[SPRINT] New 2nd update kills search functionality? FIX Available

Search This thread

lyndonguti

Sep 29, 2011
Milano
**** you apple...fight with dignity not this way...you are just making yourself shame to all smarthphone users! and that the advantage for android....android for all time!

Halmo

Oct 3, 2010
Waterloo
I don't see how Apple can claim the rights to this sort of search functionality Windows Vista had it before the iPhone came out. Not sure if Apple had it before that on their OSX but they don't seem to mind that Windows uses it. Not to mention I don't think the iPhone even got the feature until the 3g or 3gs.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
most users didn't care about these lawsuits because it didn't effect them

now it affects all of us android users and we need to fight back #boycott apple

filemaniac

Jun 29, 2008
Does anybody know what this is listed as in Titanium Backup so I can freeze it? The only thing searching for "Quick" brings up is Google Search, which I'm not certain is the right one to freeze. Thanks.

Never mind... I guess it really is just Google Search and freezing it won't help. So as long as I have a copy of the current .apk file, I can update, restore the .apk to /system/app and not worry about it being overwritten during a reboot?

Nucleotide

May 31, 2011
See what Apple are doing to this industry. They are destroying it. They are the absolute garbage this industry and I will never, for as long as I live, give another cent to those pieces of ****. Even hearing the name Apple makes me cringe. If I had to chose between a 5 year old Samsung flip phone and the latest iPhone, I'd go with the Samsung.

Absolutely furious! :(

Reactions: FERFEROS
G

GuestK00145

See what Apple are doing to this industry. They are destroying it. They are the absolute garbage this industry and I will never, for as long as I live, give another cent to those pieces of ****. Even hearing the name Apple makes me cringe. If I had to chose between a 5 year old Samsung flip phone and the latest iPhone, I'd go with the Samsung.

That's right I'm not feeding my future children Apple Sauce they made me hate Apple, made me hate apples. Now, some Sam-sauce sound pretty tasteful :) 100% enjoyable without the need to be forced fed.

F

FrepA

You (and the other people here) are not alone. This is of course not the first time Apple stole ideas and pretended they invented the wheel. It has a huge impact on how technology is allowed to progress and Apple plays a major bump in the road of true innovation these days. Usually when a company loses jobs it's a rather bad thing and it normally changes the way a company operates. Losing Jobs in this case didn't make a difference at all; the arrogance and sad attitude that propels the company is still very much alive. Apple is a cancer for true innovation and free marketing, and luckily more people and companies are starting to see things for what they really are.

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
You (and the other people here) are not alone. This is of course not the first time Apple stole ideas and pretended they invented the wheel. It has a huge impact on how technology is allowed to progress and Apple plays a major bump in the road of true innovation these days. Usually when a company loses jobs it's a rather bad thing and it normally changes the way a company operates. Losing Jobs in this case didn't make a difference at all; the arrogance and sad attitude that propels the company is still very much alive. Apple is a cancer for true innovation and free marketing, and luckily more people and companies are starting to see things for what they really are.

It's not that Apple stole Ideas it's that when software ip was made copyright-able they didn't allow existing art first claim on the work, so whoever filed first got the ip rights and the copyright office was and is woefully understaffed and accepts most claims unless there is some party protesting.. Judges around the world are recognize that the software and silly design patents are not valid. How can you patent a rectangle? The slope of a keyboard at 3 degrees and then sue for being 4 degrees? How many degrees before it's not 'like' your patent?? Touch on screens has been around way before Apple was even a company, almost all that ip on the interaction was never patented, hence the Apple vs HTC case in the UK that was tossed on the prior art by Quickie ( ?).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Lappie2010

Nov 9, 2009
I cant help but think Samsung or HTC, maybe both, have something up their sleeves for Apple right before the new IPhone
goes to be released. It would be absolutely wonderful to see a temporary injunction on the IPhone.

F

FrepA

It's not that Apple stole Ideas it's that when software ip was made copyright-able they didn't allow existing art first claim on the work, so whoever filed first got the ip rights and the copyright office was and is woefully understaffed and accepts most claims unless there is some party protesting.. Judges around the world are recognize that the software and silly design patents are not valid. How can you patent a rectangle? The slope of a keyboard at 3 degrees and then sue for being 4 degrees? How many degrees before it's not 'like' your patent?? Touch on screens has been around way before Apple was even a company, almost all that ip on the interaction was never patented, hence the Apple vs HTC case in the UK that was tossed on the prior art by Quickie ( ?).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

If you don't want to call it "stolen" then let's say they borrowed ideas and then ran to the patent office to make sure they can make money out of ideas created by someone else. Either way, if there is one company that abuses the patent system up to the point where development and true innovation are obstructed, then Apple should get yet another patent for that. This morning I reached a gentleman's agreement with a few other companies and developers to stop support for Apple related products as long as this insanity keeps growing. I know these are small steps, but it has to start somewhere, and complaining without doing anything at all is about as useful as nagging about being on fire while standing next to a river.

Anyways, I apologize for going off topic a bit too much.

shaun0207

Jan 8, 2008
B-more
Did anybody ask what do u do if your rooted? I didnt see it . I assume we cant accept the update

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

CogDancer

Sep 14, 2010
You won't be able to update unless you reinstall the stock bootloader. Then, you can root again using Team Epic's method, and replace the search APK with the one provided in the first post of this thread.

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
You won't be able to update unless you reinstall the stock bootloader. Then, you can root again using Team Epic's method, and replace the search APK with the one provided in the first post of this thread.

There are reports that using Vudoo Root will keep your root after the update. I think that the pro busybox has a similar function. I believe based on my reading of the apps is that they require a small partition on the internal storage so that they can protect themselves and the needed data from flashing.

doctorlirio

Apr 6, 2011
Madrid (Spain)
I don't know if it should be the people at the patent's office or the judges that allow this nonsense suing, but some people should be hanged by the balls for allowing all this.

Apple has just given me another reason (as if i didn't have enough...) to never buy any of their products and recommend everyone i know against them. Thanks, Apple.

The funny thing is... how many times was microsoft sued by international courts for monopolistic practices??? why is Apple not having those problems with even more aggressive practices? I remember microsoft having to pay one million dollar per day until they offered a special windows version which did not include IE for Europe... or having to add the option to install other browsers from other companies the first time you start windows... or the cases of JAVA and HTML, where microsoft lost, because they modified JAVA and HTML for IE and was not completely compatible with the open standards. I'd also like to know why Apple devices' bluetooth is not compatible with so many bluetooth devices from other companies... i thought bluetooth was published by IBM to be an open standard... am I mistaken?

There is something even more hilarious... Apple still exists because microsoft bought a big chunk of Apple stocks and also gave them a present of many millions to avoid Apple's bankruptcy, all because microsoft was afraid of the court trials they would have to face if their "competitor" went out of business. Right now there are tons of news on the internet showing many companies being forced by Apple to stop supplying Apple's competitors or stop producing their own competitive products... or else Apple would withdraw its contracts (all kinds of hardware suppliers are facing this, and no one says anything about it). Just check ASUS if you don't believe me. Apple Macbooks were produced by ASUS and Quanta, now ASUS is having the contracts retired because they build quality notebooks that are better than Apple's. In other words:

WHERE THE F.U.C.K ARE THE TRIALS AGAINST APPLE FOR MONOPOLISTIC PRACTICES????

Tomorrow i'm going to the patent's office, i'm going to register the concept of teletransportation... just in case someone manages to develop it. If that happens... then, i'll sue and i'll become one of the richest men in the world. :p

Hopefully history repeats itself, so in a few years Apple will be again out of the game because of its stupid policies. It happened in the computer world, they were practically taken out of business by windows, and i sincerely hope it happens soon in the phone and tablet environments. People will open their eyes sooner or later, and they will stop paying for the overpriced close environment "pay for anything you want to do... but only if we've decided you should be allowed to do it, otherwise you can't do it" that apple imposes to their customers.

End of rant. Sorry. :cool:

P.D: English is not my native language, so I apologize for the mistakes i've sure made writing this post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if this is true, this is bad news....

it fixed google wallet... for sure... Im not sure what it did to google search, but now we cant choose what to search... because we could choose apps, contacts, maps, etc... now it just searches google... maybe to avoid an apple lawsuit?

Edit:

to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

here is that file

Edit 2

WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM

This stops working after a reboot and you have to install the file again for it to work

Only thing I can think of is to root and replace the system file with the old one...not sure though

any suggestions?

Edit 3: How to make it stick. Must be rooted

NOTE: You need ROOT! and probably Root Explorer, so you can change permissions, I did it all through the phone, I'm sure you could also use adb but this seemed simpler. Also, I don't think this can in any way break your phone, but just to be safe, make a backup, at least in Titanium, and don't blame me if something goes wrong.

1) Download the apk at the beginning of this thread, place it on your SDcard (or phone) where you'll find it easily.
    2) Install root explorer (or equivalent, I used root explorer though)
    3) Go to /system/app and mount as R/W
    4) move GoogleQuickSearch.apk somewhere else, just so you have it if you need to restore it
    5) Go to where you placed the full-featured apk, copy/move it to /system/app
    6) Long-Click on GoogleQuickSearch.apk, select permissions, and set to rw-r--r-- (ie, row 1: yes yes no, row 2: yes no no, row 3: yes no no)
    7) Hit okay, mount R/O, and quit
    8) Go to Settings > Application Manager > All
    9) Select Google Search, and clear data/cache
    10) Select Google Services Framework, clear data/cache
    11) Reboot
    12) ???
    13) Profit!!!
    picked up by phandroid =) http://phandroid.com/2012/07/10/spr...search-app-attempts-to-prevent-apple-lawsuit/
    to fix it, install GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

here is that file
    Got it back!

Okay, so I'd lost my unified search functionality during the upgrade, but I replaced the castrated apk in system/app with the full-featured apk available in the first post of this thread, and several reboots later, the full-featured search functionality is still available. If you know how to switch them, go right ahead, if you don't, read below.

NOTE: You need ROOT! and probably Root Explorer, so you can change permissions, I did it all through the phone, I'm sure you could also use adb but this seemed simpler. Also, I don't think this can in any way break your phone, but just to be safe, make a backup, at least in Titanium, and don't blame me if something goes wrong.

1) Download the apk at the beginning of this thread, place it on your SDcard (or phone) where you'll find it easily.
    2) Install root explorer (or equivalent, I used root explorer though)
    3) Go to /system/app and mount as R/W
    4) move GoogleQuickSearch.apk somewhere else, just so you have it if you need to restore it
    5) Go to where you placed the full-featured apk, copy/move it to /system/app
    6) Long-Click on GoogleQuickSearch.apk, select permissions, and set to rw-r--r-- (ie, row 1: yes yes no, row 2: yes no no, row 3: yes no no)
    7) Hit okay, mount R/O, and quit
    8) Go to Settings > Application Manager > All
    9) Select Google Search, and clear data/cache
    10) Select Google Services Framework, clear data/cache
    11) Reboot
    12) ???
    13) Profit!!!

I've rebooted a dozen times and I still get the full app/contact/google search, no need to reinstall every reboot!
    For anyone without tasker that wants a temporary solution to this without rooting, I used the tasker app factory to create a stand alone apk file that will reinstall universal search upon boot. I would be happy to share it.
    I'm sorry but how the hell do you patent a search of apps, contacts and other items within a phone? It seems like apple is just going through processes that android has/had, sees that there is no patent for such a process and files for said patent acting as though they created it.

I really kept out of this apple lawsuit stuff but this is really getting out of hand, they are crippling development for everyone because they are running scared since Android is taking over. How do you patent a square/rectangle for a table? WTF?!

These patent judges are in apples pocket and its very obvious. The patent office is in apple pocket as well or they would have put an end to this crap a long time ago. Can't wait till apple starts suing people for eating apples because that is their logo.

Sorry end of rant.