[Q] How's kitkat?

Search This thread

vex390

Sep 6, 2012
How is everyone liking the KitKat Roms?

I'm thinking of upgrading because I'm getting pretty bad battery life with AJK 4.9 and Supernexus 2.0 (Android 4.1.2). I just got a new battery for my phone and that's when I realized that it wasn't my battery that was the problem.

BUT

My phone's charging port broke recently. Like, the innards of the port make a snap sound and fell out. So I have no USB functions on my phone any more so if my phone bricks mid update, I'm SOL. Also I am swapping batteries out half way through the day because my phone consumes power too fast.

So, any recommendations on KitKat kernels? Roms? I looked at RenderBroken's but I'm not sure if he's in the process of putting a new one up or what. The only downloads on his sight for the i777 kernels were in the "Old Builds" folder.

Also, doesn't holding the power button and both volume buttons boot into recovery? Because it's only going into Odin.

Preferences on ROM's?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I'm sorry, I have a difficult time believing AJK kernel is the reason behind your battery woes. That kernel is very likely the most stable, tweakable, battery-friendly kernel ever made for our device, so if you are getting bad results with that... well, nothing else is going to improve matters.

A few things: stay in your current setup and run Better Battery Stats and Wakelock Detector. Between those two free apps you'll be able to see EXACTLY what's causing your problems.

KK roms take a bit more toll on the battery, and require a lot of tweaking to get things under control, due to the framework changes Google made. If you're worried about battery life you may be better off staying on JB until you discover the real cause of your battery problems.

vex390

Sep 6, 2012
I'm sorry, I have a difficult time believing AJK kernel is the reason behind your battery woes. That kernel is very likely the most stable, tweakable, battery-friendly kernel ever made for our device, so if you are getting bad results with that... well, nothing else is going to improve matters.

A few things: stay in your current setup and run Better Battery Stats and Wakelock Detector. Between those two free apps you'll be able to see EXACTLY what's causing your problems.

KK roms take a bit more toll on the battery, and require a lot of tweaking to get things under control, due to the framework changes Google made. If you're worried about battery life you may be better off staying on JB until you discover the real cause of your battery problems.

I'm not worried about battery life so much as I just want to get through most of my day without having to swap batteries (which are brand new mind you). I updated to SuperNexus 3.0 so we'll see if there's any improvement of battery life.

What do you think about KitKat so far though?

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I'm not worried about battery life so much as I just want to get through most of my day without having to swap batteries (which are brand new mind you). I updated to SuperNexus 3.0 so we'll see if there's any improvement of battery life.

I would advise you to stay off of Supernexus roms; they've long been abandoned and 3.0 especially was buggy. Try Renders' CM builds if you're wanting supported stable builds, or look in the ported section. Overall KK has performed great for me.

vex390

Sep 6, 2012
I would advise you to stay off of Supernexus roms; they've long been abandoned and 3.0 especially was buggy. Try Renders' CM builds if you're wanting supported stable builds, or look in the ported section. Overall KK has performed great for me.

Ahhh but that means I have to switch kernels because I'm using AOSP. What about Render's 4.4 kernel? I looked at his thread but the link to the download only shows old versions. Are there any other 4.4 kernels working?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No, his kernels are great, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you thoroughly read what's required to make the jump to KK before you attempt it.