MHz clock because it was below the ondemand minimum. No-frills CPU can confirm this.
5) arm6k support enabled. Not sure if it makes a difference but the kernel hasn't complained.
6) Conservative and Powersave governor enabled.
7) CONFIG_INPUT_TABLET disabled, nothing was enabled in there anyway and ours uses TOUCHSCREEN.
8) CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS_WCEIS enabled, supposedly makes Windows think it's dealing with a NDIS ICS device.
9) Enabled ext4 and disabled yaffs2. Ted T'so backported fixes for ext4 for .27 release. This contains all the patches available on his ext4 git for the 2.6.27 kernel, but still should be considered EXPERIMENTAL.

GPL availability notice:
kernel source as available from http://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm/commits/htc-msm-2.6.27
compcache module+patch from http://code.google.com/p/compcache/downloads/detail?name=compcache-0.5.4.tar.gz
.config used to compile available from within /proc/config.gz
Minor patches to the kernel source can be made against the git tree upon request. Please PM me if you are in need of that.

-- Starfox

Last edited:

großa

Sep 22, 2009
Hmm haret freezes with your kernel on my rhod100_de.
(pm.sleep_mode=1 is deleted in startup.txt / no difference with pm.sleep_mode=1 not deleted)

Last edited:

Starfox

Jun 1, 2007
Put sleep_mode back, and if it still doesn't boot, it's possible that the axi bus is too high. I'm looking to make it a kernel parameter in the next compile.

-- Starfox

Reactions: großa

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
So far so good.

Couple of things - first, it seems you didn't strip the modules...? There's no way they should be 7+mb ;).

Second, of all the things you've put in this kernel, one really stood out to me:

Starfox said:
proc_comm_wince: Fix long-standing issue with msm_proc_comm_wince_pending_ints & DEX_INT_VBUS check which clobbered pending_int. You should no longer have a SoD during transition changes to/from suspending while inserting/removing the USB cable.

If that's true ^^ (and works) why not submit a patch to mainline? Or is this your testbed for patch submission? :D

Good work, I'll see what I can make blow up. Only just booted... doesn't seem faster, but it's still settling methinks.

Starfox

Jun 1, 2007
Please use the posted kernel/modules combo from the OP. I support 2 most recent revisions.

-- Starfox

Last edited:

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
i tried running this. it gets stuck at the HaRET: Booting Linux Dialogue in WinMo. am i suppossed to make any changes to startup.txt because i tried adding msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 to startup.txt and am getting the same response. is there anything I am suppossed to be doing?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
i tried running this. it gets stuck at the HaRET: Booting Linux Dialogue in WinMo. am i suppossed to make any changes to startup.txt because i tried adding msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 to startup.txt and am getting the same response. is there anything I am suppossed to be doing?

What device, build?

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
Rhod400, frx07

maybe a sample of the startup.txt would be appreciated too

also where am i suppossed to put msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 maybe im putting it in the wrong spot?

Last edited:

odz

Feb 13, 2007
Running 8/6 here on rhod400. It seems just a tad bit faster/smoother.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Rhod400, frx07

maybe a sample of the startup.txt would be appreciated too

also where am i suppossed to put msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 maybe im putting it in the wrong spot?

Did you just assume where the msmsdcc command goes? lol.

It goes in the "cmdline" between the quotes - where pm.sleep_mode is, etc. Make sure there's at least one space between each entry.

I'd imagine that's your issue, as I have the same phone/build and it works great for me.

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
Did you just assume where the msmsdcc command goes? lol.

It goes in the "cmdline" between the quotes - where pm.sleep_mode is, etc. Make sure there's at least one space between each entry.

I'd imagine that's your issue, as I have the same phone/build and it works great for me.

odd, still no dice for me? what does your startup look like in general?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
odd, still no dice for me? what does your startup look like in general?

Did you rename the kernel? Have you updated the kernel before...?

My startup isn't anything special, just FRX07 with some additions for me (rel_path, OC, msmsdcc, no_partitions...)

Code:
set ramsize 0x10000000
set ramaddr 0x10000000
set mtype 2292
set KERNEL zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
set initrd_offset 0x00a00000
set cmdline "msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=714000 lcd.density=240 msmvkeyb_toggle=off gsensor_axis=2,1,3 pm.sleep_mode=1 physkeyboard=rhod400 rel_path=Androids/Stock07 no_partitions"
boot

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
i didnt have set initrd_offset 0x00a00000. i changed it, booting as we speak.

Shouldn't need it for .27... I forgot to mention that one tho, good catch. That is for .35/.39/3.0... .27 should work without it (and you'll need a new version of HaRET to use .35/.39/3.0 with that initrd_offset...)

Starfox

Jun 1, 2007

STOP.

If you are not getting past the boot scroll, then your phone cannot take the changes I made.

Again, let me make this clear. I do not guarantee that your phone will work with this kernel. I also can guarantee you that no mount of fiddling with startup.txt will change the fact that your phone will not boot.

You can try the updated zImage several post past the OP which should allow you to boot. Do not go blindly changing stuff in startup.txt. If you do not know what it does, ASK first.

-- Starfox

großa

Sep 22, 2009
The new zImage doesn't work for me either.
So my phone can't handle your kernel :eek:
Perhaps the AMSS firmware or the arm6k?

mgross029

Feb 15, 2007
No Joy with Rhod500

Just tried this on my Rhod500 and I get a couple of Vibs from phone when Haret is launched, but the screen won't even re-paint... Just thought I would let everyone know...
Thanks...

Starfox

Jun 1, 2007
If you need to know the AMSS version, it is shown during the HTC splash screen as [bunch of letters]-6125 or something very similar. From what I see the GSM users are having most of the issues, so it probaby is AMSS related.

-- Starfox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lcd.density=240

I was parsing through my dmesg file and saw this error.

Unknown boot option `lcd.density=240': ignoring

After doing some searching I found a thread over at PPCGreeks for the Blackstone which used lcd_res instead of lcd.density... After adjusting the item on my set cmdline in startup.txt to lcd_res=240 I now notice a little more real estate on my display... I actually get an additional icon on my launcher at the bottom of the screen and the text on my display is a little different now.

I have posted some screen shots to show the difference.

Also, not sure if it's the placebo effect or not but I seem to get better response out to the touch screen.
    I pulled the latest kernel tarball, fixed and tweaked a few things, then compiled it on my Rhodium. Although it works well on my Rhodium, I cannot guarantee that it will work on yours. In addition, it is guaranteed NOT to work on any other since I disabled support for it in .config.

You can install this kernel just like the one you would off the autobuild. The kernel is named -fox-YYDDMM where the date is when I pulled the tarball. While suggestions and feature request are welcome, it takes me ~2.5hr to go through one compile, so don't expect a new build very often.

You need the patched haret.exe as well as an additional line in startup.txt to boot this kernel. Instructions for that can be found at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14519408&postcount=1.

Latest (8/20) at http://db.tt/OeRyLYu

Changelog:

8/20 http://db.tt/OeRyLYu
    microp: Upstream version of LED patch from Detule. Please note the requirement of updated lights.msm7k.so still applies.

8/16 http://db.tt/3UWBs3y
    microp: Updated microp LED patch from Detule, now with more blinkenlights goodness (and yes, it even blinks). In order to use this, however, you need an updated liblights from http://db.tt/ZUjymT9. The file should be bind-mounted on startup in your froyo.user.conf, ie: mount --bind /sdcard/lights.msm7k.so /system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so

8/15
    microp: Proposed LED patch from Detule, mailing list has instruction on how to play with the blinkenlights.
    .config:
    Enabled IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT as a module because it's needed for certain app.
    Started from clean source to get rid of any residuals.

8/11
    Compcache: Included 0.5.4, patched kernel to support the swap notify
    clock-wince: Added a debug output that shows freq requested, closest set, and the calc, without needing clock_wince.debug_mask=15.
    .config notes:
    LZOCOMPRESS/DECOMPRESS is built-in to the kernel. Therefore if you want compcache, you just need to insmod xvmalloc.ko and ramzswap.ko.

8/9
    Upstream: htc_headset_microp fix
    acpuclock: Changed turbo mode+20mhz only when acpuclock.force_turbo=2 is set. Also, overclock by 20mhz for any bus speed >100MHz.
    modules: Use strip --strip-unneeded.

8/6
    acpuclock: Change turbo mode t->axiclk_khz from 160000 to 180000. AXI clock control the bus freq, and upping it should make overall performance better.
    clock-wince: Add supposed support for 48Mhz SD clock from .35. HOWEVER the kernel claims calc_freq is 61.44Mhz according to clock_wince.debug_mask=15. You also need to add msmsdcc_fmax=48000000 in order to use this clock anyway.
    microp-k*: Got rid of the printk spam of backlight/keyled status changes.
    .config changes:
    1) Change default I/O scheduler to deadline. Our kernel does not do well with noop.
    2) Change default AMSS firmware interface to 6125 which is what I have on my RHOD400. You can check yours (which is in the modem) by running dmesg | grep AMSS.
    3) Change kernel default sleep_mode from CONFIG_MSM7X00A_SLEEP_MODE_POWER_COLLAPSE_SUSPEND to POWER_COLLAPSE. This is usually overridden but makes pm.sleep_mode=1 unnecessary.
    4) Change CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_ONDEMAND_MIN from 128MHz to 112Mhz. This meant that the kernel never used the 112MHz clock because it was below the ondemand minimum. No-frills CPU can confirm this.
    5) arm6k support enabled. Not sure if it makes a difference but the kernel hasn't complained.
    6) Conservative and Powersave governor enabled.
    7) CONFIG_INPUT_TABLET disabled, nothing was enabled in there anyway and ours uses TOUCHSCREEN.
    8) CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS_WCEIS enabled, supposedly makes Windows think it's dealing with a NDIS ICS device.
    9) Enabled ext4 and disabled yaffs2. Ted T'so backported fixes for ext4 for .27 release. This contains all the patches available on his ext4 git for the 2.6.27 kernel, but still should be considered EXPERIMENTAL.

GPL availability notice:
    kernel source as available from http://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm/commits/htc-msm-2.6.27
    compcache module+patch from http://code.google.com/p/compcache/downloads/detail?name=compcache-0.5.4.tar.gz
    .config used to compile available from within /proc/config.gz
    Minor patches to the kernel source can be made against the git tree upon request. Please PM me if you are in need of that.

-- Starfox
    The date is july 27th. I might not have mounted the lib correctly. Could you please check if the mount statement which Starfox has listed ,is complete.

It should be

mount --bind "path to downloaded lights.msm7k.so" /system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so

In my case, the "new" library is placed at the root of my sdcard so the command is

mount --bind /sdcard/lights.msm7k.so /system/lib/hw/lights.msm7k.so

When you've successfully loaded the library, the date should read August 16.
    Starfox,

I think I found the issue everyone is having - I went back to the 'old' HaRET and removed the initrd_offset command from my startup.txt, and your kernel no longer boots :/. I get the double-vibe, then it just hangs.

Edit - to test my theory, anyone that cannot boot try the directions here. Grab the new HaRET and add the initrd_offset to your startup.txt, per that post. Let us know how it goes.
    Starfox and Detule rule! Donation sent to starfox, anyone know where to donate to detule? I looked at his profiles here and at ppcgeeks and didn't see any links.

http://lists.xdandroid.com/pipermail/xdandroid-dev/2011-August/000371.html

instructions from mailing list for LED said:
    Attached is a microp-klt patch that:

1. Adds a green and amber led device in /sys/class/leds/ . Userland
    interacts with these either directly or via liblights.
    2. Adds a module parameter in /sys/module/microp_klt/parameters/debug_mask
    that controls the front LED regime: "2" default -> current regime amber
    awake/green sleeping; "1" -> amber awake/off sleeping; "0" -> no sleep debug
    LED pattern/engage userland notifications

Most of the work in this patch is based directly off of emwe's and Alex's
    work.

At first I wasn't sure what to make of that (where to add what), but I figured I take a guess at it and echoed the options to the listed location in the custom section of my user.conf. In the unlikely event anyone else here is as clueless as I was, I'm including the line to enable notifications and get rid of the sleep debug:

echo 0 > /sys/module/microp_klt/parameters/debug_mask

The led will flash orange while a call is incoming. If you miss the call and the phone turns off, solid green shows until you clear the notification. The tape I had over my led is gone, yay! :D Also, LEDs hack works for me to turn it off completely if for some reason you don't even want notifications or charge indication.

It's probably a good idea to boot the kernel with no switches right off the bat to ensure your device sleeps well before turning the debug off.