[ROOT] [INFO] Root Methods available for most Tab 4's

Search This thread
Turning this into a central root method & information thread as there are more than one root method available now as well as the issue of the lack of root for some models.

VROOT - Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 only

For the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 models there is currently one root method reported to work, it's a bit more complicated in that you have to go through extra steps to use your preferred SU app instead of the one that's included in the root method.

If you are interested the method is VROOT and here is a thread by ShinySide which explains how to use it:

The search continues for a better root method and you can check this thread for more info, If/when a better root is obtained I will update this post with the info.

Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 & 10.1 root methods

For the Galaxy Tab 8.0 and 10.1 models there are currently 2 root methods available. The first one that came out was the popular CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire and more recently is Towelroot by Geohot. Please support these devs by donating to them and/or buying their apps.

I'm listing Towelroot first because:
1. I've personally tested it and verified it works on my own Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi (SM-T330NU)
2. It seems to be easier (it was very easy)
3. It does not seem to trip the KNOX counter (did not for me in any case)

Towelroot

There is a new root method developed by Geohot called Towelroot.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/breaking-geohot-roots-the-verizon-galaxy-s5-with-towelroot/

Originally designed for the AT&T & Verizon Galaxy S5 and Note 3 it seems that this root method works on many other phones and devices. From what I understand it should work on most KitKat devices with a Kernel dated before 03 June 2014.

What this means is that even if you don't want to root right now but you want the option to root later you should not take an OTA update for your tablet unless you've verified that you can still root post-update. Likewise if you are rooted (no matter what method) it's recommended that you never take an OTA update because you should always assume that root will be lost (and may not be obtainable again) and in some extreme cases taking an OTA on a rooted device can brick your device.

I used Towelroot on my Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi (SM-T330NU) and it worked like a charm.

Here's the thread with more information which also includes Geohot's PayPal information.

CF-Auto-Root

Chainfire has released CF-Auto-Root for the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 and Galaxy Tab 4 10.1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52846251&highlight=sm-t330nu#post52846251

The files and instructions for how to use them are located on his site:
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Please make sure you read all the disclaimers and warnings on his site and make sure you get the correct Auto-Root for your device.

SM-T330 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi
SM-T330NU - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi
SM-T331 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 3G (HSPA)
SM-T335 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE
SM-T337T - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 T-Mobile
SM-T530 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 WiFi
SM-T530NU - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 WiFi
SM-T531 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 3G (HSPA)
SM-T535 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 LTE

I don't know what the difference is between the Tx30 and Tx30NU, just make sure you get the correct one for your tablet model.

If you have a carrier-specific version (if you got your tablet from AT&T for example) you may (probably do) have a different model number and you should triple check to make sure your model matches before attempting to use any of these files.

Your model number might be visible on a sticker on the back of the tablet (it was for me) but in any case you should be able to find it in Settings - General - About Device.

Hope this was helpful, all credit for these root methods goes tot he creators of the methods.

Last edited:

icantroot

Sep 12, 2014
error to me, when i'm trying to root.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,636

husky69

Oct 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
LG G6

1. I've personally tested it and verified it works on my own Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi (SM-T330NU)

At least I'm getting an error when I try to search for a new firmware, telling me that this firmware had been altered. Used towelroot on my SM-T530NU as well.

How can I tell if KNOX counter got up?

At least I'm getting an error when I try to search for a new firmware, telling me that this firmware had been altered. Used towelroot on my SM-T530NU as well.

How can I tell if KNOX counter got up?

So your OTA or most official updates will fail if you are rooted, it does't mean you have tripped KNOX.

To verify if you have or haven't tripped KNOX you boot into the bootloader, if it says "KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x0" that means you have not tripped KNOX, If it says "KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x1" then KNOX is tripped.

repey6

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turning this into a central root method & information thread as there are more than one root method available now as well as the issue of the lack of root for some models.

VROOT - Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 only

For the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 models there is currently one root method reported to work, it's a bit more complicated in that you have to go through extra steps to use your preferred SU app instead of the one that's included in the root method.

If you are interested the method is VROOT and here is a thread by ShinySide which explains how to use it:

The search continues for a better root method and you can check this thread for more info, If/when a better root is obtained I will update this post with the info.

For the Galaxy Tab 8.0 and 10.1 models there are currently 2 root methods available. The first one that came out was the popular CF-Auto-Root by Chainfire and more recently is Towelroot by Geohot. Please support these devs by donating to them and/or buying their apps.

Towelroot

There is a new root method developed by Geohot called Towelroot.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/breaking-geohot-roots-the-verizon-galaxy-s5-with-towelroot/

Originally designed for the AT&T & Verizon Galaxy S5 and Note 3 it seems that this root method works on many other phones and devices. From what I understand it should work on most KitKat devices with a Kernel dated before 03 June 2014.

What this means is that even if you don't want to root right now but you want the option to root later you should not take an OTA update for your tablet unless you've verified that you can still root post-update. Likewise if you are rooted (no matter what method) it's recommended that you never take an OTA update because you should always assume that root will be lost (and may not be obtainable again) and in some extreme cases taking an OTA on a rooted device can brick your device.

I used Towelroot on my Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi (SM-T330NU) and it worked like a charm.

Here's the thread with more information which also includes Geohot's PayPal information.

CF-Auto-Root

Chainfire has released CF-Auto-Root for the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 and Galaxy Tab 4 10.1
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52846251&highlight=sm-t330nu#post52846251

The files and instructions for how to use them are located on his site:
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Please make sure you read all the disclaimers and warnings on his site and make sure you get the correct Auto-Root for your device.

SM-T330 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi
    SM-T330NU - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 WiFi
    SM-T331 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 3G (HSPA)
    SM-T335 - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 LTE
    SM-T337T - Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 T-Mobile
    SM-T530 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 WiFi
    SM-T530NU - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 WiFi
    SM-T531 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 3G (HSPA)
    SM-T535 - Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 LTE

I don't know what the difference is between the Tx30 and Tx30NU, just make sure you get the correct one for your tablet model.

If you have a carrier-specific version (if you got your tablet from AT&T for example) you may (probably do) have a different model number and you should triple check to make sure your model matches before attempting to use any of these files.

Your model number might be visible on a sticker on the back of the tablet (it was for me) but in any case you should be able to find it in Settings - General - About Device.

Hope this was helpful, all credit for these root methods goes tot he creators of the methods.