Skype is live!!!

Search This thread

Deano019S

Mar 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I've been waiting for this for ages!

Pretty solid app. A bit laggy on my HD7, but still great to have.

Can't wait to actually start using this, but wish I had a front facing camera on my HD7.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Just downloaded, going to test drive it later...but yeah, no FFC on the HD7 is a bummer.

Sent from The ACSyndicate Tower using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

abaksunovic

Jan 19, 2012
Installed this morning, a little laggy, cannot work in background (which is essential), no live tile, notifications add-ons are not getting through (smileys, links etc.)... Suppose these are beta illnesses...

abaksunovic

Jan 19, 2012
Beta, but sure long expected... Wouldn't hurt to have a bit more options in Settings... other then "sign automaticaly"..... Anyway, nice job and one thing that's been missing terribly!

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
Keyboard needs better integration. First letter or each message (sentence as well?) does not capitalize. Also, special characters (!, ?) do not revert back to qwerty after selected, as they would do in any other app.

pillsburydoughman

Nov 19, 2010
Surprised it's standalone. Logs in 10x faster than IM+ so that alone is worth it. I have no skype credits to test out the calling.

bencassie

Jan 31, 2007
Just tried skype to skype call from Titan and my ffc is completely black. tried messing around with settings but nothing....

abaksunovic

Jan 19, 2012
My chatt boxes are all empty, I can see boxes and who wrote something, but that "something" isn't in there... video call works with back camera on my Trophy (no front camera unfortunately)...

leftspeaker2000

Jul 27, 2011
Does not seem to work very well for me i am using a hd7, i know its not on the list of approved phones yet. For some reason no matter what i do it always has it on speaker phone.

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
On my htc 7 pro it works very very good. the call quality is very good. i used it over wifi. and call to an pc. the sound is better than it was pc-pc. i dont know how but it is better :) i tried the video call. and it works too. i have no FFC, but it uses the back camera which is 5mp and the picture is very good, not laggy, all the basic functions of skype are integrated, its a BETA release, so BE HAPPY with it! now i call for free from europe to canada, US, to the near east.

FreekWel

Dec 25, 2011
Wageningen
Doens't run in the background?

It seem the beta won't run in the background. That makes it a lousy call replacement app, as you'll need to coordinate with people when to open the app.

Also it lacks basic features like adding people to your contacts.

Erazor84

Apr 4, 2011
Vienna
With my Lumia 800 Skype work's perfect. On my LG Optimus 7 i can only use the external speaker. With my Omnia 7 the same problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seem the beta won't run in the background. That makes it a lousy call replacement app, as you'll need to coordinate with people when to open the app.

Also it lacks basic features like adding people to your contacts.

This is an OS limitation, WP7 apps can't run in the background nor can trigger a ringtone by push notification. Hopefully the Tango improves these APIs (but I have my doubts) otherwise Skype will need some creative native code to accomplish this (and to become a useful app).

The only way Skype can notify you when in the background is by sending a PN message (like whatsapp), this is far from ideal of course, but thats the platform and the decisions MS made. And clearly their own apps suffer from the limitations now.

How they will solve/bypass this problem I'm excited to know.

I've tested this app on a long call today (with video) on the Lumia 800 and it works amazing, call quality is great, the call did not drop (~10 min on 3g and ~20 min on wifi). Pretty amazing as Tango used to drop every 5 minutes for me.

So the app itself (although buggy) is working quite good, I'm pleasantly surprised with the stability while calling and the call quality. Good job!