[HOW TO] Restore Galaxy Nexus to Stock V2

Search This thread

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Untitled-1.jpg

This is a tutorial on how to return your Galaxy Nexus to stock if needed. This method uses the official images from Google

I am not to be held responsible if anything goes wrong when attempting this. This includes bricking your phone, flashing a bad image, causing WW3 etc. I am also not responsible for any files in this tutorial. They were all provided by other people.

There may be inaccuracies in this post that may lead to various things such as bricked devices so be warned. Let someone check it over first! If you see anything wrong, let me know and I will edit it!

What you need
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM Version
  • All the usual fastboot & ADB drivers etc
  • Fastboot
  • Official Google Image

Google Images
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Fastboot
DOWNLOAD

1) Take a Nandroid Backup if you have CWM installed

2) Extract the content of the Google Image

3) Copy the contents of the Fastboot download to the same folder as where you extract the Google Image too.

4) Boot your phone into the Bootloader mode

5) Open up Command Prompt or Terminal, navigate to the folder you've extracted it all too and enter the following commands waiting for each to finish
Windows
fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader
fastboot-windows flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
fastboot-windows -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

Linux
./fastboot-linux flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
./fastboot-linux reboot-bootloader
./fastboot-linux flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
./fastboot-linux -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

OSX
./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
./fastboot-mac flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
./fastboot-mac -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

6) The last step is to lock the bootloader. Restart the phone into the bootloader

7) Open CMD in the location of Superboot and type:
fastboot-windows oem lock

Last edited:

chandlerweb

May 12, 2010
Anyone other than the OP try this yet? If so, what state were you starting from (cwm installed, which custom rom etc) and did it work? did you need to do anything differently?

adnan.makarevic

Nov 9, 2009
Nothing Phone 2
It works, can confirm!!

1. copy the extracted rom folder to clockworkmod\backup\maguro_4.0.1 on your internal storage
2. boot in too cwm
3. (what i do) in mount and storage menu, format system/data/cache
4. install super wipe lite zip file
5. restore the maguro_4.0.1 rom

phone boot up, everything fine, first run wizard start..

6. reboot to fastboot
7. flash the stock recovery "fastboot flash recovery recover.img"
8. boot in to recovery to test
9. reboot the phone

i didnt lock the bootloader while i will only root the device and other things let on stock.

i came from unlocked bootloader, clockworkmod recovery and android revolution hd rom.. ;)

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
@evostance

Another possibility (as yours relies on having access to a backup/nandroid as well as somehow being able to access the SDCARD partition) which some people may not have

would be Peter Alfonsos "return to stock"way
http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/11/download-100-stock-fastboot-images-for.html

flash it via fastboot and you are golden

All you need is fastboot and the image

I tried that and it trashed my phone, so I had to restore to the zip above and all way fixed.
I think Peter might have changed his files now but not sure

adnan.makarevic

Nov 9, 2009
Nothing Phone 2
guys have one problem, after i sucessdully restore the stock rom over the method i wrote i try it over fastboot with the original oem files from peter, erase system and user partition over fastboot and flash it again with the files on his site.. everything seems to work, and i finish with the setup from my device bit then i see in google account my calendar didnt sync, there is no entry for it.. :( i try to delete the account and recreate it but without success.. anybody here a idea what can ne the problem?? any suggestions how to fix that?? i dont want make the whole proceess over recovery, i like this method more while they are really empty images and not a nandroid backup..

many thanks!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

adnan.makarevic

Nov 9, 2009
Nothing Phone 2
and a seccond problem.. when im listening music over power amp, when the screen goes off, the sound didnt play correct, like a scratch on a cd, jumps little bit.. here any sugestions?? (sorry for my english)

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
guys have one problem, after i sucessdully restore the stock rom over the method i wrote i try it over fastboot with the original oem files from peter, erase system and user partition over fastboot and flash it again with the files on his site.. everything seems to work, and i finish with the setup from my device bit then i see in google account my calendar didnt sync, there is no entry for it.. :( i try to delete the account and recreate it but without success.. anybody here a idea what can ne the problem?? any suggestions how to fix that?? i dont want make the whole proceess over recovery, i like this method more while they are really empty images and not a nandroid backup..

many thanks!!

I had the same issues hence why I wrote this tutorial as doing it this way was the only guaranteed way of getting it back to perfect stock

adnan.makarevic

Nov 9, 2009
Nothing Phone 2
hi there..

i report a small bug whit poweramp when the screen goes off, its very easy to fix it:

- start poweramp and go to settings
- press on audio engine
- press advanced twaks
- press audio buffer size
- i choose **large (+250ms)**

after them it plays very well.. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

but can we flash that on lte devices??

brb123

Feb 15, 2010
So, when I restore my Galaxy Nexus with this method, I will have my full warranty back?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Untitled-1.jpg

This is a tutorial on how to return your Galaxy Nexus to stock if needed. This method uses the official images from Google

I am not to be held responsible if anything goes wrong when attempting this. This includes bricking your phone, flashing a bad image, causing WW3 etc. I am also not responsible for any files in this tutorial. They were all provided by other people.

There may be inaccuracies in this post that may lead to various things such as bricked devices so be warned. Let someone check it over first! If you see anything wrong, let me know and I will edit it!

What you need
    • Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM Version
    • All the usual fastboot & ADB drivers etc
    • Fastboot
    • Official Google Image

Google Images
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Fastboot
    DOWNLOAD

1) Take a Nandroid Backup if you have CWM installed

2) Extract the content of the Google Image

3) Copy the contents of the Fastboot download to the same folder as where you extract the Google Image too.

4) Boot your phone into the Bootloader mode

5) Open up Command Prompt or Terminal, navigate to the folder you've extracted it all too and enter the following commands waiting for each to finish
    Windows
    fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
    fastboot-windows flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
    fastboot-windows -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

Linux
    ./fastboot-linux flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
    ./fastboot-linux flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
    ./fastboot-linux -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

OSX
    ./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
    ./fastboot-mac flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxkk6.img
    ./fastboot-mac -w update image-yakju-icl53f.zip

6) The last step is to lock the bootloader. Restart the phone into the bootloader

7) Open CMD in the location of Superboot and type:
    fastboot-windows oem lock
    It works, can confirm!!

1. copy the extracted rom folder to clockworkmod\backup\maguro_4.0.1 on your internal storage
    2. boot in too cwm
    3. (what i do) in mount and storage menu, format system/data/cache
    4. install super wipe lite zip file
    5. restore the maguro_4.0.1 rom

phone boot up, everything fine, first run wizard start..

6. reboot to fastboot
    7. flash the stock recovery "fastboot flash recovery recover.img"
    8. boot in to recovery to test
    9. reboot the phone

i didnt lock the bootloader while i will only root the device and other things let on stock.

i came from unlocked bootloader, clockworkmod recovery and android revolution hd rom.. ;)
    Fixed the commands in the OP....thanks for pointing them out :)
    How come the command is fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekj15.img but in the folder there is primekk15.img. If i use primekj15.img it says could not run but primekk15.img work.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Step 7 7) Open CMD in the location of Superboot and type:
    fastboot-window oem lock

window should have s at the end. So it should be fastboot-windows oem lock

and fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekj15.img is wrong, it should be fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekk15.img
    Your GN has SD card?! I canot find memory card slot in my one... :confused:

Lol. There's an internal folder called sdcard. That's what we refer to

I just unrooted today and the OTA ITL41F failed for me as well.

That's been pointed out. You need to download the recovery IMG from the google source and flash that. I'll edit the first post later

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    But the guarantee (after you've put your hands on system with ROMs, cwm, etc ...) and after you've done this procedure in case of failure, will be always accepted or you may get lucky?

If you revert back to stock then in 99% of cases, it's fine