Simple Guide for Rooting (Tweaks Coming Soon)

Search This thread

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
I owe much credit to toastcfh, none of this would be possibly without his work on originally rooting the EVO.

Getting Root & Recovery Mode
(My version, dumbed down even more)

You have three options with rooting:
1) Toasts Rooted ROM - Missing Apps in Market
2) Rooted Stock ROM - No 4G Support
3) Unrevoked Root Patch - No system access in recovery (can't remove sprint apps, etc)

To get a rooted stock ROM, you have to start with Toasts, instructions below; you can find details after.
If you want the Unrevoked Root patch, install a file browser on your EVO and install this.

1. Copy this to the root folder of the SD card, you can do this by syncing the Evo as a disc and just copying in windows.

2. Shut off the Evo, and hold the "volume down" button while powering it on until you see a white screen. Every question it asks, just answer yes. DO NOT UNPLUG, let it finish at all costs, no matter how long it takes.

3. Rename the file you copied to the SD card. (to avoid accidental re-flash and save it for later)

4. Download this and unzip to anywhere of you liking on your desktop. Run the setup, if it asks to accept and install a bunch of stuff, hit cancel, you wont be needing most of it. Select available packages and it will show a repository url, the actual url is irrelevant and will be google's be default...we want to expand the list and select SDK Platform 2.1. Accept an install the selection.
What you just did is installed the Android SDK which includes adb, a shell connector for your phone that we need to operate in recovery mode.

5. Hold the Windows key and press "R", type CMD in the run box. (Run the task with Administrative privileges if there is an option)
Type "cd " in the CMD window, do not forget the trailing space, it is important and DO NOT HIT ENTER yet.
Now, with that CMD windows open, go to the folder you installed the android sdk. There will be a "tools" folder, drag the tools folder into the cmd window.
Press enter, this will set your working directory to the tools folder.

6. If you have not installed drivers for your Evo, there is a folder that comes of the sd card called "HTC-Sync", run the setup in there and it will install sufficient drivers automatically.
After drivers are setup sync the phone using the HTC Sync mode, this will ensure we can control the phone using adb.
Go to your CMD window and type "adb reboot recovery", you will see your phone reboot...it will show a red warning icon on the screen afterwards, this is perfectly normal and good to see such.

7. Your phone should not be in recovery mode, but the filesystem will be offline. Download this to setup the shell for us before we can mount the filesystem. Run "recovery-windows.bat", if you are using Vista or Win7, make to sure right click the file and "Run as Administrator"...you will see another CMD window popup and do some work, just leave it open. You should now have the shell setup in Recovery Mode on your Evo.

8. Go back to your original CMD window we setup, type "adb shell" and hit enter, this will set all commands to work right on the phone. You should see a line with just "#", that is what we want.
Now type "mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" and hit enter.
You should now have your Evo in recovery mode with a shell setup and filesystem mounted. This is where we can begin making changes.

Now that this has all been setup, you may want to go back after making some changes.
Repeat steps 5-8 to re-enter recovery mode with the filesystem mounted.

If you want to continue and do the stock update, check here.
Basically, copy that file to the SD and do steps 5-7.
Then use the onscreen (on the EVO Recovery Mode) to "Flash from ZIP" and select the rooted stock rom update.
WARNING: You must clear user data if the update creates issue, you will know right away.

Last edited:

thorpe24

Feb 17, 2010
so this is a third way of rooting, if i used a different way how do i get rid of it and use yours, i'm so tired and confused.

mj41374

Nov 6, 2007
Michigan
root rom and activesync?

I'm a complete noob here but: By using this method do I still retain the ability to run ActiveSync/Exchange support? (Didn't think this was in the SDK Platform 2.1)
What about Sense?

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
What the crap is up with the title of this thread? How us this a tweak or an optimization?

Good noob friendly guide, kinda tldr, but what I did readlooked good!

Change ur title

adeyo

Mar 31, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
Neotelos_com; [B said:
You have two options with rooting:
1) Toasts Rooted ROM - Missing Apps in Market
2) Rooted Stock ROM - No 4G Support[/B]

Any thought about the third option (i.e. unrevoked, new sticky, apk??) will it do the same things? i read users aren't losing full market, 4g etc.? Someone much smarter than me please weigh in.

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
Any thought about the third option (i.e. unrevoked, new sticky, apk??) will it do the same things? i read users aren't losing full market, 4g etc.? Someone much smarter than me please weigh in.

Yes, adding in right now...just tested and it works well.
I need to check if it allows things to be changed in recovery mode (which is important for removing the Sprint bloatware)

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Yes, adding in right now...just tested and it works well.
I need to check if it allows things to be changed in recovery mode (which is important for removing the Sprint bloatware)

If you have root at all, and you have "rw" permissions for "system". You should be able to remove sprint apps when the phone is booted, assuming you dont have root while in recovery.

Is something different on the Evo that im missing?

can you not do this

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
ls

Then remove the apps like so

rm NameOfApp.apk
rm NameOfApp.odex

Not saying this will all work.. But if you have root, shouldnt this work to remove sprint apps.

Last edited:

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
If you have root at all, and you have "rw" permissions for "system". You should be able to remove sprint apps when the phone is booted, assuming you dont have root while in recovery.

You can make changes like that but it will not actually save to the NAND.
So...you can remove, but it will come back after reboot.

blu3g

Feb 8, 2010
Nice write up. The only problem is, I don't have the sync software on my sd card because the best buy employee knew about the evo's sd card problem and formatted it, erasing everything on the card. I checked htc's site and they had the drivers for download, but it keeps giving me an error saying it's not compatible. I'm using windows 7 64bit. Any ideas guys?

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine

Is something different on the Evo that im missing?

can you not do this

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
ls

Then remove the apps like so

rm NameOfApp.apk
rm NameOfApp.odex

Not saying this will all work.. But if you have root, shouldnt this work to remove sprint apps.

you CAN remove apps like that, using toast's custom recovery. if you do your shell, and mount, in recovery, using adb, you can go to /system/app and rm whatever you want (be careful not to remove anything important, probably wise to pull whatever first, in case you need to push it back)

i had problems when i did an rm on a file, but that is because apparently i forgot to rm it's info in /data/data too. word to the wise

xstingstreetx

Sep 9, 2009
Cedar Lake IN
New android user here!
So to me it seems like all three have something they're not able to do. Seems best to wait for a root release that your able to take full advantage of, right?
I'm a former WM flasher :), I need to learn android still. I want the free hot spot/tethering, more battery life as I need 2 batteries to make it through the day -.- (I kill apps constantly, 4g turned on rarely,ect, ect)
Any feedback is appreciated,
Sean

kingcliff00

Dec 6, 2007
new york
can someone point me in the right direction to do this using a mac not new to android just the mac os i did pretty much everything but im stuck on the htc sync part HELPPP PLZ thanks

apexi350z

May 19, 2010
Houston
confirmed working with unrevoked root method. It can tether 3G or 4G, depends on how you connected to the Sprint network. 3G was 0.80Mbps DL, 4G was 2.63Mbps DL.

Before using unrevoked root method, I had applied the sdcard patch already. so it doesn't matter if you applied the sdcard patch or not (OTA updated).

thorpe24

Feb 17, 2010
You really shouldn't kill tasks. Just cycle the battery a couple of times and turn your antennas off and on when u need them. Especially if u are in spotty 3g coverage. There already one or two official write ups that say task killing is bad I use to do it and got forceloses and errors all the time. Its not about how many tasks you have running I.e. memory, items about cpu and antenna signal that kills you're battery I'll find the link if I can. My battery life is pretty good and I'm a heavy user.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

splicitysplat

May 5, 2008
i cannot get recovery bat file to work. I am at the red exclamation point screen on my evo and i run the bat file as amdmin. it pops up for a second then closes and nothing happens.

Edit: NVM I figured it out. on to the next step.

Last edited: