Phone comparison/alternatives to Ri

Search This thread

cupioscire

Jul 24, 2012
After spamming the 4.4 update thread with phone comparison things, I decided to open a new thread.
Here we can compare other devices with the RAZR I and debate about stuff like that.

Now I will start.
After getting more and more problems with my RAZR I I decided to buy a new phone. I was searching for several weeks and now I have a moto X.(in Germany, bought via eBay, using Verizon KK ROM with fully supported German language)

What I have noticed so far:
-the X perfectly fits in your hand with a acceptable weight
-the battery consumption is better than the Ri's ( I get easy 20h of (my) normal use; Ri got only ~17h)
-the screen have a much higher resolution
-the X have a better performance, up to now I doesn't had any lags.
-the voice from outgoing calls is very clear, a bit better than the Ri; the voice quality of incoming calls depends on the calling phone
-both cameras of the X are better than the Ri's, but it have also problems when the light is low
-active display and touchless control are pretty neat

Motorola Moto X DE XT1053

dj_mol3y_x8

Aug 30, 2011
Do we think the RAZR I will get 4.4
I hope moto let us know soon.

All the best

Moley

Sent from my RAZR I screen to your screen using a strange thing known as the world wide web

skupi20

Oct 10, 2008
I can't accept no slot for microSD on moto g and x. Even new version of RAZR m, droid mini there is no slot :(

Wysyłane z mojego XT890 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

bongofred

Oct 6, 2013
I think it is not fair to compare the Razr i against the X. The Moto X is without question the better phone by far, but that comes along with the fact that the X is a fully fledged flagship model of an Android and the Razr is and was a budget phone with medium specs. So a comparison can only be fair, if you compare it to phones in the same league like the Moto G, HTC One Mini, Samsung 4 mini and so on..

I recently had a Moto G in my hands and I can say that this phone is really remarkable, nice specs, nice design and it works like a charm. The only things that I noticed that are not to my liking is the bad camera and it is a bit too big for its own good. For my personal taste 4.3 is a perfect form factor, 4.5 is 0.2 inches too much. Also it is a bit thicker than the Razr i, so with my tiny little hands the G felt a bit bigger in my hands. Im not sure, if I just have to get used to that, but I really like the slim look and feel of the Razr i in comparison.

adddaamo

Oct 1, 2010
I think it is not fair to compare the Razr i against the X. The Moto X is without question the better phone by far, but that comes along with the fact that the X is a fully fledged flagship model of an Android and the Razr is and was a budget phone with medium specs. So a comparison can only be fair, if you compare it to phones in the same league like the Moto G, HTC One Mini, Samsung 4 mini and so on..

I recently had a Moto G in my hands and I can say that this phone is really remarkable, nice specs, nice design and it works like a charm. The only things that I noticed that are not to my liking is the bad camera and it is a bit too big for its own good. For my personal taste 4.3 is a perfect form factor, 4.5 is 0.2 inches too much. Also it is a bit thicker than the Razr i, so with my tiny little hands the G felt a bit bigger in my hands. Im not sure, if I just have to get used to that, but I really like the slim look and feel of the Razr i in comparison.

Same here, I also think that Moto X is currently the best phone on the market but still little to big for me.

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

Sizzers

Jan 19, 2013

I agree entirely.

I picked up a G over Christmas to cheer myself up a bit and to find out what all the fuss was about - is this phone really as good as they say for such a ridiculously low price? Well in my opinion yes, and more.

I'd had a number of frustrations with my XT890: random lagginess, certains apps not being compatible, battery life not being quite as good as I expected, amongst others. The one thing I absolutely love about the '90 though is the form factor and build quality, so IMO how does the G stack up against it? Well it's now very much my main phone.

Overall I find it's quicker and smoother with nowhere near as many lags, although whether this is down to JB 4.3, the chip, or a combination of both I have no idea, but for me it works better. The build quality is exemplary. It doesn't in any way look or feel like a plastic phone and is a rock solid build, which is a lesson Samsung should learn and I'm not talking about their budget end either. Battery life is better, beautiful screen, and couldn't be happier. True, the camera's c*** but I'm not going to use it anyway,so a big thumbs up!

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
Thank you for the voice quality comparison on the Moto X that is great info!!!! Can someone comment on the same thing regarding the G?

cupioscire

Jul 24, 2012
Same here, I also think that Moto X is currently the best phone on the market but still little to big for me.

But it's only the X's screen size which is bigger than moto G's. These phone have nearly the same shape.
And the moto x doesn't feel so big.

To the problem with no SD-card-slot:
Yes that was the one point annoying me, but to be serious, even the nexus phones haven't such a slot and Google presents how they think a android phone have to look like with this phones, so I think the sd-card-slot will die out slowly.
So I bought a developer edition with 32GB of storage. That is enough for me, I've used the RAZR I with the internal 8GB plus a 16GB SD card and even that was okay.
On the other hand we have to look at the battery consumption. A device which have to handle a internal and a external storage needs more energy. Also are SD cards mostly slower than the build in storage, which means that we lose performance.

bongofred

Oct 6, 2013
In my opinion the SD card slot is only needed, if the phone has insufficient internal memory. 16 GB is just not enough for today's needs. At least for me it is not. 32 and plus of storage is a must have. That's why I didn't get a new nexus device or will not get the Moto G.

Gesendet von meinem XT890 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: cupioscire

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
I agree on the storage issue. My iPhone 5s has 64GB and only has about 20 gigs left. It will probably be quite full in a year or two. Why phones aren't offered with 128 or heck even 512 gigs is beyond me. They are the main computers in many of our lives now. They can charge pretty much anything they want for it and a lot of us will pay.

YaPeL

Mar 1, 2011
the asus zenPhone 5'@720p, atom z2580, 8gb + sd card, android 4.3, update to 4.4, for only 150 U$S its really the moto g killer.

xNeo92x

Feb 24, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite
Moto G

I'm thinking about to sell my Razr i for 200€ and buy the Moto G for 169€ or even the one for 199€. My Razr i looks like freshly taken from the box, not one scratch, nothing. And there is a 64GB memory card with it. If I install the stock ROM then there is only the warning about the unlocked bootloader that reminds you that it is a used device.
I bought the 64GB card to listen to music, back when I was going to school but now it's a different situation and I don't have the time to listen to music on my smartphone, especially since I have a car now. And even if I wanna listen to music on my phone I think 16GB or even 8GB would be enough.

YaPeL

Mar 1, 2011
I'm thinking about to sell my Razr i for 200€ and buy the Moto G for 169€ or even the one for 199€. My Razr i looks like freshly taken from the box, not one scratch, nothing. And there is a 64GB memory card with it. If I install the stock ROM then there is only the warning about the unlocked bootloader that reminds you that it is a used device.
I bought the 64GB card to listen to music, back when I was going to school but now it's a different situation and I don't have the time to listen to music on my smartphone, especially since I have a car now. And even if I wanna listen to music on my phone I think 16GB or even 8GB would be enough.

always aim for more, not less, better wait for the asus zen Phones

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008
I'm really not trying to troll here, just relaying my experience over the last two months:

I've been on Android for 3 years. Before, I was using WindowsMobile 6, and version 5 before that, until Microsoft stupidly killed that incredibly diverse ecosystem and made me and millions of others jump to Android. I had a clamshell Razr V3i before that that was an astonishingly good and beautifully hackable phone for the time - it was a great web browser with opera mini and I could email from it too, fantastic voice quality that could be tuned with a hex editor, and excellent radio/reception. It took a microSD so I used it as an MP3 player too. Moto typically has great build quality and radios though they definitely have released some total junk phones along the way too, I think I had a V551(??) that was dog poop, and several moto phones the camera broke on for no reason, usually a hardware failure like one of the internal lenses becoming dislodged, even if the phone was never dropped.

My *personal opinion* is that Android was most stable, useful and hackable at version 2.3 and has had been becoming progressively less stable and ever more locked down since. I have a Nexus 7 that I just leave stock and let it autoupdate whenever it feels like it to see what the latest edition of Android and latest versions of all my apps always look like; I've watched in horror as android and the Android app ecosystem has become a bug ridden laggy crashy malware adware spyware filled unholy mess over the last 12 months, as bad as Windows 98/XP ever was. Previously, as an android user I had always felt a little bit... i don't know... "more savvy" than iPhone users because Android was (supposedly) less expensive and I could make it do anything I wanted. But with the update to 4.1 on my RAZR i, I could no longer WIFI tether (it could tether with 4.0 but then Moto locked out tethering HARD and no one has figured a way around it) and that just made me really POed.

Then I also thought about it and realized I had EIGHT android devices and I was spending a ton of money always buying new android phones because that was usually the only way I could run the latest OS. I've for three years always been waiting/hoping that I'll get the next version of android when it is released, and usually all my hopes were dashed. Yes I did all the cyanagenmod/etc reflashing stuff for a while but that's always a little risky and after 10 or so flashes constantly trying out roll your own OS turns into a real time consumer, often gives me new bugs when I was trying eliminate other old bugs, and for some devices, namely the RAZRi, sometimes just not an option. My original Moto RAZR has a locked bootloader that was never really worked around. I was getting so sick of waiting around all of the time.

And I was noticing that there were people with iPhones many years old still using them, still happy with them. I played with a friends iPhone 3GS a year ago and was impressed with how smooth it was even then with supposedly far less hardware than my RAZR, and how happy she still was with it - and I noticed how aggravated I was with my RAZR.

So WTF, two months ago I bought a new iPhone 5s 64gb. It was Very
Expensive... but not really compared to the highest end Moto X, which was the other phone I was considering.

At first it was super annoying, not intuitive at all coming from android, lots of the design decisions seemed stupid. But I stuck with it, finally got used to everything about 3 weeks ago, and now two months after purchase I can say from my heart, and my head, it just blows Android out of the water right at this time. It is ROCK SOLID in hardware build and software stability, an order of magnitude above any android devices. I just can't stress enough how stable ios is compared to android. It took me many weeks to figure out all the workarounds I needed to do stuff like tethering, swype, etc, but now it does everything I can do on android.

I have two phones (work/personal), and this week I needed a second phone to replace my Razr i (which now has a new issue of blurry focus camera that I fix by banging it with my hand... i never dropped it... sigh), so I I just bought a used perfect condition 64gb Iphone 5 for $400. Goodbye Android for now.

There are hundreds of teensy little software and hardware design decisions in the iPhone that just make it so *pleasant* to use all the time. It makes all versions of android seem so rough and unpolished when I use my other android devices.

In the long run I think the iPhones will be either a wash cost wise, or maybe a little cheaper because now I can instead of buying a new Android phone every few months in hopes of finally having one that is solid and stable, I'll likely keep these iPhones for 2-3+ years and I'm guaranteed years of the most recent OS, available as soon as announced. But cost aside, ios is just a completely stress free experience that lets me get on with life.

Oh one last thing, the responsiveness of the iPhone is *phenomenal* I read a few months ago this is because the electronic hardware itself for the touchscreen has about 1/3rd the lag time between touching the screen, and the OS getting the signal. It makes the display feel really really good all the time. Now when I use any android touch screen it just feels so slow and annoying. Battery life is at least double the RAZR i in my experience so far, mostly because there is never any crap running in the background that I can't turn off, like is always happening in android as soon as I add more than three apps.

I'm not an apple aficionado at all; as soon as I find something better than iPhone I'll jump ship immediately, but as far as I can tell iPhone 5s is the best there is right now.

tl;dr: the iPhone 5 and 5s are mindblowingly good compared to the hell and heartbreak that android has turned onto. YMMV

adddaamo

Oct 1, 2010
Unfortunately, I must agree. Apple is doing so many things better with iOS than Google with Android. I always liked Android for openness, community, tweaking abilities ... currently I even write soft for Android at work ... but still, I'm always waiting for new version of Android that will fix problems from current version, I'm looking for custom ROMS that will eliminate constant lag and solve other problems.
I liked Google because it was the best software company in the world, company that ideology I liked, but now ... it's changing. They've still got good software but ads are getting more aggressive than ever, Android is getting more and more closed, and it will be fully closed in future, so maybe it's time to start searching for something new. But anyway I think that Android will be the most popular OS for very, very long time.

cupioscire

Jul 24, 2012
Yeah, I have to say, that you have right with much things you've said, but you couldn't forget that iOS is build by apple, so they can perfectly fit the software to the hardware and vice versa. Android is open source and Google couldn't specify it for one device, it have to be as much stable as possible for a lot of devices, that is the problem. That's the same with every open source os.

centavar

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago
Well, I just made the switch from Razr I to the Moto G, just because I was offered a good price for my Razr (pristine condition) and couldn't resist.

Wasn't expecting much really, but it actually feels like a good upgrade. The screen is TONS better and with Kitkat the menu buttons now are completely hidden in most apps, making the screen really 4.5 inches. The overall feel is faster, especially with apps like Maps and Chrome. Games run faster as well, for example Asphalt 8 plays perfect on high settings, while on the Razr I will run only on low.

The downsides are plastic instead of the metal and kevlar on the Razr, the screen is not edge to edge and the camera is worse (also no 1080p video).

But for me the bigger and better display and the faster performance are worth it.

Reactions: xtr3m3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In my opinion the SD card slot is only needed, if the phone has insufficient internal memory. 16 GB is just not enough for today's needs. At least for me it is not. 32 and plus of storage is a must have. That's why I didn't get a new nexus device or will not get the Moto G.

Gesendet von meinem XT890 mit Tapatalk
    Well, I just made the switch from Razr I to the Moto G, just because I was offered a good price for my Razr (pristine condition) and couldn't resist.

Wasn't expecting much really, but it actually feels like a good upgrade. The screen is TONS better and with Kitkat the menu buttons now are completely hidden in most apps, making the screen really 4.5 inches. The overall feel is faster, especially with apps like Maps and Chrome. Games run faster as well, for example Asphalt 8 plays perfect on high settings, while on the Razr I will run only on low.

The downsides are plastic instead of the metal and kevlar on the Razr, the screen is not edge to edge and the camera is worse (also no 1080p video).

But for me the bigger and better display and the faster performance are worth it.
    After 3 days of using Moto G I'm back to RAZR I, I've really missed compact size and study body of my RAZR.
    Battery similar, kitkat speed similar. I Don't bother about CPU and GPU, Plus better camera and micro sd slot. XT890 win for me :good: