APN Not Specified on Verizon Droid RAZR

Search This thread

dbs179

Dec 3, 2010
Hi all,

I recently helped out a friend who was having issues with their RAZR being unresponsive. I used SafeStrap to install SlimKat, but they had so much stuff on their Phone that I ended up putting in place of the stock rom. Almost everything works fine and the phone is much more responsive and useful. The only issue is that they can not send or receive MMS Messages. With the stock Messaging App they were getting APN not specified. I tried to set up a new APN under settings but the option is greyed out. I tried to replace the apns-conf.xml with one I found searching, which didn't work and I even tried to go to 8SMS and that still didn't work. I'm not totally new to Flashing ROM's, XML or moving data to and from Android, either via PC or with Root Explorer, but I'm used to working on my Galaxy not this RAZR so any help would be awesome. If there is a good fix for this I would really appreciate anyone helping me through it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited:

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Hi all,

I recently helped out a friend who was having issues with their RAZR being unresponsive. I used SafeStrap to install SlimKat, but they had so much stuff on their Phone that I ended up putting in place of the stock rom. Almost everything works fine and the phone is much more responsive and useful. The only issue is that they can not send or receive MMS Messages. With the stock Messaging App they were getting APN not specified. I tried to set up a new APN under settings but the option is greyed out. I tried to replace the apns-conf.xml with one I found searching, which didn't work and I even tried to go to 8SMS and that still didn't work. I'm not totally new to Flashing ROM's, XML or moving data to and from Android, either via PC or with Root Explorer, but I'm used to working on my Galaxy not this RAZR so any help would be awesome. If there is a good fix for this I would really appreciate anyone helping me through it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Are we talking xt910 or xt912?

SlimKat has the APN option greyed out... you would have to search how to modify the build.prop successfully to keep using it... have a back, if a xt910, proper firmware and RSD, or mattlgrof's utility if it is a xt912 ready prior, so you can flash back in case of mistakes.

dbs179

Dec 3, 2010
Are we talking xt910 or xt912?

SlimKat has the APN option greyed out... you would have to search how to modify the build.prop successfully to keep using it... have a back, if a xt910, proper firmware and RSD, or mattlgrof's utility if it is a xt912 ready prior, so you can flash back in case of mistakes.

Sorry, Verzion RAZR MAXX, I was distracted last night when I made this post. From what I understand it is exactly the same as a RAZR with a different body and bigger battery, so xt912 correct?

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Sorry, Verzion RAZR MAXX, I was distracted last night when I made this post. From what I understand it is exactly the same as a RAZR with a different body and bigger battery, so xt912 correct?

Yeah, a Verizon razr, be it regular or maxx is xt912.

One thing you can try is to wipe dalvik and cache in recovery and see if that works. I have had issues wiht MMS on SlimKat before, that worked for me.

After that, it is either modify the build.prop or find another ROM.

dbs179

Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, a Verizon razr, be it regular or maxx is xt912.

One thing you can try is to wipe dalvik and cache in recovery and see if that works. I have had issues wiht MMS on SlimKat before, that worked for me.

After that, it is either modify the build.prop or find another ROM.

Draxin, what would I modify in the build.prop? I did a search, but didn't come up with anything that looked like what I needed. I haven't tried the wipe yet, but want to be sure I have everything before I try again.

Thanks,
Dave

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Draxin, what would I modify in the build.prop? I did a search, but didn't come up with anything that looked like what I needed. I haven't tried the wipe yet, but want to be sure I have everything before I try again.

Thanks,
Dave

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2654214

This is the closest I have found to an answer... and it is for a razr M. It is supposed to work for xt912 too, but I personally could only find two of the four fields in my build.prop to modify, and it didn't work. Wiping the Dalvik Cache works for me, just annoying I have to do it every three or four days.

dbs179

Dec 3, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2654214

This is the closest I have found to an answer... and it is for a razr M. It is supposed to work for xt912 too, but I personally could only find two of the four fields in my build.prop to modify, and it didn't work. Wiping the Dalvik Cache works for me, just annoying I have to do it every three or four days.

Cool, I found that thread yesterday, but didn't know if it applied or not. Thanks again for the help!

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
I'll post the required build.prop edits as soon as I get home tonight.

Its just a couple of values

DROID RAZR with Tapatalk 4

Hubris Khan

Mar 22, 2014
Try using Hangouts.

I've had the same issue before using Mokee. A solution that worked for me was to set Hangouts as my default text message app and allowed Hangouts to automatically set the APN. Within the app, there is an option to manual set APN's. I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully that is an option that can work for you as well.