Nexus 7 defects?

Where did you receive your defective Nexus 7 from?

• Google Play Store

Votes: 706 57.7%
  • GameStop

Votes: 77 6.3%
  • ebuyer

Votes: 61 5.0%
  • Staples

Votes: 140 11.4%
  • Office Depot

Votes: 71 5.8%
  • Sams Club

Votes: 40 3.3%
  • Adorama

Votes: 15 1.2%
  • Walmart

Votes: 92 7.5%
  • Best Buy

Votes: 56 4.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

AuxiliaryPie

Oct 28, 2010
For those who have returned theirs to Google, did you keep your charger? they never listed it specifically and i know with phone returns you keep it, but this is different. if anyone can answer that id be very grateful :)

EdWood110

Apr 27, 2011
New York
I must say am a bit surprised and shocked.
I did hear about screen-problems, the lifting, then I realized it is happening with mine as well...still not a biggie.

Then today, after nearly owning the N7 for 2 weeks, the screen started flickering and now it is gray and very bright, no colors at all...+ ghosting.

After a few minutes, the screen looks perfect again and all is normal, till you use a different app. Even during the boot process I got a gray screen.
Really strange, I think something overheated? My tab worked fine for nearly 2 weeks and now all of a sudden these problems.

Am sending it back to get a replacement. :(

Reactions: lin013190

dislplin01

Apr 10, 2011
my tablet creaks on the right side when i hold it or squeeze it its kinda annoying. I am thinking of returning it but if does on everyone elses then why take the time to send it back?????

PROlific666

Jun 23, 2012
Crestview
It doesn't do it on everyone else's. Mine is perfect with no screen lifting or creaking of any kind. The reason you see so many complaints of this is because 1. This is a defect thread and 2. Most people making post are one who are having problems with their device. If its creaking when you hold it a certain way then it is definitely defective. Unless you want to "just live with it" then I would suggest you send it in for a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

For those who have returned theirs to Google, did you keep your charger? they never listed it specifically and i know with phone returns you keep it, but this is different. if anyone can answer that id be very grateful :)

Mine is going back this week. I'm sending everything.

Pack the device and its in-box items in the original box. Include all items from your original shipment, including devices, accessories, packaging and documentation. But do not send us your additions, for instance your SIM card, a case or an extended battery and battery cover door.
Google Support - Preparing an item for return

jrpbulk

Jun 10, 2008
I returned everything I got and like I got it. Why risk them saying you didn't "meet" their return policy?

apurvaappu

Sep 27, 2011
Replacement Device is also defective

I got the replacement device and it has the loose screen problem...

I am gonna keep replacing unless I get the perfect product..

:fingers-crossed:

_JM_

Jul 28, 2012
Essex
Okay so I contacted Asus and they said that I should contact the shop that I got it from, which is Tesco Online.
however, would I still be able to get it replaced by google?

haloimplant

Aug 19, 2010
My screen is slightly raised but i was thinking it wasn't too bad, no creaking or anything.

Then I plug in some headphones and nothing from the right side...another pair same thing...sigh (yes I am pushing them in that last bit where it clicks)

I still might live with it for a few weeks until they get this mess sorted out.

lazaro17

Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
Okay thanks. The main issue with that is that i purchased it from the online store, so I dont know if i can take it to my local store. Whats worse is Tesco dont have an email customer help service:confused:

I would assume it doesn't matter if you bought from their site or their store the return policy would be the same. I know I've bought things before from best buy site and I've returned said things to an actual best buy store.

haloimplant

Aug 19, 2010
Has anyone else noticed their orientation sensor being off? After noticing some weirdness I checked with an app and it looks like it is about 4 and 6 degrees off, as in I need to tilt it 4 degrees left and 6 away from me for it to read zero.

If anyone doesn't think this is significant get a sensor test and see how far 6 degrees really is. I know there has been calibration in the past but I don't see people finding solutions for this with the galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

mine does this with the Nook Reading app when i turn the brightness down when reading in low light situations, doesn't bother me really though, and based on the amount of other defects people are having, ill count myself lucky that its all i have wrong.

Is anyone else able to reproduce the screen flicker issue?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

jonkrav

May 11, 2011
So I had my replacement delivered last week for backlight bleed issues, it wasnt massive bleed but I thought why keep something that is defective.

Well now my replacement one is showing even more signs of backlight bleed and one dead pixel to top it off.

I havent even had a chance to send back my first one yet as they did not include a postage label, so I will probably have 3 Nexus 7's. What a shambles.

frescagod

Jul 31, 2012
another defect that people aren't reporting on - interference in the headphone jack

when my tablet is plugged in and i'm listening to tunes or watching a movie with headphones, there is unbearable interference and buzzing. it seems to be dependent upon two things: the tablet being plugged in, and swiping around on the screen.

furthermore, if i just turn the screen off and continue listening to music, i get a constant high pitched sound coming through the headphones. it stops immediately if i turn the screen back on, and then the static and interference just continues on as i swipe on various screens. if i turn the volume up, the interference and static is just louder.

i get very, very mild static interference sounds through the headphones if the tablet is unplugged. also, if i plug the tablet into my computer's USB port, the static isn't as bad as when it is plugged in to an outlet.

does anyone else have this issue? i don't use the tablet while charging THAT often but it's an annoying enough problem that i would consider returning it if it was just an isolated issue. however, my screen is pretty much perfect, and i don't seem to have any of the other issues that others are reporting (knock on wood).

arby80

Nov 20, 2010
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 7
It doesn't do it on everyone else's. Mine is perfect with no screen lifting or creaking of any kind. The reason you see so many complaints of this is because 1. This is a defect thread and 2. Most people making post are one who are having problems with their device. If its creaking when you hold it a certain way then it is definitely defective. Unless you want to "just live with it" then I would suggest you send it in for a new one.

I have seen 3 (my 2 so far and the floor model at office max) that have the screen lift defect I am skeptical that there are any without it. But there are many people that say they have a perfect one. So there must be a dozen or so out there.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

I haven't checked do we get $25 when we sign on to the replacement Nexus 7's? We will be rich in terms of google play dollars.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a theory too, nothing in life is perfect, or pristine. Even the hottest super model gets a pimple on her ass from time to time, and I wouldn't ship her off just because of a blemish. No company makes a perfect product, and people, due to an irrational OCD with electronics want it 100% perfect, and as long as people are assembling these products, there will be imperfections. The sad part is, the vast majority of the things people return electronics for do not impact the use of the product, and are barely visable to the naked eye. We love to put everything under a microscope, though. Gotta have something to freak out about, I suppose.

Soooooo everyone should just be happy with their defective N7's because a product working 100% the way it is supposed to is too much to ask for?
    I pre-ordered mine from the Play Store on the 28th with the case. I have received no word or email or nothing yet on when/if mine is being shipped. Not a peep. Though it does bring a tiny sparkle to my eye to see all the people that bashed Google just because Gamestop was giving them out so early, only for so many of the GameStop ones to have issues thus far.

I hope mine is flawless. If it has lightbleed issues, Ill return it depending on how severe. If it has flickering issues, those wont bother me unless it is severe and happening with just about every page refresh etc. If mine has a little separation from the back of the device, I'll first try to push it back in place, if that doesn't work, I will throw my cover on there and see if that helps with the issue. If not and the squeaking becomes a nuissance from just normal use rather than being a very very occasional thing, I'd probably return it.

For me it all depends on the severity of the issue I may encounter if it is worth the trouble of having it replaced.
    But my original point: It is not unreasonable for every single person that ordered a Nexus 7 to have a completely defect-free device.
    So your "not everyone or everything is perfect!" argument is just flawed and invalid.
    My screen doesn't lift but I'm noticing a little creaking on the left side. It only happens really when I squeeze the tablet which I normally wouldn't do. Am I being picky thinking about returning it or should I be happy my screen is level and just live with it?

Take my advice. If everything else is working properly, keep it. It's not worth nitpicking over something like this and then getting another unit with worse problems. You'll regret it.
    Excellent device but mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen. (Portrait)
    After a few hours of use it's starting to pop if you press midway on the bezel.

The problem seemed to be getting worse today but after hearing it's just a clip (not glue) - I resorted to force.
    I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it has properly clicked back into place now.
    Smooth the side back into place then pinch it firmly with your thumb and forefinger in the middle of your 'rise'.
    (turn your screen off if you're squeamish - you will hear a loud click when it goes back in)

DEFINITELY FIXED :good:

WARNING: THIS CAN BREAK YOUR SCREEN

For clarity, I didn't have any dents in the bezel. Try to spread any pressure on the screen side. Pinch the bezel together, not the lcd panel.
    Your problem might be different to mine, so try this at your own risk.

pinch-bezel.jpg
    all those sold by the play store were recalled from their shipping hubs due to ASUS's defects. Hence the delay. When we receive our devices, they should be defect free.

Please stop making things up. People might start believing it.
    They may have had a flaky bunch initially, but my personal theory is that these defects are occurring because it's been so hot this summer (at least in the us). Just hear me out out on this one: they put your pristine N7 in the back of xyz shipping truck, which then promptly heats up to over 100 degrees in the summer sun. At that temp, the metal starts expanding, the glue softens, you get a timely bump in the road, and BAM you have a damaged device. That seems plausible, at least to me. Another thing to worry about, as my N7 is coming fro. CALIFORNIA into the hot south.