[MOD][Feb 15] MultiROM v31x

Search This thread

manicmarvin

Dec 10, 2011
It should work with every rom that has an kexec-hardboot enabled kernel. As far as I know this is just OmniROM. You can use my OmniROM builds for SGP321. (here)

I have multirom running with cm11 as internal rom. I started with a completely wiped clean device, this is most probably not necessary but I wanted to wipe it anyway.

1. Installed cm11 latest nightly
2. Flashed Lightning Kernel: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-tablet-z/orig-development/lightning-kernel-cm11-t2882633
3. Installed TWRP 2.8.0.1: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/185
4. Installed MultiROM
5. Ran command from Post #49 thanks to @SnZ
su
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/FOTAKernel

I then installed OmniROM as a secondary multirom, but afterwards MultiROM complained and would not boot into the secondary ROM so I had to reinstall the Lightning Kernel (step 2) in order to boot from a multirom. Also I lost the MultiROM option in TWRP so I had to also run steps 3 & 4 to get that option back.

Next up was PAC ROM as a secondary multirom. Rebooted and presented with MultiROM boot menu with CM11 (Internal), Omni and PAC. Choosing PAC caused no such issues and MultiROM worked first time. Rebooted into TWRP and MultiROM functionality was still there and working fine but TWRP was now at 2.8.0 level and not 2.8.0.1 and TWRP crashed a during MultiROM work.

Again, ran steps 2, 3, 4 & 5 and all was well again so seems normal

Now I have cm11 as internal ROM, TWRP with MultiROM and Omni and PAC as secondary ROMS.

There are much easier ways you can have MultiROM as mentioned in the OP but this is one method for keeping CM11 as Primary...even if you have to rerun a few quick steps each time.

Manic
SGP312 pollux_windy

pollonamid

Jul 9, 2014
Dresden
I have multirom running with cm11 as internal rom. I started with a completely wiped clean device, this is most probably not necessary but I wanted to wipe it anyway.

I tried out what you wrote but on my SGP321 it worked much easier :D

I installed the most recent cm11 nightly.
After that I installed Lightning kernel (here)
Then I installed the multirom zip and rebooted. From there on multirom worked.

I was able to install Omni and Pac as secondarys without any problems. All of them boot and work fine. I don't know what went wrong on your device., but happy to hear that it's working now.

pollonamid

Jul 9, 2014
Dresden
sorry no changelog.. i mostly just changes to follow what Tassadar is doing for is official devices..

i have made another update today to have the new multirom twrp recovery version (2.8.1)

Pollux

pollux_windy

Thank you for the builds. I was busy the last weeks with moving house and stuff. But now I have time again. :)

If you don't mind I link your builds from the first post.

I think there is no Chance for original Rom support.... ?

Sent from my SGP311 using omnirom

I don't think so. :D

I got it working on pollux. I'm currently working on the pollux_windy kernel, but I need someone to test it.

Someone with unlocked bootloader and Sony Stock-Rom v. 10.5.1.A.0.x.

Last edited:

phillipssat

May 1, 2013
Thank you for the builds. I was busy the last weeks with moving house and stuff. But now I have time again. :)

If you don't mind I link your builds from the first post.

I don't think so. :D

I got it working on pollux. I'm currently working on the pollux_windy kernel, but I need someone to test it.

Someone with unlocked bootloader and Sony Stock-Rom v. 10.5.1.A.0.x.

Stock as master are as second/third Rom ??

phillipssat

May 1, 2013
When you got it, hopefully you can also transform the coming Android 5.0 for z-series.....

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vh3puLb.png

Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Nexus 7. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Active, Bohdi Linux or WebOS port.Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

WARNING

It is dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.

NOTES

• I'm not responsible for anything.
    • I just compiled it, the hard work was done by the people in the credits section. Please support them.
    • Please post bugs

Installation with Sony Stock ROM

1. Your bootloader must be unlocked for this to work.
    2. Make a backup
    3. Flash custom boot.img (fastboot flash boot boot_stock_windy.img / fastboot flash boot boot_stock_pollux.img
    4. Install multirom.zip

Installation with OmniROM

1. Make a backup
    2. Install OmniRom
    3. Install multirom.zip

more detailed

1. Make a backup from your recovery
    2. Install a Rom with kexec-hardboot support from recovery
    3. Install multirom.zip from TWRP
    4. Reboot to recovery
    5. Install second ROM from recovery (Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM)
    6. You now have a Xperia Tablet Z with multiboot

Source

CREDITS

Tasssadar - MultiROM and modified TWRP
    Olivier - MultiROM port to Xperia Z
    Olivier and Everyone else mentioned here - KEXEC hardboot porting to Xperia Z and Tablet Z
    skiwong 20 - building builds while I was away
    OmniROM

Downloads

Pollux

Pollux_windy
    • WARNING! - I don't own this device, so it's untested.
    • multirom.zip

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM v31x pollux, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Contributors
    pollonamid

Version Information

Created 2014-08-26
    Last Updated 2015-02-15
    Hey @pollonamid do you need some coffee or beer to help you through this, or just time :)

Hope all is well and you haven't left us for good!

No, I don't need anything of that. I just lost motivation working on this cause of other private projects I was working on.

But yesterday I felt like working on this again. So here is v31x :good:

pollux
    pollux_windy

MultiRom still needs a host rom with kexec_hardboot support kernel.
    Lollipop Roms work fine as secondary roms.
    Reserved

Changelog:
    26/08/2014 - First release
    16/09/2014 - No need to install recovery seperately
    21/09/2014 - fixed list rom-view in recovery
    Any progress with stock rom support?

Stock rom support is next on my list. Currently tring to compile the stock kernel. Never done this before :laugh: