[GUIDE/HOWTO] Droid DNA on PagePlus
Okay so I just wanted to help out anyone else who wanted to get their DNA flashed to PagePlus since there are no (complete / dedicated) guides for this. Also, I figure I'd save a couple of people ~$20 - $50 to pay to have their phones flashed. I'm no expert at this, but I did get voice, sms and 3G (see below) data working. I know how to get MMS working (natively) but I am only familiar on how to do it with Cyanogenmod / CM-based ROMs (I'm on ViperDNA). So here we go. (Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm just short on time right now.)
What you'll need:
- Phone Information: Know your MIN, MDN and SID. You can get this information from PagePlus.
- HTC Sync. You can get it here.
- CDMA Workshop 2.7. Get the full version.
- HTC Diag drivers (read through for this, download below).
- PagePlus PRL files (download below).
- A stock DNA, or at least one running a stock ROM like this. It's needed to access Diagnostic Mode.
- An unactivated Verizon 4G LTE Micro SIM card (you can get one here for $5). This is critical.
Once you have all of this ready, you can get to flashing!
- Make sure you have everything prepped. Get your PagePlus account setup and activated (phone number and plan). You won't be able to add your phone to your account specifically yet, but you will put the number in service. Also, make sure you've got the SIM card with you as well. DO NOT PUT THE SIM IN THE PHONE YET.
- Install HTC Sync if you haven't already. This will install the HTC Drivers for you.
- Connect your phone to your computer and let all the drivers install.
- Once completed, go to the phone dialer and dial ##3424#. This will put the phone in diagnostic mode. Windows will then install the HTC DIAG and HTC DIAG 9k drivers. Windows found and installed the drivers for me, so they may work for you. If the installation fails, just follow the instructions to install the DIAG drivers here. (Note: The Device Manager won't say HTC USB Modem, it'll say HTC Diagnostic Interface (COMX) & HTC Diagnostic Interface - 9k (COMX).)
- Once installed, enter ##3424# on your DNA's keypad again if necessary, go to the Device Manager and check if the two HTC Diagnostic ports are listed under LPT/COM Ports without the yellow triangle. If there's no error triangle you're good to go.
- Take note of the COM port that the "HTC Diagnostic Interface - 9k" diagnostic interface is on. This is what we'll be writing to.
You just got past the first hurdle. Now it's time to start actually flashing the phone.
- Open up CDMA Workshop. Hopefully you'd have had this downloaded by now.
- Connect to the COM port that HTC Diagnostic Interface - 9k is on. Click connect. YOU CANNOT CONNECT TO THE REGULAR (NON-9k) HTC DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE'S PORT. This is normal.
- The status bar at the bottom of the window will say "Ready..." if you are connected. Click read. If everything on the left hand side of the window populates, you're good.
- Now for these next parts, I'm going to give my own experience. I had issues with the phone not responding to the write commands (it appeared) so I'd always write everything multiple times just to be safe. I'd also have to enter the SPC unlock code numerous times throughout working on the phone. It was quite annoying. Settings stuck though, which was good.
- Go to the Security tab. Look for the SPC section. Enter "000000" (without quotes) into the box above the Read and SPC buttons. Then click SPC > Send. you'll then get a message saying the phone has been unlocked.
- Go to the Other tab. Look under RU-IM. Click the drop down box and select "NV-only".
- In the same tab go to the PRL box. "NAM1" should be selected in the drop down box. Under it click the Write button and browse to the folder with the downloaded PagePlus PRLs. I recommend choosing to write "52711.prl" as that's the one that worked for me. Write the PRL to NAM1.
- Click the drop down box and select NAM2. Write the same PRL to it as well.
- Switch the the NAM tab. Click the Read button at the bottom of the box. The fields should populate with data.
- Overwrite the MIN field with the info PagePlus gave you. Enter your phone number into Dir_Number (the field to the right of MIN). then go down to SID and replace that number with the SID PagePlus gave you. Write the data.
- Click read to ensure the data was written. Go back to the Main tab and then go to Mode > Reset. Disconnect from CDMA Workshop and reboot your phone.
- Once rebooted, connect the phone to your PC again and enter DIAG Mode (##3424#). Open up CDMA workshop and connect to the appropriate COM port. Read the data and ensure everything in the NAM tab is what you entered. If it is correct, you may disconnect end get out of DIAG Mode.
Alright, here's where it gets changed up. Wifi was not working for me on the stock ROM that I flashed, so I flashed my DNA to ViperDNA after these steps (which I recommend). If wifi is working for you, you can just continue then.
- Open up the Play Store and search for LTE On/Off (for the HTC Thunderbolt). Install it.
- Open it up, scroll down to the radio settings and select CDMA auto (PRL). The settings may not stick at first. Just keep applying it and turn the radio on and off. (When I would select it, it would change to CDMA + EvDo/LTE and I'd have to keep toggling it and selecting CDMA auto (PRL) until it stuck).
- Enter airplane mode for a minute and then disable it. Wait a minute or two. If the signal bars show up without the roaming sign, you're good. Go to Settings > Mobile Data. You should see your data mode set to CDMA (on ViperDNA at least). DO NOT EDIT THIS.
- Shut your phone off. Insert your SIM card. Turn your phone on.
- Open up LTE On/Off and make sure that it's still set to CDMA auto (PRL). You should be getting text messages (to check, just use Google Voice and send a text to your number). Call *22890 or *22891. It may not work. Wait a bit though as it may start auto activating for you without needing to actually open the phone app or anything (this happened for me). It'll activate the phone with Verizon Prepaid (obviously not PagePlus) BUT THIS IS NORMAL. Let the phone finish activating.
- Make a call and listen to the instructions. It'll say something about your activation PIN being defaulted to the last 4 digits of your number, and to press 1 for English texting or something. Just press one.
- Congratulations, your phone is flashed. You should now have voice, sms and 3G working.
- If 3G isn't working for you, kick your phone into airplane mode for a bit and then disable it. Also toggle Mobile Data on and off once or twice. Eventually (within 15 minutes) 3G will start working.
- If for some reason the "52711.prl" list results in a roaming signal, try flashing one of the other lists included in the download. Make sure you are writing to BOTH NAM1 and NAM2.
- If the HTC Diag drivers don't work for you / are not recognized, install PdaNet and then get the diagnostic drivers from there.
- I am not 100% sure if this will work, so if any CM/CM-based ROM users can confirm this that'd be great. I used this same method on my Rezound to get MMS working on PagePlus. Just do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=172.
- Can I ask those of you who have flashed their DNAs to PagePlus using this guide to please report back with 3G speeds (post a picture using the SpeedTest.net app)? Thanks! I just want to make sure 3G is working as best as it possibly can. So far speeds are pretty fast for me though.
I would never have figured out how to do this without the guide on flashing the Rezound to PagePlus
and the other guys in that thread. Also dhaval1
's reply to a thread
that I randomly came by also helped. And I'd also like to thank the guys from those threads and other places here on XDA who got these files onto the forums for use!
LG Rumor > LG Shine > *Got smart.* > HTC Rezound > Samsung Galaxy Centura (The dark days.) > HTC Droid DNA.