Media server app eating battery

Search This thread

chnacat

Nov 11, 2013
media server app eating battery

just got my moto g. not running skype, or snapchat or anything really. no music, don't have an sd card. and media server app is sucking my battery dry.

any help is greatly appreciated. i haven't even really gotten a chance to use the phone yet. just charged it up and it's sitting on my desk, draining battery.

vijay87

Dec 16, 2013
As mentioned here, I removed my latest version Skype and installed the older version. Now the media server has stopped eating my battery.

I observed a strange thing. Even when I keep my WiFi turned off, when I check the battery usage history details, it shows as if I had my WiFi turned ON all the time. Is anyone else facing this issue? or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 257
Reactions: eemgee

vijay87

Dec 16, 2013
just got my moto g. not running skype, or snapchat or anything really. no music, don't have an sd card. and media server app is sucking my battery dry.

any help is greatly appreciated. i haven't even really gotten a chance to use the phone yet. just charged it up and it's sitting on my desk, draining battery.

How come your network provider name is not displayed in the status bar??

hemantkarandikar

Apr 21, 2011
In my case the culprit was Migrate app

Battery life is good on my phone but I've noticed that something called "media server" app is eating much more battery than the screen.
Is this normal ?

I didn't have skype. I tried rescanning media files(through rescan app) yet the problem persisted. There was huge battery drain due to mediaserver. This was traced to media files sitting in 'emulated' folder after transferring media files from my old phone to G using Migrate app. Factory reset and using windows pc for file transfer into phones Music folder solved the problem. I now have over 2 GB of mp3 files, 200 MB of pics and videos. No problem. Battery lasts very well.

ksuuk

Apr 23, 2012
Tallinn
I have read the thread but i dont want to remove snapchat or Skype ^^ yes i have, where is it located ? not in system/app ?

Downgrade SkyPe, use some app, for example https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SystemCleanup.Inteks.org&hl=en or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.disableservice&hl=en and try to find out which app contains that wakelock.

It seems built in default Camera.app, so You may try fist disable Camera.app some activities, or use some alternative Camera app.

umb

Feb 8, 2008
For my Moto g it was Skype. As soon as I un-installed it the Media server stopped and the time device was awake started reducing.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Guys, install CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to see what app(s) shows unusual activity`s and prevent the cpu from going into deep sleep.

nevis

Apr 11, 2012
Any workaround a for snapchat?

Don't want to delete it but mediaserver using 50% of my battery.

Shriker

Dec 4, 2010
For me it was Skype too but the slightly odd thing was that i force stopped it and then uninstalled it and it was still doing it until i rebooted. What an utter waste of a night stopping maybe 50 processes, then checking and deleting all media files etc before finding this page. Anyway thanks to the explorers that went bravely before me for the answer.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
There is a script on XDA that will kill 'Media Server' once an hour. Perhaps it can be incorporated into custom ROMs in the future if enough people want it.

Code:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050252

Last edited:
Reactions: denzel09

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I uninstalled it

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
    I have the same problem. I have just cleaned the data of Media Storage app, hope it works.
    qcamera2factory might be the culprit

Hi guys,

as mentioned in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545970

a program called qcamera2factory might be causing this. It shows up as media server in the battery settings (maybe because it calls the media server all the time). This would also explain why snapchat is causing the battery drain, as it is a camera app.

Using Better Battery Stats, it shows that qcamera2factory is clearly keeping my phone from going to deep sleep.

Ideas, anyone?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ToySJ0v.png
    this issue is not directly related to Skype, but to any app using the camera

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
    As mentioned here, I removed my latest version Skype and installed the older version. Now the media server has stopped eating my battery.

I observed a strange thing. Even when I keep my WiFi turned off, when I check the battery usage history details, it shows as if I had my WiFi turned ON all the time. Is anyone else facing this issue? or am I doing something wrong?