Is the end of Nexus inevitable? Silver Line to come soon..... Discussion

What do you prefer? Nexus or Project Silver ?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
I'm still hoping for a nexus 8. My niece would love my n7 2013 and a n8 would be the perfect excuse for me to pass it to her and get one.

Maybe not a very exciting answer, but where tech is concerned (and all the rumours that precede any new product) I am a "I'll wait and see" kind of guy. Also, I see no real reason to rush out and buy the latest and greatest all the time what I have is serving its purpose :)

Understandable that you shouldnot just go out and buy every LATEST gadget out there. I specifically have a guide for it which is in my signature!

About Nexus 8, rumors have again been flooded so lets hope we do get a Nexus 8.

jacker_

Jul 27, 2011
I think Google spent many years and money to make a Nexus brand. Its a wrong choice to destroy Nexus brand. So may be we will see both nexus and android silver devices.

Logix

Forum Moderator
Staff member
My problem with this silver program is that price will surely not be nexus levels and I doubt these silver edition phones will have the freedom that nexuses have. Just like Dev editions.... most of which still have restrictions you don't see on a nexus. Example, flashing any bootloader you want, no matter what version.

So I'm not very excited about this potential new direction.

Also, it will split up the current nexus community over multiple devices.

agreed i think splitting the community is bad we have only so many devs to start with that are willing to donate their time. but i think eventually most people will move to one or two silver devices.

H0B0onDRUGS2

Feb 13, 2014
Not only will Google's Android Silver Program hopefully be coming out early next year, but let us remember that they also have a goal of releasing their Project Ara modular phones around the same time (January 2015). The reason I bring this up is because online I found that they have a 4 × 7 Endo (sort of like a motherboard) for a model that they label as a "phablet", but if we don't have to be tied to a cell phone provider then we basically will have a modular tablet that we can upgrade piece by piece when newer parts are released.

Also, if we are able to produce successful graphene transistors for our microprocessors to give us some serious processing power on our handheld devices, that would be nice too. So far I only have ran into IBM being mentioned online on creating one at the moment. So if I understood it correctly, if we later on get a module piece with a graphene chip inside then that would be the next step for having powerful haldhelds. Also having to overcome the production process to meet demands as well will be a hurtle to overcome. (Searching online can help find more info on this. I'm not an expert, just posting what I remember reading.) If companies want to hold it off from us, will there be a kickstarter to produce them later on? A user can dream...

Last thing I want to mention since we are talking about Android Silver, is that yes I too believe cost was a huge factor for the success the Nexus devices. Not sure if that was one of the main reasons it has sold so well. Newegg has refurbished Nexus 7s (2013 edition) for $150.00 right now. Which is why I chose the device over all others. Decent specs, open source OS, large Dev community, easy to personalize OS, and all for a reasonable price. Hopefully they take note of all this and keep giving us great devices in the near future.

Last edited:

brenty108

Jan 12, 2011
santa flora
Well I just don't like that there seems that there would be no 2014 nexus 7 which I had my mind set on. But whatever I'm not buying a nexus 8 because it can't fit on my pocket ?

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
Latest on Nexus

Dave Burke, the head of Android engineering and the Nexus program at Google, spoke to ReadWrite and completely debunked the idea that the Nexus program is disappearing.
Burke went on to explain that it is actually impossible for Google to build Android without Nexus devices. The two processes happen in tandem - as the Android team writes the software, the hardware team builds the new Nexus devices. Beyond that, the Nexus program is (as we have said often) a way to show where Google thinks the platform should be going both with software and hardware. The Nexus program isn't going anywhere.

Reference :
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...ay-but-Android-Silver-is-in-the-works_id57593

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there

We all must be hearing a lot of rumors about the end of Nexus Line by Google and Launch of Silver in upcoming year, by 2015 according to sources!

Well, according to my knowledge, the Nexus was introduced to increase the number of phones/tablets running Android in fast growing market which was dominated by Ipad/Iphone. As Google earns its 97% of profit due to advertisements, it was inevitable that if Google can increase the number of devices used, it would certainly mean more profit due to coaxing more users to its services and advertisement. This meant that although Google made some profit on Nexus devices but its main aim was to increase the android devices using Google Services like Youtube, Gmail, Google+.

Also, it was a way to provide "pure android experience" to the users free from all freezing which was mostly due to customization of android by different manufacturers.

Devices in the Nexus line do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android (such as custom graphical user interfaces), and have an unlockable bootloader to allow further development and end-user modification.Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system and recommended by the Android Open Source Project for Android software development.

PROJECT SILVER
    Silver line basically is a way to control Samsung influence by Google. The concept is that if a device fulfills certain hardware and software criterias, they would be labelled as SILVER. The Google would ensure that these devices are first to be updated as Google would itself provide the expertise required in development of the android software. Not just that, Google would also give some subsidies which would ensure that if a developer wants a device to be silver, it would be earning more profit than a non silver device. The silver devices would also be kept in special cases in shops to attract more customers. It would also mean that any manufacturer around the world can take part in Silver project and the domination of Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, Motorola and other big manufacturers would be directly challenged by Google.
    This means we would be seeing phones which would be top-notch from small manufactures like MI (XIAOMI), OPPO.

In this regard, Google would also ensure that its services are kept while custom services provided by the manufacturer are kept to minimum!
    Now the Google already has a big share in the market by Android's influence and thus it can still earn its profits by advertisement which is about 97%. Thus it does not need to put more nexus devices out there as it is directly challenged by Samsung. Now the competition has begun within Android itself which was with other OS before. The introduction of TIZEN by Samsung is a direct challenge to Android. Tizen's biggest strength in my opinion is that if you programme an app in tizen, you can use the same app in IOS , android and other platforms by just changing very little code!

The only thing I am not sure about is the price of Silver Devices. I am sure there would a tough competition but would that mean we would get the devices as cheap as Nexus line. We can not be sure as it could happen. Suppose the latest Oppo phone is labelled as silver and is selling for 300$, other manufacturers would be forced to keep their price down as nothing separates two Silver devices but we can not be sure as i mentioned before!

WHY I PREFER A NEXUS

I prefer Nexus devices over all others, not due to their development friendly nature but also they provide quick updates, top notch specifications at a very reasonable price.
    Plus, Nexus devices are certain to get all CUSTOM ROMS and development is very quick compared to many other devices!
    They also keep manufacturers to keep their price in check and they give you a pure android experience which I am not sure Project Silver can promise.

I just hope the Nexus line is always kept by Google. If they can keep on releasing one phone (4.7 inch) and two tablets ( 8 and 10) every year at least with their Silver Project and see if more consumers prefer Silver or Nexus and leave the choice to the consumers!

What do you prefer and give your reasons why you think it would be a good thing or a bad thing if Google gives up Nexus and starts Silver Project?

Update: Nexus is going to stay!! Hip Hip Hooray!
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...ay-but-Android-Silver-is-in-the-works_id57593
    Hopefully companies as Xiaomi, OnePlus, Oppo and Motorola can fill the gap for high performance devices with a attractive price tag.

Xiaomi already did : Phone -MI2 and MI3, up coming Mipad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Maybe not a very exciting answer, but where tech is concerned (and all the rumours that precede any new product) I am a "I'll wait and see" kind of guy. Also, I see no real reason to rush out and buy the latest and greatest all the time what I have is serving its purpose :)