[Q] Making Calls/SMS with Google Voice

Search This thread

fortfive

Jun 4, 2014
Briefly, is there any way to do such a thing on a tablet?

Longly: I understand there were a couple of apps that could use my google voice number for VoIP calling, but that all ended a couple of weeks ago thanks to Google flipping an XMPP (?) switch.

The Google voice app does not run on my device (I am in contemplating/researching rooting and romming to get it going). But if it did, could I make calls from within that app? Would it do sms from within that app?

It appears that hangouts android will do sms on phone devices, but I have not found a way to enable it on my wifi only tablet. On my iOS device (don't hate--I have just bought my first Android device and am coming around), hangouts app will allow me to call direct with Google voice, but not sms. (I am painfully aware, as are many, that android hangouts does not have calling functionality. An odd state of affairs, it seems) The google voice app will allow me to sms with my google voice number, but not call. It calls my phone and and then completes the outgoing call. Is this how the google voice app works on an android phone device? Does it similarly dial your phone device if you are running the voice app on a wifi-only tablet?

Any other information you think is pertinent?

I am indebted to those who read and especially to those who reply.

Your pal,
fortfive