[GUIDE] Basic Tips to avoid Bricking your phone

Search This thread

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
can't find nothing but disable hole account, i just want to avoid market from installing apps at the same time, but want gmail and calendar sync

I believe that the (market) sync-all is dependent on the version of the market that you have (Afraid that I don't know which is good or bad version).

I always set sync to manual at the start of setup, then setup google account.

I then instantly fire up and login to the market application and cancel any (I think that there's a cancel all option) occurring downloads , as I often change ROMs which means that the version of the market also changes and therefore the behavior is often different.

Last edited:

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Discovered somthing, when you click on the Updates available notification, then the market starts updating all apps, 1 at a time. I updated 10 this way.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
The next morning...., my worst fear came... I can't switched it on.. I pulled out the battery and insert it back again.. it hanged on the HTC logo.. I went to recovery and tried to wipe my data... it came out:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
Hello,
I have the M4G2DE chip too, and every time I perform a cache wipe (and also a dalvik cache clean) I get those messages.
I don't know if these two facts are related to each other but I have to format the cache partition every time I get those messages, using the command below:
Code:
mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
reboot recovery

Mine is M4G2DE as well, but I (gladly) have never had any problems at all.
Me too, apart the one described above.

thebiffman

Oct 21, 2011
Linköping
I would just like to ask a question for clarification:

If I use the "Update all" button on my unbranded och stock Desire S, do I risk it getting bricked? Or is this a problem for rooted/flashed phones? Mainly just want to know if this problem is more likely to happen if I install a custom ROM or not. If this can happen on any phone any time its mind blowingly bad.

Thanks.

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
I have seen that, using the newer Market version, there is no problem pressing update all, because it seems that the updates are performed as a batch processing.

kamei

Nov 3, 2007
I have the crap chipset to im scared to install custom rom some of them i like the looks of but like i said i dont want to ruin my phone and make an all nigther to get it running again if i get it running again.

Btw Great guide

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
I would just like to ask a question for clarification:

If I use the "Update all" button on my unbranded och stock Desire S, do I risk it getting bricked? Or is this a problem for rooted/flashed phones? Mainly just want to know if this problem is more likely to happen if I install a custom ROM or not. If this can happen on any phone any time its mind blowingly bad.

Thanks.

Yes, it is a problem. The initial issues were caused on stock devices, but i guess you can still use your warranty. To be on the safe side, do not press update all.

Reactions: thebiffman

tcchuin

Dec 25, 2008
the emmc chip will fail if it will.
used this method instead of pulling battery(what i did last time)
=> Press the Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together to reeboot the phone. In a bootloop, take off the battery cover (without pulling the battery) and press the buttons. The phone will turn off for 2-3 seconds before it turns back on. That's your window. Pull the battery in this time.

Still the phone emmc chip failed.

kylon

Dec 17, 2010
i can update all without problems so this mean i don t have a bugged chip,right?
= no brick? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

woop1

Nov 9, 2011
I recently got the "can't mount /cache/..." error on my desire S after pulling the battery. Not knowing what it was I just wiped /cache and now everything works for me again. Does that mean my chip is bad and i just delayed the problem? Or is my problem likely unrelated? I have the M4.. chip btw.

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
One time I was obliged to pull the battery and nothing bad happened: Stock device, Stock ROM and S-ON. Just an unpacked phone... A new one. I tried to press vol down + power to get into the boot loader and then I selected "Recovery". I've got an icon representing a phone + a red triangle (if I am not wrong) instead of a recovery (does the stock ROM + stock hBoot have a recovery?) and the phone was not responding to my attempt to reboot pressing vol up vol down + power.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, if you've read around this forum, you must be familiar with the infamous bricked eMMC problems. This, sadly, is a hardware issue, and once it's bricked, you have no choice but to get the eMMC replaced by a professional. Following the popular saying, "Prevention is Better Than Cure", here are a few tips to prevent the eMMC chips from burning

=> Do not download multiple apps at once from the market. Even two simultaneous apps can screw your phone up.

=> Never Use the "UPDATE ALL" feature from the market. Update each app separately.

=> When you flash a new ROM, restore your apps using titanium backup before adding a Google Account. This will prevent the market from restoring all your apps at once.

=> NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks. Use alternatives like -

=> Use ADB Commands to reboot into recovery

=> Press the Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together to reeboot the phone. In a bootloop, take off the battery cover (without pulling the battery) and press the buttons. The phone will turn off for 2-3 seconds before it turns back on. That's your window. Pull the battery in this time.

=> If you absolutely have to pull the battery, re-insert it at least 30 seconds later.
    ADB Commands

ADB Commands

You'll obviously need ADB on your PC, so download and extract the adb & fastboot onto your PC which you'll see in a link in my signature. Ensure that you have HTC drivers on your PC if not also download and install the link in my signature.

Plug phone into PC by USB cable.

Then fire up a CMD on your PC, go to directory where you put adb and issue the command
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices [/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]  ---- what is the result?[/COLOR]
    If your device appears to be recognised that's good, so next try

Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot recovery[/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="YellowGreen"]OR[/COLOR] [/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot bootloader[/B][/COLOR]
    yes, sadly there is.

Run this command in the terminal app or ADB

cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name

Post the result. If it's M4G2DE, your with us, faulty eMMC
    Okay this is my first post (yaaaay).
    I've been lurking around xda for quite a while now and bought my desire s some days ago. Now i s-offed and rooted it and installed virtuous rom on it.

I just read this thread and got kinda scared because i simultaneously update everything. I even pulled the battery and re-inserted it instantly.
    Now if i try to run the terminal command i get:
    cat/sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name: not found

Do i have to use some special terminal app or just anything from market?
    I know that after i get a reply i'll facepalm so hard as noone did before.

Also if i'm already typing: Is there a way to use adb on a mac?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On a Mac can you not now virtual PC? If yes then install adb within that, set link in my signature, download and extract into directory in that

Swyped from my Desire S using XDA Premium
    Try the app TERMINAL EMULATOR. Worked for me.

Hey ben, i can never get adb to work. Do i need the android SDK? Or just htc drivers?