Updated!!(10/20/2007) UPGRADE YOUR PHONE WITH WINDOWS VISTA!!! PROVEN METHOD!

For Vista Users: Was this helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 138 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 27.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

shamhas85

Apr 26, 2009
where is the ok button on Mda Wizard???

Where is the OK BUTTON on MDA Wizard phone...I think only the Tmobile wing has that button!

quote below:

"Now you must enter the bootloader on your device, to do this press and hold both the side ok button and the power button then put your stylus into the hole on the bottom of the device, your device will reset and show the red blue green bootloader screen. LEAVE THE DEVICE IN BOOTLOADER MODE and connect it using the USB cable to your VISTA PC.[/FONT]"

zeeshanlateef

Jan 21, 2008
Where is the OK BUTTON on MDA Wizard phone...I think only the Tmobile wing has that button!

quote below:

"Now you must enter the bootloader on your device, to do this press and hold both the side ok button and the power button then put your stylus into the hole on the bottom of the device, your device will reset and show the red blue green bootloader screen. LEAVE THE DEVICE IN BOOTLOADER MODE and connect it using the USB cable to your VISTA PC.[/FONT]"

He is talking about the camera button! press both the power and camera buttons and then soft reset. This did not work for me though!

Sparkle17

Jun 8, 2009
I can't use the Visata Udatate tool i get
"error[240]: FIle Open
Update Utility cannot open the requested file. Please check your Update Utility."

Someone please help!

moochermick

Feb 17, 2007
Many thanks for this guide, it worked fine for me once I figured out the bootloader thing and to minimise the wmdc and not exit it. May I suggest the op be changed to reflect the changes i've highlighted in green below as this is where I was having trouble.

Now you must enter the bootloader on your device, to do this press and hold both the power button and the camera button then put your stylus into the hole on the side of the device, (keep holding buttons until bootloader screen appears) your device will reset and show the red blue green bootloader screen. LEAVE THE DEVICE IN BOOTLOADER MODE and connect it using the USB cable to your VISTA PC.

Now navigate into the WMDC (Start>All Programs>Windows Mobile Device Center) and click on the "connection settings" menu icon.

In the connection settings menu untick "allow USB connections" then press OK.

Now minimise the WMDC and return to the desktop, go into the start menu and type "Services", this will take you into the local services dialogue and show a list of all services either running or registered with your pc.

chilenoneto

May 7, 2008
Santiago
I have Windows 2008 Server x64 on my machine, so for obvious reasons I wasn't able to flash my device..

Even with the Vista RUU and the new drivers (with the driver protection thing off) it just never worked..

Anyway, there is a 100% method to make it work on any version of windows (32-64 bit, XP-2003-Vista-2008)!!!!!

It's called VMWare with XP, and my phone if flashing right now :)

Regards, hope this will help someone save lots of time ;)

Yes ... it works !!! I did a rom flash with a "VmWared" XP SP2 successfuly...

Just some comments to save your time on this method:

1.- Run the virtual machine
2.- with the focus on the new machine ("Input grabbed" in vmware lingo;) ) connect your wizard
3.- once detected and driver installed and everything, unplug your wizard
4.- reset the wizard booting it in bootloader mode (cam + reset)
5.- connect it to the virtual machine in input grabbed to get vmware catch it
6.- Reset the wizard, and then proceed as usual like your virtual machine was a real one..

Explaning:

Vmware creates a "Virtual USB Device"to bridge your device to the virtual machine seamlessly, and to avoid the real machine to take control of it. As our wizard resets, as part of the normal update process, vmware tries to catch it an sets up a new virtual device as boot loader wizard its a different device to windows.

This steps above, as i tested, eliminated the 5 to 10 seconds lag on the detection, that can conduct to errors in the update process...

:cool: c ya

adigo

Apr 6, 2008
I have vmware xp machine intalled on vista and win7 but none of them success. when I try to connect it to the VM it is always recongnized as an USB receiver and fail to install the driver. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm using vmware workstation 6.5. Thank you!

Yes ... it works !!! I did a rom flash with a "VmWared" XP SP2 successfuly...

Just some comments to save your time on this method:

1.- Run the virtual machine
2.- with the focus on the new machine ("Input grabbed" in vmware lingo;) ) connect your wizard
3.- once detected and driver installed and everything, unplug your wizard
4.- reset the wizard booting it in bootloader mode (cam + reset)
5.- connect it to the virtual machine in input grabbed to get vmware catch it
6.- Reset the wizard, and then proceed as usual like your virtual machine was a real one..

Explaning:

Vmware creates a "Virtual USB Device"to bridge your device to the virtual machine seamlessly, and to avoid the real machine to take control of it. As our wizard resets, as part of the normal update process, vmware tries to catch it an sets up a new virtual device as boot loader wizard its a different device to windows.

This steps above, as i tested, eliminated the 5 to 10 seconds lag on the detection, that can conduct to errors in the update process...

:cool: c ya

igotit989

May 18, 2010
Portland Oregon
So im new to flashing phones and i got a 8125 (3g) for free for my wife it comes locked to at&t (cingular) and that dont really matter to me as we have at&t but it has WM5 and i would like to change that to a newer one and my laptop has windows 7 64bit i know i have to unlock it to upgrade it ive read everything in here and tried to get it to work but sofar with nothing at all. :confused:

RoryB

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2008
Lexington
So im new to flashing phones and i got a 8125 (3g) for free for my wife it comes locked to at&t (cingular) and that dont really matter to me as we have at&t but it has WM5 and i would like to change that to a newer one and my laptop has windows 7 64bit i know i have to unlock it to upgrade it ive read everything in here and tried to get it to work but sofar with nothing at all. :confused:
Have you read all these threads?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=285435
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=249474
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=305225
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=263116
You have to read to decide which method you want to try.
I do not remember which one I decided on.

igotit989

May 18, 2010
Portland Oregon
Thanks for the links ive gone through them all and still not haveing any luck it seems like that problem im running in to is the software dosent work with windows 7 ive tried running in compadabilty and none if it works and my laptops only have home premium (64bit) i tried to get the stuff to run virtual xp but havent had any luck doing that.
any other ideas maybe some newer software for windows 7? it seems everything was made right around the time Vista was still new. lol maybe ill have to see if i have some old parts laying round and make a xp system for just doing this phone.
my phone is a Iphone 3gs and im running the 4.0 beta 4 on it

RoryB

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2008
Lexington
Probably won't find a newer version. Our old Wizards seem to be just hanging on by those few of us that still have them. You will probably have to use a XP machine. Once you get it unlocked, you can run the RUU in VISTA. This is what I do. I unlocked my phone with my XP machine and now it has been upgraded to VISTA 64.

igotit989

May 18, 2010
Portland Oregon
Thanks for the help got it working i had to build a Xp system lol :) Nothing like have a pile of parts and no case running but now my Wizard is running great i loaded [WM6.5.x][6.5.1.7 - 23085] made by md_bluelily's

Nov 12, 2007
mba tmobile need help

Dear Sir oir madam, We need your help! Our mda tmobile lost its wifi. It wifi hardware or software?

Also the back up mda ph(wifi) but a/c charger plug broken. Should you use CA glue or solder?

We have the service manual for the mda tmobile. we will email it if you want it.

upgraded to 6.5 rom, easy with exe. called x2h_wm6.5_v4.8c rom. We think that is were we lost the wifi. Thanks, Please advise.

Ognome157

Sep 13, 2011
Gaylord
HTC 8125, Win Mobile 6.5, IPL/SPL 2.26 using Win 7

Here are my notes on upgrading the Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) to
Win 6.5 mobile using Win 7 (Vista)

I had been explicitly following :
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Wizard_Windows_Mobile_6_for_newbies

and then for Vista (actually I have Win 7)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=338473

The CID and SIM had been unlocked.

The Drivers for Windows Vista x32 were installed.

VISTA_RUU.zip was downloaded and unzipped.
Everything was fine and then I ran Vista_ROMUpdateUtility.exe.
It goes through the “Viewing ….” and then the “Validating…”
The first acknowledgement screen comes up and is answered.
The second acknowledgement screen comes up and is answered.
The third screen comes up the present device information.
NEXT
You get ERROR [240]:FILE OPEN

After exiting the install, it apparently leaves a process running on
the PDA with the USB port locked, because thereafter I get the
ERROR [264]: CONNECTION message. The only thing that works
is rebooting the PDA into boot mode again which frees the USB
port issue and brings it back to the file open error message.

The problem all stems around the fact that the VISTA_RUU.zip file
does not have a nk.nbf file. Trying to find the correct nk.nbf file with
the correct 2.26 update is disconcerting, since you don’t want to turn
your PDA into a brick.

What I found is that it is not needed. Since the "Windows Mobile
Device Centre" driver has been replaced, the
T-mobile Official WM5 ROM works great and updates it to 2.26
without a problem.

I at random selected a Win 6.5 rom update from
MSD Wizard WM6.5 23085.rar which only provides a nk.nbf
file and put it in the file where I expanded the VISTA_RUU.zip.

I ran the Vista_ROMUpdateUtility.exe and the new Win rom
updated without a flaw.

I reloaded a copy of Spb Mobil Shell 3.1 without incident. It is an
GUI shell of tools and skins for the PDA. I then downloaded the 3.5
Spb update and again with out problems.

I’m truly blown away at what I can do now so simply with the new
GUI interface and the capabilities of Win 6.5 and can’t THANK YOU
enough for all your efforts to keep the user support alive. It’s like I
have a new phone with some modern capabilities on a six year
old phone.

I couldn’t have done it without the knowledge and experience of
those who have gone before me. I hope these notes will help others