Need Help with ROMs

Search This thread

Aionism

Jul 20, 2014
Karachi
Hello,
I have an AT&T Moto X, It's sim-unlocked so I have a different carrier (you can check my details on my profile). The condition in which I got this phone is:

It's running a 4.2.2 Rogers CA rom.

Can I update this to a 4.4.2 AT&T rom and still use my phone?
Or am I screwed and stuck with 4.2.2 (because obv the system update says that there is no update avl. at this time).

And.. How do I remove the Google bloatware from my rom? I've tried ES Root Explorer, TiBu, but they reappear when I reboot.
I prefer have a rom without any bloatware and mini gapps. But I love the Active Display.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Because you say it is an ATT Phone, but running Rogers CA rom, I have some questions for your BEFORE any advice will be offered...

1. On the phone go to App Drawer -> Settings -> About phone... What is listed as the SYSTEM VERSION.
  2. Next, what does the BACK of the phone look like or say? Does it have the ATT logo on it? Does it have SMALL HARD TO READ Fine print at the bottom that says a model number? Or did it come with the original box that has the IMEI and Model on it? (the model would be XT1060, XT1053, XT1058, etc)
  3. What carrier are you intending to use it with?
  4. Power off the phone, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously NOTE: you may need to have the USB cable disconnected first. This will bring you into the AP Fastboot Flash Mode screen (aka bootloader or fastboot mode). It will say DEVICE IS... unlocked or locked. Which is it?
I am asking these questions to know...
  • Exactly what model X you have
  • if it is bootloader unlocked
  • exactly what rom version is on there.

As for removing bloat, and having that survive reboot, you need to root and disable write protection. The answers to my questions will help determine IF it can be done on your phone, and what process to use.

Last edited:
D

Darth

Rogers also is a xt1058. But unlike the AT&T, it's bootloader can be unlocked on motos site. Also there is no carrier branding.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Are you sure it's an AT&T phone is my point. ?

Aionism

Jul 20, 2014
Karachi
Because you say it is an ATT Phone, but running Rogers CA rom, I have some questions for your BEFORE any advice will be offered...

1. On the phone go to App Drawer -> Settings -> About phone... What is listed as the SYSTEM VERSION.
  2. Next, what does the BACK of the phone look like or say? Does it have the ATT logo on it? Does it have SMALL HARD TO READ Fine print at the bottom that says a model number? Or did it come with the original box that has the IMEI and Model on it? (the model would be XT1060, XT1053, XT1058, etc)
  3. What carrier are you intending to use it with?
  4. Power off the phone, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously NOTE: you may need to have the USB cable disconnected first. This will bring you into the AP Fastboot Flash Mode screen (aka bootloader or fastboot mode). It will say DEVICE IS... unlocked or locked. Which is it?
I am asking these questions to know...
  • Exactly what model X you have
  • if it is bootloader unlocked
  • exactly what rom version is on there.

System Version
139.12.36.ghost_row.RCI.en.CA
(according to SBF site, this rom is listed as Rogers CA)

I got the phone from a relative, the box imei matches the phone.
The back of the phone has the AT&T logo (a ball), and it says Model: XT1058 and fcc id blah blah
The carrier I'm using currently Ufone (Pakistan).

Says Device is Locked.
Rom is stock I guess? Loaded with Google Bloatware..
Android 4.2.2

Attachments

• gbrFNDI.png
    gbrFNDI.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 36

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
System Version
139.12.36.ghost_row.RCI.en.CA
(according to SBF site, this rom is listed as Rogers CA)

I got the phone from a relative, the box imei matches the phone.
The back of the phone has the AT&T logo (a ball), and it says Model: XT1058 and fcc id blah blah
The carrier I'm using currently Ufone (Pakistan).

Says Device is Locked.
Rom is stock I guess? Loaded with Google Bloatware..
Android 4.2.2
A couple of things...

I am not 100% sure about the ability to flash the ROM for your model phone from a different carrier when the bootloader is locked... i.e. can you flash an ATT XT1058 with Rogers XT1058 rom SAFELY and successfully. I know, for example, that flashing roms between models (say XT1052 with XT1053) does require unlocked bootloader or it will immediately fail, plus is risky when you try and flash back.

Therefore i don't want to give you the wrong advice on flashing anything and will wait for someone else to jump in.

Until then.. some info you'll need to understand for removing "bloat"

The Moto X is a Google Certified device, so it will contain all the Google Apps, like Chrome, GMail, Google+, Google Play, Google Calendar, Google Maps, etc.That typical isn't considered bloat because most people buying an Android phone want to use Google's services. In the USA, wireless carriers like Verizon add their own bloat like VZNavigator, VZ Tones, VZ Protect, NFL Mobile, IMDB, VZ Cloud, etc., things MOST of their customers don't use, so it is considered bloat. The ATT ROM is filled with bloat of their own.

Moto freely gives out the bootloader unlock code for the Rogers XT1058 on their web site. BUT for the ATT XT1058, the bootloader is locked, and Moto DOES NOT give out the bootloader unlockcode. The only way to get it is the China Middleman (see the thread in the general section).

Unlocking the bootloader makes the difference in how you can root. Once you unlock the bootloader you have write protection disabled. So after you root, you can modify, delete, rename, etc files in /System and the like, and those changes will survive reboot.

If you can't unlock your bootloader, and are on Roms with Android version 4.4 (aka 4.4.0) and below, you can use SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection. But once you get on Android 4.4.2, you lose the ability to disable write protection so options like Pie, Towel or TowelPieRoot, are temporary, don't survive reboot, don't allow write access to /system, etc. And once you have 4.4.4 you can't even root. In other words, if you have a locked bootloader and really want to root and disable write protection, you want to stay on 4.4.0, and never upgrade.

Aionism

Jul 20, 2014
Karachi
Hey, thanks for replying. Is there any chance that in the near future Motorola may support AT&T bootloader unlocking? I think its a really bad **** move by AT&T to limit us like this. So pretty much I'm screwed with 4.2.2 until theres a way to unlock the boot loader. The China middleman is kinda expensive for me. But I'll give it a try when I'm done saving up 45$

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Hey, thanks for replying. Is there any chance that in the near future Motorola may support AT&T bootloader unlocking? I think its a really bad **** move by AT&T to limit us like this. So pretty much I'm screwed with 4.2.2 until theres a way to unlock the boot loader. The China middleman is kinda expensive for me. But I'll give it a try when I'm done saving up 45$
No chance we will see the position from ATT, Verizon and Republic Wireless change such that Moto can give out bootloader unlock codes via the web site like they do for Sprint, Rogers, Etc.

Yeah, with a locked bootloader, the highest you can if you want write protection disabled is 4.4.0 (aka 4.4).

Aionism

Jul 20, 2014
Karachi
Solved!

I installed the 4.4.2 rom by the fastboot method described in the "Return to 100% Stock" thread.
Everything works.

However.. I may not be able to use the China Middleman to unlock my bootloader..
my phone was made on "08 - 25 - 2013"

Last edited: