[OUTDATED] Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 Update 3r1 (2010-06-26)

Search This thread

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
I finally had to give up and go back to 2.5. I was unable, even after a wipe and clean flash of dc 2.0.7.2. I nuked/repartitioned my SD card. I wiped everything on the phone multiple times. All I achieved was constantly getting a rebuilt dalvik every boot. I don't know what's wrong, or if it was something I did. logcat didn't show anything wrong...just the rebuild.

Sorry Tkirton. Tried everything I could think of to get around it.

Try 2.6.1...the fixes you tried to push through are in it plus other fixes.

But, if you're comfortable with 2.5, then that's okay.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
I'll mess with it tomorrow, I saw you posted that right after I made my entry. :)

Before you try...I think I may be seeing what you are seeing. The thing reverted my dalvik-cache.

Got a feeling that the same thing that is in Fresh 2.0d (which I had to make a workaround) is in DC 2.7.2. I now see the issue and am tracking it down. Should have a fix tomorrow for you (it will be 2.6.1 as well).

EDIT: Found the issue. I was trying to determine if the /data/dalvik-cache was a directory if it couldn't find the flag file (looks like this: if [ -d /data/dalvik-cache ];). While that looks fine, it doesn't behave as expected. Apparently, if you have a symbolic link called /data/dalvik-cache, it treats it as a directory as well (I guess that is due to it being linked to a directory). Changed the code to read: if [ ! -h /data/dalvik-cache ];, which says: if /data/dalvik-cache is not a symbolic link. Now it works as expected.

That was strange, because I wasn't seeing that in the Rom I was testing (which, oddly, was a 1.5 Rom since there was a lot of requests to make my version of A2SD compatible with 1.5 Roms).

I tested it on DamageControl 2.7.2, so I know it works now.

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

Apr 21, 2010
Boston
i tried flashing both 2.6.1 cache and 2.6.1 no cache on my rooted cliq, running Handler Exploit 1.5......when attempting to flash the .zips via recovery it says "error in install.sh" "run_program PACKAGE:install.sh" then it says "installation aborted"

-this occurs when it gets the the "copying files" stage of the .zip install
-again this happened for both versions of the .zip

anyone have any thoughts?

thank you in advance!

Last edited:

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Before you try...I think I may be seeing what you are seeing. The thing reverted my dalvik-cache.

Got a feeling that the same thing that is in Fresh 2.0d (which I had to make a workaround) is in DC 2.7.2. I now see the issue and am tracking it down. Should have a fix tomorrow for you (it will be 2.6.1 as well).

EDIT: Found the issue. I was trying to determine if the /data/dalvik-cache was a directory if it couldn't find the flag file (looks like this: if [ -d /data/dalvik-cache ];). While that looks fine, it doesn't behave as expected. Apparently, if you have a symbolic link called /data/dalvik-cache, it treats it as a directory as well (I guess that is due to it being linked to a directory). Changed the code to read: if [ ! -h /data/dalvik-cache ];, which says: if /data/dalvik-cache is not a symbolic link. Now it works as expected.

That was strange, because I wasn't seeing that in the Rom I was testing (which, oddly, was a 1.5 Rom since there was a lot of requests to make my version of A2SD compatible with 1.5 Roms).

I tested it on DamageControl 2.7.2, so I know it works now.

Sweet. Downloading now, let you know how it goes.

Edit:

Ok, downloaded it and flashed it...same as before. It's rebuilding dalvik each time. Plus it's force closing pretty much everything but sense itself when it finally does boot. Going back to 2.5 again.

Last edited:

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
What recovery are you using?

i tried flashing both 2.6.1 cache and 2.6.1 no cache on my rooted cliq, running Handler Exploit 1.5......when attempting to flash the .zips via recovery it says "error in install.sh" "run_program PACKAGE:install.sh" then it says "installation aborted"

-this occurs when it gets the the "copying files" stage of the .zip install
-again this happened for both versions of the .zip

anyone have any thoughts?

thank you in advance!

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Sweet. Downloading now, let you know how it goes.

Edit:

Ok, downloaded it and flashed it...same as before. It's rebuilding dalvik each time. Plus it's force closing pretty much everything but sense itself when it finally does boot. Going back to 2.5 again.

Need you to send me what you see in logcat when you boot. I know I fixed this issue since I'm running DC 2.7.2.

Note: I just rebooted and my dalvik-cache is holding.

EDIT: Try again, this time, send me the logcat before you move back to 2.5. E-mail address rtkirton at gmail.com

Last edited:

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Need you to send me what you see in logcat when you boot. I know I fixed this issue since I'm running DC 2.7.2.

Note: I just rebooted and my dalvik-cache is holding.

EDIT: Try again, this time, send me the logcat before you move back to 2.5. E-mail address rtkirton at gmail.com

Sent.

Thanks for looking. Not sure where the issue is. But in the logcat I sent you I'm showing this:

Code:
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [*] Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.6.1
I/HTCIPC  (   61): Android IPC Server (C) HTC Corporation 2009
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Searching for Mount Point...
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [!] Mount point found..no further action required.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Checking for ext partition
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [!] Ext partition found.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [!] Skipping check due to dalvik-cache symbolic link
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Mounting ext partitions
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [*] Ext partition mounted.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Checking for Fresh 2.0 Startup Sequence...
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Searching for Swap Partition
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Swap Partition Found...Turning on swap.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Searching for Data directory on ext partition.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Checking Dalvik-Cache Link.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [X] Dalvik Cache not symbolically linked, but Dalvik
I//system/bin/sh(   66):     Cache flag file not found. Correcting...
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Clearing /system/sd/dalvik-cache.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Removing Dalvik Cache directory.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Creating Dalvik Cache symlink.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [*] Dalvik Cache is now stored on EXT partition.
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Searching for Dalvik-cache directory on ext partiti
on
I//system/bin/sh(   66): [ ] Searching for App directory on ext partition

qngds

Mar 19, 2008
Tampa
2.6.1 works fine on Gumbo 1.5c. Was using an assortment of 2.1 roms, but could never get an audiofix that worked completely.

Oh well, nothing wrong with Gumbo :)

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
just flashed over fresh 2.0d using a2sd built in that rom and my phone locks up during the boot animation [the animation stops animating haha]...any thoughts? wait it out? its been 2 minutes...

now been 15 minutes, something is wrong. i'll reflash the zip and report back

Last edited:

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
just flashed over fresh 2.0d using a2sd built in that rom and my phone locks up during the boot animation [the animation stops animating haha]...any thoughts? wait it out? its been 2 minutes...

now been 15 minutes, something is wrong. i'll reflash the zip and report back

Perform a nandroid restore and download the nocache version. I just talked to TrevE (who also builds an Apps2SD that is a bit more feature packed than mine). He was stating the 2.1 Roms (the ones that have the 2.6.29 kernel) don't have the timing mechanisms that were present in 1.5 (probably wasn't put in during porting). Trying to move everything at once while dalvik is running is causing an instability issue. Using the nocache version will prevent the dalvik-cache from moving on boot (or it should).

redram38

Nov 10, 2009
Is this what would cause my phone to hang at the first HTC screen after flashing this? Would it work to move the dalvik after the first boot is complete?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Is this what would cause my phone to hang at the first HTC screen after flashing this? Would it work to move the dalvik after the first boot is complete?

Its possible. The a2sd-2.6.1-nocache version is suppose to do just that...keep dalvik-cache from moving. You would have to manually execute the a2sd cache command to initiate the move.

This is happening more on the 2.1 roms based on the 2.6.29 kernel. It looks like it is okay on 1.5 Roms and possibly 2.1 roms based on kernel 2.6.27.

I'm thinking on redoing everything to compensate.

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
how would i incorporate this in a rom im building off of fresh 2.0d? would i have to use the no-cache version than have the users move the dalvik manually via command? i tired to build in trevs gui app and it doesn't work.

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
Perform a nandroid restore and download the nocache version. I just talked to TrevE (who also builds an Apps2SD that is a bit more feature packed than mine). He was stating the 2.1 Roms (the ones that have the 2.6.29 kernel) don't have the timing mechanisms that were present in 1.5 (probably wasn't put in during porting). Trying to move everything at once while dalvik is running is causing an instability issue. Using the nocache version will prevent the dalvik-cache from moving on boot (or it should).

tried that and that failed too, i then noticed flipz/toast released a new OC rom so i decided to just wipe/flash and try that. it's pretty nice, but now I was *hoping* someone can direct me to a 2.1 rom w/ a working camera that will work with the way my SD is now setup for the new dev rom aka EXT4 so i can nandroid back and forth at will....cause Fresh 2.0D + this release isn't working for me in any which way. thanks everyone.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
how would i incorporate this in a rom im building off of fresh 2.0d? would i have to use the no-cache version than have the users move the dalvik manually via command? i tired to build in trevs gui app and it doesn't work.

With Fresh 2.0d, I put it in two locations:

/system/bin/a2sd (this is for user instructions...normally this is where the system launches)
/system/etc/init.d/04apps2sd (this is where Fresh 2.0d launches the a2sd from).

There is code in place that will detect where you launch it from (in your case /system/etc/init.d/04apps2sd) and, if it sees 04apps2sd and that the /data/dalvik-cache directory is a physical directory, it will prevent the dalvik-cache move routines from launching (it will literally create the .nocache flag on /system/sd...but only if it can actually mount the ext partition.)

So, when you build your rom, obviously you should reset the dalvik-cache to be a directory again during your ROM installation.

Good luck and, if you need assistance, let me know.

Top Liked Posts