Search This thread

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
While it's not HTC One, I posted a gameplay vid in the Samsung general section showing the Exynos variant of the S4 gameplay in Modern Combat 4 and Real Racing 3. While it's still early and the games may not be optimized for it, in my opinion it's not too impressive.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2227074 Judging by what I've seen so far, the Adreno 320 seems to run these games smoother than the PowerVR in the Exynos.

i have watched these movies and it's clearly not up to Adreno 320 especially since we confirmed MC4 running at 1080p native (at least on Adreno)

i just want to say one thing, why were people expecting otherwise? because they fooled themselves into thinking its the same as the iPad4 GPU but its not

in reality the 544MP3 is more or less the 543MP3 on the iPhone it is than the 554MP4 on the iPad4

the only main difference between 543 and 544 is 2x the vertex power (claim), originally it was to be OCed from 300mhz on the iPhone to 533mhz (1.7x) but most likely it did not happen

so lets assume its running at 450mhz making it 1.5x the iPhone 5 plus 2x the vertex power

the 543MP3@300mhz has to deal with very easy sub HD resolution

meanwhile the 544MP3@450mhz has to deal with 1080p resolution!

all this and the iPad4's much faster 554MP4 is unable to deal with its own 2k resolution in many heavy games (MC4 lag, RR3 stutters), most importantly the iPad4 has one extra physical core, faster performing cores per clock plus a quad channel memory interface

bottom line what you are getting is a mid way performance between the iPhone 5 and iPad 4

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
drivers @80%
Two new S600 device scoring higher in GL benchmark Egypt HD 2.5, Android 4.2.2 :)

Sharp FIH-VKY, onscreen 1080p 40.1fps, Android 4.2.2

Vizio VP810, onscreen 1080p 40.0fps, Android 4.2.2

Samsung SHV-E300S with 544MP3 scoring 40.2fps onscreen, 42.8fps offscreen in Egypt HD 2.7, Android 4.2.2

HTC One scoring 34.8fps onscreen, 36.8fps offscreen in Egypt HD 2.7, Android 4.1.2

Asus PadFone Infinity scoring 33.0fps onscreen, 34.8fps offscreen in Egypt HD 2.7, Android 4.1.2

Samsung SHV-E300S with 544MP3 scoring 12.4fps onscreen, 12.5fps offscreen in Trex HD 2.7, Android 4.2.2

HTC One scoring 14.8fps onscreen, 14.2fps offscreen in TRex HD 2.7, Android 4.1.2

Asus PadFone Infinity scoring 13.3fps onscreen, 13.3fps offscreen in TRex HD 2.7, Android 4.1.2

It's pretty clear, a matter of drivers and the Octa like the iPhone and iPad is weaker in the more advanced TRex test

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
For people wondering why the once mighty A6X, a large die area GPU, designed specifically for a tablet, is struggling to beat the Snapdragon 600's Adreno 320, a GPU designed mainly for smartphones in Glbenchmark 2.7, but is still the strongest in GLB 2.5.1, I have two suggestions.

GLbenchmark 2.7 is a beast of a test, far more complex than current Android games. It massively increased the geometric complexity, (number of polygons).

1) The PowerVR GPUs found in Apple products using a technology called TBDR ( tile-based deferred rendering), this has many benefits for mobile platforms, but its weakness is high polygon count scenes. Basically, as geometric complexity increases, the TBDR technology becomes less efficient.

2) GLB 2.7 features lots of lush foliage, which uses various transparencies to give the required effect. Part of this process requires the use of Alpha Test, which stops hidden polygons being rendered. I've confirmed with Kishonti, the makers of GLB that 'Alpha Test' is used in 2.7.

PowerVR GPUs do not like 'Alpha Test' commands, specifically the Discard command, its use harms performance. This is made clear by Imgtec themselves (Page 10)
http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/docs/PowerVR.Performance Recommendations.1.0.28.External.pdf

However, a former Imgtec employee confirmed that GLbenchmark 2.7 is using Alpha Test, in the most effective way possible, so it doesn't totally remove all of PowerVR architectural benefits.

Back to reality:p GLB 2.7 is far more complex, than any mobile game we'll see this year, even the best mobile GPUs can only render it under 20 FPS. PowerVR continues to be an excellent GPU for the types of games we currently see on mobile. With Adreno 3/400, Qualcomm have an excellent architecture suitable for the next-gen of games. PowerVR Rogue 6 will be soon available, and we'll get a chance to evaluate how they've adapted their architecture to deal with growing complexity of mobile games.

Reactions: hamdir and shox22

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
excellent feedback mate, just a couple of notes

Adreno 320 is able to do both TBR and DBR, there is also a feature of juggling between both modes called Flex Render (i dont know if the mixed mode is introduced yet, it wasnt ready when the Nexus 4 launched)

Transparency is a big weakness on the power VR side and no its not just next games, the iPad 4 frame rate in both Asphalt 7 and Modern Combat 4 running at their native resolution hits bottom whenever you are in a scene with heavy transparency, some levels in both games are almost unplayable

to be perfectly honest, with the exception of the phenomenal Infinity Blade 2 on the iPad 4 i was very disappointed by the performance of the GPU, despite the massive increase over the iPad3 its still not enough to run the hardest current iOS games at 2k

back on topic, what do you think about the new benchmarks i posted above?

Last edited:

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
excellent feedback mate, just a couple of notes

Adreno 320 is able to do both TBR and DBR, there is also a feature of juggling between both modes called Flex Render (i dont know if the mixed mode is introduced yet, it wasnt ready when the Nexus 4 launched)

Transparency is a big weakness on the power VR side and no its not just next games, the iPad 4 frame rate in both Asphalt 7 and Modern Combat 4 running at their native resolution hits bottom whenever you are in a scene with heavy transparency, some levels in both games are almost unplayable

to be perfectly honest, with the exception of the phenomenal Infinity Blade 2 on the iPad 4 i was very disappointed by the performance of the GPU, despite the massive increase over the iPad3 its still not enough to run the hardest current iOS games at 2k

back on topic, what do you think about the new benchmarks i posted above?

I heard of Flex Render, but didn't really understand how it's being using in S600, an Anandtech article mentioned (S4 Pro) that futures versions will use heuristics to automatically switch, but are we there yet???

Asphalt 7 & MC4 are both Gameloft games, a studio known for unoptimised products.But more GPU more is needed, as resolutions increases, and games get more complex. I heard that WQXGA 7 inch tablets will launch next year, I swear we'll see 4K tablets by 2015.

I saw those benchmarks, we must be careful with the onscreen numbers, the Sharp & Vizio both must have onscreen buttons, and thus report a resolution of 1794 x 1080, so I'm not sure if they actually rendering at a true 1080p on those tests. Hopefully #One will get 4.2.2 soon, and we can run real numbers. Btw, why haven't there been any 4.2.2 leaks for The One, via RUU, didn't he used to release beta official ROMS in the past?

shox22

May 12, 2010
Had too much battery left before i went to sleep, so i started a try:

Antutu loop till the device reached 50° and then started glbenchmark. Result?

37fps offscreen, 33fps onscreen (2.5). No sign of gpu thottling at all! Pretty amazing cause the device was really hot at this stage (51° at the end)...

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Update:
Thanks to Shox22 and Ossy1337 we have first GPU OC results

GPU: 450mhz (up from 400mhz stock)

Firmware: 1.29.401.13

Kernel: ElmentalX 0.3
GLBenchmark 2.7 - Egypt HD 2.5 (offscreen) - 40fps vs 36.9fps stock
GLBencharmark 2.7 - Egypt HD 2.5 (onscreen)- 36 fps vs 35.9 stock
GLBenchmark - 2.7 Trex (offscreen) - 17fps vs 14.8fps stock
GLBenchmark - 2.7 Trex (onscreen) - 15fps vs 14.4fps stock
Taji 45,80fps without menubar vs 41fps stock with menu bar, 37fps stock without menu bar

scores are as good as the standard Adreno 320 SGS4 in offscreen but onscreen they are oddly limited

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
So i thought, this thread deserves one more bump ;)

like promised, the HTC One Adreno 320 is now achieving 41fps in Egypt HD offscreen and 40fps onscreen! thanks to the new 4.2.2 drivers, at stock 400mhz
Aright,

T-Rex HD offscreen: 836 frames, 15fps
Egypt HD offscreen: 4601 frames, 41fps

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42120743&postcount=6562

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

This basically means the HTC One matches the iPhone 5 real world onscreen speed, in otherwords the GPU is as fast as the iPhone 5 in 640p, while we are running in native 1080p!

This is on stock 400mhz, OC to 450mhz will allow us to cross both iOS devices

HTC One, stock 4.2.2, 400mhz
TRex HD onscreen: 15fps
TRex HD offscreen: 15fps
Egypt HD onscreen: 40fps
Egypt HD offscreen: 41fps

iPhone 5
TRex HD onscreen: 14.6fps
TRex HD offscreen: 6.7fps
Egypt HD onscreen: 41.1fps
Egypt HD offscreen: 29.8fps

iPad 4
TRex HD onscreen: 12.4fps
TRex HD offscreen: 16.8fps
Egypt HD onscreen: 43.1fps
Egypt HD offscreen: 54.4fps

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They could have used faster memory for the same price if they didn't cut off Samsung as a supplier. Makes you wonder where their priorities lie. Making the best products possible or just going with the motions.

No one is going to take anything you say here seriously, as you've managed to have 2 threads closed in the last 30 mins. One of those inane posts you made involved you saying that HTC is going to be paying, according to your genius calculation, 20% of their profits to Apple (I forget what insanely unintelligent reason you gave). Yeah, because being able to completely migrate data from 1 completely different phone to another is such a bad idea for a company that wants to push their product.

So, what is the per unit cost of what HTC is paying for RAM now vs. what they could have gotten from Samsung? Exactly, you have no idea. I also didn't hear anything about HTC "cutting off" Samsung as a supplier, but maybe I missed it, so I google'd "htc cut off samsung supplier" and found 2 links...

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/following-apple-htc-cuts-component-orders-from-samsung/505402

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121009PD213.html

I'm not sure if you have the capability of reading or not, but I'll spoon feed you this information, ok hunny? I've taken the info from the 1st link, since there is more there.

After Apple Inc slashed its orders for memory chips for its new iPhone from major supplier and competitor, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, HTC too has reportedly cut down on its smartphone component orders from the South Korean company.

So, Apple cut down on memory orders. You know, they are the one's who make the iPhone? Have a logo of an Apple on their products? Steve Jobs was the CEO before he died. Anyway, I'll continue...

According to a report by DigiTimes, HTC has reduced its orders from Samsung, and instead opted to order CMOS image sensors from OmniVision and Sony. The company has also chosen to move part of its AMOLED panel orders to AU Optronics, DigiTimes reported citing ‘sources’.

Notice it said that HTC reduced its orders from Samsung, specifically on the image sensors (that's for the camera, if you didn't know) and the screen. You know, the thing on the front of your phone that you touch to make it do things? You know what I mean, right? I encourage you to read this link (or possibly have someone read it to you)...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reduce

The point is that reduce isn't the same as cut off. Cutting off would require HTC not ordering ANYTHING from Samsung. Guess what? The One doesn't use an OmniVision CMOS sensor (don't forget, that's what the camera uses) or an AMOLED screen (the bright part of your phone that shows you info).

Also, this is a far better designed phone, especially in regards to hardware, than anything Samsung has ever produced. I went back to my EVO 4G LTE, mainly because I couldn't stand the terrible build quality of the Note 2. It just feels like a cheap toy. And, IMO, Sense is far better than TW. Samsung may have the market right now because of the Galaxy line of products, but that doesn't mean that HTC is out of the game by any means.

Seriously, attempt to use just a bit of intelligence before opening your mouth and spewing diarrhea throughout the One forums. As the saying goes: "it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot, then to open your mouth and prove it". Unfortunately for you, it's too late.
    Very important gaming development on the Snapdragon 600 and HTC One thanks to following gameplay videos, seems we have underestimated Qualcomm:
    Most important video of all is modern combat 4, seems the game was officially updated for Adreno 320 and its now running in full effects, which also means Qualcomm are finally pushing visual quality on their GPU (we already know they are working with gameloft), the game is now running full quality, fully smooth, I will not be able to tell if its running in native 1080p or scaling but since we can see fps drops during transparencies at the start of the beach scene I would assume its 1080p (update confirmed 1080p), considering this game is currently a lagfest on the iPad4 after the retina support, I have to say I'm very impressed, if this is indeed 1080p make this mind blowning

we can still see fps dips during cut scenes and certain areas, so definitely ondemand can not be a match to a more aggressive governor, so expect better performance from the included msm-dcvs governor or gameboost (requires root)

I still didn't play this game due to the lag on my ipad4, so i can't wait to play it on my HTC One (hoping to have mine next week)

Real Racing 3. The game was previously running in medium mode with no realtime reflections, in the video it seems updated to high mode with real time reflections but its not clear whether its modded or official, there are clear fps dips, what its not clear if its ondemand governor to blame, 1080p or lack of optimizations, if some rooted user can try it with the msm-dcvs governor and reports back on fps, also confirms if its updated to realtime reflections

Nova 3 was always running in full effects for Afreno 320, its very smooth in this video with unjustified random fps dips which most likely mean the game is not demanding full speed from the ondemand governor, a switch to msm-dcvs governor using root might improve it, vsync disabled or custom kernel with GPU unlocked to 487mhz

Batman runs fully smooth with full effects engaged, including depth of field

Shadowgun is sadly missing the awesomeness from the THD Tegra exclusive version, but this is the game that use to suffer from ondemand the governor most, during light load it used to lag as the CPU scales all the way down, non of this on the HTC One, buttery performance

Asphalt 7 and wildblood are still without effects (most likely these games are not identifying the device and running default modes), but I think we can still expect updates to fix it, especially asphalt 7, otherwise it can modded easily but wildblood is not easy to mode

Conclusion

Modern Combat 4 in full effects is currently one of the heaviest mobile games, like I said it even lags on the mighty iPad4 at full retina, the fact it's running so well out of box is clearly reassuring toward the gaming future of Snapdragon 600 and Qualcomm's support, now that the Snapdragon 600 is announced for the SGS4 I can only expect such support to grow, mass devices are always a primary target for companies like Gameloft, lets remember Tegra 3 support only took off when the Nexus 7 was unleashed

Regarding HTC's troubled ondemand governor issue in games, it seems a lot has improved since the One X, but expect even greater performance by rooting and switching or optimizing governors (Game boosted ondemand, interactive or msm-dcvs)

As for Adreno 320, I think I might have under estimated this GPU, looking at this GFLOPS table Adreno 320 can achieve 51GFLOPS @ 500mhz vs 51GFLOPS @533mhz on the 544MP3, according to the HTC One GL 34fps score, we have already confirmed it runs at a modest 400mhz, the best scenario for the 544MP3 is 533mhz if its not down clocked due to thermals and would score around 45fps, Adreno 320 can be easily OCed using custom kernels and fauxclock app or trickster mod, vsync can be disabled as well, it can already achieve stable 487mhz on the Nexus 4' S4pro, given the sgs4 s600 41fps score we can assume Samsung is running it at 487mhz as well

Considering the Frankenstein nature of the Exynos Octa chipset I can safely conclude Snapdragon 600 is a dramatically more efficient and elegant solution, even if I was buying an SGS4 (in another life) I would go for the Snapdragon 600 version
    Very funny how you were complaining how better ios is @ gaming to android flagships, and now the GPU they use can not be "optimised". You really contradicting yourself there. As for more proof, pls go to GL bench' in the compare section select Iphone5 and HTC one, the on-screen performance(which people should concentrate on, cos off-screen is for comparing only and the on-screen shows the real performance of the device) the Iphone 5 is higher. Also all ios devices use this GPU, so surely developers will find it easier and more attractive to develop for a GPU that is widely used across platforms. The SGS4 plus the Iphone wile take about 70% of smartphone sales, this again is going to attract more devs. Surely game optimising will get better for the andreno, but will not be better than support for the power VR which is seeing serious promotion from its main users. I once said to these OEMs its not about making the best phone, but all about selling the most(something apple and sammy are doing great@) making a premium phone and telling people you kept 300 features there is not enough to sell. Sammy who throw in a lot of features (admittedly gimmick) will sell to any average buyer who does not read tech sites for more info, is still doing serious makerting and partnership to promote their phones. I am very annoyed with the way HTC is not marketing seriously. HTC one is a very good phone, a little marketing and "kaabooom" they will be selling tanks of em. Instead of making sense of something that is still a probability, why not e-mail HTC telling them to market properly(like I did), cos if the ONE does not sell well, then HTC takes a big step to an early grave, something we all don't want. I'm not insulting you, but only a few hundred people here will be convinced by you. The question is what of the millions out there, those people that will keep HTC going, ARE THEY CONVINCED.

If you want people to read your posts learn what a paragraph is

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
    update: msm-dcvs governor is included in the HTC One, requires root to switch

Vey important info regarding Gaming on Snapdraong 4 Pro / Snapdragon 600

there is an alternative krait optimized governor on the stock Droid DNA, lets hope its included on the HTC One

and even better lets hope its using it as the main performance governor instead of the old and tired ondemand

maybe Trekest can check?
    Its well known

MSM-DCVS

a very efficient and wide range of Dynamic Clock and
    Voltage Scaling (DCVS) which addresses usage models from
    active standby to mid and high level processing requirements.
    A Krait CPU can smoothly scale from low power, low
    leakage mode to blazingly fast performance.

Believe it's a governor that is mfg'd by qualcomm to utilize new on chip features.

MSM is the prefix for the SOC (MSM8960) and DCVS is Dynamic Clock and Voltage Scaling. Makes sense, MSM-DCVS
    so found something really interesting about gaming on the Droid DNA

seems there is an alternative quad core optimized governor included in stock kernel (requires root)

called MSM-DCVS CPU governor

users switching to the governor are getting much better gaming

source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149047&page=2
    I have the games as well and they run great for me. Rooted, s-off with stock rom and kernal on newest update.. set cpu running msm-dcvs & cfq
    yea, msm-dcvs & cfq setup is made for multi core phones
    Wow, that helped dramatically. Thanks for the tip.
    yes is very nice i got more fluid gameplay but.. i only activated the MSM-DCVS... and i dont know ehre to find the CFQ ??? how can i active this and when i active the MSM-DCVS it only gives ms 1.5GHz on each core and i have it 1.7Ghz ... OVerlock do you know why?
    Wow, that helped dramatically. Thanks for the tip.

That governor is set at 1.5. You can't over or under clock it.

And cfq is an io scheduler. Most apps that let you overclock and set governors also let you change the schedular

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
    so just to be clear - you think it is mostly a software issue?

otherwise how could they fix it if its the ddr2 ram thats the bottleneck?

PS what is this samsung sd 600 leaked phone? ive somehow missed it

It's right there in glbenchmark website top list, using adeno 320 it scores 41fps offscreen

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

People, people, I'll say it again, this more than likely device specific.

The LG Nexus 4, has the thermal constraints set weirdly low, you could them with a custom kernel, or just manually editing the thermald.conf file, if rooted. Other S4 Pro didn't devices didn't have the problem. So, who says LG hasn't messed up again.

We have a GLBenchmark - Egypt HD - Offscreen figure of 34 FPS, for the HTC One, we need to wait for the Anandtech or when an XDA user is able to run the GLB tests Anandtech style, i.e. select all the tests and press start!, if the HTC One scores much lower than 34 FPS, we have an issue, but we can't really compare LG & HTC on an equal basis.

As a side issue, can any iPhone 5 owner, run GLbenchmark 2.5.1 and select all the tests, and report back the FPS they get?

Yes it would be stupid to say I will not buy it anymore

But here is what we know:

- HTC One scores less than the expected results based on Qualcomm figures and confirmed by the Samsung leaked device
    - no proof of throttling on HTC since it scored the same 34fps on multiple occasions, we loose 3fps by moving to Vsync results
    - the LG s600 device is scoring too low, a definite sign of throttling
    - there is a history of GPU throttling issues on previous s4pro LG devices
    - HTC One is running on Android 4.1.2 while the leaked Samsung is running on 4.2.x, its safe to assume the Samsung is using newer drivers

ill test GL heavily on the iPhone 5 tomorrow in the office

Actually I'm a lot more interested in a single clean run of HD offscreen, all devices throttle but not as bad as the Nexus 4

So priority one a single clean Egypt HD on a cool device

Secondary try all the tests to check the losses