Who needs Carplay or Android Auto if you have a Moto X?

Search This thread

bleach168

Apr 14, 2010
Moto X works great with the bluetooth controls in my car. With the combination of touchless controls and Motorola assist, I can listen to music, send texts, make phone calls, get weather reports, get sports scores, etc without taking the phone out of my pocket.

The only issue is the screen is a bit small for navigation.

If I wanted a bigger screen I would rather put a Nexus 7 or Ipad Mini in the dash. I wish automakers would just do that instead and just configure the software to better suit driving conditions.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
True but the problem is I don't always ride around with bluetooth media turned on. I like to listen to radio talk shows, so if I have the radio on, I won't get anything through bluetooth streaming(music, google now, etc). My calls come through of course, nothing audio because the car is on radio mode. So yes, it's useful if you're always on media/bluetooth streaming mode, but if not than not so much.

Reactions: vikramkhalsa

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
In dash system is more elegant than having a moto x mounted on your windshield. Pressing a button while driving is easier than saying okay Google now, especially while listening to audio. 7" display is better than 4.7. Don't get me wrong, I use the moto x in exactly the fashion I've described above but a cleaner solution is always welcomed.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
In dash system is more elegant than having a moto x mounted on your windshield. Pressing a button while driving is easier than saying okay Google now, especially while listening to audio. 7" display is better than 4.7. Don't get me wrong, I use the moto x in exactly the fashion I've described above but a cleaner solution is always welcomed.

biggiestuff wants bigger stuff in his car.
lol :)

tapa'd on my moto x

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm just waiting for the new screen casting for Chromecast to start working with the Moto X.

Once that happens my chromecast is going into my car and being patched into my factory nav screen.

Boom! Google NAV, Pandora, Netflix, Plex, Google Play Music, etc... It's gonna be nice!

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm just waiting for the new screen casting for Chromecast to start working with the Moto X.

Once that happens my chromecast is going into my car and being patched into my factory nav screen.

Boom! Google NAV, Pandora, Netflix, Plex, Google Play Music, etc... It's gonna be nice!

Are you going to put a router in your car to? How are you going to cast it? I thought the screen casting works over the wifi network.

bleach168

Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, I think the ideal solution is to have a dumb screen that just mirrors your phone. It's cheap and effective. Too bad they will never do it because they don't want you watching Netflix while driving.

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Are you going to put a router in your car to? How are you going to cast it? I thought the screen casting works over the wifi network.

Turn on wifi hotspot on my phone and let the chromecast connect to it. I can't remember if I was able to control the chromecast like that or not. I tested a few scenarios. Worst case I just use another device to control it while my phone is being the router/internet access.

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Turn on wifi hotspot on my phone and let the chromecast connect to it. I can't remember if I was able to control the chromecast like that or not. I tested a few scenarios. Worst case I just use another device to control it while my phone is being the router/internet access.

That seems more trouble than just connecting your phone to the Android auto head unit. Less functionality than mirroring but easier. Might as well just plug in a miracast adapter into your system.

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
That seems more trouble than just connecting your phone to the Android auto head unit. Less functionality than mirroring but easier. Might as well just plug in a miracast adapter into your system.

Well I have the chromecast already and don't have a miracast dongle, so the Chromecast is actually the easier and cheaper solution.

Plus I like the additional functionality beyond screen casting. Like what if I wanted to get Netflix going on the screen but still have my phone available...

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
Well I have the chromecast already and don't have a miracast dongle, so the Chromecast is actually the easier and cheaper solution.

Plus I like the additional functionality beyond screen casting. Like what if I wanted to get Netflix going on the screen but still have my phone available...
Hmm chrome cast in a car... This does seem interesting. Basically it sounds like android auto, but without the screen being disabled during connection.

I think I got a new project idea to play with now. Lol

tapa'd on my moto x

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

It's still a lot of work. YOu have to get into the car, enable your hotspot so chromecast can work, put that phone aside and use a 2nd phone or tablet to cast to the chromecast?

I have more faith in the devs just figuring out how to mirror your screen to android auto while connected to your phone. :).

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
Wouldn't hosting a hotspot on his (primary) device create a LAN that his phone and chrome cast could communicate through? Thus not needing a router or secondary phone, as well as still having mobile data connectivity...

Will a chrome cast detect an android device like this?

tapa'd on my moto x

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Wouldn't hosting a hotspot on his (primary) device create a LAN that his phone and chrome cast could communicate through? Thus not needing a router or secondary phone, as well as still having mobile data connectivity...

Will a chrome cast detect an android device like this?

tapa'd on my moto x

The device hosting the hotspot wouldn't be able to cast to the chromecast you would need an additional device connected to the hotspot to be able to cast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
oh one new feature hitting the chromecast is for devices NOT on the same wireless network to send stuff to be casted to it. All you need to know is a PIN code from the Chromecast.

This will let it work in the car perfectly. It can connect to the hotspot on the phone and my phone can still send it commands over the internet and not a local network.

chrisp6825

Mar 13, 2009
Though that may work, it's just such a... redundant workaround... Lol
In theory, they should have a common subnet across the wlan adapters. I see no reason they can't talk across that, other than software imposed restrictions.

tapa'd on my moto x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    True but the problem is I don't always ride around with bluetooth media turned on. I like to listen to radio talk shows, so if I have the radio on, I won't get anything through bluetooth streaming(music, google now, etc). My calls come through of course, nothing audio because the car is on radio mode. So yes, it's useful if you're always on media/bluetooth streaming mode, but if not than not so much.

biggiestuff wants bigger stuff in his car.
    lol :)

tapa'd on my moto x

I'm from Texas, bigger is better! ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk